Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

J3ng4 posted:

Looking to play FF6 for the first time, what platform should I play it on? I hear it is one of the better games in the series but I've only played 7,9,10,11 and 14 so I wanted to get a taste of the older generation.

Here are your choices:

SNES original. It has a good, but terse, script, and is the best-looking and -sounding version of it. There are a few gameplay bugs, like two whole stats that don't do anything, but the game's difficulty is very low with or without these oversights, so that doesn't matter much.

GBA remake. Unlike some Square Enix retranslations, this one retains the tone of the original rather than getting weirdly archaic, so I prefer it. It's portable! The colors and audio are washed out because of the need to accommodate original-model GBA screens, but if you're emulating you can get a patch that adjusts the color palettes to match the SNES version and replaces the audio with something more like what a SNES could emit. It has a small amount of extra endgame content, and it's not bad but neither is it particularly interesting. (But you can keep items that you steal from the final boss, so that's neat.)

PC/Mobile remake. This version is hideous. Poorly-tiled environmental graphics, nasty filtering, an unfortunate style for character sprites, a bad choice of font, you name it. I guess the battle graphics look fine. It was cheaply done, so it has the exact same content as the GBA version, with one very minor mechanical improvement to a single character that takes them from being the worst character in the game by a huge margin to being the worst character in the game by a narrow margin.

You'll probably get the most recommendations for using the GBA version with patches to restore SNES colors and audio.

Bongo Bill fucked around with this message at 07:39 on Feb 25, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
As much as I hate the art and graphics of the remake, the new ports of 6 retain the entire core of 6, plus add the extra content. So it's not a... bad option. The GBA version suffers from slowdown (unless the patch fixes that too).

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

seiferguy posted:

As much as I hate the art and graphics of the remake, the new ports of 6 retain the entire core of 6, plus add the extra content. So it's not a... bad option. The GBA version suffers from slowdown (unless the patch fixes that too).

This hack purports to fix the sound and a lot of the slowdown. There are other hacks, however, and I am not an expert on this.

Legin Noslen
Sep 9, 2004
Fortified with Rhiboflavin

Cleretic posted:

And a bit of an odd one, but functionally: Exdeath. I realized this when first fighting Kefka at the end of FFVI, and noticing that the scene just before the final boss fight isn't intimidating, it's just kinda pitiful; he raves about nihilism, tries to gently caress up the world again and fails to hit anything, and ultimately just comes off as 'wait, this is his best?' And it doesn't really work for the story I don't think, because you just kinda feel bad for him, you don't want to bring your best to that fight (granted, Kefka's really easy, you don't need it). But Exdeath is an irredeemable, destructive, omnicidal monster, who basically spends the entire back half of the game up to and including the scene before the final boss just loving up things you care about and laughing about it. And that's not just good in the context of FFV's gameplay, it's integral, because the game has an insane power curve and is balanced around you using it, which requires a villain so evil that you're going to go in all-guns-blazing. He's like a Dragon Ball villain, his main job in-story is to be someone you can go all-out on at insane power levels without feeling bad!

Aw, isn't that cute? BUT IT'S WRONG.
No seriously I am going to fix everything for you right now.

Cleretic posted:

And a bit of an odd one, but functionally: Kefka. I realized this when first fighting Exdeath at the end of FFV, and noticing that the scene just before the final boss fight isn't intimidating, it's just kinda pitiful; he raves about nihilism, tries to gently caress up the world again and fails to hit anything, and ultimately just comes off as 'wait, this is his best?' And it doesn't really work for the story I don't think, because you just kinda feel bad for him, you don't want to bring your best to that fight (granted, Exdeath's really easy, you don't need it). But Kefka is an irredeemable, destructive, omnicidal monster, who basically spends the entire back half of the game up to and including the scene before the final boss just loving up things you care about and laughing about it. And that's not just good in the context of FFVI's gameplay, it's integral, because the game has an insane power curve and is balanced around you using it, which requires a villain so evil that you're going to go in all-guns-blazing. He's like a Dragon Ball villain, his main job in-story is to be someone you can go all-out on at insane power levels without feeling bad!

There, now things are correct and good. Hopefully this will help you to be less stupid in the future.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

J3ng4 posted:

Looking to play FF6 for the first time, what platform should I play it on? I hear it is one of the better games in the series but I've only played 7,9,10,11 and 14 so I wanted to get a taste of the older generation.

General rule of thumb is play the GBA version with the music patched to not be poo poo. The mobile/steam version is bad, but if it's the only choice you have it's a fine version of the game-- it's just ugly, that's all.

Personally I'd say play the original SNES version to get dat Woosley charm.

