Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

eleven extra elephants posted:

I know this will have been asked before but all I got from googling it is a bunch of gamefaqs nerds arguing with themselves: I’m gonna replay FFX, how easy is it to gimp yourself using the Expert sphere grid? Should I just stick with the standard?

Dont worry about it. The Expert Grid is interesting because you actually some degree of choice what stats and abilities to pick.

That said you get the most out of it if you actually know what does what and you arent just picking paths at random (though thats just fine imo)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
I got through that game fine with Expert grid back when I was like 12, it's nothing particularly scary.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
It's impossible to gimp yourself

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I either managed it or thought I had because I got to the infamous Seymour fight and failed miserably a million times.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Nah that fight is just really hard

(unless you use one of the super broken mix combos or go into the fight with all your aeons ready to overdrive)

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Or just poison him.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

ROFL Octopus posted:

Machinist is so goddamn terrible

Somebody hasn't played Weak Mode. :colbert:

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

But guns are cool. :(

I might make Balthier a red mage mechanist anyway just for style.

Corvinus
Aug 21, 2006
Machinist is legit good dps for the first half, and if you farm up an early Arcturus (possible even before Raithwall) and slap Berserk on 'em, then that Machinist will carry like a pro.

Cronodoculous
Jun 29, 2006

You light up my life

It took me 11 years and 3 almost-complete playthroughs but I finally beat FF12. Boy, things get really weird in the last part, huh?

I'm pretty psyched for FFXV now, and I guess I'm going to watch brotherhood/kingsglaive beforehand? Just want to make sure that's still recommended.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Cronodoculous posted:

It took me 11 years and 3 almost-complete playthroughs but I finally beat FF12. Boy, things get really weird in the last part, huh?

My playthroughs have always stopped when the iambic pentameter crystal gods tell you to become their puppet and nuke everybody in a new holy crusade. I just lose momentum after that for whatever reason, and honestly have no idea how much more game there is.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Cronodoculous posted:

I'm pretty psyched for FFXV now, and I guess I'm going to watch brotherhood/kingsglaive beforehand? Just want to make sure that's still recommended.
Yeah you should do that. They basically are the backstory for the main game.

Between the two I think Brotherhood is better, but Kingsglaive has the amazing combination of Aaron Paul/Sean Bean/Lena Headey in a Final Fantasy movie.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Bruceski posted:

My playthroughs have always stopped when the iambic pentameter crystal gods tell you to become their puppet and nuke everybody in a new holy crusade.

iirc the story itself isn't much longer than that, but it has one or two nightmare-tier warp maze dungeons standing between you and the final boss. the enemies are weak, but the navigation is hellish.

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Feb 17, 2018

Cronodoculous
Jun 29, 2006

You light up my life

Bruceski posted:

My playthroughs have always stopped when the iambic pentameter crystal gods tell you to become their puppet and nuke everybody in a new holy crusade. I just lose momentum after that for whatever reason, and honestly have no idea how much more game there is.

There's really only one more area after that, but hoo boy is it a doozy. I played that whole part on 4x speed because it really is dull as hell.

I have this sort of problem in a lot of Final Fantasy games actually, where I get to the end then stop playing. I never beat FF9 when all I needed to do was go to that portal on top of the tree and fight the end boss. In my second playthrough of FF12 I got all the way to the final boss but couldn't actually beat him, and wasn't interested in grinding to a point where I could, so I just quit. FFX-2 I think I've never beaten, again because the final boss/final area was too tedious, or maybe I just got tired doing a sidequest area. I also bought a lot of the GBA/DS Final Fantasy ports, and I never even came close to beating any of those. Not sure why I kept buying them for so long.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
The trailer for the March 6th update to Comrades, which is also when the Windows/Royal Edition releases, is pretty interesting. Seems certain weapons have updated movesets and spells, as well as a new(?) barehanded brawler fighting style. We also get to fight Ifrit in Comrades it seems, and judging by the trailer, he has some new moves.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

Cronodoculous posted:

I heartily recommend Brotherhood. It's cute and gives the boys some much needed backstory. Kingsglaive is severely flawed but I still enjoyed it somewhat. The main reason to watch it is to give Luna, the main female character, and the MC's dad a backstory, and to set up the larger conflict. Most of it is stuff that was supposed to be in the original game, before it was essentially rebooted. I'm sad some of the stuff isn't in the actual game, but having the whole thing wouldn't make any sense, so in the end I believe they made the right choice.

But they really, really, really, should have included the first four minutes of the movie at some point. It provides really important context and backstory for Noctis, Luna and her brother. In the game you are able to get the gist of it, but those three minutes would have made a lot of people less confused about character motivations.

Anyway, watching the movie makes the awesome Episode Ignis DLC even better, so just do it if you're interested.

Renoistic fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Feb 18, 2018

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
I feel like FF12 is balanced around the assumption that you'll do a decent amount of hunts as and when they become available, so if you don't do any hunts other than the two that are plot-mandatory then you're going to do a lot of level grinding. Take down Gilgamesh though and your characters can probably solo most of the final boss rush, which is fun to watch in its own right.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Nyx is a cool cat, and he fills the requisite 'MC tells the gods to stuff it' quota of the entry.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

ApplesandOranges posted:

Nyx is a cool cat, and he fills the requisite 'MC tells the gods to stuff it' quota of the entry.

