Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
fyi, i think fates: conquest on lunatic, devil survivor 1 on hard, xcom: ew on impossible, and any of the ridiculous $90 world war simulations are all harder games than 1.3. also, better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Reiterpallasch posted:

fft, vanilla or 1.3, does none of this. it presents you with enemy formations that are straight up horseshit unless you know the secret shibboleth to making the ai waste 80% of its turns, and then every encounter is very straightforward and easy to understand.

Also known as "being hard"

gigglefeimer
Mar 16, 2007

Reiterpallasch posted:

you're confusing "not being fun" and "requiring undocumented information" with "being hard"

you have as much time to make your move as you like in a srpg. the only way they can be hard is by overloading your ability to process the strategic situation--by presenting you with multiple different threats which you have to manage (fe: fates conquest), or objectives that you can fail (devil survivor), or incentivizing unnecessary risk (xcom's meld mechanic), or imperfect information that you have to understand (fog of war mechanics) or straight up a game state which is too big to fit in a human mind (big wwii-scale wargames).

fft, vanilla or 1.3, does none of this. it presents you with enemy formations that are straight up horseshit unless you know the secret shibboleth to making the ai waste 80% of its turns, and then every encounter is very straightforward and easy to understand.

Seems like this applies to 1.3 imo

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
it's a nice thought, but fft maps are small, move ranges are low, meaning you don't really deal with the sort of battlefield prioritization that you do in other srpgs. plus, you win pretty much every stage by either neutralizing all the baddies or one specific baddie, which i understand is an engine limitation of fft but also constricts the design.

there's this map in fe: fates conquest, chapter 10, which encompasses a lot of what i'm talking about here. in it, you basically have to defend a fortified position with three defensible ingress points for a bunch of turns. your units are just fast enough that you can shuffle them around if you have to in order to meet enemy waves as they come, and just slow enough that you don't want to if you don't have to. fire emblem's basic combat system is extremely simplistic on a tactical level, but the map achieves real difficulty by giving you enough strategic rope to hang yourself with. there's plenty of ways to lose because you made a real strategic mistake, not because you did your CT times tables wrong

the ability to contract your rings of defense on the left and right side of the map is very important in the last couple of turns, but doing it a turn too early or a turn too late is...bad
the timing of the enemy reinforcement waves bait you into mispositioning units, or underestimating how long it takes to move guys from one theatre to another.
the houses with loot outside of your defensive perimeter encourage you to make sorties, which put your units at more risk unless you plan things out very well.

basically what i'm saying is that conquest is a very good srpg and also a hard one, in a way better way than any fft hardtype patch is

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Limiting your party to 5 in an sprg is a bad thing

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

There are, multiple kinds, of difficulty.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe

Andrast posted:

Also known as "being hard"

hypothetically speaking, would you consider a game of tic-tac-toe where the only controls are a) needlessly obtuse, and b) written in sanskrit to be hard? being hard to understand isn't the same as being hard.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Reiterpallasch posted:

it's a nice thought, but fft maps are small, move ranges are low, meaning you don't really deal with the sort of battlefield prioritization that you do in other srpgs. plus, you win pretty much every stage by either neutralizing all the baddies or one specific baddie, which i understand is an engine limitation of fft but also constricts the design.

there's this map in fe: fates conquest, chapter 10, which encompasses a lot of what i'm talking about here. in it, you basically have to defend a fortified position with three defensible ingress points for a bunch of turns. your units are just fast enough that you can shuffle them around if you have to in order to meet enemy waves as they come, and just slow enough that you don't want to if you don't have to. fire emblem's basic combat system is extremely simplistic on a tactical level, but the map achieves real difficulty by giving you enough strategic rope to hang yourself with. there's plenty of ways to lose because you made a real strategic mistake, not because you did your CT times tables wrong

the ability to contract your rings of defense on the left and right side of the map is very important in the last couple of turns, but doing it a turn too early or a turn too late is...bad
the timing of the enemy reinforcement waves bait you into mispositioning units, or underestimating how long it takes to move guys from one theatre to another.
the houses with loot outside of your defensive perimeter encourage you to make sorties, which put your units at more risk unless you plan things out very well.

basically what i'm saying is that conquest is a very good srpg and also a hard one, in a way better way than any fft hardtype patch is

Beating Conquest ch. 10 on lunatic for the first time was probably my favorite video game moment. Man that is a well designed map.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

quote:

Speaking of characters, we also learn that Iris, Aranea and Cor will become playable via the final multiplayer DLC. Developers would also like to include Lunafreya, but that isn’t confirmed, and will be done if possible.

