Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

Gologle posted:

There's a team tech in The Golden Girls called Final Fantasy that can only be performed with Cecil, Kain, Rosa, Edge, and Rydia and it owns bones.

I'm using Cecil, Kain, Rose, Blanche, and Dorothy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Varance
Oct 28, 2004

Ladies, hide your footwear!
Nap Ghost

Cavelcade posted:

What the gently caress was that introduction to Shelke?

I know there's a thread for WoFF now but everyone must know.

Shelke's Countertek doesn't work unless target is actually using the thing that needs to be countered. In the case of Lann and Reynn's limiters, Shelke had to attack them to get them to fully engage the limiters preventing them from using their keeper abilities, at which point she could destroy the limiters while they were active.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
the weird little girl in Dirge is in WOF? uhhh

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Tired Moritz posted:

Orange the Orange made it, but FF12 is MIA.

Varance
Oct 28, 2004

Nap Ghost

Barudak posted:

A bunch of games were left out for sequel content. That much was stated over and over in the Who's Who and Mirage descriptions.

Remember, not all of the games showed up in the first Kingdom Hearts, either.

Varance fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Nov 7, 2016

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

Barudak posted:

Actually it is orange the colourless

Varance
Oct 28, 2004

Nap Ghost
It should be mentioned that the Xenogears post-game crossover is pretty faithful to the subject matter, though extremely long (to be expected, though, it's a secret boss). There's the usual goofy fourth wall breaking pre-fight conversation, plus Mirage entry even mentions that Monolith Soft had a hand in the fight's development. Spoilers: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CLm9hY6uoic

Varance fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Nov 7, 2016

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Tired Moritz posted:

She's also an absurdly good summon. She does a full party heal, including status effects, and clears any "positive status effects" that the enemy has. This does not include protect or shell, though, so I wonder if this just does haste and reflect away?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Pureauthor posted:

Actually it is orange the colourless

Please do not correct me, and thus making me retain more information regarding Dirge of Cerberus.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
wtf 8-bit scholar you're still here???

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Barudak posted:

Please do not correct me, and thus making me retain more information regarding Dirge of Cerberus.

I will remind everyone of Dirge of cerberus for as long as I live

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
A cautionary tale for the ages, truly.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3

Captain Baal posted:

Remember when Vincent turned into a Weapon and fought a moon man in his moon ship who was brainwashing Rydia clones and throwing them down onto the Planet to judge whether life was worthy of evolution or not, and it was super anime because first Vincent stabs him, but then he teleports behind Vincent and stabs him, but then it turns out Vincent had teleported behind the teleport backstab and teleport stabbed Stay Puff Creator dude?

I member.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Captain Baal posted:

what exactly does the dirge sound like, does cerebus come out and play it or did he make it a long time ago and vincent has to play it for some reason

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
It sounds like GACKT

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3

mandatory lesbian posted:

what exactly does the dirge sound like, does cerebus come out and play it or did he make it a long time ago and vincent has to play it for some reason

You know, I have wondered about this very same question for a very long time and my best guess is that he's named after Vincent's keychain on his gun, which IIRC is a three headed dog, AKA Cerberus, the guardian pupper of the underworld. A dirge is a sad song, basically (this is a vast oversimplification, but bear with me), so I want to say the title has the meaning of Vincent's gun crying for its master, either because he must once again use it to kill those who oppose him, or perhaps it is because Vincent walks a dark and troubled path toward redemption for his past and as a weapon of death the gun wishes for him to keep spiraling downward into self loathing and depression about losing his old life and the loves and passions associated with it and keep on killing, satiating the gun's desire to fulfill its purpose, as a killing machine, which is to kill. As Vincent at the start and the end has basically retreated from humanity to live an ascetic life the gun's purpose is nil, thus it plays a "dirge", the dirge of "Cerberus".

