Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Ventana posted:

Lighter tone makes sense. But to go right to J-Pop concerts in 2 years is a but much though.

something something replacing a somber performance like the sending with a more optimistic hopeful performance like j-pop

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CeallaSo
May 3, 2013

Wisdom from a Fool

Allarion posted:

Didn't FFX end with Tidus ambiguously swimming back towards life anyways, that X-2 had as an ending too if you got 100% completion?

X has the ambiguous ending, yeah, but the 100% X-2 ending has Tidus just show up on Besaid and reunite with Yuna, with her exclaiming that she has so much to tell him about everything that happened in the years since he stopped existing.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3

Brother Entropy posted:

something something replacing a somber performance like the sending with a more optimistic hopeful performance like j-pop

You know what the real purpose was. We all know. Don't even try to justify it.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Gologle posted:

yeah, cuz it was cool as hell, i agree

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Gologle posted:

Yeah to set the tone that so you realized this was gonna be a vastly different kind of adventure from the last game.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Against my better judgement Amazon was moving XIIZAs at a price point I couldn't pass up so I'm playing Desert Cookie Clicker 2006.

To my surprise I find Vaan way less annoying than I did when the game originally came out, and I've given it some thought and I think it's because I now live in what is a Post-Hope Estheim world. All FF Characters just get an automatic 5 points added to a 10 point scale by virtue of 'not being Hope' which brings Vaan up to a high 8/10. Vaan even has a pretty similar role/hangups to Hope at the start, but manages to grow in the span of ~1 sewer level unlike Hope who spends 150 hours being a bitch and then becomes Space Noah or something I couldn't even tell you what his deal is to be honest.

In conclusion, I think my opinion of the game is higher because they've managed to lower the bar since I first played it. So far at least.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Ummm they explain Hope very simply. Hope brings Hope because his name is Hope and that's just what happens when your name is Hope. Unlike Lightning who only brings destruction.

But sometimes god corrupts hope and at that point you need to destroy good by striking him with lightning so you can move to France.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*
Hope got over his issues not even halfway through FF13, like less than 15 hours, and he's not even present for over half of that gameplay time.

If you don't care about a really simple revenge arc, then w/e, but I don't get why goons have to hyper inflate things to ridiculous extremes in their hyperbole. "150 hours of being a bitch"? Seriously dude?

More to the point, imo Vaan isn't really a bad character in retrospect. I think it's just annoyance of his presence because it feels vestigal when compared to the other characters. I'm still not exactly a fan of 12's cast, but Vaan doesn't deserve hate.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Buglord
Sorry I looked up on the wikipedia it's actually one thousand and fourteen years of being crap.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
Van is better than Penlo

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Penelo should've been a moogle ridden by a Scottish cat holding a megaphone.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Mega64 posted:

Penelo should've been a moogle ridden by a Scottish cat holding a megaphone.

This would have been more lore friendly.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Buglord
Is Reeve Scottish? Or just doing a Scottish voice? I'm unclear on this.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
I also just bought ffxiiza and it will be arriving tomorrow

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

zedprime posted:

Ummm they explain Hope very simply. Hope brings Hope because his name is Hope and that's just what happens when your name is Hope. Unlike Lightning who only brings destruction.
It even rained the day she was born.

(I hope that the Venn diagram of FF fans and MGS fans is large enough that I can get away with this joke.)

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time
The Hope hate is vastly overblown because performative hatred is just what awkward types on the internet do

Vaan's role in the story is extant and he does serve a purpose, just...his voice acting is obnoxious in English and in Japanese so you can't escape from him

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Saint Freak posted:

Is Reeve Scottish? Or just doing a Scottish voice? I'm unclear on this.

Reeve is supposed to have an accent, because he comes from an out of the way hick town. Considering Cait Sith's origins scottish is as good a way to translate his accent as anything.

purkey
Dec 5, 2003

I hate the 90s

I don't think that Scottish conveys a hick accent very well :/

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

purkey posted:

Depends on where you're from

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

purkey posted:

tbh all the ~wacky scottish tweets~ that went viral a few months ago makes it seem like an appropriate enough translation.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
So I somehow shocked myself playing FFXV. I surprisingly liked it when I went in expecting it to be bad. It had its issues, but it felt like I could see a semblance of the old Final Fantasy spirit and charm in between the flaws.

