Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«2348 »
YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

Final Fantasy VI protip: you don't need to hit the diagonal for any of Sabin's blitz attacks, just hit either of the nearest cardinal directions instead and it works fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Kingtheninja posted:

6 is amazing. It's been so long since I've played it, and I only ever got about as far as visiting the empire (where I just reached). I'm having a blast going through this one, and I think it's a great ending to the snes Era of final fantasy.

After/if you beat FF6, and you're hankering for more, try the Brave New World romhack of 6. It fixes all the bugs and revamps the game in pretty much the perfect way -- it's not exactly a difficulty hack but it does render all the mechanics much more in-depth and makes a lot of bosses much more interesting.

I'd played and beat FF6 several times and went through BNW recently and absolutely loved the experience. It's the definitive version IMHO.

edit: I guess this post is more for the FF veterans than the guy who's going through FF6 fresh. I can't say enough good things about that mod.

Farg
Nov 19, 2013

[Intelligent][Humorous][Tasteful]

ffxiv fuckin rules and its the best ff but especially this patch

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

I'm not real.

Yeah, I'd say this patch is the best 4.x one yet (thought there's no real competition) and possibly the best of the 3.x series as well. MSQ was pretty good and had a couple of unforeseen twists (TWO ZENOSES???), the story trial was drat well amazing, the new dungeon is really fun, and the new 24-man raid is hilariously tough yet good. Hope you like mid-battle maths.

Also the funniest line in the entire game:
One man's ruse is another man's keikaku!

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Fans always know better than the creators.

YggiDee posted:

Final Fantasy VI protip: you don't need to hit the diagonal for any of Sabin's blitz attacks, just hit either of the nearest cardinal directions instead and it works fine.

That's not surprising, since the SNES didn't even have diagonal directional input (fighting games were designed for arcade cabinets that had sticks, so their ports still give a poo poo about diagonals). I feel like doing the full motion with diagonal inputs is pretty important to execute the Blitzes quickly and reliably anyway, trying to be clever will just gently caress up the execution of things like 'trace a circle'.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

I mean, arcade cabinets don't have dedicated diagonal inputs either? It's just four microswitches, and having two pressed at the same time is counted as a diagonal. That's a weird thing to single out for the SNES.

Himuro
Jan 13, 2007

When you absolutely, positively got to kill every motherfucker in the room, accept no substitutes.

It's just that the SNES d-pad is utter balls when it comes to things like fighting game inputs. It's okay to admit it. Probably its only real failing. Doesn't help that the rate FFVI accepts viable diagonal inputs works only half the time. Playing HF on the SNES Classic has given me calluses because of its awful d-pad. Using the extra input for Sabin's blitzes has been a lifesaver.

Himuro fucked around with this message at May 23, 2018 around 23:28

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

Friends are what make testing worth it.

Playing Final Fantasy X, who was the fucker who decided to have Dark Valefor block the way to the Jecht Sphere?

I know could have gone back earlier, but that would have been soooo loving boring.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Thank you... and thank you!

Cleretic posted:

That's not surprising, since the SNES didn't even have diagonal directional input (fighting games were designed for arcade cabinets that had sticks, so their ports still give a poo poo about diagonals). I feel like doing the full motion with diagonal inputs is pretty important to execute the Blitzes quickly and reliably anyway, trying to be clever will just gently caress up the execution of things like 'trace a circle'.

It isn't about being clever. You just double tap a direction instead. It's like entering the konami code.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

He will know I am near when he hears the screams of my enemies.

Frionnel posted:

Playing Final Fantasy X, who was the fucker who decided to have Dark Valefor block the way to the Jecht Sphere?

I know could have gone back earlier, but that would have been soooo loving boring.

I'd say just Zanbato it. If you want the challenge there are lots more Dark Aeons to beat up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

Friends are what make testing worth it.

Oh, that works? Ok, he's going down.

I'm not going to beat the Dark Aeons anyway, just want to get Auron's overdrives, Magus Sisters, and then i'll go beat Sin.

«2348 »