Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Every night he puts his hot dogs in the trees so the pigeons can't get them.

NikkolasKing posted:

I was ready to quit FFXIII because of Orphan's Cradle.

Hope you don't plan on playing XIII-2, its last dungeon is equally boring (and frustratingly hard at random locations).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

There was one shining part of XIII-2 in my opinion, and that is the Dying World. The atmosphere of that place was spot on. That was the only time when I could say I was truly enjoying the story sequence and not playing through the game out of a sense of obligation.

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Yeah, it's those two, and you fill out the third member with raised monsters which have their own Crystarium but are limited to a single role, so when you Paradigm Shift you pull out a different monster (you can have only 3 available at a time, which limits your total variability in paradigms a little more than it was in XIII).

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

The two hours I spent in XIV in late beta were literally the least fun I've ever had while playing a video game.

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Ross posted:

Does blood time have some special significance in Japanese culture? They seem to do this in other games too (Street Fighter for example; I'm sure there are a lot of others).

It's considered an indicator of personality type and interpersonal compatibility much like astrological sign is in the West.

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Loving Life Partner posted:

There should be...some danger of loss

I wholeheartedly disagree with you on this point.

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Seriously how does anyone fail to grasp the leveling system of any Final Fantasy game except maybe 2?

Also whoever said they autoattacked their way through FFXIII is probably full of it since character growth was capped by story progression in that game so there was no real grinding and the boss encounters were tuned to where you would be at that point.

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Always steal from bosses, in every game.

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

voltron lion force posted:

You can use the Enemy: HP=100% gambit for random enemies. Put it on the leader and they'll get one chance to steal before the rest of the party cleans up.

I just waited to attack until he had successfully stolen.

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Zeality also apparently watched his referrers like a hawk because I once posted a link to some random blathering article on Chrono Compendium in my livejournal and he came and commented on it.

(I want to say this was in 2006)

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Francois Kofko posted:

Is it possible to buy the DLC on PC or something because my PS3 has no net til next week

Ad hoc your PC and your PS3 and share your PC's internet connection?

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Man those low res static backgrounds look extremely weird with shiny high res (although low polygon count) characters.

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

It doesn't matter if you're earning XP because character growth is gated.

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

I was going to say, does it have to be a one on one conversation? Otherwise 4 has several significant interactions between Rosa and young Rydia, but the nature of the game is that the entire party is present for pretty much everything. If the requirement is that both women be adults, maybe not because adult Rydia doesn't contribute much after she joins other than to be the object of Edge's proto-Edgar creepery.

Dross fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Oct 5, 2012

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

And what's wrong with that? :colbert:

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Seemenaked posted:

I think jrpgs are dead.

Do you own a handheld console?

edit: or, for that matter, do you conflate "JRPG" with "game published by Square Enix"? I made that mistake for quite a while since they were the de facto kings of the business when I was a kid.

If you specifically want random encounters and a 16/32-bit era battle system and you want them with current-gen graphics, then Lost Odyssey might be up your alley. Otherwise there are tons and I mean TONS of worthwhile games on the DS and to a slightly lesser extent the PSP.

Dross fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Oct 16, 2012

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Azran posted:

Nah, the GBA remake.
I guess I chose poorly - I don't think there is any other game in the franchise as grindy as this one. :v:

VI is, if only because you screw yourself on stats if you level up with the wrong Espers equipped, but you need to have Espers equipped to learn spells, so what my OCD rear end has to do is go to the Veldt (in the WoB) or the Cultists' Tower (in the WoR) and fight hundreds upon hundreds of battles until all of my characters know every spell available to me, and then run around with Bismarck/Zona Seeker/Raiden/Valigarmanda equipped, swapping around every couple of levels so everyone ends up with about 100 magic and strength at level 99.

It's not like this kind of play is necessary to complete the game, although it IS necessary to raise up 12 characters four at a time. Unless you're like me and you raise four characters to 99 with >100 magic/strength and then cheese the last dungeon by having two of them in two of your parties and no-encounter Mog in the third.

Edit: Is this basically the catch-all JRPG thread now?

I am trying to get into current-gen games. I'm trying to decide which Xbox 360 games are worth playing. I own Last Remnant, Infinite Undiscovery, Enchanted Arms, Nier, Blue Dragon, and Lost Odyssey and I can't decide which one to play in between Borderlands 2 DLC releases. I also plan to pick up Eternal Sonata and Resonance of Fate if I can find cheap used copies (my roommate is the manager of a used game store).

