Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

gawrsh do you think any women will be there

So I just got a really good deal on a mostly built computer. It has an Asus P6T SE motherboard, several hard drives, a single GTX560 and some other nifty bells and whistles, all assembled, for a pretty reasonable price. As I got a fairly good deal, and having not built a new desktop in an extremely long time, I decided to splurge on a second GTX560 just to see how far the technology has come.

Problem is, the Asus P6T SE doesn't seem to natively support SLI. However, I stumbled across this:

http://www.overclock.net/t/586111/newegg-ob-p6t-se-for-145-cross-flash-to-p6t-240-board

Apparently it isn't too hard to unlock the SLI feature by flashing it to a P6T, but you have to gently caress around with the board to do so. This worries me immensely. Is it a stupid risk and not worth taking, or is it actually relatively simple? I've also heard CoolBits could accomplish the same feat, but I have no idea how that program works.

Thanks in advance, folks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

Gwaihir posted:

A P6T is old enough to likely be out of warranty anyhow, so go for it!

For real though, it looks like there is no more risk doing this than there is when updating the bios normally, which is to say, there shouldn't be much of any risk at all, so long as your power does not go out in the middle of the flash.

So I did it, and I have SLI enabled now!! :neckbeard:

However, I just booted up Metro2033 to give this thing a run and the screen turned completely back and the computer was entirely unresponsive for a few minutes, no CTRL+ALT+DEL, no ALT+TAB, no mouse visible, etc. The task manager and mouse showed up a few minutes later. I'm gonna reinstall the latest Nvidia drivers and hopefully that will clear this issue up, any other tips/ideas as to why the screen went black and my computer became unresponsive? I am extremely new to SLI setups so I am very much just dipping my toe in the waters with all this.

I just installed GPU-Z and it says I have both GPUs enabled but I'm getting weird crashes where the drivers stop responding. Any ideas why?

dorkasaurus_rex fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Jun 30, 2012

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

As an addendum, I totally hosed up my computer and have spent most of my day just trying to get the thing to work the way it was before. I'm selling my two GTX560s and using it to recoup the cost of a GTX680 I purchased to replace them. Now I'm getting some bizarre "reboot and select proper boot device" error message that apparently I need to go through this hell to fix.

Lesson learned.