Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot
So I just went through the OP and I did not find a guide on how to change out an old GPU for a new one. Might I ask one of you how I should go about correctly doing it? My old GPU is a EVGA GTX 560ti and my new one is a EVGA GTX 770 w/ ACX cooler. The rest of my relevant pc specs are as follows:

Windows 7 64bit
Intel Core i7-2600k Sandy Bridge 3.4GHz
ASUS P8Z68-V LX Motherboard
Cooler Master eXtreme Power Plus 700W Power Supply

Thanks in advance for the help.

VVV That's it?!?! Are you sure there isn't more I need to do? If so, cool and thanks.

Agrajag fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Jul 27, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot
Umm, I'm stupid but how do I uninstall drivers?

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

Animal posted:

Add/Remove Programs in Windows. Scroll down to Nvidia. If you have the latest drivers you dont have to do this.

Yikes, I was looking up reviews of the Beta Driver 326.19 and apparently it throttles the performance back, on GTX 770 cards. I'll stick with the disc drivers 319.08, as some people on AnandTech recommend. Also, thanks again for the help.

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot
Yay, just finished installing my EVGA GTX 770 and I am now running a tri-monitor setup. 2 DVI, 1 Display Port!

Any suggestions on what I should do with my old EVGA GTX 560ti?

Agrajag fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Jul 31, 2013

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot
So what's the verdict on the NVIDIA 326.41 Beta drivers for the GTX 770 cards? Should I go ahead and install it?

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

Agreed posted:

So far so good on my 780. I like their default turbo behavior and they seem to be homing in on the right point in terms of power management vs. stability, here's hoping that means the long-idle bug either goes away or they can fix it soon.

Runs games fast, but, 780, so that's not exactly newsworthy. I think anyone on the 700 series who has already taken the plunge to the 320 drivers should consider these, they seem to be killing off bugs without necessarily introducing new ones and that's a start! :v:

I would not have guessed that this would happen in a thousand years. Ahem.

:negative: AMD, come oooonnn. Get in the game. Let's do this, it's no fun anymore.

Awesome, now I just have to work up the effort to OC my gpu according to your guide.

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot
Wow, what is this bullcrap. My EVGA GTX 770 drivers 326.41 are failing practically every 2 days like clockwork (according to the pop-up), not bluescreen. Which then requires me to restart my computer since everything freezes. Did I just get a bad GPU or something? I really really hope my GPU isn't a lemon or something.

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

jink posted:

Get off the BETA. There are lots of issues with the latest two BETA releases regarding driver issues like you describe. One such post

320.49 WHQL 32bit: http://www.nvidia.com/object/win8-win7-winvista-32bit-320.49-whql-driver.html
320.49 WHQL 64bit: http://www.nvidia.com/object/win8-win7-winvista-64bit-320.49-whql-driver.html

Yeah, I did a clean reinstall to 320.49 drivers. Hopefully my drivers won't freeze everything up after 2 days, thanks.

Agrajag fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Aug 5, 2013

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

LmaoTheKid posted:

That could be it.

I'm going to take the top off the box and load a game to see what's causing this. Apparently this model (GV-N560OC-1GI) has some reports of fan failure so maybe that's what is going on.

It could also be dust accumulation on the fan and heatsinks in your 560ti. When I took my 560ti out to put in my 770 I saw a poo poo load of dust that was collected in between the fan blades and in between the heatsink fins. Like more than I expected.

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

Absorbs Smaller Goons posted:

Oh boy, here I am to recommend you a headset: Corsair Vengeance 1500.

Just got it, it's amazing.

Review

gently caress that noise get a set of Grado SR225i, do a minor mod to the cushions to make them more comfortable, get yourself a loving DAC and you are set.

What I did with the headphone cushions is buy one of those cheap Logitech office hands-free headsets, took off the circular cushion things, and glued them onto the Grado cushions so that the cups don't mash onto my ears.

Agrajag fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Aug 10, 2013

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

Kontradaz posted:

So when is the next generation cards coming out. I have a 560ti and wondering when to upgrade and to what.

