Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

My first was Final Fantasy 1. I got it sometime after Nintendo Power started filling up the Epic Center section with nonstop coverage of FF3/6 but before my birthday rolled around and I could get a shiny new SNES game.

It was pretty neat when I started playing FF6 and the characters were on the same screen as the enemies, but I do remember being disappointed that they still didn't make contact with the enemies when they attacked. (I remember a screenshot in Nintendo Power had Cyan using one of his SwordTechs on the painting boss had led me to believe otherwise)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JesustheDarkLord
May 22, 2006

#VolsDeep
Lipstick Apathy
Under FFX, you have "This was Squares largest undertaking in the series. Due to the newly launched Playstation 2, Square was given the ability to do things they could not on the PS2" but it should be "could not on the PlayStation/PSX/Whatever designation."

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug
I just want to chime in and say that if you (like me) had a love-at-first-play relationship with IV, you really owe it to yourself to play the DS remake. I don't think I'd recommend it to people new to the game, but from a nostalgia standpoint it was perfect.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Assuming the character models and voice acting don't make you want to sic an old priest and a young priest on your DS, that is

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

Oxxidation posted:

Assuming the character models and voice acting don't make you want to sic an old priest and a young priest on your DS, that is

Too much N64 time makes one immune to that sort of thing, really. 4 is one my favorite Final Fantasies (along with 8 and 13/13-2, which is why I'm not allowed to voice my opinions on the series very much), and 4 DS was almost perfect because you still went through all the motions of the original, but they rebalanced the combat to actually be challenging. :allears:

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
It's DS 3D. You know what you're getting from the moment you step in.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!
Very nicely done OP. My first FF was IV, which I rented several times but never got very far due to having to start over every time. So my first "real" FF was VI, and while it holds a dear place in my heart, it's no longer my favorite.

Polite Tim posted:

The Final Fantasy game I enjoyed the most was probably XII, followed closely by IX and then VI.

XII had this massive open world that felt lived in, a sense of scale that hasn't been replicated since (in the main series anyway). There was a lot to do in it, the battle system was completely removed from previous games but worked really well if you just wanted to give basic orders to your team and get on with exploring.

IX had an unusual fantasy setting with a lot of cool and dorky characters, it didn't take itself too seriously and it had an excellent skills/equipment system. The overworld, the last of it's type in an FF game, had a buzz about it, and was interesting looking. Chocobo Hot and Cold is loving amazing too.

VI just simply had a cool story, cool battle system, interesting techno-fantasy world and a tonne of optional content.

I also liked X-2V a hell of a lot.

This man here objectively has the correct opinion, with a minor edit.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
The first FF game I played was FFVII I think, which granted I enjoyed a good deal at the time, but no way is it close to my favorite. FFV, FFXI, the two handheld Tactics titles, and the Chocobo Dungeon games are all much higher ranked for me now. 4 Heroes of Light feels like the strongest "game" though; the combat system is just so far beyond every other turn-based FF game, and the job system is fun.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
I wish FFCC had online. The game would be a top-tier FF it did.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Himuro posted:

loving seriously. I would have killed for that.

QuantaStarFire
May 18, 2006

Grimey Drawer
From the previous thread:

keiran_helcyan posted:

But then in Chapter 12 and 13 it's back to the same linear corridors, nonsensical plot, and soap opera character acting. I agree it improves a fair degree in Chapter 11, but looking back on it I probably would have been happier if I just stopped. At least in chapter 11 you get a free roaming world and some side quests to just screw around with the battle system for a while though.

Chapter 11 being open-ended and dropping the plot while the others are linear soap opera corridorfests makes me think that each chapter represents each game in the series somehow.

Also, when will SE try their hand at making an open-world sandbox Final Fantasy ala Elder Scrolls? I want to run around as a Moogle Black Mage with a 10-foot sword. :(

Rueish
Feb 27, 2009

Gone

but not forgotten.

Himuro posted:

Thanks for this, there's something I didn't even realize I had wanted and now I'm sad it'll probably never happen. :(

Seriously, that's a genius idea, why haven't they done this yet?

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
One of the first projects this generation they should have made Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles 2 for ps3 and 360, with online support, 4 player parties.

Instead, they put the Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles sequels on the wii and ds respectively.

The only reason I can think of is that the people at Square Enix are idiots.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

Countblanc posted:

4 Heroes of Light feels like the strongest "game" though; the combat system is just so far beyond every other turn-based FF game, and the job system is fun.

I would disagree, because as much as I love the battle/Crown system, the dungeons are so terrible it brings the whole thing down.

e: Also you can't really experiment with the Crown system until about halfway through the game.

Happy Blue Cow
Oct 23, 2008

I have moooore respect for
Mr. Carpainter then others. Even if I become someone's steak dinner, I'll still respect him.

