Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ardlen
Sep 30, 2005
WoT

Sereri posted:

Or should I wait for the (probably 299€) 760 ti?
It doesn't look like they are planning to release a 760 ti. The 760 should be the last new NVIDIA release this year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ardlen
Sep 30, 2005
WoT

Mine has been crashing and recovering with the 320.49 drivers. Although the one time I was running Precision X it did a hard-lock.

Ardlen
Sep 30, 2005
WoT

Magic Underwear posted:

It's a cool idea but I think you guys are overestimating how well it's going to be adopted. Going off the fact that the only monitor being sold with the chip installed is 120hz and $400, the target market is pretty small. I don't think g-sync will ever get beyond the high-end enthusiast market. Even among those people the proportion that use 120hz is not that great.
It doesn't have to be used on 120Hz monitors. The articles I read had improvements aimed at running at 40-50 fps.

Ardlen
Sep 30, 2005
WoT

Agreed posted:

I can find no performance difference between PCI-e 2.0 16x and PCI-e 2.0 8x on my GTX 780, which as I've noted previously is a pretty good but not one-of-a-kind overclocker. This makes me happy as it allows me to keep using the PhysX card, until that finally goes away as a concept. :)
Additionally, this means that PCI-e 1.0 16x also has a minimal performance penalty.

Ardlen
Sep 30, 2005
WoT

Factory Factory posted:

I would have to Google VHDL just to tell you whether I know it or not. Computer science is not my forte.

E: I've never seen it before in my life.

I did find a blog post about a guy hacking a $20 HDMI color-timing widget for Buttcoin mining, though - maybe that same device could be hacked up to do what I need, already assembled. Can JTAG be used for communications, not just programming?

JTAG really is not designed for communications. Most FPGAs have Ethernet though. They also have high-speed serial ports and PCIe if you are feeling ambitious.

Ardlen fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Dec 20, 2013

Ardlen
Sep 30, 2005
WoT

Intel could do 22nm for them; they have a contract foundry program.

They are already fabbing ARM chips.

Ardlen
Sep 30, 2005
WoT

In low end news, Nvidia launched the GT 740. It looks like a rebranded GT 650, using the same GK107 architecture and selling for around $100. There is even a 4GB option.

Ardlen
Sep 30, 2005
WoT

K8.0 posted:

It's honestly stupid that we have this cultural bent against it. If stores had aggressively responded to increasing toilet paper, alcohol, etc sales with increased prices back in March, we wouldn't have had supply dry up.
Price Gouging is both wrong and illegal in many places.

Ardlen fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Sep 9, 2020

Ardlen
Sep 30, 2005
WoT

Rolo posted:

I got a notification in almost immediately for the two fan one. I don’t know anyone that needs one so if I get it ahead of others I’ll sell it here for cost.
Speaking of which, has there been any information about the difference between the two fan and three fan evga models? I noticed the two fan 3060ti only has a single 8 pin and the three fan has two.

Ardlen
Sep 30, 2005
WoT

Paul MaudDib posted:

Best Buy’s site tomorrow morning, probably 11-11:30.
This advice aged poorly.

Ardlen
Sep 30, 2005
WoT

gradenko_2000 posted:

6800XT
3070, roughly equal to 2080Ti
3060Ti, roughly equal to 2080 Super
2070 Super
1080Ti
5700XT
2060 Super, roughly equal to 5700 [non-XT]
Do we know where the 3060 will sit yet?

Ardlen
Sep 30, 2005
WoT

EVGA extended their pre-tariff price deadline for Step-up and their notify queue to May 14th.

It was going to end on April 16th, so that's nice.

Ardlen
Sep 30, 2005
WoT

Paul MaudDib posted:

With the move to Founders Edition branding at the pascal launch, NVIDIA also started committing to ongoing production throughout the generation. Maybe that’s changed now, or maybe it’s just going to be very limited, but that is explicitly what they claimed when they started using that branding, that it was going to continue for the life of the product.
Maybe they consider the LHR to be a different product line, so the life of the FHR version is ending?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ardlen
Sep 30, 2005
WoT

repiv posted:

I don't know much about FPGAs, how quickly can they be reprogrammed? Could you practically switch between different FPGA cores in a 10-15ms frame interval or would everything you need in a frame need to be packed into one big core?
Normal FPGAs take seconds to reprogram, although they could be using partial reconfiguration to speed things up.