Get the 760, it kicks the 560ti in the nuts and curb stomps it into submission.

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

havenwaters posted:

Oh hey Nvidia actually fixed the TDR issue. It'll be ready when the next WHQL drivers come out.

e: From guru3d which was from somewhere on the geforce developer forums.

gently caress yes! They finally fixed it!?!? GIVE ME THE drat DRIVER NOW GOD DAMNIT! I didn't pay for a 770 just to have it crash every other day! :argh:

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot
So, is there any confirmation that 326.80 beta driver from Nvidia fixes the crashing issue?

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

cmdrpinky posted:

For me it was 36 hours without rebooting. I've never been in a habit to shut down my desktop.

Yeah, I tend to just leave my computer on and in sleep mode at night/during the day. If I am going to be away for several days then I generally turn my computer off.

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot
I do not believe a computer can even come close to the power consumption of an AC unit. Unless you are running some kind of buttcoin mining operation or something.

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot
I assume the 600 series GPU's should be dropping in price right about now.

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot
Considering the 780 is already $700 dollars the price range on the 790 is going to be retardedly expensive. I also don't understand why they are releasing their 800 series cards in Q1 2014 when their 700 series only just came out this summer. Won't they be cannibalizing their own sales by having such short product life-cycles.

Agrajag fucked around with this message at 10:59 on Aug 29, 2013

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

deimos posted:

gently caress them, the 4GB models are not included in this? What the gently caress, first Amazon fucks me out of Blacklist and now this? :smithicide:

This is Nvidia's way of telling you to fuckoff. :frogout: They clearly want you to buy the upcoming GTX 790.

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

Aexo posted:

Current beta didn't help, unfortunatley.

~35 idle and no more than 75 under load.

35 idle is within the normal range I believe. I myself idle at 37, under load around 58-64.

Agrajag fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Sep 7, 2013

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot
3Gigs of vram? What the hell are you trying to tell me? That my 770 will already under-perform?!!?

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot
Yeah I'm running the latest Beta driver myself on an EVGA GTX 770. I can confirm that the latest Beta driver has gotten rid of the 36 hour TDR and I am not experiencing any BSOD's. You might want to see if something else might be loving up.

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

Agreed posted:

I'll pour 40min into Crysis 3 on my 650Ti tonight in your honor while waiting on the big card to get here. The bigger card. Biggest, for now, I guess. Gotta remember our brethren fellas.

Aren't the 800 series cards supposed to be rolling out relatively soon? Apparently the 800 series will actually have new tech/architecture, right?

VVV Haha, you bought a Xbone.

Agrajag fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Nov 20, 2013

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

thebushcommander posted:

Finally got my new 290X up and running in my PC. Had to get a new monitor and modify the case so the card would fit, but it's in and works. Card runs everything pretty drat awesome even on my first gen i7-890 @ 3.4ghz w/ 16GB ram. Which is still good I guess. I had to override fan controls with afterburner though because I don't think even the newest beta drivers are working correctly. Setup a fan speed curve from 20% @ idle to 57% under load (BF4 maxed out) keeps the card around 88c. It's fairly loud at 57%, but not leaf blower loud. 100% was insane though in testing.

The real point was after getting it all running I realized I don't really care much for PC gaming anymore or at least not enough where I need a 290X.

Is your case smaller than normal or is that card just extraordinarily big?

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot
So I'm planning on picking up an EVGA 1070 card tomorrow but I have no clue what the difference is with the SC/FTW stuff. Can someone help me out?

Like say the 1070 FTW (08G-P4-6274) has a lower base/boost clock but uses more power as opposed to the 1070 SC (08G-P4-6173) that has a higher baseéboost clock but uses less power. I don't understand this at all.

Agrajag fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Oct 30, 2016

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot
What does having better power delivery mean?

I was also looking at the Black Edition (08G-P4-5173-KR) myself because it seems to be the cheapest out of the whole group but is the performance difference huge compared to the better 1070's higher up on the chart?

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot
What about the backplates? Do they provide better support and prevent bending or something? Also, thanks for the info. I'm probably going to get the SC Black Edition 1070, since it is the cheapest, unless the backplate provides a tangible benefit.