I just thought about it... I think my very first Final Fantasy was... Mystic Quest. :staredog:

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

Happy Blue Cow posted:

I just thought about it... I think my very first Final Fantasy was... Mystic Quest. :staredog:

There's not a drat thing wrong with that. :colbert: I am proud to say I started with that game.

Troffen
Aug 17, 2010

Rueish posted:

Thanks for this, there's something I didn't even realize I had wanted and now I'm sad it'll probably never happen. :(

Seriously, that's a genius idea, why haven't they done this yet?

The game's a bit of a blur to me, but I'm pretty sure Echoes of Time had online co-op.

e: Of course, being a DS/Wii game, I'm sure the online was massively disappointing in some way. I remember barely touching it.

Troffen fucked around with this message at 03:41 on May 14, 2012

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Countblanc posted:

4 Heroes of Light feels like the strongest "game" though; the combat system is just so far beyond every other turn-based FF game, and the job system is fun.

There's a game from the same team for Japanese cellphones/iOS called Final Fantasy Legends: Warriors of Light and Darkness that's kinda similar, and a sequel-in-all-but-name coming for 3DS called "Bravely Default: Flying Fairy" (yeah wtf). Neither has been announced for international release, and it really bugs me.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

There's a game from the same team for Japanese cellphones/iOS called Final Fantasy Legends: Warriors of Light and Darkness that's kinda similar, and a sequel-in-all-but-name coming for 3DS called "Bravely Default: Flying Fairy" (yeah wtf). Neither has been announced for international release, and it really bugs me.

Bravely Default doesn't even have a Japanese release date yet, so I wouldn't worry too much about it not being announced for overseas. It does look absolutely wonderful though. Kind of like 4HoL, except with an actual budget:

I'm gonna be pretty disappointed when this doesn't have the AP system, but still look at those designs :allears:

Chomposaur
Feb 28, 2010

But Rocks Hurt Head posted:

I just want to chime in and say that if you (like me) had a love-at-first-play relationship with IV, you really owe it to yourself to play the DS remake. I don't think I'd recommend it to people new to the game, but from a nostalgia standpoint it was perfect.

I hated most of the aesthetics in that game, but the intro movie is like nostalgia crack for me. That's exactly how I envisioned all the characters. With my two favorite Final Fantasy songs accompanying it.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Himuro posted:

I'll go on record as saying that Crystal Chronicles (at least the first entry) was ahead of its time, moreso than any other game I can think of. Excellent concept and design but Nintendo failed to realize that not everyone who owned a Gamecube also owned a GBA, much less the cable to connect the two. I went through that entire game in single-player and played some co-op with the one person I knew who also had the GC-GBA cable, but hell if I was ever going to find two more people with that cable.

I don't know if the Wii Crystal Chronicles had a similar setup with each player using a DS for a controller but if not then shame on Nintendo. And when Nintendo announced the Wii U a revival of CC was one of the first things I thought of (though it invites the whole "how many tablets per console" debate that I don't want to bring here)

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

C-Euro posted:

I don't know if the Wii Crystal Chronicles had a similar setup with each player using a DS for a controller but if not then shame on Nintendo.

It did, but that's mainly because the Wii game is literally just the DS game on your TV, with dual screens and everything.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
FF7 was one of the first JRPGs I ever completed and I really enjoyed it a lot, but I think 9 was my favorite FF title. I think my favorite thing about it was all the ridiculous little minigames and sidequests.

Racing, submarine, snowboarding obviously, but also the little things like "impress them with your ability to hit face buttons on command" or "get the sexiest outfit so the pimplord will choose you over Tifa."

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Troffen posted:

The game's a bit of a blur to me, but I'm pretty sure Echoes of Time had online co-op.

e: Of course, being a DS/Wii game, I'm sure the online was massively disappointing in some way. I remember barely touching it.
The online was actually pretty great except for the whole Nintendo friend code/no voice chat thing. Echoes of Time is criminally underrated imo. Worthy follow up to FFCC and one of the best action-RPGs on the DS.

Too bad it was mostly overshadowed by the horrible laziness of the Wii port.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

C-Euro posted:

To start us off- I've heard it mention in a few places that oftentimes one's favorite Final Fantasy is the first one they ever played. How many of you are guilty of this? FF6 was the first one I played and it remains one of my favorite games of all time, so I've fallen into that trap.

My first was 8, and my favorite is 5. I didn't have a chance to play it until the GBA remake, by which time I'd gone through drat near the whole series.

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"

Artix74 posted:

There's not a drat thing wrong with that. :colbert: I am proud to say I started with that game.

I started with the first FF game, but I had Mystic Quest. I got stuck in the ice area as a kid, because I didn't realize you could jump on something or move something, or whatever. I tried for like a month, and started over a few times but never got past that part. So I did the next logical thing - I wrote a letter to Squaresoft telling them I was stuck!

