Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

SpaceCadetBob posted:

I'm an old fart that hasn't built a computer in 8 years, and hasn't thought anything about computer building in the entire time since. Why the gently caress does everything suddenly have glowy bits on them. And uh, can you get them without or tun them off? I have no desire to see the inside of my computer throwing a rave while i'm trying to work CAD.

Gamers. There will be models from partner companies with more subdued designs like the MSI Ventus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Scarecow posted:

Anyone know when we can expect reviews?

Only outlet I'm aware of that has the card now is Digital Foundry. All the techtubers posted videos today talking about this morning's stream with some of them saying they're waiting for their review units.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

akadajet posted:

They didn’t allow digital foundry to talk about frames, just percentages on a few nvidia chosen titles.

Correct, embargo was super draconian and could only talk about relative performances. Nowhere near what I'd want to see from DF but I was just responding that someone actually has the card. In fact they've had it for week+ IIRC?

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

I at least look forward to GamersNexus reviews. Steven was maybe the one techtuber that asked the question of how hosed will your CPU cooling get skewed from the reference cooling design. Everyone else uses open air test rigs too much.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

I’m an idiot. Ignore this post.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Looks like MSI fixed up pages for some of their cards. The Gaming Trios are looking to be 323mm long and the Ventus 3X 305mm. The dual fan 3070 setups are still TBD on specs but should be much shorter of course. So if I'm gonna be sticking with MSI, it'll be the Ventus that will fit my Meshify C without much issue.

8-bit Miniboss fucked around with this message at 14:20 on Sep 2, 2020

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

If you want to see some MSI employees talk about Ampere cards. Currently live as of this post.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jfDqaDZITIc

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Rolo posted:

Are FE cards a limited run or can I definitely get one eventually if I miss the initial frenzy?

Their Nvidia's own fab of cards and they sell them throughout the generation. Founder's Edition usually means cards sold during the inital launch.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Sickening posted:

I haven't ever been on a hype train for a video card before. Do these things usually go on preorder or is it just going to go on sale the day of release? Either way do bots buy 90% of the supply?

The rona hosed up manufacturing plans for a lot of things. Expect to :f5: if you want to buy one at launch.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

th3t00t posted:

I wanted to set up an account on the nvidia store website, but there doesn't appear to be be one? When you click on the 30xx series you get a link to be notified by email when they become available. I tried poking around for other products sold be nvidia so I could still set up an account, but everything seems to be sold by partner companies and you get linked to their websites for purchase.

Does nvidia sell anything themselves on their website or is it all partners?

They partner with Digital River to handle logistics of their products (in NA at least) they sell on their store. When I ordered the new Nvidia Shield TV Remote, it came through them.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Just heard on the MSI Stream:

Nvidia is not allowing preorders across the board.

There will not be enough stock for everyone on launch day of course.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Nfcknblvbl posted:

I have been using nowinstock.net before but apparently there's a 10+min lag with them so that's why I'm trying out the extension I mentioned.

Don't use email notifications. It's always slow. Text is much more immediate.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Nfcknblvbl posted:

They don't send text messages to my carrier :(

They don't for me either which is why they suggest using TextNow. Works just as well.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

sean10mm posted:

"AMD’s superior 7nm process plays a huge role in the efficiency battle between these two CPUs. While the 9700K consumes ~180W during demanding multi-threaded tasks, the 3700X doesn’t go above ~135W and the latter even has SMT (Hyper-Threading) enabled. When we’re overclocking both CPUs, the Ryzen to 4.325GHz all core and the 9700K to 5.1GHz, power consumption remains in check for the 3700X at around 160W while the 9700K skyrockets to a whopping 235W. This is important if power consumption during multi-threaded tasks matters for you."

https://premiumbuilds.com/cpus/ryze...rs%20for%20you.

Intel overclocks better than AMD (to the point where I wouldn't bother OC'ing AMD to be honest), but at the expense of absolutely stupid increases in power & heat.

To be honest, I haven't touched manual overclocking on my Ryzen 3900X because the boost has been rather good and consistent with my cooler.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

I mean if you're someone that's been ignoring the ongoing global pandemic that caused China and Taiwanese manufacturers to completely stop for a period of time. You deserve what you get.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

MSI said similar in their stream earlier today.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Statutory Ape posted:

I suspect it has to do with the fact its easier than issuing refunds for somebody that snagged a card in one of the jillion ways to buy GPUs?

Maybe they figure people are less apt to complain about waiting to order a card rather than receive a card they've paid for

Held money is always a liability. Better to just take orders for stock they have on hand rather than dangle the carrot for however long it takes to get the next wave.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

mcbexx posted:

Hm. Tempting.

Asking for a friend:
How do you avoid getting scammed by shady fuckers one can only assume will be out in full force for a launch like this?

Only buy from reputable retailers with return policies and avoid anything to do with eBay/craigslist/offerup/whatever local local ad sites????

Edit: And in the case of sites that support 3rd party sellers like Amazon and Walmart, only buy direct from Amazon and Walmart.

8-bit Miniboss fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Sep 3, 2020

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

And we call it.... PC 2.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Rhaegar posted:

I know pre-orders have not been announced but does anyone have any tips for someone looking to pre-order these cards in Canada?

There will be no preorders as stated from multiple partners and Nvidia themselves.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Someone contacted Zotac about the cards that were on Amazon. Someone definitely jumped the gun.

Edit: Also, appears Japan will join Australia in not getting FE cards. But they are running a giveaway. :shepface:

https://twitter.com/NVIDIAGeForceJP/status/1301792616598601728

Google translate for the lower portion: We don't have any plans to sell Founders Edition in Japan so this is a valuable opportunity to get Founders Edition!

