Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
Not sure if this is the right place to post this but i'm looking for a video card that can drive 3 displays. Two should just be a standard extended desktop on normal monitors and the third one is connected to a projector via hdmi which would need to mirror one of the monitors.

After watching this video it looks like the only way to do this would be to use the two dvi outputs to drive the monitors and a displayport to hdmi adapter for the projector? Is this possible or am I just getting it all wrong?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

Fame Douglas posted:

Pretty much any combination of ports will work. A single DP can drive multiple displays if they support DP 1.2 (tends to be finicky in terms of compatibility), and DVI - HDMI adapters are available as well (work on any DVI port, but no audio with most cards).

Not all DisplayPorts support HDMI output (but most do), so check that before you buy. Pretty much all modern cards come with three, four, or even five, outputs (typically 2x DVI, DisplayPort, HDMI), so you won't have much of a problem finding a card suitable to your needs.

Cheers, I was looking at something like this although i'm worried about the lack of actual dvi connectors. Does displayport also convert to dvi output?

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
My current card is an asus 6870 which I carried over from my last system and is stupidly loud compared to the rest of my pc. I was going to go with the msi 970 but after reading about the fan issues would going with gigabyte or asus be a better option?

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
Are palit a decent brand, they seem to be the only ones instock at the moment here? Or should I just put a preorder on an asus/msi 970?

Is this a reference cooler?

Edit: I also noticed this gainward one is still available.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
The only place I can find a review for that gainward card was a german site so that isnt much help, i'm assuming that reference cooled one isnt worth the extra price over an msi/asus?

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
Just ordered the MSI 970 from scan, seems like there arent any shortages here now. Do these things still have those stupid stickers on them? I guess the best way to do it is to use a hairdryer to heat the glue up a bit, that wont do any damage will it?

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
Oh boy I get a choice of 3 games I don't really care about and they can only be redeemed on uplay :geno:

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

Hamburger Test posted:

The sticker was most likely not the cause of the fan problems:

https://forum-en.msi.com/index.php?topic=183618.500

Oh great, I wish I ordered the asus one now. Its not happening to all of them is it?

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

The Gunslinger posted:

Of course not, don't sweat it man geez. Mine has been absolutely fine and I've only read a few isolated incidents of people with the fan issue. If by some stroke of bad luck you get a defective one you just RMA/return it, no big deal.

Yeah i'll just do that, I was just worried that I might have issues for the sake of saving £25 over the asus. I'm just looking forward to getting rid of my old leafblower 6870 now!

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
Got the card today, everythings working great! My cpu temps seem to have also dropped a few degrees even.

Is there a good guide to overclocking the 970?

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

BurritoJustice posted:

Supposedly it can damage the fan if removed roughly. Mine came off super easily and the card seems to be working fine. MSI did claim on their forums that they changed the stickers for the 980's and future 970's, so this could be a different sticker. My computer is so goddamn quiet now, wow.

E: Ahaha oh man, I can play BO2 max settings 200FPS cap without the fans even turning on. The dream is real.

My MSI 970 had a sticker but it was barely contacting the fan, more of it was on the surround and it came off super easy.

Only issue I had was caused by me oc'ing it slightly too high in afterburner :v:

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
I'm getting a fair amount of what looks like textures flickering on and off on my msi 970, its been fine for a while with a slight overclock. I just set msi afterburner to default but it stil seems to happen?

First I thought it was something to do with mods in ets2, but it seems to be doing it on Assetto Corsa, you see things flickering in the background and the shadows all seem to be flickering also. Have I broken something? or is this some sort of driver setting?

Tried downgrading the drivers but that hasnt made any difference? Is this card hosed? The highest temps ive seen are around 70c and that was doing the firestrike benchmark thingy.

track day bro! fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Dec 14, 2014

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

track day bro! posted:

I'm getting a fair amount of what looks like textures flickering on and off on my msi 970, its been fine for a while with a slight overclock. I just set msi afterburner to default but it stil seems to happen?

First I thought it was something to do with mods in ets2, but it seems to be doing it on Assetto Corsa, you see things flickering in the background and the shadows all seem to be flickering also. Have I broken something? or is this some sort of driver setting?

Tried downgrading the drivers but that hasnt made any difference? Is this card hosed? The highest temps ive seen are around 70c and that was doing the firestrike benchmark thingy.

Ok so i've updated the bios to the latest version on the msi site and taken off the steam beta client, i'm still getting weird flickering of textures. Is it safe to assume there is a problem with my card? Anything else I can check?

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
What would cause textures to randomly flick on and off in pretty much every game? This has been happening to my msi gtx970 for a while and i've tried updating drivers and updating the cards bios. It was fine for a couple of months and then all of a sudden i'd see things flickering, the card isnt overclocked or anything.

