Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dick Fagballzson
Sep 29, 2005
Picked up an MSI R9 290X along with an i7-4770k, Asus Sabertooth Z87 board, and 16GB Corsair DDR3 on newegg earlier today. I'll be upgrading from a Core 2 Quad Q6600 based system I've been using since early 2007, so this should be a massive upgrade. The incredible performance for the price and extremely high praise the 290X has received from all of the tech sites finally convinced me that maybe it was time to put my almost 7 year old system out to pasture. Also, the new consoles are just around the corner and it would be embarrassing if consoles are faster than my gaming PC.

Dick Fagballzson fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Oct 25, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dick Fagballzson
Sep 29, 2005
I haven't unfortunately. I'm still using a GTX 460 from 2010 that replaced an 8800 GTS. The next gen consoles are a good deal faster than a GTX 460. I believe the GPU in the PS4 is roughly on par with a Radeon 7850.

Oh well, I'll be all caught up hardware-wise after this upgrade. And the 290X is so far beyond what the consoles will be running I can sleep easy knowing that future games will run fine. 290X is to the PS4 what the 8800GTX was to the PS3 essentially.

Dick Fagballzson fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Oct 25, 2013

Dick Fagballzson
Sep 29, 2005
So if this thing ends up being too loud/hot when it arrives, I guess I could just throw some aftermarket Zalman cooler on it or something? Even with the added cost of that, it's still a good deal compared to the 780 and Titan, so I'm fine with that. Will my Corsair TX 650 V2 be able to handle this card? I just have one SSD and one HDD, so I don't think my setup is especially power hungry. It would just be for the time being. Will probably pick up something better when newegg has a good deal on a more powerful Seasonic or Corsair.

Dick Fagballzson fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Oct 25, 2013

Dick Fagballzson
Sep 29, 2005
If supplies of the 290X remain scarce, I wonder if nVidia will respond to it at all. It does undercut their top end cards, but if most people can't get their hands on one, and it is for all intents and purposes a paper launch, it really isn't much of a threat.

Dick Fagballzson
Sep 29, 2005
Will a Corsair TX 650 V2 be adequate for an R9 290X?

Also, what do you guys think will happen to the Titan? Will nVidia knock it down to $550? That seems reasonable as the Titan and the 290X are comparable cards.

Dick Fagballzson fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Oct 28, 2013

Dick Fagballzson
Sep 29, 2005
I'm probably going to dump my 780 Ti for an 8GB 980 when those become available. The 780 Ti is a would be great card with a crapload of fast CUDA cores that's completely hamstrung by its lack of VRAM, and it really shows in some of these terribly optimized console ports that are coming out. Video cards are going to need at least 8GB VRAM going forward due to the 8GB unified RAM on the Xbone and PS4. Developers like Ubisoft don't really care about the lower VRAM on the PC. They're going to keep designing their games with the idea in mind that they will have at least 4-6GB VRAM available for the GPU. I'm actually rather disgusted that AMD and nVidia weren't shipping mainstream cards with more VRAM much sooner. The PS4 has 8GB 256-bit GDDR5 and it's only $400, so clearly more VRAM is doable at a decent price. It was clearly a move so that people would have to upgrade when it became clear that 3 and 4GB VRAM weren't going to cut it. I'm also really disgusted with my 780 Ti. I don't think I've seen a video card age this poorly since maybe the late 90s or early 2000s. Less than a year later and a $330 card has identical performance, and it's obsolete due to lack of VRAM. Good thing it was a birthday present and I didn't actually pay money for it or I would be even more pissed with this almost instantly outdated piece of junk.

Dick Fagballzson fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Oct 31, 2014

Dick Fagballzson
Sep 29, 2005

cisco privilege posted:

This is why you should never get a $699 MSRP toy peripheral for children's games.

You're preaching to the choir. The last card I bought for myself was a $200 GTX 460 in 2010. The 780 Ti was a gift. I'm just disgusted by how poorly it aged. Edit: which looking at ebay hasn't retained its value at all so maybe I won't be getting an 8GB 980, lol.

Dick Fagballzson fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Oct 31, 2014

Dick Fagballzson
Sep 29, 2005
If Shadow of Mordor, Evil Within, Watch Dogs, and Assassin's Creed Unity are any indication, nearly all upcoming multiplatform games are going to need 4GB+ VRAM even at 1080p not to be stuttery messes.

nVidia is stringing us along to make more money. Cards with 8GB VRAM should be standard at this point. If the PS4 can deliver 8GB 256-bit GDDR5 for $400, there's no reason we shouldn't have at least that given what some of these cards cost.

Dick Fagballzson fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Oct 31, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dick Fagballzson
Sep 29, 2005
I have the Asus 980 Strix and it's dead silent. No coil whine either.