From the Ultimania

http://www.dualshockers.com/2016/12/29/final-fantasy-xv-changes-final-fantasy-versus-xiii-explained-info-characters-shared/

gigglefeimer
Mar 16, 2007

Reiterpallasch posted:

Sounds boring

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
archael.txt

gigglefeimer
Mar 16, 2007

Bongo Bill posted:

There are, multiple kinds, of difficulty.

Hey now, this level of nuance isn't allowed in this thread.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
What I really liked about Final Fantasy Tactics Advanced was that it was compact, but it never felt small. It's easier to do that on a handheld, because everything's already smaller, but I felt that TA burst from the seams with a lot of color and it felt expansive and immersive in bite-sized doses. You could play that game endlessly, yet you could also pick it up, play for two minutes, and put it down again having accomplished something important, be it advancing a turn or gearing up for another battle or scrolling through the quests.

I'm not sure if it was ever as mechanically dense as the original Tactics, but I never really got into any of the other Tactics games, but FFTA really hit a sweet spot for me and it's hard to articulate why.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Cyclomatic posted:

So I can get a handle on what people are saying about 1.3, how would people compare what 1.3 is doing to FFT to what Long War is doing for Xcom? To be honest, some of these statements seem similar to statements I see about Long War. Or is it going down an entirely different sort of rabbit hole?

Long War is harder than vanilla XCOM, but it also gives you a lot more options and tools to overcome the challenges it presents. 1.3 is just harder by throwing things with better gear and levels at you. It would be like encountering mutons on the first mission of XCOM while you still have rookies with basic rifles.

I guess it's also pretty different because you can't really grind in XCOM.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Barudak posted:

No, seriously, why. Its a moderate power boost for a single character in a game with four playable members and fairly generous difficulty curve. Just move on and buy the one you can get in a couple of hours.

Stealing constantly in FFIX was terrible because while the reward was pretty good and absolutely why I facerolled the end game, it is so terribly dull and drawn out to get there it just isn't worth it.

It's not even a good power boost because it doesn't have any stats on it that matter for Eiko, and the abilities it teaches are neither good nor unique at that point in the game. As a weapon, it has a single point of attack power over the magic racket, which is a ranged weapon, has an element that can be boosted, and even gives +2 magic. That's assuming you'd ever have Eiko use the attack command in the first place.

Seriously it's not worth it at all.

Fister Roboto fucked around with this message at 07:51 on Dec 30, 2016

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

8-Bit Scholar posted:

What I really liked about Final Fantasy Tactics Advanced was that it was compact, but it never felt small. It's easier to do that on a handheld, because everything's already smaller, but I felt that TA burst from the seams with a lot of color and it felt expansive and immersive in bite-sized doses. You could play that game endlessly, yet you could also pick it up, play for two minutes, and put it down again having accomplished something important, be it advancing a turn or gearing up for another battle or scrolling through the quests.

I'm not sure if it was ever as mechanically dense as the original Tactics, but I never really got into any of the other Tactics games, but FFTA really hit a sweet spot for me and it's hard to articulate why.

I didn't like the game because I wanted another Tactics, but I can appreciate your point here, very true. FFTA2 didn't feel like that for some reason, I saw the world's limits pretty quickly on. (Still enjoyed it more for some reason, but never finished it.)

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

mandatory lesbian posted:

all games are pretty easy, all you have to do is trigger god mode on the ol' action replay

this doesn't work in final fantasy iv (ii to You People) because the game genie code that makes you invincible only also makes enemies invincible if you can't kill them in one hit

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
Penance is dead.

I have the platinum.

You cannot kill me. For I am already dead.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
gently caress hard modes, I should do one of those emulator things where you play FF4, 5, and 6 at the same time using one controller, like those tool-assisted speed runs for Mega Man games.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Mega64 posted:

gently caress hard modes, I should do one of those emulator things where you play FF4, 5, and 6 at the same time using one controller, like those tool-assisted speed runs for Mega Man games.

There's actually a run like this for V and VI, I'd link it but I'm on phone.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Mordiceius posted:

Penance is dead.

I have the platinum.

You cannot kill me. For I am already dead.