It doesnt happen often but its noticeable on occasion, games are still playable but i'm not sure what I should try before I go back to scan and complain the card isnt working.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

cisco privilege posted:

GDDR5 VRAM has error correction so it'll slow down performance if it encounters errors due to overclocking too far or insufficient voltage, but unlike GDDR3 it shouldn't result in texture issues unless there was something very wrong like memory controller damage. Might be a faulty card assuming the PSU isn't garbage, but I'd try a clean driver install first.

track day bro!, what's the model # of the power supply you're using? Also try completely uninstalling the GPU drivers in safe mode with Display Driver Uninstaller (hell, run it twice even) then install the latest drivers from Nvidia.

I've got a Seasonic G series 550w which I bought only a few months before. I'll try removing the drivers completely, I did try a slightly older driver with no difference.

Strangely I had a couple of months where the 970 was flawless, also my old 6870 was fine.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

track day bro! posted:

I've got a Seasonic G series 550w which I bought only a few months before. I'll try removing the drivers completely, I did try a slightly older driver with no difference.

Strangely I had a couple of months where the 970 was flawless, also my old 6870 was fine.

So I tried the driver uninstaller and did a clean install of the latest driver, made no difference. I also tried removing the oc on my 4670k, again still getting weird flickery shadows and far away textures flickering.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

cisco privilege posted:

Maybe try a different cable? Switch the port on the back of the card either to another DVI-D port or HDMI or whatever to see if that makes any difference.

I'll give that a go when I get a chance also, I also had Warframe C2D from a driver failure today after the clean driver install.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
Somebody is going to lend me an MSI R9 290 to see if I have the same texture flickering issues that I get with my 970. Do you recon my psu will be able to cope with it? I have the 550w version of this with a 4670k oc'ed to 4.4ghz.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

This is my entire build with the 290 if that helps, how accurate is that wattage estimate?
http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/JNhFqs

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

Ak Gara posted:

So from what I can gather, AMD is going for shear power while Nvidia is going more for max efficiency? Which then allows Nvidia to power up even more if the situation calls for it? Right?

So AMD is Vegeta and Nvidia is Goku right after the hyperbolic time chamber?

Does this mean that Nvida and Amd are going to fuse via the potara earrings to become Nvimd at some point?

As a 970 haver this thread is really making me want a 980ti, even though its total overkill for 1080p and it probably wouldnt work with a 550w psu? I'm still getting framedrops in ets2 at 200% scaling....

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
Is it worth trying to overclock an R9 290, its an MSI twin frozr model if that makes any difference. I''m assuming its not going to oc as well as my 970 with the same cooler, but will it make any difference on the 290?

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

veedubfreak posted:

Apparently some people don't understand the concept of "limited production".

I dunno about the US but theres tonnes of them here in europe mainly due to vw doing insanely cheap leasing deals. I'd hardly call it a limited production car.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

veedubfreak posted:

The US gets 1500ish a year. It's faster than an S3, is a hatch, and costs about 10k less than the one with the linked rings.

I didnt realise the us wasnt getting so few, seems like they'd sell a loads of them over there! I shared a garage with one at a track day (bro) last year and it was definitely a quick bit of kit!

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

sout posted:

Well good, I didn't think it was a problem because I haven't noticed any artefacting or crashes.
sidenote: opening a PC, even to blow condensed air at it, is still terrifying to me, luckily haven't had any issues with breaking stuff yet.

I'm in the uk and my MSI 970 idles at around 35c in my fairly cramped case, load temps vary from 60/70 depending on what i'm playing and thats with an overclock to 1450mhz.

I realy shouldnt read this thread because I keep looking at 980ti's but I wonder if my psu would cope, its a 6 month old seasonic 550w but I do have two platter drives, 32gb ram and a fairly healthy oc on my cpu. I just wonder if the 980ti might be pushing it a bit too much?

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
I cant remember the exact years I had most of these, I think the rage pro was 98 possibly?

ATI Rage Pro
Matrox G400 Only had one monitor though :downs:
Riva TNT2 Ultra
???? I had something in my old Athlon XP 2800 system but god knows what
ATi X1600 Pro (gifted by a friend)
AMD 6870
GTX 970 - Current Pc
R9 290 - Second Pc

I'm probably going to give the 970 to a friend to replace his 660ti which is a bit long in the tooth so I'm looking forward to see whats going to come out this year.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
I was pretty much nailed on to get a 1070, but after seeing the prices for the AIB ones I might as well splurge and go for the a 1080 FE which are pretty much the cheapest on scan.co.uk barring the base msi 1080.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

Blackfyre posted:

You may as well get a EVGA FTW or SC which are cheaper for the FE? I mean the FTW is 20 cheaper on Ebuyer than an FE etc, there are cheaper better cards than an FE.

Ah cheers, is there a site that compares the prices for cards anywhere?

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

Alchenar posted:

Overclockers have mentioned on their forums how the exchange rate shift completely wiped out their margin on pre-orders and they're now committed to several million worth of orders where they will either make nothing or a minor loss.

It's not supply/demand or anything to do with preorders, that price hike is because you are paying in sterling and the shop is paying in dollars.

