Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

Oh, what? So now I suppose you're just going to sit there and pout?
I'm looking at picking up a new Nvidia GPU in the ~$350-400 range. Is the GTX 770 a good choice? Is there anything else I should be looking at?

Edit: This will be backed by an i5-2500K, if that matters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

ClassH posted:

If you want to stick to the the bottom of that range I grabbed this one for $329.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814121770

I wanted nvidia and also the 2 of the 3 games that came with it were pretty important. The newest bios for that card ups the clocks a little bit also so take that in mind when you look at reviews.

Thanks, I ended up going with the EVGA SC version of the 770 GTX. It was $350 before tax, but I did a price match with Best Buy where I had a $180 gift card.

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

Zero VGS posted:

Did you make sure to ask for the vidyagame vouchers? The Bestbuy site doesn't mention the Assassin's Creed or Splinter Cell but it does say all the 770's get Batman. If you forgot I'd go back with the receipt and try to scoop them up if they have em.

I actually bought AC4 already. That and Watch Dog's are the main reason I'm upgrading. Gotta have those max settings.

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

I picked up a 770 a week or so back, and while I love the performance I'm getting out of it I'm worried I made a mistake getting a 2GB edition. I can do EVGA's step up program to a 3GB 780 for around ~150 or a 780TI for ~250. Both could be doable, but I'm not sure it's worth it. I want to hold on to this card for at least 2 years.

LASER BEAM DREAM fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Dec 2, 2013

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

fookolt posted:

What resolution are you playing at?

1080P

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

Factory Factory posted:

On that note, I actually looked into Litecoin mining last night, even to the point of setting it up and hashing a couple work units to get a real-world benchmark of my costs.

The biggest limiting factor wasn't actually compute; it was the distribution of workloads. My 680 cleared a workload at 600 KHash/hour, but with all the transmission overhead, I was actually pulling only ~126 on average. Apparently my post-tuning results never would have gotten much past 200 KHash/hour. Part of my profitability assumption was that I'd only be able to cash out half the "value," so by that measure, it was so barely profitable (maybe $15 a month with my current power costs) that it wouldn't be worth the noise.

I may return to it once I move back to school, because 1) utilities are covered by loans, so cash flow won't be a problem, 2) a high first-month bill means I could mine the first month then stop, and enjoy a little extra grocery money that'll only take 40 years to pay off, and 3) if the coins stayed profitable, it'd help with summer expenses (during which I get no loans and would not mine).

Fiat currency is valued solely by its ability to convert to goods and services, yeah, without a link to any physical goods. It's not so much bullshit as an abstraction, though; fiat currency is like virtualizing your barter so it's hardware-independent. (The BitCoin DifferenceTM is that butts aren't issued by a government.)

The thing is, Bitcoin isn't very convertible for goods, services, or other non-funnymoney currencies. 1 Bitcoin is worth US $1100 according to exchanges, but go ahead, try to buy the week's groceries for that Bitcoin. I guarantee that if it works at all, it'll feel more like bartering your car than paying with money. Butts are monopoly money because it pretends to be money but isn't.

Not to turn this into Litecoin chat, but I set up the CUDA Litecoin miner on my GTX770 during a break at work. Looks like I can get .11 LTC a day which works out to ~$5. Since my utilities are allocated across my whole building and I never pay more than $60 a month, I don't see the harm in running it. Don't think I'll hold on to them, though. I can't imagine this will last too long.

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

DrDork posted:

Hopefully that'll be resolved here with the next set.

I don't drop into this thread very often. Do we have a rough idea of when Nvidia will start their next line? Obviously, current circumstances are going to affect the release date.

Edit: I recently bought an LG B9 and it has me wanting to do native 4K more than ever. I would also be nice to drive ultra settings on my 3440X1440 screen.

LASER BEAM DREAM fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Mar 26, 2020

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

I also just submitted an order from Dell around 5 minutes ago and received a confirmation. The delivery date says October 27th, so I'm happy if that's the case.

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

Dell now shows sold out for the 3080 X Trio. drat, I guess I really did get one! Thanks to everyone who posted about it in this thread.

