Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Final Fantasy VI protip: you don't need to hit the diagonal for any of Sabin's blitz attacks, just hit either of the nearest cardinal directions instead and it works fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Kingtheninja posted:

6 is amazing. It's been so long since I've played it, and I only ever got about as far as visiting the empire (where I just reached). I'm having a blast going through this one, and I think it's a great ending to the snes Era of final fantasy.

After/if you beat FF6, and you're hankering for more, try the Brave New World romhack of 6. It fixes all the bugs and revamps the game in pretty much the perfect way -- it's not exactly a difficulty hack but it does render all the mechanics much more in-depth and makes a lot of bosses much more interesting.

I'd played and beat FF6 several times and went through BNW recently and absolutely loved the experience. It's the definitive version IMHO.

edit: I guess this post is more for the FF veterans than the guy who's going through FF6 fresh. I can't say enough good things about that mod.

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
ffxiv fuckin rules and its the best ff but especially this patch

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Yeah, I'd say this patch is the best 4.x one yet (thought there's no real competition) and possibly the best of the 3.x series as well. MSQ was pretty good and had a couple of unforeseen twists (TWO ZENOSES???), the story trial was drat well amazing, the new dungeon is really fun, and the new 24-man raid is hilariously tough yet good. Hope you like mid-battle maths.

Also the funniest line in the entire game:
One man's ruse is another man's keikaku!

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

YggiDee posted:

Final Fantasy VI protip: you don't need to hit the diagonal for any of Sabin's blitz attacks, just hit either of the nearest cardinal directions instead and it works fine.

That's not surprising, since the SNES didn't even have diagonal directional input (fighting games were designed for arcade cabinets that had sticks, so their ports still give a poo poo about diagonals). I feel like doing the full motion with diagonal inputs is pretty important to execute the Blitzes quickly and reliably anyway, trying to be clever will just gently caress up the execution of things like 'trace a circle'.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

I mean, arcade cabinets don't have dedicated diagonal inputs either? It's just four microswitches, and having two pressed at the same time is counted as a diagonal. That's a weird thing to single out for the SNES.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
It's just that the SNES d-pad is utter balls when it comes to things like fighting game inputs. It's okay to admit it. Probably its only real failing. Doesn't help that the rate FFVI accepts viable diagonal inputs works only half the time. Playing HF on the SNES Classic has given me calluses because of its awful d-pad. Using the extra input for Sabin's blitzes has been a lifesaver.

Jupiter Jazz fucked around with this message at 00:28 on May 24, 2018

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

Friends are what make testing worth it.
Playing Final Fantasy X, who was the fucker who decided to have Dark Valefor block the way to the Jecht Sphere?

I know could have gone back earlier, but that would have been soooo loving boring.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Cleretic posted:

That's not surprising, since the SNES didn't even have diagonal directional input (fighting games were designed for arcade cabinets that had sticks, so their ports still give a poo poo about diagonals). I feel like doing the full motion with diagonal inputs is pretty important to execute the Blitzes quickly and reliably anyway, trying to be clever will just gently caress up the execution of things like 'trace a circle'.

It isn't about being clever. You just double tap a direction instead. It's like entering the konami code.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Frionnel posted:

Playing Final Fantasy X, who was the fucker who decided to have Dark Valefor block the way to the Jecht Sphere?

I know could have gone back earlier, but that would have been soooo loving boring.

I'd say just Zanbato it. If you want the challenge there are lots more Dark Aeons to beat up.

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

Oh, that works? Ok, he's going down.