I got a letter back a couple of weeks later from someone there, thanking me and telling me how to beat the part I was stuck at. Sure, probably just some intern, but I was young enough at the time to be loving stoked. I still actually have that letter in a drawer somewhere. The night I got that letter, I beat the ice boss and finally moved on. That was also the first time in my life I had a hoagie, so sub sandwiches and Final Fantasy Mystic Quest are forever intertwined in my mind.

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?

QuantaStarFire posted:

Also, when will SE try their hand at making an open-world sandbox Final Fantasy ala Elder Scrolls? I want to run around as a Moogle Black Mage with a 10-foot sword. :(

I've been thinking about something like that. We haven't had an Ivalice Alliance game in a while, so just drop it there and watch the people throw their money at Square.

Polite Tim
Sep 3, 2007
'insert witty Family Guy/ Futurama/ Simpsons/ Little fucking Britian etc quote here'

Schwartzcough posted:

This man here objectively has the correct opinion, with a minor edit.

I liked V as well but X-2 had a nice amount of freedom from the start and a huge amount of optional content. Some flaws, mainly how easy it was to miss items and scenes. It had a lot of great designs, but ultimately most people were turned off by the initially horrible story and grating 'girlishness' of the game.

V was a solid, well paced game that was well balanced in difficulty, but it didn't capture me the way X-2

QuantaStarFire
May 18, 2006

Grimey Drawer

The GIG posted:

I've been thinking about something like that. We haven't had an Ivalice Alliance game in a while, so just drop it there and watch the people throw their money at Square.

I was thinking either Ivalice or something in Vana'diel. I like the idea of them taking one of the Vana'diel countries and making something that's more to scale, with villages and hamlets and lots of places to explore and really flesh out the world and the local politics and whatnot. :3:

On the other hand, it'd probably be consoles only. No PC modding community. :(

Yeah Bro
Feb 4, 2012

First that I owned and played to completion was Final Fantasy X-2, and while that game had its faults, I did enjoy the combat and gameplay enough to finish it the 6 or so required times to get the best ending. I've since played every main series game except IX and can say that my favourite has to be XII. The world felt alive, the story was slightly up its own arse but less so than the other recent FF games and they totally nailed gameplay. I felt like I could do anything in that game, which is why XIII was such a let down.

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END
I never played the earlier Final Fantasies, but I understand one of them - and I'm not sure which - has an unbelievably great ending. Is it 6? I remember reading either a really long post or an offsite link that explained the whole ending and why it was so great, but I have since forgotten the specifics.

Strenuous Manflurry fucked around with this message at 15:49 on May 14, 2012

big duck equals goose
Nov 7, 2006

by XyloJW
They should make a new Ehrgeiz game.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
They kinda did, it was on the PSP and it was called Dissidia. Not quite the same thing but you get to play as Sephiroth which I think is why people played Ehrgeiz to begin with

Ensis
Nov 13, 2003
On the banks of the Red Cedar...

Happy Blue Cow posted:

drat Mystic Quest. I never found the Cure spell in the first town on my main character and the game went from Final Fantasy: Easy Mode to Final Fantasy: SPAM CONSUMABLES GO GO GO really quickly. Plus I never figured out why everyone said you could 3-shot the final boss, that thing took a while if you do it the traditional way. :sigh:

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

They kinda did, it was on the PSP and it was called Dissidia. Not quite the same thing but you get to play as Sephiroth which I think is why people played Ehrgeiz to begin with

I played it for that sweet (terrible) rogue-a-like mode.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Sakurazuka posted:

I played it for that sweet (terrible) rogue-a-like mode.

The Roguelike mode had the most hilarious twist though.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Funny this thread should pop up now because I recently decided to play through the NES Final Fantasy. To my surprise it didn't age nearly as badly as I thought it did. I beat the PSX version already but even "Classic Mode" wasn't much of a challenge. If you have patience, I recommend you all give it a go! I'm near the final dungeon now without too much frustration, though I do strongly recommend using the Final Fantasy Wiki as a reference because a number of weapons and spells are bugged and do not function at all, so it would be good to not invest in them.

After that I'm going to attempt the Famicom Final Fantasy II. I couldn't even get through any of the remakes of that one :suicide:

Mak0rz fucked around with this message at 17:30 on May 14, 2012

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Strenuous Manflurry posted:

I never played the earlier Final Fantasies, but I understand one of them - and I'm not sure which - has an unbelievably great ending. Is it 6? I remember reading either a really long post or an offsite link that explained the whole ending and why it was so great, but I have since forgotten the specifics.

Nah, man, you must be thinking of some other game series.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

TurnipFritter posted:

Bravely Default doesn't even have a Japanese release date yet, so I wouldn't worry too much about it not being announced for overseas. It does look absolutely wonderful though. Kind of like 4HoL, except with an actual budget:

I'm gonna be pretty disappointed when this doesn't have the AP system, but still look at those designs :allears:

That has to be the most scantily dressed white mage ever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

SpazmasterX posted:

That has to be the most scantily dressed white mage ever.

I think Rosa's got that beat with no pants.