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot
Just picked up the 1070 SC Black Edition and now I'm going to dig around to see if I have any old legos lying around in a box. Can't wait to see the difference in BF1 compared to my old 770 2GB version

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot
WOW, I lucked out on buying the EVGA 1070 SC Black Edition instead of the FTW, thanks other goon. Apparently the FTW versions of the 1070-80 cards have vrm overheating issues that can cause flames too shoot out! Apparently the SC versions without backplate aren't affected, whew. (Something to do with the SC still using reference PCB?)

http://wccftech.com/nvidia-gtx-1080-1070-evga-cards-dying/

http://forums.evga.com/badHOT-PCB-Layout-on-GTX-1070-FTW-m2565921.aspx

http://forums.evga.com/Is-the-EVGA-1070-SC-effected-by-the-VRM-overheating-issue-m2571376.aspx

quote:

Response I got from a ticket:

The hotspot issue is a misconception based on a review where the reviewer in question was running Furmark, an extreme usage case, as most overclockers know. We believe this is a good approach to have some idea about the graphics card limit, and the thermal performance under the worst case scenario. EVGA has performed a similar qualification test during the design process, at a higher ambient temperature (30C in chamber) with a thermal coupler probe directly contacting the key components and after the Toms Hardware (Germany) review, we have retested this again. The results in both tests show the temperature of PWM and memory is within the spec tolerance under the same stress test, and is working as originally designed with no issues.

As for your card, it is not affected, as the "issue" has only been found to affect the FTW models, which are a non-reference PCB. Your card, the SC, and other reference PCB models do not exhibit this "hotspot". However, if you wish to obtain the thermal pads for your card, you may do so, as long as your product is ACX 3.0 and has a backplate. To request these, please go to http://www.evga.com/thermalmod

EVGA page for you to get the thermal pads kit if you have the FTW 1070-80 or have a backplate on.

http://www.evga.com/thermalmod/

Agrajag fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Oct 31, 2016

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

woodenchicken posted:

Now check if your memory is Micron or Samsung.

how do i check?

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot
Should I prioritise power or temperature in EVGA Precision XOC?

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot
There is an update to the 1070/80 temperature issues.

http://forums.evga.com/EVGA-GeForce-GTX-10801070-PWM-Operating-Temperature-Update-m2573491.aspx

quote:

EVGA GeForce GTX 1080/1070 PWM Operating Temperature Update

11/1/2016 - Recently, it was reported from several sources, that the EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 FTW PWM and memory temperature is running warmer than expected during Furmark (an extreme stress utility).

EVGA has investigated these reports and after extensive testing, below are our findings:
On ACX 3.0, EVGA focused on GPU temperature and the lowest acoustic levels possible. Running Furmark, the GPU is around 70C +/- and the fan speed is running approximately 30% duty cycle or lower.
However, during recent testing, the thermal temperature of the PWM and memory, in extreme circumstances, was marginally within spec and needed to be addressed.
Conclusion: EVGA offers full warranty support on its products, with cross-ship RMA*, and stands behind its products and commitment to our customers.

To resolve this, EVGA will be offering a VBIOS update, which adjusts the fan-speed curve to ensure sufficient cooling of all components across all operating temperatures. This VBIOS will be released in the next few days and users can download it and update their cards directly. This update resolves the potential thermal issues that have been reported, and ensures the card maintains safe operating temperatures.

For those users who want additional cooling beyond the VBIOS update, EVGA has optional thermal pads available. This update is not required, however; EVGA will make it available free of charge to any customer who is interested. To request the thermal pad kit, please visit https://www.evga.com/thermalmod

Any customer who is not comfortable performing the recommended VBIOS update, may request a warranty cross-shipment* to exchange the product to EVGA for an updated replacement.
All graphics cards shipped from EVGA after 11/1/2016 will have the VBIOS update applied.

*The EVGA EAR(Advanced RMA Program) and Cross Shipping options are available in the Continental United States, Hawaii, Alaska, Canada, EU, UK, Norway, and Switzerland. EVGA offers Standard RMA replacement options in the Middle East, Africa, India or outside of the before mentioned supported areas.

