Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«2347 »
Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

no user serviceable parts inside

Nap Ghost

Play times like those are the reason I stay the gently caress away from MMOs, god drat. That's some serious skinner box poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

I wish I could keep up my interest in FFXIV but every time I hit the early 30s I find the story drags and I haven't gotten the cool stuff from my advanced class so it feels like such a slog.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Ninja is still the most fun I had in a final fantasy game

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]

Sapozhnik posted:

Play times like those are the reason I stay the gently caress away from MMOs, god drat. That's some serious skinner box poo poo.

I mean it's also playing and poo poo posting with people in guild probably.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Fully functional and programmed in multiple techniques.

Considering that I've spent well over 10 years of my entire life completely unconscious, a few hundred days having fun with something I enjoy seems trivial.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Humanity is ~beautiful~

Also these playtimes are likely over several years and a raw number doesn't account for time spent afk or doing other non-game things.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Pretty much. I mean, that's the crux of it, yeah? As long as you're having fun (and not ruining your life or trying to raid while your wife is giving birth) who gives a poo poo.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Himuro posted:

I mean, I know why. Nostalgia sells. But it feels like anytime I see anything from that game itís,Ēhey, remember when FF did this?!Ē Saw some Golden Saucer thing, some Cyan castle with Cyanís theme, a boss fight with Kefka and the Statue of Gods while Dancing Mad plays, its got Magitek armor, and now this. Just feels like nostalgia is all it has to offer speaking as an outsider who hasnít put much time into the game yet and Iím just curious if it has anything to offer on its own merits, which isnít a dumb thing to ask at all.

FFXIV original setting and plot stuff is unironically one of, if not the best in the franchise and even though it is an MMO it manages to have actually interesting character writing and arcs for it's main cast (and a lot of good side story writing for everything else) which puts it heads and shoulders about most FF games.

Himuro
Jan 13, 2007

When you absolutely, positively got to kill every motherfucker in the room, accept no substitutes.

Cleretic posted:

It's a very referential game, but for the most part it's not ONLY being referential, it's using these known elements to thread new concepts and stories. Like, it's got Ultima Weapon in the storyline for A Realm Reborn, but despite looking like the one from FFVII he's an entirely different figure, filling a different role.

If you want XIV to have its own voice, it absolutely does, but Stormblood is actually a really bad point to be saying that in, because for some reason Stormblood is just SUPER referential. The two endgame raid chains are explicitly so (there's the Omega chain that's the bosses from V and VI you've already heard about, but there's also a more story-focused one that's directly got characters from FFXII and is about you digging up the truth behind the War of the Lions), but you've got Doma, you've got Shinryu and Omega, you've got an area that seems to be a combination of FFX's Calm Lands and XIII's Archylte Steppe, there is a dungeon that's basically just the Magitek Research Facility from VI, the Atma Weapon from VI makes an appearance at some point.

Stormblood still has its own voice, but for whatever reason it's also when they started getting way more flagrant about their references.

Wow that sounds kind of lame in a way. Have fans complained about this? Sounds obnoxious.

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.

Himuro posted:

That’s cool. I like what I’ve played but haven’t been able to invest much into it.

It worked for me early because it really is my first mmo, so all the easy early stuff was appreciated.

Now it's a pain in my rear end.

Himuro
Jan 13, 2007

When you absolutely, positively got to kill every motherfucker in the room, accept no substitutes.

BrightWing posted:

It worked for me early because it really is my first mmo, so all the easy early stuff was appreciated.

Now it's a pain in my rear end.

How so? Doesnít bode well for me because one of the reasons I want to play it is because people say you can play it casually or whatever and not make it your life like other mmoís and Iím going to be applying to grad school this year and was thinking of playing a casual long term game that doesnít require commitment like a fighting game would and now youíre telling me this!

ItBreathes
Jan 6, 2013

Himuro posted:

...casual long term game that doesnít require commitment...

Have you considered... not an MMO?

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

No you can still play it pretty casually. Early stuff only becomes painful when youíre rolling an alt and are grinding for levels, so now the old content is less fresh, and theyíre less impressive compared to stuff later on. The game also never puts you in a position where you have to schedule your life around it since the story stuff will always be open to casually rolling with randoms. Itís only if you really must have the top end gear where you start to have to schedule, but top end game gear is only ever useful for content thatís basically challenge versions of the gameís regular content

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

Beating Titan Extreme with randoms was one of the best MMO experiences Ive had.

Then got utterly stuck on Ramuh and gave up because I dont have time to socialize.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

I played FFXIV until I reached the Gold Saucer and haven't touched it since. It's just yet another MMO in every way that counts.

«2347 »