Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

literally a hog
Jan 5, 2006

Mandarrrrrk! Bring me the head of Dexter and Dee Dee shall forever be yours!
http://www.hexus.net/tech/news/graphics/113771-mid-high-end-graphics-card-price-increases-forecast-q1/

Hexus posted:

A report published earlier today by Taiwan's DigiTimes asserts that we will have to digest graphics card price rises in the very near future. With "increasing product costs caused by the tight supply of memory devices and GPUs," it is expected that both mid-and high-end graphics cards will have to be priced at between US$5-20 extra in Q1 2018.

The report adds that there is still a considerable demand for consumer graphics cards for enthusiast cryptocurrency mining. That activity had been expected to wane but a wide range of cryptocurrencies have recently shot up in value having a big impact on the economics of GPU-based mining. DigiTimes industry contacts said that Asus, Gigabyte, and MSI have all benefitted from the cryptocurrency craze with only a mild slowdown in demand from this sector in Q4 2017.

Another point of pressure on the market has come from the wildly popular PlayerUnknown's Battlegrounds. This Unreal Engine game doesn't perform agreeably without some considerable modern GPU muscle behind it and it is thus stoking demand for GPUs. Conensus is that gamers need an Nvidia GeForce GTX 1060 for 1080p PUBG action, with AMD alternatives not really economically viable. For this reason we had the news a week ago, regarding the GeForce GTX 1060 5GB GDDR5 version being released to Chinese cyber-café owners.

In a related story, we heard only last week that memory chip price fixing was being investigated by China's economic regulator body, the NDRC. Depending upon that organisation's findings we could see memory price corrections later this year.

Here in the UK the value of the GBP isn't far off the 10 year low against the New Taiwanese Dollar (NTD), which doesn't help with graphics cards prices here. Back in 2008 £1 could have bought 65 NTD, after 2008 it settled for the next seven years or so to a value range of 45 to 55 NTD. Shortly after the Brexit vote shock it was only worth 38 NTD. Today a pound can buy 40 NTD.

Curse you Etherium and .......*checks notes* PUBG!

:arghfist::shepspends:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

literally a hog
Jan 5, 2006

Oh poo poo Newegg weekend email deals out!

580s in stock!??! 24 hour only sale?!? Lets check that price.

"SALE" lmao

literally a hog
Jan 5, 2006

https://videocardz.com/newz/msi-radeon-rx-570-armor-mk2-pictured

MSI getting ready to beef up their Armor series for the rumored 570/580 refresh?

Wonder what these will go for?

literally a hog
Jan 5, 2006

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Ampere's x70/x80 pricing is likely going to be $529-579 and $649-729 and people will ~applaud~ nVidia for it.

The fact that 1050Tis are going for $280+ now when for a while they were remaining pretty static at ~$150-175 means desperation is in play now. I bet I could get $100 for the 560Tis I have, but instead I have to keep them in reserve as emergency GPUs because everyone who isn't mining has to be all :stare: about the thought of their GPU dying.

I was watching Amazon about 4 hours ago and managed to find various(asus/msi) 1060 6gb models for $309 at least( all promising to be in stock and Ship from like Jan 26-Feb 1) until r/Buildapcsales caught on and then they were gone in less than 5 minutes.
I wasn't quite ready to pull the trigger immediately but it might be worth it to set up some email alerts from Amazon as the prices arent completely nuts there, you just have to be fast. Newegg seems to be jacking up their prices much more in comparison because they can get away with it.

Kinda kicking myself for not snap decision grabbing a card during black friday. My Asus 6870 from 2011 was fine when I wasnt playing anything intensive, but just trying new stuff like Fortnite shows how outclassed it is. Still feels really bad having to drop ~$300 on 2-3 year old architecture cards that dont always come with a backplate.

I can't imagine the VR companies are too happy about the trend? The barrier to entry adding in overpriced videocards has got to be dissuading adoption for more and more people.

literally a hog fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Jan 24, 2018

literally a hog
Jan 5, 2006

1gnoirents posted:

Oh those are 580s. It will be interesting. They effectively cant mine anymore and unlike Nvidia there is no impending new gen to blame supply on. All sales should go to regular gaming... lets see what shows up in stock.

https://twitter.com/VideoCardz/status/979026894648733697

Gotta milk every last cent out of miners however possible.