8-bit Miniboss fucked around with this message at 07:18 on Sep 5, 2020

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

Has there traditionally been any meaningful difference between MSI, Gigabyte, and EVGA's cards with preinstalled water blocks?

Not having to wait for a EK water block?

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Cancelbot posted:

Has a time been given for the 3080 release? Is it midnight UTC or some random hour of the day?

Been seeing 2PM BST.

Nvidia rep seems to confirm it: https://www.reddit.com/r/nvidia/comments/ilhao8/nvidia_rtx_30series_you_asked_we_answered/g4093n1/

8-bit Miniboss fucked around with this message at 11:40 on Sep 5, 2020

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Some Goon posted:

Yeah, they don't. They do let you order online and the staff will pull it for you to pick up, but they don't do that for limited quantity / high demand items. Probably just to get people into the store, they don't make any margin on the components themselves, same deal on their anti-scalping limits.

Yep, the store will have these on shelves first and reps have to go pick them up from there to fulfill in-store pickup orders, but since there will be a line of people outside of the door, they're not gonna bother and just prioritize the people who waited in line.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

They’re real...

https://twitter.com/VideoCardz/status/1302944662341201921

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

DrDork posted:

That's the same "leak/rumor" from before. If such a card does ever exist, it won't be for a good while.

Yeah this is old and also most likely not accurate as it had the 3080's listed with GDDR6 ram instead of GDDR6X. Those entries have since been removed.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Xbox Series X price has been confirmed and EA Play is joining GamePass which is making a strong value proposition for some people. Hopefully this means a few 30 series cards will live a little bit longer on the shelf for people to buy.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Jinnigan posted:

Can someone do me a favor and translate these results into english

How about a chart instead:

https://twitter.com/Nibellion/status/1303695962469273601

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Statutory Ape posted:

I like buying from B&H Photo, personally. Their shipping rivals (or beats, frankly) Amazon's. Idk if they're still not charging tax to anybody outside of NY/NJ, but that saved me about a component's worth of $ last time I built.

They also give their ppl the sabbath off every week which is neat

Yes, they're charging sales tax now. But they have a scheme in place where they have their own store card and you are given a cashback reward on purchases made through it on the value of the sales tax and immediately applied on the purchase.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

People using NowInStock, there's a notice on the RTX3080 page now that says you might want to join their Discord or Telegram channel and setup notifications for it.

https://www.nowinstock.net/computers/videocards/nvidia/rtx3080/#comment-5063275755

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Yeah the false positive will happen as they add SKUs to the tracker. Those cards weren't there before.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

MarcusSA posted:

Man I walk away for 20 min.

Oh well Zotac still has my back.

I had a 1 on 1 with my boss ironically during that time giving me my notice of getting a bonus that would have funded a 3080. :shepface:

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

NewEgg taking no chances, lol:

https://www.newegg.com/evga-geforce-rtx-3080-10g-p5-3897-kr/p/N82E16814487518

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Pretty much why I made a short list of potential cards I want to buy that will fit my Meshify C without taking out the front fan:

Nvidia 3080 FE - 285mm
MSI 3080 Ventus - 305mm
EVGA 3080 XC3 - 285.37mm
EVGA 3080 FTW3 - 300mm

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Cinara posted:

If I have a Meshify C with a front Radiator + fan am I just hosed then? I didn't break out the tape measure yet but this is pretty dire sounding.

If you can't fit it to the top, most likely. The 315mm length measurement assumes fan only. A radiator on average adds what, 25-30mm more?

Edit: The FE is the smallest 3080 I'm aware of currently. The 3070 FE would fit at 242mm.

8-bit Miniboss fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Sep 10, 2020

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Oh well, if that's the plan, then yes that should fit. AIB boards appear to be the length of their associated fin stacks for the most part. So an FE is your best bet.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Kingnothing posted:

Has Nvidia even talked about adding an AIO to the FE? Based on how that thing looks I could see it being an absolute nightmare to remove. Or even it be a structural piece that is required to keep the pcb stable.

I'd expect any waterblock designed for the FE would take it into account and include a backplate for stability.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Cinara posted:

According to Fractal, the Meshify C has 315mm with a fan, and 335 without, which doesn't make sense if fans are 25mm thick. My current rad is 26mm so TECHNICALLY it would fit a 285mm card if the 315mm space is correct, but that's cutting it a bit close.

Another (bad) option is I could just remove the middle fan on that front rad and only use the top and bottom one.

This was something I noticed too when I was going through the manual before buying the case and the only thing I could come up with was maybe FD was accounting that some GPU's would have their power connectors at the front edge of the card rather than the top.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Taima posted:

Do the AIBs ever bin based on the "level" of the sku? As in, the cheap base card vs the AORUS MASTER within the same model.

Yes, that's why they usually have a few different models. i.e. The EVGA FTW3 vs the XC3, the MSI Gaming Trio X vs Ventus, etc. It sort of became less important as Nvidia limits overvolting now so overclocking it's a pretty thin margin the last generation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

K8.0 posted:

Pretty sure GN asked a few AIB partners at the engineering level and was told that none of them did and they were sure no one else did either because it would destroy their margins. Far too much work for essentially no benefit.

This much is true, again, with Nvidia limiting overvolting, it's capped off potential (unless you shunt mod I suppose). Seems like this generation it's up to whatever cooling solution rules supreme, water cooling not withstanding.

Edit: Appears EVGA is clocking (not binned) FTW3 Ultras higher than standard FTW3’s:

https://twitter.com/evga_jacobf/status/1303418923254120448?s=21

8-bit Miniboss fucked around with this message at 06:12 on Sep 10, 2020