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

Here's something random: While waiting for my 3080 I decided to play with Control's RTX settings on my 1080TI. Imagine my surprise when I was able to run it with all settings turned to high at 60FPS... while rendering at 1280x540 with an upscale to 3440x1440. Still, it's pretty cool, and playable!

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

Are Zotac considered reputable nowadays? I remember maybe 10 or 15 years ago when they were considered a "value" brand.

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

Oh my god, this is hideous; I love it!

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

Cygni posted:

https://twitter.com/VideoCardz/status/1349288714862788610

MSI goin all the way down/back to H310 with resizable bar BIOS support, dang

I'm probably SOL on my ASRock z370 TaiChi and 8700K, right?

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

Dell finally cancelled my MSI 3080 order from back in October. I was sure they would eventually deliver, but I guess not.

Can someone post the ATR Stonks Discord invite? I guess I'm looking for a 3090 now.

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

My company VERY unexpectedly dropped a small bonus, and I have $1000 back from Dell for a failed MSI RTX 3080 order. If I'm going to buy a scalped card on Amazon is there anything to look out for? This PNY RTX 3090 is "only" $250 over what I'm seeing as the "normal" listing at other retailers and is sold by a decently reviewed vendor.

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

DrDork posted:

Unless you need it TODAY, if you have the ability to do the Discord drop thing, I'd recommend you do that at least for a week. 3090's are typically a lot easier to snag from a BB/NewEgg/Zotac drop than 3080's are, so you could be saving yourself a considerable amount of money that way.

As far as actually selecting cards...not really. PNY's are fine, if basic. They'll run a little hotter/louder than ones with better cooling solutions, but they'll work. Kinda like Zotac in that regard.

Thanks, I'll sit in ATR for a while. I actually saw a few cards on Newegg yesterday but wasn't able to get them into the cart.

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

Enos Cabell posted:

loving hell, I listed it just after I made this post, with a 7 day auction and buy it now price of $600. It already sold in the space between these two posts. Should have asked even more!

This is really great to hear. I’ve got a EVGA 1080TI SC2, so that should offset the cost of a new card nicely.

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

I'm planning to dump my 1080TI soon. Am I going to have trouble selling on eBay if my account is fresh?

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

Shipon posted:

Germany is lobbying Taiwan to get TSMC to focus production on automotive chips in exchange for expedited vaccine deliveries, in case you haven't heard a more dystopian headline for the day.

https://wccftech.com/tsmcs-chip-for-vaccine-swap-to-delay-integrated-circuit-chip-production/

They should absolutely do this if it will save a single life, and at the same time, I am sad that I will probably never get a 3080.

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

Has anyone tried getting an Amphere card from Microcenter in Dallas? I'm considering trying my luck, but it's a 40-minute drive so I'd like to make as few attempts as possible.

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

Kunabomber posted:

I got a few videocards from Dallas Microcenter.

Show up at midnight and stay all night, you'll get a GPU most days except for Sunday (no shipments that day), just not guaranteed to be a 3080.

drat... I'll have to see how dedicated I feel.

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

KS posted:

This is going to sound wacky but my asus monitor did this when its external power brick was too close to other cables.

Also it's not this, is it?

https://twitter.com/royvanrijn/status/1214162400666103808?lang=en

How? Why?

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

change my name posted:

Holy poo poo, audiophiles were right. Time to buy 30 feet of pure gold cable for $10,000

For real though, if you're using a DAC I heartily recommend picking up a ground loop isolator. The electrical interference caused by a video card and poorly isolated motherboards can be annoying. If you hear discrepancies in your audio, especially when your GPU is under heavy load, check one out.

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

stonks

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

bus hustler posted:

wow does this ever chap my rear end, you're selling botting services and cards above MSRP & the profit isnt enough to "pay off this gpu" that $13 a day (at best) is meaningful enough to just go "eh gently caress it, nuke the planet"

its not great thinking but an individual who has taken a bath on availability & endless price increases trying to recoup their investment is still morally different than a scalper keeping a card then claiming financial hardship to pay it off.

and to be clear i dont generally give a single poo poo about your f5 services, its totally fine, but to then claim you need to do this to pay off the card is literally loving rich

I don't see how selling his time to get hard to obtain items has any bearing on deciding to offset the cost of a card he decided to keep by mining. I might feel differently if someone instead just sniped dozens of cards with the sole intent of mining.

Disclosure: I used his service to buy a card.

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

gradenko_2000 posted:

unless you have a LOT of gently caress you money to burn, I wouldn't really think of buying another 3000-series card if you already have a 3000-series card

I managed to get a 3070 about 6 months ago, and I'm really itching for a 3090. My use cases are driving current games on a 1440p ultrawide @ 120HZ and a 4K TV @ 60HZ. The 3070 is nearly there, but an extra 30% of performance would make everything silky.

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

I would take any of the three I could get my hands on, but after spending 6 months getting a 3070, my tolerance for sitting on a Discord is low.

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

Has anyone heard more on the Best Buy drop rumor? Would it be insane to show up at my local store when they open?

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

Thanks, I’ve got a 3080 in our finally. It only took a year and change!

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

I've got an 8700K and I've been eyeing a new CPU. When is gen 12 intel slated to release?

E: October 27th pre-order, Nov 4th release, if leaks are to be believed.

LASER BEAM DREAM fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Sep 27, 2021

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

Crunchy Black posted:

People itt thinking that supply chains, especially with regard to silicon, are ever going back to "normal" without a horrendous, paradigm-shifting realignment of capital are ADORABLE :allears:

In a way, I would almost be okay with that so long as the cards were actually attainable. This year-long struggle to get a card has been a silly, needless stress.

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

Mr. Neutron posted:

The 3080 XC3 Ultra seems to run very hot, or it is perhaps my case?

75-80 degrees Celsius while at full load (Q2 RTX). Barely any margin left for summer months...

Thats funny, I just replaced a 3070 XC3 Ultra with a 3080 XC3 Ultra, and the 3080 runs 3 degrees cooler. The 3070 would sit at 85C, but the 3080 hovers at 80-81C.

Maybe the cards just have some variance in them.

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

repiv posted:

Regardless of Nvidia's motives the question was "why isn't DLSS more common in games" and part of that is "developers had to jump through hoops to get the SDK and approval until 3 months ago"

For UE4 games it was easier as the plugin was released back in February, but the standalone SDK for integrating into other engines was only made public pretty recently

I follow the development for Satisfactory pretty closely, and in a recent video, their community manager mentioned that they have the option to enable DLSS in their current version of UE, but haven't yet because they lack testing abilities.

Lack of hardware availability seems to affect everyone.

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

I've run into a unique situation. I bought a small fan to place under my desk as the RTX 3080 actually started to make things uncomfortably warm.

The fan works great, but it completely fucks the HDMI signal to my TV. I spent 2 hours pulling apart my cable management, thinking I'd hosed up a cable, but I really just needed to unplug the little bastard.

How can reduce or eliminate the electrical interference? Google is giving me articles on PCB design when I search.

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

It's supposed to be a very good cable!

Cable Matters Active 48Gbps Ultra HD 8K Long HDMI Cable with HDR

Edit: The cable is powered by a micro USB cable that is plugged into the same source as the fan. Will that cause an issue?

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

I'm listing my used RTX 3070 on Facebook marketplace today. Any tips to ensure I don't get hosed over? I'm only planning to do an in-person sale with cash.

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

Thanks, everyone! I'll report back if I don't get stabbed

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

Alchenar posted:

Here's a weird graphics thing I've noticed in the last week - every so often when using Edge (and only Edge) in a window, Window 10 will dim my background but not the window and then if I move the mouse returns to fully lit. Doesn't happen any other time, no other graphics corruption, bugs, weird things happening at all. Anyone got any ideas?

I have the same thing in Chrome. Something funky with Webkit and current drivers maybe?

Weirdly, I've been playing Terraria a lot, and so long as the game is up and running in a window the issue does not persist. The OS / driver seems to need a kick to dump the bad frame, and a game does that every frame.

e: EVGA RTX 3080, driver ver 496.49

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

In my case, I'm not currently using an HDR monitor, though I have a TV plugged in, powered off, and it supports HDR. It triggers on by default when switching displays.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

Is this it? Are things finally getting a little better?