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IH4hKLfsQKc

Varance
Oct 28, 2004

Nap Ghost

Gologle posted:

You know, I have wondered about this very same question for a very long time and my best guess is that he's named after Vincent's keychain on his gun, which IIRC is a three headed dog, AKA Cerberus, the guardian pupper of the underworld. A dirge is a sad song, basically (this is a vast oversimplification, but bear with me), so I want to say the title has the meaning of Vincent's gun crying for its master, either because he must once again use it to kill those who oppose him, or perhaps it is because Vincent walks a dark and troubled path toward redemption for his past and as a weapon of death the gun wishes for him to keep spiraling downward into self loathing and depression about losing his old life and the loves and passions associated with it and keep on killing, satiating the gun's desire to fulfill its purpose, as a killing machine, which is to kill. As Vincent at the start and the end has basically retreated from humanity to live an ascetic life the gun's purpose is nil, thus it plays a "dirge", the dirge of "Cerberus".
Cerberus is the name of his three-barreled hand cannon in Advent Children and Dirge of Cerberus. Each barrel has an engraved Cerberus head on it. The Dirge of Cerberus is literally the song of his gun.

Varance fucked around with this message at 06:52 on Nov 7, 2016

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

hmmm, seems logical

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
I thought the Zack game was viewed to be good and it was only the Dirge of Anime that was bad?

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Dirge of Cerberus is the second best product the final fantasy 7 extended universe has brought and it's bad

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I am playing FF13 again for the first time since it came out and I didn't even get to Pulse back then. I'm mostly enjoying it despite SE not wanting you to be able to actually play it properly yet. Those first two chapters before you even get paradigms and can't level up though lol.
Eidolon battles are still annoying, even more so since the PC version apparently still has the bug where the Libra entry on how to beat them is blank.
Oh and the Japanese voices are a lot better than I remember the English dub being.

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

Varance posted:

Shelke's Countertek doesn't work unless target is actually using the thing that needs to be countered. In the case of Lann and Reynn's limiters, Shelke had to attack them to get them to fully engage the limiters preventing them from using their keeper abilities, at which point she could destroy the limiters while they were active.

That's a good explanation for that but the way they were describing her as the bestestestestestestestestest was cringeworthy. Was someone working on the game also on DoC or something? Is she a well loved character??

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U0XJGqMp8d8

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Doom and dash cancels are a thing now I guess?

The Machine
Dec 15, 2004
Rage Against / Welcome to
I hope that a World of FF sequel will include other SE titles. I would love to see characters from Chrono Trigger, the Mana series, and Xenogears.

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

victoria concordia crescit

This is what you were looking for

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LXp0v93ZRTs

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I always preferred "Longing."

Gackt was still better when he was with Malice Mizer.

Speaking of FFVII though, an odd thought occurred to me. As some of you might know, I love me some hard mods. This is in sharp juxtaposition to younger me who never beat any game without a GameShark. All my original FF conquests were accomplished via cheat codes. But since I stopped that practice, I have only replayed FFVII with heavy gameplay mods. Which means I have actually never beaten Final Fantasy VII proper.

So I just snatched it off PSN for my PS4. It is currently downloading and I'm curious to find out how easy or hard the game is. I would guess easy but I dunno. Enemy Skills in vanilla sounds like it's the most broken thing and you could beat everything between Beta, Big Guard and Magic Hammer. So I guess I'll have to avoid that. Although I would assume fighting the Midgar Zolom as early as possible is a decent challenge.

So what is the opinion of people here on game breakers to avoid or the game's overall difficulty?

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Nov 7, 2016

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

As long as you don't go out of your way to get OP enemy skills the game has a pretty natural difficulty curve that never really gets very hard. at least from what I remember when I played through it.

CeallaSo
May 3, 2013

Wisdom from a Fool

NikkolasKing posted:

Enemy Skills in vanilla sounds like it's the most broken thing and you could beat everything between Beta, Big Guard and Magic Hammer. So I guess I'll have to avoid that. Although I would assume fighting the Midgar Zolom as early as possible is a decent challenge.

So what is the opinion of people here on game breakers to avoid or the game's overall difficulty?

FFVII is incredibly easy. You could beat the entire game using nothing but physical attacks if you wanted to, and it wouldn't present an especially demanding challenge. Similarly, you could be like I was at age 12 and spam summons, which is also effective (if incredibly time-intensive). I can't even say what the toughest non-Weapon bosses are, they left so little impact. Maybe the machine you fight before getting the sub in Junon?

Fighting the Zolom early isn't really a "challenge," it's a "you can do it, or you can't." If you have the Elemental materia from the Mayor in Midgar attached to Fire on your defense, the character wearing it can survive Beta. The rest die, but by then you can just run. The fight itself isn't particularly difficult otherwise since he attacks so infrequently and has a very obvious tell on his counter.