FAQ

Q. Which cards are supported by these updates?
A. EVGA ACX 3.0 GeForce GTX 1080, 1070 or 1060 cards with the following part numbers:

*Founders Edition, Blower type, HYBRID, and HYDRO COPPER cards do not need these updates.

Q. If my Graphics Card is not an ACX 3.0 design is it affected?
A. No, all other GPUs sold by EVGA including Founders Edition, Blower type, HYBRID, and HYDRO COPPER editions are unaffected.

Q. Does the VBIOS fix the temperature issues?
A. Yes, the VBIOS update will fix the temperature issues.

Q. Is my card damaged from running at a higher temperature?
A. No, but should any future warranty service be needed, EVGA stands behind its products.

Q. What happens if my card is accidentally damaged during the optional thermal pad installation?
A. EVGA will stand behind its customers with full warranty and cross-shipment.*

Q. What if I am not comfortable updating my VBIOS?
A. While EVGA has very user friendly ways to update VBIOS’s, if you still do not feel comfortable, we will support you with and advanced RMA and ship you a replacement card with the latest VBIOS.

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

penus penus penus posted:

I mean the pads drop the thermals to downright good numbers id do that before having it be noisier imho.

Apparently you have to take the fans and heatsink off to apply the thermal pads. Which also requires you to reapply the thermal paste.

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

penus penus penus posted:

Yes but there was regular testing that put the VRMs in purported ~danger zone~ when combined with poor ventilation, though not any kind of unreasonable poor ventilation. Supposedly the famous exploded VRM pic is from simple gaming. Furmark certainly puts great stress on the card and most specifically power usage and as far as I've ever read is beyond a reasonable usage scenario. However, it boils down to if there was a simple interface to the heatsink of any kind the temperature drops dramatically (to the point where synthetics like furmark have no chance of overheating it). And there should have been, and there may be actual real world problems if they aren't present. Turning up the fans would likely prevent this as the bios claims to do... or having the heatsink touch the affected areas. All in all I personally believe free thermal pads is a simple and welcomed fix to it, but I certainly can't imagine everybody willing to do this.

Just as a little PSA, if you are able to successfully put a heatsink on your CPU, you will be able to successfully apply thermal pads where needed on your GPU. You will need thermal paste for your GPU to do it right. But, that's a good thing, re pasting has historically proven to be beneficial (or totally neutral).

I am sure somebody will put out or already has put out a guide specific to EVGA cards, but the general procedure is usually very simple. Typically its just four screws. Sometimes you have to remove the backplate, which is simply more screws. The only thing hanging onto the card at that point is a fan header cable, which functions exactly like the ones on your motherboard.

then you gently caress up and ruin a 600 dollar card, no thanks.

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

Paul MaudDib posted:

B-stock Titan X (maxwell) for $500.

http://www.evga.com/Products/Product.aspx?pn=12G-P4-2990-RX

Would be more tempting if the 1070 didn't already have 8 GB of VRAM.

what is the point of the Titan line with 1070/80 out, and performing at comparable or even better performance?

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot
EVGA's response to their own fuckup is certainly impressive. I'm still scared of massively loving up my GPU if I try to apply the thermal pad fix myself.

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot
What is furmark supposed to simulate, in laymen's terms?

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

The Iron Rose posted:

130watt tdp yeah. But I have a laptop with a 1070 and an i7-6820k overclockable CPU and would dearly like to downclock both to reduce temperature and power draw.

how big is this laptop? i didnt even know they can fit a 1070 into one.

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

I'd go with DDU, it's the best tool for getting rid of old drivers and cleaning up the crap they tend to leave behind.

Do you really have to use DDU in safe mode?

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot
lol i have my fans curve set to super aggressive 50% at 30C and it ramps up even more from there. what with all these wet noodle fan curves you guys are using?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

BurritoJustice posted:

You're making a load of extra noise for absolutely no reason. 30c is absurdly low, most cards don't even turn on the fans at all until 60-67c these days.

It's done for a real good reason, to get 26C.