Sorry for being annoying in the past in this thread. What did the rest of you think of XV in the end? I still haven't beaten it because single player games make my attention drift these days and XV was no different, but I really plan on sitting down some day soon and beating it.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

FF15 was by no means flawless but I ended up enjoying it a hell of a lot more than I did 12, 13, or 13-2.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
I liked how FFX2 had this theme about setting aside past feelings in order to move on with life and then they had Tidus come back from literal non-existence for the 100%/canon ending

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Himuro posted:

So I somehow shocked myself playing FFXV. I surprisingly liked it when I went in expecting it to be bad. It had its issues, but it felt like I could see a semblance of the old Final Fantasy spirit and charm in between the flaws.

Sorry for being annoying in the past in this thread. What did the rest of you think of XV in the end? I still haven't beaten it because single player games make my attention drift these days and XV was no different, but I really plan on sitting down some day soon and beating it.

After the halfway point it falls down into an abyss from which no fun can escape

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo

Calaveron posted:

I liked how FFX2 had this theme about setting aside past feelings in order to move on with life and then they had Tidus come back from literal non-existence for the 100%/canon ending

IMO the "bad ending" is X-2 canon ending with all the parties coming together to love each other and I can't see it any other way. I put FFX-2 Tidus resurrection ending in the same file in my brain as the dog ending in Silent Hill.

Jupiter Jazz fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Oct 24, 2017

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Calaveron posted:

To be fair they've since retconned that is not in fact Tidus but just a new summon who happens to resemble Tidus so hey.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Himuro posted:

FF15 was good. Definitely more than the sum of its parts.

Morby
Sep 6, 2007

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

FF15 was good. Definitely more than the sum of its parts.

Yeah, I really enjoyed it

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

This isn't going to matter to most people but I will say though that the time trials in the Prompto DLC is like the worst racing minigame I've played since like Canary Mary in Banjo-Tooie. Those first place times they expect you to get with those janky rear end controls were loving ridiculous.

Raxivace fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Oct 24, 2017

Morby
Sep 6, 2007
I keep meaning to get back around to playing the FFXV DLC, but I get distracted by other games and I just never do. Maybe on vacation in a couple weeks.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Morby posted:

I keep meaning to get back around to playing the FFXV DLC, but I get distracted by other games and I just never do. Maybe on vacation in a couple weeks.

All told they're like three hours long

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Theres precisely one part of XV with an instafail stealth sequence that I don't like but it's like 5 minutes long and I pretty much loved the rest of it, even if it was really easy. But all FF games are pretty easy so I don't mind

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
The stealth part of XV was bullshit, but I guess they fixed that in a patch? Either way I enjoyed the game a lot, for all of its flaws.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
I was browsing youtube, cruising the fast lane highway that is the Internet, when I saw something that caught my eye. It made me laugh, so I figured I would share it. Apparently back when the game first came out and the first copies were shoved into the SNES, FF2's title screen would play this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5kxt8BmfpDM

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

Gologle posted:

I was browsing youtube, cruising the fast lane highway that is the Internet, when I saw something that caught my eye. It made me laugh, so I figured I would share it. Apparently back when the game first came out and the first copies were shoved into the SNES, FF2's title screen would play this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5kxt8BmfpDM

Why is this funny

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Himuro posted:

IMO the "bad ending" is X-2 canon ending with all the parties coming together to love each other and I can't see it any other way. I put FFX-2 Tidus resurrection ending in the same file in my brain as the dog ending in Silent Hill.

the dog ending is canon

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
I just treat X-2's good ending as the Woodsman's Axe deal. You get the prize once you show that you have the moral fortitude to move past it.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Gologle posted:

idgi

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Gologle posted:

sure would

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
I'm guessing it's the ending theme?