I thought it was hilarious how he desperately tries to keep Luna from doing anything heroic. The few times she actually succeeds without him stopping her are pretty satisfying.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
Question about FFT that I can't seem to find the answer to in FAQs and it's been along time since I played it:

I'm still early in the game, before Argath becomes an enemy and I've taken all his equipment off and I'm refusing to let him learn any skills because gently caress him. Will that matter when I fight him as a boss? I know he gets equipment but does he get any skills that I didn't teach him? I'd prefer he be as easy to brutally murder as possible because one of my favorite parts of the game is brutally murdering him after he kills Tietra.

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

his skills as an enemy are set. it doesn't matter if you teach him things or not, he'll still have his knight skills or w/e. e: i should say it's a set pool of skills he'll draw from.

GulagDolls fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Feb 18, 2018

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Elephant Ambush posted:

Question about FFT that I can't seem to find the answer to in FAQs and it's been along time since I played it:

I'm still early in the game, before Argath becomes an enemy and I've taken all his equipment off and I'm refusing to let him learn any skills because gently caress him. Will that matter when I fight him as a boss? I know he gets equipment but does he get any skills that I didn't teach him? I'd prefer he be as easy to brutally murder as possible because one of my favorite parts of the game is brutally murdering him after he kills Tietra.

None of that matters. Gargarian etc have the armor you give them but they have set skills for the fight no matter what

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!
Yeah, I want to say that first fight with Gaffgarion is the only time you can affect an enemy unit, because he WILL only have the equipment/job/skills he had going into the fight. Every other enemy has left your party before you encounter them again.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost
Thanks.

That reminds me: the WotL version removed the ability to steal stuff from bosses, right?

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

Elephant Ambush posted:

Thanks.

That reminds me: the WotL version removed the ability to steal stuff from bosses, right?

No, that's something in the original games too- any unit with Maintenance is immune to having it's gear stolen and broken, and about 85% of the major NPCs in the game have it as their passive skill. The fact that people mostly remember the exceptions, like Execution Site Gaffgarion and the final battle with Elmdor wearing the Genji set, tends to lead people to forget how often major characters carrying gear from chapters ahead show up and refuse to let you steal or break their stuff.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Mr. Locke posted:

No, that's something in the original games too- any unit with Maintenance is immune to having it's gear stolen and broken, and about 85% of the major NPCs in the game have it as their passive skill. The fact that people mostly remember the exceptions, like Execution Site Gaffgarion and the final battle with Elmdor wearing the Genji set, tends to lead people to forget how often major characters carrying gear from chapters ahead show up and refuse to let you steal or break their stuff.

Oh cool thanks I'm totally nicking all that poo poo then.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!
But I think you are right that Elmdor can't be stolen from in the WotL version. So either he's got Maintenance equipped or passive.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Squeenix should make a Chocobo virtual pet game with breeding for mobile.

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
none of the accessory/grid passives work on special dresspheres eh

i really hate ffx-2

Relin fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Feb 19, 2018

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
Is there any way to screw myself out of any content in Zodiac Age with my job choices, or can I do everything with anything?

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Verranicus posted:

Is there any way to screw myself out of any content in Zodiac Age with my job choices, or can I do everything with anything?

You can do everything.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Verranicus posted:

Be careful with where you put your Espers and quickenings. For example, Shikari requires you to use a quickening to get ninja swords, but there's 4 spots and only 3 quickenings. Make sure one of them is the Yagyu darkblade.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Verranicus posted:

apart from the obvious (ie if nobody is a machinist then you can't use any guns you find) just make sure you check what's behind a quickening before you grab it. usually a job will have one that's got lovely useless stuff behind it and you want to avoid that one, since you only get three. sometimes there's important stuff behind them i.e. the ninja blades

assigning espers is similar though afaik there's nothing exclusively behind them. just check before you buy!

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.
Oh! I kept wanting to mention this for any new 12 HD players: Quickening licences are per character, per board. In short, if you have a character take their 50 LP quickining license on one board, they automatically get the 50 LP quickening license on their other board. BUT! If you have 2 characters with the same job for whatever reason, and one of them claims a quickening license, the other charcter/s with that job can't take that license anymore. So plan ahead!

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

More 12 talk: what’s the best way to deal damage to Chaos?

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

man nurse posted:

If you have the cash then definitely gil toss since its fast, doesn't cost mp and a lot of jobs have access to it. Costs like 10k a cast though. I think he's also weak to wind so black mage/cherry stave/aeroga is a good combo but you'll have to keep feeding them ethers when their mana gets drained.

e: wait no he absorbs wind do NOT do that. Use a non-elemental spell.

MMF Freeway fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Feb 19, 2018

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

man nurse posted:

Souleater, Gil Toss, Drain, Scathe, Bio, Scourge on top of my head

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

WaltherFeng posted:

Souleater, Gil Toss, Drain, Scathe, Bio, Scourge on top of my head

Telekinesis works too.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
Apparently the FF12 mod scene is coming along quickly. This one sounds cool, it re-arranges the licenses back onto one big board but your job determines where you start on it. https://www.nexusmods.com/finalfantasy12/mods/7

Probably not gonna try any of these out personally but I'm glad they exist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reik
Mar 8, 2004

MMF Freeway posted:

Apparently the FF12 mod scene is coming along quickly. This one sounds cool, it re-arranges the licenses back onto one big board but your job determines where you start on it. https://www.nexusmods.com/finalfantasy12/mods/7

Probably not gonna try any of these out personally but I'm glad they exist.

The game could definitely use some difficulty/re-balancing mods and a re-speccing mod.

EDIT: They already have a mod that replaces Vaan with Reks.

Reik fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Feb 19, 2018