I'm not going to beat the Dark Aeons anyway, just want to get Auron's overdrives, Magus Sisters, and then i'll go beat Sin.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

A bunch of cool stuff is blocked by Dark Aeons, getting the hidden item in Macalania if you forgot it first time is blocked by Dark Shiva so no Anima, or the Dark Magus Sisters blocking a bunch of Mushroom Rock. If you want to Zanbato them fight mimics in the Omega Caverns with a gillionaire piece of equipment and you get like 250K from each one an just pay Yojimbo 2M flatout and reload if he doesn't Zan.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

It's been long time since I played it but I was always incredibly cheap with Yojimbo and I think you can get zanmato pretty consistently for like 6,000 gil I thought if you max out his overdrive first

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

There's a lot of factors

http://finalfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Zanmato_(ability)

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

EmmyOk posted:

the Dark Magus Sisters blocking a bunch of Mushroom Rock

If you walk down from the Djose Highroad then you don't trigger the scene that railroads you into the chase segment and so you can get the Masamune easily. :ssh:

Valefor, Shiva and Bahamut are the only Dark Aeons that actively prevent you getting something you may have missed.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Dark Bahamut has to be the absolute worst of them, since if you gently caress up on a single innocuous screen you’re thrust into a cutscene and can’t go back. And then you have to choose to reset and do the entire yunalesca fight over again (unskippable cutscenes included :shepface:) or deal with the fact that you’re not getting the main character’s ultimate weapon until several dozen hours later.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
the dark aeons are some of the dumbest poo poo in a series that has a lot of dumb poo poo in it

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

EmmyOk posted:

A bunch of cool stuff is blocked by Dark Aeons, getting the hidden item in Macalania if you forgot it first time is blocked by Dark Shiva so no Anima, or the Dark Magus Sisters blocking a bunch of Mushroom Rock. If you want to Zanbato them fight mimics in the Omega Caverns with a gillionaire piece of equipment and you get like 250K from each one an just pay Yojimbo 2M flatout and reload if he doesn't Zan.

I got off easy, only had to pay him 50k and it worked the first time, a good price for not having to bother with this bullshit.

I did remember to get all the destruction spheres and the Sun Crest though. But now my completionist brain just convinced itself to collect the celestial weapons, so Chocobo Racing here we goooo :smithicide:

Frionnel fucked around with this message at 18:45 on May 24, 2018

VegasGoat
Nov 9, 2011

Frionnel posted:

I got off easy, only had to pay him 50k and it worked the first time, a good price for not having to bother with this bullshit.

I did remember to get all the destruction spheres and the Sun Crest though. But now my completionist brain just convinced itself to collect the celestial weapons, so Chocobo Racing here we goooo :smithicide:

I 100% trophied the X / X-2 remaster. The chocobo race with the seagulls flying at you, and the other chocobo race in the temple were the absolute worst. I'm never doing them again. Actually I'll probably never play FFX or X-2 again. Luckily the lightning dodging had a trick to make it easy. Search youtube for it. You just run back and forth in a certain spot and the lightning always triggers when step on that spot.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

VegasShirtGuy posted:

I 100% trophied the X / X-2 remaster. The chocobo race with the seagulls flying at you, and the other chocobo race in the temple were the absolute worst. I'm never doing them again. Actually I'll probably never play FFX or X-2 again. Luckily the lightning dodging had a trick to make it easy. Search youtube for it. You just run back and forth in a certain spot and the lightning always triggers when step on that spot.
I'm quoting this post in case I ever need to remember this information in the future.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Frionnel posted:

Good luck.

There are all kinds of tips and routes to take that make chocobo racing slightly more manageable but the fact of the matter is if you get unlucky with balloon formations it’ll be actually impossible to win and pointless to even try.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

Frionnel posted:

Chocobo Racing here we goooo :smithicide:

Time to link this video I made a couple years ago

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eAoF-GgJZHo

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
The trick to FFX’s post game is to cheat to avoid all the tedious stuff.

e: \/ Also a valid solution

Mega64 fucked around with this message at 20:53 on May 24, 2018

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

I cheated by just not doing them since it's all garbage.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Chocobo balloon time trial is awesome. Chocobo maze under the temple is actually the worst. Even if you can muddle through first or second try it's somehow still worse than fishing for decent balloon layouts.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

zedprime posted:

Chocobo balloon time trial is awesome. Chocobo maze under the temple is actually the worst. Even if you can muddle through first or second try it's somehow still worse than fishing for decent balloon layouts.

hmm. no

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

zedprime posted:

Wrong.

