Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
I want to double check about the power stuff.

So, PSUs all come with standard 6+2 modular cables.

The FE will use a micro-fit Molex 12 pin connector.
AIB cards may use the 12-pin but will probably use traditional 2x 6(8) configuration

FE cards will ship with an adapter for 2x 8->12 so no requests for cables necessary.
AIB cards that use 12-pin won't ship with adapters so you'll have to get one from the PSU maker...?
AIB cards that use 2x 6(8) pin are just standard.

Did I get this right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.

repiv posted:

almost, but so far zero AIBs have adopted the 12pin, and some of them are using 3x8pin instead of 2x8pin (depends on the model)

So why are people asking for adapters? It sounds like the only card that needs is the FE but the FE ships with an adapter. Or is it solely to bypass any adapters going from PSU to card?

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.

FuturePastNow posted:

Oh yeah they're gonna manufacture one run of GPUs and then shut down that fab for three months, that's exactly how that works

No no, they're going to hold on to all the stock until the holiday rush is over so everyone can focus on buying these cards without being distracted by other stuff.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.
I worked stocking a retail store once and even that was awful. Imagine having to deal with CUSTOMERS.

And for that lovely pay. And this year, too.

But oh boy howdy if I have to wait an extra few days or weeks for a toy, I'm going to be mad!

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.

it does nothing

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.

reddit poster posted:

I GOT ONE rear end loving by Nvidia's vaporware launch

I chuckled

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.

jisforjosh posted:

Once again proving that Nvidia is a software company

It isn't entirely surprising or illogical that Nvidia doesn't do their own manufacturing. The technical knowledge needed to design a chip and the knowledge needed to produce a chip are much further apart than some people might think.

Similarly, designing a board and putting it together are separate things that don't necessarily have to go together. Not that they could make designs without any manufacturing considerations but manufacturing itself is a field that doesn't really care what it's actually putting together, just so long as they do it properly.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.
I have finally seen the fabled "Add to Cart" button!

And back out of stock :(

Or maybe not. EVGA_JacobF replied to a "already gone" tweet saying "hold on"

totalnewbie fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Sep 23, 2020

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.

Kingnothing posted:

Jacob deleted his in stock/hold on tweets. This is so dumb and I hate myself for being part of it.

He just tweeted

quote:

Yes. Technically still in stock but slow. Still some more optimization to do.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.

Sphyre posted:

frantically refreshing https://secure.evga.com/Cart/Checkout_Payment.aspx in solidarity with TastyShrimpPlatter

Me too aaaand

quote:

The EVGA product with Part Number(s): (10G-P5-3897-KR) was automatically removed from your shopping cart due to insufficient stock.

welp

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.
^^^ he might as well just get another 3080.

chaleski posted:

When Wiis were impossible to get my local Circuit City (rip) was handing out paper slips to people in line and my buddy sold his to a guy for $200

I remember going into a Best Buy on a whim a week before Christmas and it was just sitting on the shelf. I think people were still buying them off of Ebay at that point.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.
A few cards came into stock on newegg, I tried to check out a few times, now newegg thinks I'm a bot and I can't use it at all.

Nice.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.

acksplode posted:

I'm getting that error too when I try to look at my cart lol. It comes and goes

I tried to add something different to cart and got a captcha and now it seems to be working fine.

Apparently I wasn't logged into newegg (even though I was?) though and in the time it took me to log in, welp. (first time around)

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.
Looks like Nvidia is pretty on the ball with shipping and sending things out priority or whatever. I managed to snag an FE on Thursday and just got a shipped alert with delivery on Sunday via Fedex. I think there was a lot of discussion previously about how long it was taking to process orders and actually get cards shipped out but looks like they've got that sorted now.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.
I managed to snag one Thursday. I even had to re-log-in to the nvidia website. Clicked the checkout button (had the direct link available but forgot to use it) and went through. My CC info was saved in the browser and I know the security code so that didn't trip me up. Looked after I grabbed it and it was sold out, so I got pretty lucky. I basically spent 2 seconds looking at the link to see what it was after I got the ping and before clicking.

So.. still going quickly but at least possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.

DrDork posted:

Unknown. NVidia says they're good, though, and that they're making more cards than they did for the 20-series launch. But absent actual numbers to back that up, it's on you to decide whether you want to take them at their word or not.

It's also basically expected that when ramping up from SOP, yields are worse. There's just a lot of poo poo that can go wrong in manufacturing, sometimes even really mundane* poo poo, and over time these kinks get worked out but it does take time.

You also don't go from 0 -> 100% capacity overnight. That also takes time.

* I mean even simple poo poo that shouldn't happen but invariably does, like oh we normally use 600 nm lasers in our process but this takes a 400 nm laser and technical maintenance didn't know / work instructions unclear / whatever and so they replaced a faulty laser with a 600 nm version and now this entire lot is unusable. RIP yields. It SHOULDN'T happen but sometimes, poo poo just happens in manufacturing.

totalnewbie fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Oct 7, 2020