Funny, yesterday I ordered a MSI FE 1070 from scan for £400, checked the prices a couple hours later and all the FE models are now £430. Also it looks like most of the aib cards got a price bump. I still dont get who is going to buy the Asus ROG card for £500+

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

Blackfyre posted:

Demand spike pricing I don't mind as it passes but the loving pound better get some power back I don't want my PC stuff costing way more as well as basic living stuff

I bought a 1070 from scan on tuesday and shortly after all the 1070s got a bit of a price bump, so its possibly my fault.

Also are there any guides to the new fancy overclocking thingy on these cards, it doesn't seem to be available on the current version of afterburner tho?

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

VulgarandStupid posted:

Trip report: don't buy a 1070 if you use Windows 10 Enterprise. You won't be able to update Windows or install your drivers.

I'm on Win 10 Enterprise and everything works fine with my 1070? Are you sure its not Enterprise LTSB?

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
My 1070 FE gets pretty drat hot with even a mild overclock of +100 on the core, I was obviously spoiled by my old 970s cooler. I'm thinking about getting that NZXT bracket and an aio for it. How stupid an idea is this?

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
Hmmm I mean i'm a bit weary of cracking open the gpu I've owned for about two weeks, I feel like the msi 970 I had spoiled me with how quiet it was in comparison to the FE blower. Even overclocked to 1500mhz the only time the fans were audible was during benchmarking.

I did want to get one with the msi cooler at the time, but when I bought it the FE was £400 and the msi gaming x was £450. At least I managed to sell the 970 for £200 :v:

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
Would the EVGA hybrid kit be quieter than the reference cooler and how does it control the fans? It should work with any FE card, so I'm kinda tempted to ditch the reference cooler on my msi 1070FE as its nowhere near as good as the msi open-air on my old 970.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
Welp ordered one should be here on Monday. Never done anything with a gpu apart from plugging it into the computer so should be a fun experience! 😜

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

Fauxtool posted:

im curious to see what kind of gains you get.
A before/after comparsion would be really interesting.

I can do +200 core for 2050 mhz on my 1070 fe without touching power or voltage. I'm totally satisfied with that so i never went any higher. From what I can tell its a decent OC for that gpu

I got to around 2000mhz before I got annoyed how loud the thing was under load and just reset everything back to std. If I have a chance i'll see what I can get out of mine on the reference cooler before the hybrid kit arrives.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
So I fitted the hybrid cooler to my 1070 last night, i've gotta say that the instructions included with the kit were pretty much useless or for a different model. But it was pretty straightforward after reading a guide on how to take the FE shroud/cooler off. Nicely the kit came with a load of screws that weren't needed, including the tiny ones for the fe backplate.

Idle temps are 22 and I don't think it went above 40 while running valley and firestrike stresstest, this seems pretty good seeing as the fe cooler would be showing high 70's running valley. Might have to change the fan on the rad because it's pretty loud and just seems to run at a set speed?

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

Fauxtool posted:

just plug the fan into a free header on the mobo. They also make bridges that undervolt the fans for lower speeds

Ugh, I just realized I'm going to have to remove the entire card and take apart the shroud to do that. I think my noctua cooler came with one of those bridges though. I'll probably have to anyway as I haven't even mounted the rad properly yet, just shoved it into the top part of the case where its supposed to go.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

Fauxtool posted:

The fan and pump are split off the single gpu header right? Cant you control it with whatever fan profile software you are using?

Does it properly ramp up when set to 100% and go silent at 0? It could just be an aggressive profile

Yeah there is a splitter, but the connection is under the shroud. I messed with the gpu fan speed in afterburner and it sounded like only the fan on the card was ramping up, i'll have to double check it later. It's surprising how little information there is on this kit though, I cant even find the manual on evga's website.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

The Electronaut posted:

I just installed it on a 1080 reference board. The fan mounted to the radiator is a 2 wire, no rpm state or pwm control. The only fan that is controllable is the board blower and it uses a mini 4 pin connector.

Seconding the poo poo instructions and poo poo pile of extra screws.

Ah I wasnt paying enough attention, I just assumed it did because the connector was also a 4 pin. Out of interest what sort of temps do you see? I haven't had a chance to use my pc since I fitted the card again and I only realy did a couple runs of stresstests. Obviously it's not gonna be the same because I have a 1070 but it would be interesting to know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

Toalpaz posted:

Thread, why do reference coolers look so drat cool, yet cool worse and cost more? This question vexes me.

I also bought a used 1070 Founders just now a week before the Ti is released and presumably drops all the Pascal card prices drop. Please ridicule me. The used price is just about what it looks like it would cost for a new one in a week. Then again it's only a year old so it's not like it's going to be broken or anything.

I hope it OC's okay.

I bought a FE 1070 because at the time the only cheaper cards were lovely non reference blowers. Stupid because I got annoyed how loud it was in comparison to the old msi 970 it replaced.

Ended up buying the evga hybrid cooler hoping it would be quieter. Problem is that the fan on the rad is a fixed speed and not quiet, plus the slight noise from the pump means its about as loud as the reference blower.

I mean i could swap the fan for something quiet and pwm but it means taking the entire pc apart due to how the rad is mounted. Bonus is that the card never gets hotter than 45 c and oc's pretty drat well.