Did you use zanmato

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

To echo "there are multiple ways to be hard," requiring mastery and in depth analysis and understanding of arcane game systems which depend on understanding of mathematical formulas (albeit simple ones) and understanding job ability synergy and strategic placement of units and making use of the CT system and doing threat management are all forms of difficulty for people to whom these things don't come naturally. Don't assume these things are simple tasks and equivocate the game to tic tac toe or something. It's naive at best and dishonest and disrespectful at worst.

bloodychill fucked around with this message at 14:16 on Dec 30, 2016

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
I think my main problem with 1.3 was including bullshit unkillable meme bosses and poo poo like that because the developer thought it was funny and is a tool.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

The White Dragon posted:

this doesn't work in final fantasy iv (ii to You People) because the game genie code that makes you invincible only also makes enemies invincible if you can't kill them in one hit

2 and 4 are radically different games dumbass

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

victoria concordia crescit

Help Im Alive posted:

Did you use zanmato

I did because that was the last trophy I needed before getting my platinum trophy and I was so far beyond dealing with a battle script to win that fight so I said "gently caress it."

teknetik
Jan 13, 2010

SO
JEWISH
Dark Yojimbo is a taint. How the gently caress do I survive Wakizashi with nearly max stats? :(

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
Is it just me or is World of Final Fantasy blurry as hell on PS4? (1080 resolution).

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Renoistic posted:

Is it just me or is World of Final Fantasy blurry as hell on PS4? (1080 resolution).

Don't install the patch if you're on a Pro.

Ironically that's the patch they put out for Pro support and it makes everything super blurry.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

Phantasium posted:

Don't install the patch if you're on a Pro.

Ironically that's the patch they put out for Pro support and it makes everything super blurry.

Huh, seems like you're right and that they're working on a new patch to fix the patch. What a mess.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I thought it only made stuff blurry at 4K but I guess not.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Renoistic posted:

Huh, seems like you're right and that they're working on a new patch to fix the patch. What a mess.

at least you can still enjoy that crystal-clear UI. the patch is supposed to be out in January for Japan, but no word yet, I think, for when we can expect the US patch.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
For me it seems to only make things that aren't in focus blurry, so it took me a while to realize the clock in the tearoom wasn't supposed to be like that.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Shoren posted:

I did because that was the last trophy I needed before getting my platinum trophy and I was so far beyond dealing with a battle script to win that fight so I said "gently caress it."

loving hell yeah I used Zanmato. For this reason exactly.

teknetik posted:

Dark Yojimbo is a taint. How the gently caress do I survive Wakizashi with nearly max stats? :(

The only time you really need to worry about Wakizashi is on the very first fight when you're ambushed. If he uses Wakizashi, you're dead. Goodbye. But there's probably only about a 1/3 chance he uses it. If he doesn't use it, you're good. All of your people should have near max agility and auto-haste. This will give you enough turns to cast protect on all 3 members and then Cheer 3-5 times. This will allow you to survive Wakizashi.

Dark Yojimbo was actually one of the easier dark aeons imo.

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

I've probably played through FF4 ten times since first playing it back in 2002 and only now am I getting to TAY. Loving it so far. The story isn't Pulitzer material but as someone who knows FF4 inside-out it's very affecting. Exploring old areas that have had their level design "remixed" is fun.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Shoren posted:

Mordiceius posted:

loving hell yeah I used Zanmato. For this reason exactly.

I did too but it's just kind of funny with all the effort it takes to get to that point that everyone just decides to kill the superboss in one hit

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I have never played a Final Fantasy game that wasn't FFT/FFTA or FFXIV and I want to try one of the mainline games.

Which one would you guys recommend to play first?
XV is not an option and I tend to value gameplay over story, if that matters.

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

victoria concordia crescit

Help Im Alive posted:

I did too but it's just kind of funny with all the effort it takes to get to that point that everyone just decides to kill the superboss in one hit

I'm pretty sure more superbosses would be dealt with similarly if they were susceptible to OHK attacks due to how draining the process of getting there can be in RPGs. FFX was just especially egregious with the sphere grid master nonsense. Blame the player for being obsessed by trophies, no complaints there, but those same players will take the easiest route through everything if given the chance.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

Jack Trades posted:

I have never played a Final Fantasy game that wasn't FFT/FFTA or FFXIV and I want to try one of the mainline games.

IX is probably a pretty good entry to summarize the franchise as a whole, or VI if you want to go a bit further back into the classic era.

I wouldn't really call any of the mainline entries bad introductions to the franchise, though, and even less popular games like XII and XIII have plenty of devotees.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Jack Trades posted:

FFV for GBA if you can

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hackan Slash
May 31, 2007
Hit it until it's not a problem anymore
I'm inspired to play Lightening Returns, because I hear it's similar to Valkyrie Profile. Is that true? How much will I miss out in by never playing any of the 13 games? Is just jumping in a bad idea?