Mega64 posted:

The trick to FFX’s post game is to cheat to avoid all the tedious stuff.

Correct.

I do try to engage all of these minigames to see what's up though, and i ended up doing most of them fairly (as has been said, dodging lightning is super easy once you know the correct spot). But i straight up edited my save for Wakka's sigil. I'll gladly do Chocobo Racing a hundred times before i touch the complete tedium that is Blitzball again. I did it as a kid, i don't deserve more.

Only Chocobo Racing left to do now.

Tall Tale Teller
May 20, 2003
Grave? Shovel! Let's go.

The real trick is to not play X at all.

I mean, unless you want to fight the same four pallet swapped enemies the entire game, in which case BE MY GUEST.

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

I mean, i agree that X gets lazy sometimes with the enemies, but at least most enemy types are tied to the character abilities and encourage you to use everyone.

I don't think it's that worse than other Final Fantasies where enemies look different but die the same way.

VegasGoat
Nov 9, 2011

Frionnel posted:

But i straight up edited my save for Wakka's sigil. I'll gladly do Chocobo Racing a hundred times before i touch the complete tedium that is Blitzball again. I did it as a kid, I don't deserve more.

This can be sort of cheated on as well by abusing reset data and the fact that if you keep entering and exiting the blitzball menu from a save point it will change the tournaments and prizes. You only have to play through I think one season and 2 tournaments to get everything.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I'm still impressed FF9 has no palette swaps besides the last several rooms of the final dungeon.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I'm not taking advice from someone that sees nothing wrong with the mobile ports

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

VegasShirtGuy posted:

You only have to play through I think one season and 2 tournaments to get everything.

That's like, 16 games of Blitzball isn't it? 16 too many.

Frionnel fucked around with this message at 23:28 on May 24, 2018

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Tae posted:

I'm not taking advice from someone that sees nothing wrong with the mobile ports

As someone whose morning routine includes applying mace to my eyes for fifteen minutes, the mobile ports look fine to me!

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
Every FF, and almost every RPG ever, has palette-swapped enemies.

I really don't understand that criticism.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Elephant Ambush posted:

You could argue that it's laziness, but it saves on space (especially important for the older games) and time, allowing devs to add more enemies without devoting more resources to making more sprites.

There's not much of a point in having them now unless you're a smaller company, but at the same time it's such a minor thing that it doesn't really matter that much either way.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Elephant Ambush posted:

it's because ff 10's palette swaps are "dog" "ugly dog" "ugly dog that's shaped like a lizard" "ugly dog that's shaped like a lizard of a different color" and its attacks are identical and the way to defeat it is use fight once with tidus

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

Meanwhile other Final Fantasies have "Goblin", "Bird", "Dog", "Dinosaur", "Demon" and the way to defeat them is use attack once with any frontliner.

I do agree that it's visually lazy, but disagree that it is mechanically worse than what the others offer.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

VegasShirtGuy posted:

This can be sort of cheated on as well by abusing reset data and the fact that if you keep entering and exiting the blitzball menu from a save point it will change the tournaments and prizes. You only have to play through I think one season and 2 tournaments to get everything.

2 of each; Tournament, League, Tournament, League. 26 game minimum.

Including between game stuff and needing to reset and re-sign everyone every time, it's like 5 hours of just that alone. It's really, really tedious especially since you spend most of it just waiting for the timer to run out in every single game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time
FFXIV players: Ok so if I meld direct hit materia instead of spell speed, that'll result in a 0.78% increase in dps over the course of the fight, assuming of course that I use optimal food and potions and work out an absolutely optimal rotation that accounts for the group's damage buffs and times the boss goes invulnerable...

Construct 7: what's 8+3

FFXIV players: :confused: :confused: :confused: