Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DeathBySpoon
Dec 17, 2007

I got myself a paper clip!

NikkolasKing posted:

Mazed at the very least will know what I'm talking about but who would have ever thought Allen would be the perfect voice for Kefka.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GUNLwlenkh0&t=74s

Teddie Kefka is the best Dissidia character.

I actually agree about FF9's music not being as memorable, though- I'm playing through it RIGHT NOW, at about 30 hours in on Disc 3, and I couldn't remember the boss theme at all. I usually pay a lot of attention to game music, too. Its good music, it just doesn't stand out to me the same way as something like The Landing, Force Your Way, or Terra's Theme. Also, this is the best ATE in FF9 because of the music:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9IwDkM5uDSs&t=8s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

fount of knowledge posted:

What does the voice acting have to do with the soundtrack? 90% of the music in that game plays while nobody's talking.

Yeah but I turned the sound off and left it off instead of waiting for someone to start talking.

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JX9rme2ZU18

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

And 13 continues the trend in the most literal way possible. Wow. Even 11 had awesome music in comparison.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
I love that track. Actually, I would be willing to say that XIII-2 and XIII are up there with X as my favorite soundtracks.

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
XIII's soundtrack is actually really good, I think, that song is just so hilariously out of place I'll remember it more than any of the rest.
Yet I still whistle it when playing XIII-2 :(

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I thought XIII had a few good tracks. It's the only main series FF I've played that I'd say had a forgettable OST however.

FFIV needs more love.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R3Tx_Of6Dv0

Graphical limitations, audio limitations, it all doesn't loving matter when you're as good as FF4. I'll never forget going to the Moon for the first time with that theme playing.

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

DeathBySpoon posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GUNLwlenkh0&t=74s

Teddie Kefka is the best Dissidia character.

I actually agree about FF9's music not being as memorable, though- I'm playing through it RIGHT NOW, at about 30 hours in on Disc 3, and I couldn't remember the boss theme at all. I usually pay a lot of attention to game music, too. Its good music, it just doesn't stand out to me the same way as something like The Landing, Force Your Way, or Terra's Theme. Also, this is the best ATE in FF9 because of the music:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9IwDkM5uDSs&t=8s

I listened to the final boss theme from FF9 yesterday when someone posted it and already today I don't remember it. It's so undistinct compared to something like FF4's awesome Zeromus boss music. Now that was a final boss theme.

ShadeofDante
Feb 17, 2007

speaking of minds! know what's on mine? murders.
X and XIII-2 are two of my favorite soundtracks currently, but that's because I was a horrible loser and listened to I-IX on loop through high school. Even the arguably "worst" game in the series (II) still has a few memorable songs in it.

X had the right balance of awesome themes and chill background themes. Someday The Dream Will End is one of the most memorable themes, just the haunting melody and the fact is the only thing that plays including during battles kinda hits hard at the finality of the game. (Funny that XIII tried the same thing with Oerba and Dust to Dust or whatever that song was called and kinda succeeded)

But seriously, Besaid Island's theme in X is one of the best relaxing songs in the series. Could listen to that poo poo for hours.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Ok, so I'm starting to go through replaying the series in sort of a random hodgepodge order. Which version of FFVII should I be going with? I've got PSX and the old PC version. Do I gain enough in loading screens to go PC? Or should I just fire up ye olde PS Deuce and kick it?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Toshimo posted:

Ok, so I'm starting to go through replaying the series in sort of a random hodgepodge order. Which version of FFVII should I be going with? I've got PSX and the old PC version. Do I gain enough in loading screens to go PC? Or should I just fire up ye olde PS Deuce and kick it?

PSX version has better music although there is a patch for the PC version to make it less awful. Otherwise they're identical so just go with whatever you want. The new PC version does have an additional feature with built in cheating so you can instantly max out characters levels/money/materia and steam roll the game if you're only in it for the plot and locales and for some reason unwilling to just hack your other copies of the game..

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
^ He specified "old PC," so I'm assuming all of that "click button online" poo poo is out of the question.

Toshimo posted:

PC has sharper res--or at least CAN have sharper resolutions--and modding. You can toss your PSX discs into ePSXe, and that'll also give you those same sharp resolutions on the models and textures, but ePSXe has problems with FF7 and may randomly crash on you. 'Course, I can't speak for the stability of the old PC release, so maybe that'll crash on you regularly too, haha.

Also O-face.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005
I say just play on PS2, I recently played it that way without a problem. Still the best mainline Final Fantasy. (Don't listen to anyone who posts after me, they're wrong.)

Wendell
May 11, 2003

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

I say just play on PS2, I recently played it that way without a problem. Still the best mainline Final Fantasy. (Don't listen to anyone who posts after me, they're wrong.)

Final Fantasy 7 is a fantastic game. Now what, smart guy??

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Wendell posted:

Final Fantasy 7 is a fantastic game. Now what, smart guy??

Okay you can listen to this one. (I guess I should have been more clear, that people will spew hatred for 7 and they should be ignored.)

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

Okay you can listen to this one. (I guess I should have been more clear, that people will spew hatred for 7 and they should be ignored.)

Not everybody likes having a Lovecraft monster be the villain.

Those people are of course, wrong. FFVII and X for life.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

FFVI has pretty much the closest thing to a perfect game soundtrack that I can think of. All of the songs are pretty great at setting the scene and evoking the right emotions. There doesn't really seem to be one stinker among them.

Ross
May 25, 2001

German Moses

Mustach posted:

9 could be the overall best and most polished in the series if only it had a better battle system. Or maybe even just a faster one. Even at max ATB speed, plus haste, plus max stats, it still takes multiple seconds for the bar to fill. Plus, the introductory camera pans are interminable. It feels like a bucket of nyquil after 8's speed. Also, I'm sure it's been mentioned a hundred times, but trance is just a frustrating mechanism. Half the time the drat thing activates right before somebody else kills the last enemy and the trance is wasted.

This was my big beef with 9 too. I was never one to get all :argh: about load times but the game was just so slow, especially in battles.

I also hold that no FF with less than four-character parties can make any claim at being the best :colbert:

Haven't seen much FF Dimensions chat in this thread. What do folks think of it? I'm about halfway through Chapter 2 now and really like it. Something with the character sprites is a bit off (lack of animation?) but I'd put it on par with FF5 just about in terms of fun and quality. Compared to 4 and 6 the story isn't as good and the characters aren't as memorable but I suppose that's to be expected from a port of a cell phone game.

Ross fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Sep 10, 2012

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Ross posted:

Haven't seen much FF Dimensions chat in this thread. What do folks think of it? I'm about halfway through Chapter 2 now and really like it. Something with the character sprites is a bit off (lack of animation?) but I'd put it on par with FF5 just about in terms of fun and quality. Compared to 4 and 6 the story isn't as good and the characters aren't as memorable but I suppose that's to be expected from a port of a cell phone game.

I think the consensus was that it wasn't a very good deal for $30. Its looks ok to me but I don't have a device that can play it so I can't really say.

Ross
May 25, 2001

German Moses
I think it would actually look better if they had a toggle for putting the text and menus in a low-rez Chicago font. The menus and text boxes look really out of place with the otherwise SNES-ish graphics.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Pesky Splinter posted:

I can't forgive the localisers for Dissidia, not putting "I, Garland, will knock you all down" in. <:mad:>

Using these secret techniques passed down by the Armstrong Family for generations!

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

Harlock posted:

FFVI has pretty much the closest thing to a perfect game soundtrack that I can think of. All of the songs are pretty great at setting the scene and evoking the right emotions. There doesn't really seem to be one stinker among them.

Pokemon Black and White :colbert:

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Momomo posted:

Pokemon Black and White :colbert:

I liked that soundtrack, but it's not nearly as memorable as FFVI. Uematsu has a talent for crafting songs that won't leave your head. Zozo. You're welcome.

CloseFriend
Aug 21, 2002

Un malheur ne vient jamais seul.

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

Zozo. You're welcome.
You gently caress.

A friend of mine in college fell asleep in his car once with that song playing on repeat. He described waking up to it as one of the worst experiences of his life. I like the song, but just listening to it makes me understand what he's talking about and feel abject pity for him.

Aside from Dancing Mad (the obvious choice) and Devil's Lab (which I loved so much I transcribed it), for FF6 music I'm pretty partial to Another World of Beasts because of its ⅞ time. Odd time signatures are a bitch to compose in, so I respect anyone who pulls it off that well.

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

Chrono Trigger / Cross and Final Fantasy are all good and well, but the best RPG soundtrack of the last few years is NieR's. This is a good example although the entire thing is solid.

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

Stoat posted:

Chrono Trigger / Cross and Final Fantasy are all good and well, but the best RPG soundtrack of the last few years is NieR's. This is a good example although the entire thing is solid.

Nope, you mean this is a good example.

Valigarmanda
May 15, 2007

The frozen creature began emitting an eerie light...

NikkolasKing posted:

Graphical limitations, audio limitations, it all doesn't loving matter when you're as good as FF4. I'll never forget going to the Moon for the first time with that theme playing.

That song still gives me chills when I hear it. Same with its version of the Prelude; I had heard the NES version beforehand and when the main melody first came in I sat in awe. Still do, haha.

FF4 is one of the most solid soundtracks in the series, I think. There is not one song in that entire game I dislike. I remember being 6 years old and hearing "The Dreadful Fight" for the first time and knowing that poo poo just got real. To this day it's my favorite boss theme in the entire series.

ShadeofDante
Feb 17, 2007

speaking of minds! know what's on mine? murders.

Stoat posted:

Don't listen to this person, this is actually the worst song in the soundtrack because you'll hear it for half of the game while you're out in fields.

The soundtrack is great overall, but that song just... grates on me due to hearing it constantly.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Also, I have completely forgotten where I left off in FFXIII since last year. I know I'm in the postgame and the save I have puts me in the plaza so I was apparently farming the turtle there. I don't have t3 weapons, but I can apparently do the Summon method for the turtle routinely. What do I need to clear the rest of the postgame? Is it just mashing turtles for 3 trapezohedrons so I can get T3 weapons and cruise control through Titan's gauntlets?

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

NikkolasKing posted:

Graphical limitations, audio limitations, it all doesn't loving matter when you're as good as FF4.

To this very day I find myself humming Cecil's Theme under my breath when working on things.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Valigarmanda posted:

That song still gives me chills when I hear it. Same with its version of the Prelude; I had heard the NES version beforehand and when the main melody first came in I sat in awe. Still do, haha.

FF4 is one of the most solid soundtracks in the series, I think. There is not one song in that entire game I dislike. I remember being 6 years old and hearing "The Dreadful Fight" for the first time and knowing that poo poo just got real. To this day it's my favorite boss theme in the entire series.

With the normal boss theme, Battle with the Four Fiends and Zeromus' final boss music, I dare say absolutely no other FF game has such a perfect collection of boss tunes.

Mr. Maltose posted:

To this very day I find myself humming Cecil's Theme under my breath when working on things.

Unlike a lot of people I have no nostalgic ties to FFIV. I only beat it for the first time last year. Nevertheless, hearing that theme kick in as the forces of the world assemble to fight back the Giant of Babel gives me chills.

Its like the scene in FFIX when the hundreds of silver dragons are fought off by the surprise appearance of Lindblum's and Alexandria's air fleets. No matter how many times I watch these two sequences, they remain as potent as ever.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

NikkolasKing posted:

With the normal boss theme, Battle with the Four Fiends and Zeromus' final boss music, I dare say absolutely no other FF game has such a perfect collection of boss tunes.
I just love the FF4 boss themes. It's like he knew he was gonna make some sweeping 1990s fantasy epic poo poo, but then decided "hey let's throw in some 80s synth and like prog rock too, why the gently caress not?"

And today you have people who bang on keyboards in Garage Band on mute so they can simulate the disadvantage of composing with fake instruments, and I'm sure we all agree that this is the worst composition philosophy we've ever heard of.

Mustach
Mar 2, 2003

In this long line, there's been some real strange genes. You've got 'em all, with some extras thrown in.

Toshimo posted:

Also, I have completely forgotten where I left off in FFXIII since last year. I know I'm in the postgame and the save I have puts me in the plaza so I was apparently farming the turtle there. I don't have t3 weapons, but I can apparently do the Summon method for the turtle routinely. What do I need to clear the rest of the postgame? Is it just mashing turtles for 3 trapezohedrons so I can get T3 weapons and cruise control through Titan's gauntlets?
Don't worry about grinding unless you feel like it. I've got 5 stars on every mission and don't have any T3s.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

While we're on a music kick, I feel obligated to mention that while Mystic Quest had gently caress-all going for it in many regards, it had some goddamn fantastic songs.

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

ShadeofDante posted:

Don't listen to this person, this is actually the worst song in the soundtrack because you'll hear it for half of the game while you're out in fields.

The soundtrack is great overall, but that song just... grates on me due to hearing it constantly.

I love that song but maybe that's because I never actually played the game!

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
God dammit, stop talking about music that isn't Mt. Gulg! It's one of the best FF tracks ever, YES ONE OF THE BEST, I'M NOT WRONG, SHUT UP!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gehuun6aOuM

The Theatrhythm version's pretty loving awesome too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eV8Ysdb3hVM

YES, I LOVE FF1 MUSIC, WHY DO YOU ASK?

Three Cookies
Apr 9, 2010

Stoat posted:

This is a good example although the entire thing is solid.

This just makes me think about sheep.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

Vil posted:

While we're on a music kick, I feel obligated to mention that while Mystic Quest had gently caress-all going for it in many regards, it had some goddamn fantastic songs.

:hfive: Mystic Quest is my SNES guilty pleasure. I could listen to that poo poo all day.

E: For shame that you didn't link to the Lava Dome.

Artix fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Sep 11, 2012

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

The White Dragon posted:

I just love the FF4 boss themes. It's like he knew he was gonna make some sweeping 1990s fantasy epic poo poo, but then decided "hey let's throw in some 80s synth and like prog rock too, why the gently caress not?"

And today you have people who bang on keyboards in Garage Band on mute so they can simulate the disadvantage of composing with fake instruments, and I'm sure we all agree that this is the worst composition philosophy we've ever heard of.

Your bit about FF4's boss music being awesome (because it is) reminds me of another thing I like about FF4's bosses.

Because FF4 has a fixed party with fixed capabilities at every major point, the game's designed knowing exactly the tools you have to fight the boss. It turns every boss fight (dungeons, too, but not as much I feel) into a puzzle, figuring out how to use the tools available to you to overcome the challenge. It's something I think most of the other FF games lack. In all the other games, there's the simple paradigm* of "use your best moves, heal as necessary". In FF4, that's a valid strategy, except that you'll have bosses where Tellah is your main healer, and he's also your damage (Dark Elf). You'll have bosses where all out offense is the best idea (Leviathan), and others where it's the worst (Asura). You'll have bosses that force you to use abilities you might have overlooked (Demon Wall), while others will punish you for using your best abilities regardless of warnings (CPU). In the end, a game full of gimmick bosses ends with the only true slugfest boss of the bunch, turning the lack of a gimmick into a gimmick itself. It's great design that I personally feel is lacking from the other games.

*I couldn't help but chuckle at my own word choice here. FF13 is probably the closest to FF4 in this regard, as thanks to its heavy concentration on the combat system, it has to make as many of the challenges that come your way as distinct as possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Vittles
Feb 12, 2008

I'm not a nerd! I'm a video game enthusiast.

Vil posted:

The best part about this post is that anyone who's played the game knows exactly what four songs were linked before even clicking them. FF:MQ was a lot of fun, once I gave up trying to take the game seriously and just enjoyed the ridiculous ride.