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

The mobile version is fine and the constant autosaving makes it extremely convenient to play a bit at a time here and there, it's probably my preferred way of playing old JRPGs these days.

Microcline
Jul 27, 2012

Sapozhnik posted:

Cid and Vayne are pretty cool.

Cid is out to lunch in an entertaining way, down to his wardrobe choice (you know an old unshaven dude wearing thigh high boots hasn't exactly got it all together upstairs). Could have done more with his relationship with Balthier but whatever. Vayne has a mall goth haircut but other than that he's got motivations that make sense and is somewhat sympathetic while still being clearly villainous.

There's nothing that needs to be explicitly stated about Cid and Balthier's relationship. You spend one scene with him and suddenly everything about Balthier from the way he dresses to the way he talks to his defection from the empire makes total sense. It's a bit of legitimately strong characterization in addition to achieving all of his villainous goals and having a PhD in nuclear space crystals with a minor in theater.

Vayne is more understated reinterpretation of the standard "evil emperor". His pragmatism and ruthlessness is a result of the relatable motivation of wanting to make the world safe for his brother, who he perceives as more innocent and idealistic.

Venat is a space alien from a race whose primary means of influencing the world is the Mephistophelian bargain.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Anyone that names their kid Ffamfran is in the top 10 of villians anyway.

pr0p
Dec 8, 2011
At some point the combat in FFXV clicked with me, and ... now I really like this dumb game.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

The combat is super fun. It's simple, but whatever.

I really like how Comrades plays, too.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Nasgate posted:

Exdeath is the best villain because he repeatedly kicks your poo poo in and murders people/places actually important to the characters themselves and to the player. The game having a hilarious power curve really makes him a fun boss too, since going in blind means you will most likely get absolutely reamed. Then you learn more about the game and he's more like a puzzle than a normal boss fight.

Gilgamesh is the best antagonist.

Yeah, the Exdeath encounters in W2 and W3 are some of the most difficult fights in the series, and I’d argue more difficult than even Shinryu. W2 Exdeath just have a huge variety of nasty moves that do terrible things to your party and a massive amount of HP to burn through, while NED’s four parts each do nasty poo poo, and if you leave one part alive then things go south very, very quickly.

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us
Only the last boss of Romancing SaGa 3 gave me a harder time than NED.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe

Legin Noslen posted:

There, now things are correct and good. Hopefully this will help you to be less stupid in the future.

the only time kefka's ever been impressive or hard is in ff14

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Mega64 posted:

Yeah, the Exdeath encounters in W2 and W3 are some of the most difficult fights in the series, and I’d argue more difficult than even Shinryu. W2 Exdeath just have a huge variety of nasty moves that do terrible things to your party and a massive amount of HP to burn through, while NED’s four parts each do nasty poo poo, and if you leave one part alive then things go south very, very quickly.

The thing that makes all the Exdeath fights hard I think isn't so much what he can do (which is admittedly a lot), and more the fact that he lacks any easily exploitable weakness, there's no simple way to crack either version of him open like there is with so many other FFV bosses. You just have to bring your best and cross your fingers.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
non-fiesta players will always have !mix, the second dumbest command in final fantasy history

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Reiterpallasch posted:

non-fiesta players will always have !mix, the second dumbest command in final fantasy history

Mix is equally broken in all circumstances, it's not really exploiting a weakness of Exdeath's. In fact, NED's levels and stats being all over the place rules out a few of Mix's more offensive options, technically making Mix a little bit less broken in that context.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

Bongo Bill posted:

Here are your choices:

Don't forget the PS1 port which is insanely bad and adds loading times to everything including opening the menu.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Reiterpallasch posted:

What's the dumbest? Sketch?

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

ROFL Octopus posted:

Maybe it was planned to be a twist but he’s the only villain with any screentime whatsoever so

Yeah but also the empire. It's not very well done

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Dragonatrix posted:

Don't forget the PS1 port which is insanely bad and adds loading times to everything including opening the menu.

I’m alright with forgetting the PSX ports

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Oxxidation posted:

Ardyn is one of the best recent FF villains because of how active he is. He has only one goal and that is to ruin the protagonists' day. No soldiers, no politics, no backup, he's just a cavorting shithead constantly nudging Noctis into a nervous breakdown.

Yeah this. Between this and the incredible job his VA does I'd actually put Ardyn as my favourite FF villain except maybe Kuja. Sephiroth's up there as well but the poor localisation of FF7 and him being poo poo in all the successor stuff kinda weighs him down.

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

A Sometimes Food posted:

Yeah this. Between this and the incredible job his VA does I'd actually put Ardyn as my favourite FF villain except maybe Kuja. Sephiroth's up there as well but the poor localisation of FF7 and him being poo poo in all the successor stuff kinda weighs him down.