But yes, avoid Enemy Skill (and grabbing enemy skills earlier than intended) if you don't want to obliterate what little challenge the game has to offer.

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

victoria concordia crescit

NikkolasKing posted:

I always preferred "Longing."

Gackt was still better when he was with Malice Mizer.

Speaking of FFVII though, an odd thought occurred to me. As some of you might know, I love me some hard mods. This is in sharp juxtaposition to younger me who never beat any game without a GameShark. All my original FF conquests were accomplished via cheat codes. But since I stopped that practice, I have only replayed FFVII with heavy gameplay mods. Which means I have actually never beaten Final Fantasy VII proper.

So I just snatched it off PSN for my PS4. It is currently downloading and I'm curious to find out how easy or hard the game is. I would guess easy but I dunno. Enemy Skills in vanilla sounds like it's the most broken thing and you could beat everything between Beta, Big Guard and Magic Hammer. So I guess I'll have to avoid that. Although I would assume fighting the Midgar Zolom as early as possible is a decent challenge.

Longing was a good B-side, but it's Redemption that plays during the final boss battle. Gackt-era Malice Mizer was really awesome though. He's still got a fantastic solo library.

Anyway, on the subject of FF7, I've done a no materia run and the only boss that can really give you trouble is the Carry Armor in the submarine dock under Junon. So you'll need to really really restrict yourself to get a true challenge. I'd honestly just recommend playing through without restrictions (except avoid the W-item dupe trick) if you want to experience the game without gameplay mods. That's not to say you'll breeze through the game without an issue, but I think it's more fun to use the full breadth of abilities the game gives you.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

CeallaSo posted:

FFVII is incredibly easy. You could beat the entire game using nothing but physical attacks if you wanted to, and it wouldn't present an especially demanding challenge. Similarly, you could be like I was at age 12 and spam summons, which is also effective (if incredibly time-intensive). I can't even say what the toughest non-Weapon bosses are, they left so little impact. Maybe the machine you fight before getting the sub in Junon?

Fighting the Zolom early isn't really a "challenge," it's a "you can do it, or you can't." If you have the Elemental materia from the Mayor in Midgar attached to Fire on your defense, the character wearing it can survive Beta. The rest die, but by then you can just run. The fight itself isn't particularly difficult otherwise since he attacks so infrequently and has a very obvious tell on his counter.

But yes, avoid Enemy Skill (and grabbing enemy skills earlier than intended) if you don't want to obliterate what little challenge the game has to offer.

the only real difficult thing about battling Midgar Zolom is surviving the Beta at the end, and as long as, like you said, you have the elemental materia and inflict sadness, you'll tank it with someone just fine. FFVII isn't a challenging game by any means. even the superbosses have fairly simple methods to take them out, as far as I recall.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon
Don't tell people to do dumb challenge runs of FF7 for their first time or make them feel bad by saying they can beat any battle with the attack command because you are ok with grinding every area like a gamefaqs putz.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

bloodychill posted:

Don't tell people to do dumb challenge runs of FF7 for their first time or make them feel bad by saying they can beat any battle with the attack command because you are ok with grinding every area like a gamefaqs putz.
A no materia run would be about twice as fun and interesting than most of the difficulty patches that dude has used for the other games.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

zedprime posted:

A no materia run would be about twice as fun and interesting than most of the difficulty patches that dude has used for the other games.

Haha, fair point.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

CeallaSo posted:

I can't even say what the toughest non-Weapon bosses are, they left so little impact.

It's the Shinra Safe Monster(tm)

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

The wall boss, that crane thing you fight before getting the submarine (?), and for some reason I always get killed at least once by the boss you fight after Aerith gets stabbed so I have to sit through the cutscenes a couple of times.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
edit: wrong thread

1st AD fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Nov 7, 2016

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

zedprime posted:

Not even close. A no materia run means actively refusing to utilize the main component of gameplay in a video game. The beauty of a hardcore patch is that you utilize every aspect of gameplay merely to survive, instead of restricting yourself lest you destroy everything.

I don't see how you can even make the comparison, honestly. No offensive magic, no summons, no support, no nothing - just mash X a lot for hundreds of battles. How riveting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
FF7 has some of the best use items in the series but they are completely blown away by vanilla materia let alone enemy skill materia. I picked that conduct for a reason, because there is no other reason to use those items except for one side quest.