Sephiroth was handled pretty well in crisis core. in everything else he's just very boring and uninteresting.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

I'm having trouble getting into Lightning Returns. It's just.. boring? Which sucks because I enjoyed 13 well enough and really dug the sequel. I guess I could always give X-2 another try. I wish I still had more of 12 to play but I pretty much exhausted it.

Nothing I do is filling the void of time until 15 hits PC. :(

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

man nurse posted:

Nothing I do is filling the void of time until 15 hits PC. :(

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Cleretic posted:

The thing that makes all the Exdeath fights hard I think isn't so much what he can do (which is admittedly a lot), and more the fact that he lacks any easily exploitable weakness, there's no simple way to crack either version of him open like there is with so many other FFV bosses. You just have to bring your best and cross your fingers.

I mean, you get Carbuncle in his W2 dungeon, if you're not an insane fiesta runner that farms reflect rings. Make him cast lvl3 flare until he gets to low hp where he will reflect aga spells back on himself until he's dead.

That said, having been introduced to FFV with Fiesta, reading how people who played normally feel is interesting.

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

Die Sexmonster! posted:

The loading times on these weren't nearly as bad I was expecting considering how much people talk about it. Chrono Trigger though, that was as bad as I was expecting.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Ya know, I just thought of something. Does Seifer count as a villain?

If so then my favorite FF villains are Kuja, Caius and Seifer. There should have been a redemption arc and he probably needed more screentime on Disk 2 and 3 but I still love everything about his character.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe

Chillgamesh posted:

What's the dumbest? Sketch?

yeah, it hits the triple crown of being poorly designed, poorly balanced, and poorly coded

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I think Gau's Rage deserves on honorable mention. A massive list of 255 different monsters of which only like 2 or 3 are actually worth a drat, and you have to either grind your rear end off or use RNG manipulation to get the ones you want.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

NikkolasKing posted:

Ya know, I just thought of something. Does Seifer count as a villain?

If so then my favorite FF villains are Kuja, Caius and Seifer. There should have been a redemption arc and he probably needed more screentime on Disk 2 and 3 but I still love everything about his character.

Seifer's probably more of an antagonist than a villian, because he doesn't actually have any real villainous motivations of his own. And unlike Golbez, there isn't really any point where he seems to be acting evilly of his own accord, since we only see him doing bad things under Edea/Ultimecia's influence.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
e: i'm really stupid

Reiterpallasch fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Feb 25, 2018

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

:same:

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Polsy posted:

The loading times on these weren't nearly as bad I was expecting considering how much people talk about it. Chrono Trigger though, that was as bad as I was expecting.

The real problem is adding load times where none existed previously.

Yeah, optical media, but still.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Dragonatrix posted:

Fool. I forgot it intentionally.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Bell_ posted:

Only the last boss of Romancing SaGa 3 gave me a harder time than NED.

the last boss in romancing saga 3 is an RNG nightmare, but it can be circumvented by making a party of gimmick characters with high LP like Zou and Boston. give them Dragon God (take no HP damage, only LP damage) and Shadow Servant (increases physical damage by ????%) and spam your strongest techs until it dies.

Fister Roboto posted:

I think Gau's Rage deserves on honorable mention. A massive list of 255 different monsters of which only like 2 or 3 are actually worth a drat, and you have to either grind your rear end off or use RNG manipulation to get the ones you want.

idk if you would consider savescumming to be RNG manipulation. honestly as long as you keep track of the veldt counter, you can just savescum your way to the encounter you want when it comes around.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

Die Sexmonster! posted:

Those who do not learn from history are doomed to make Chrono Trigger for the DS

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Dragonatrix posted:

Those who do not learn from history are doomed to make Chrono Trigger for the DS

Chrono Trigger for the DS was the only version I played and I liked it.

I never heard any criticisms of it either apart from the minor optional dungeons which are minor and optional so who cares.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
People here hate the new translation

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Chrono Trigger DS' translation does go a bit heavy on the archaic speech but it's not that bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
CT's translation seems to depend entirely on how you feel about Frog's Olde English speech.

Otherwise the extras CTDS adds are kinda bad (monster raising is kinda dumb and pointless, anime cutscenes aren't that major plus you can Youtube them, the Reptite extra dungeon is bafflingly terrible, and the post-game dungeon is decent but not really worth getting the DS version over the original by itself), so it honestly comes down to which version is more convenient to get/play. I don't think you can go wrong with either because it's loving god drat Chrono Trigger.

You know, just as long as it's not the PS1 version. I remember playing that version, and even as someone disappointed about FF6's load times, CT's were simply horrid. Five seconds to load battles/the menu is just...god drat was it unplayable.

Mega64 fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Feb 25, 2018