Dross fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Oct 20, 2012

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

I really thought the PSP version was worth playing.

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

On your list, you're missing Tales of Vesperia, which is in my opinion the best JRPG on the 360, and both FF13 games which you probably know enough about anyway if you're posting in this thread, and Magna Carta 2 which I dunno if it's good or not. Oh and Star Ocean 4 but that game is terrible, don't get it.

Yeah I've already finished the two FFXIII games (I usually play main series FF games as soon as they're released).

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Wendell posted:

I do wish no one had made 3D games for the DS. Did we learn nothing from the PS1?

Yeah, we learned that they sell like loving MAD.

I can't tell if you're being deliberately obtuse.

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Playing a main series FF game without using buffs and debuffs is really like an extra challenge. Even most bosses are vulnerable to something or other. FFXIII and XIII-2 played this straight by forcing you to debuff many bosses especially if you wanted five stars.

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Momomo posted:

I really wouldn't say that at all. A turn wasting a buff that probably won't work is a turn you could've just smacked them. There are some extreme examples, but the question is why you'd ever try using every buff on every boss.

Because landing Stop or Petrify on a boss is pretty gratifying and will save you a lot of grief. When I was a kid I played without using buffs/debuffs and I felt like the games were much harder.

That one turn you spent casting Stop instead of doing damage saves you five turns you would have spent healing instead of doing damage. The encounters are designed to encourage experimentation.

Dross fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Oct 21, 2012

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Well part of the problem is that when a company makes a game with a system that feels like the great RPGs of the 90s, everybody calls it dated.

What defines a really good JRPG these days?

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

XIII-2 is superior only in gameplay, the story is a boring mess and the characters are somehow even less likeable than XIII's. Serah is entirely one-dimensional.

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Debuffs are invaluable in boss battles in both games, especially Poison.

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Mega64 posted:

you can speed things up by constantly switching between two of the same Paradigm

Really? How does that work?

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Well, poo poo. Wish I'd known that while playing the games.

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Spermando posted:

Seeing V rank so high makes me wonder why IV gets all the attention.

In America, I'd say that it's because IV and VI are more nostalgic to American audiences because they came out earlier here. Plus personally I have beaten FFV three times and I literally have no recollection of Bartz's personality at all.

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Fight Club Sandwich posted:

If you want your battles to go faster, you manually cast lightning with your ravager (elemental weaknesses all being the same) because the spell is noticeably faster due to lightning bolts being faster than whatever projectiles the other spells sendout.

The animation doesn't depend on the previous spell ending first though, you can have more than one projectile in the air. Lightning deals its damage more quickly after casting, but doesn't affect overall fight duration, I'd think.

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

If you've leveled Serah right she should be spending as little time as possible as a Commando anyway.

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Twelve by Pies posted:

This kind of defeats the purpose of having a lot of playable characters when they permanently lose chances to increase their stats.

It's a choice for the player which characters to use. You're not expected or intended to use them all.

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

I think of it as basically an ability to customize your active team, independent of plot, much like a western RPG in which you would make your own characters. They'll say the same things (filtered through the--admittedly grating--accent maker) and the main story events are the same regardless of who is in your party, but if you want to have a little blue spaceman, a sentient flower, and a baby dragon, you can.

It's a design decision I wouldn't have made, but it's not as awful as you guys are making it out to be, and I think CC would be well-regarded in its own right if no one had been frothing at the mouth for CT2.

Dross fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Jan 14, 2013

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

I wouldn't have missed anything if the game's roster had just been Serge/Lynx, Kid, Nikki, Fargo, Karsh, Zappa, Radius, and Harle. Most everyone else is superfluous as far as the main story arc and would have served just fine as NPCs.

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Zombies' Downfall posted:

Keep Fargo and Zappa as NPCs

Can't. You have to introduce them to their alternate selves to advance the plot.

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

LOCUST FART HELL posted:

I think I read once that FF6 isn't nearly as highly regarded in Japan as it is in the west, FF4 is the top dog over there. Hence why FF4 has received sequels, multiple remakes and ports to everything, while FF6 has only had a GBA enhanced-port.

In 2006 Famitsu readers voted as the best games of all time:

1. FF X
2. FF VII
6. FF IV
8. FF III
15. FF V
22. FF VIII
24. FF IX
25. FF VI
32. FF X-2
60. FF II
63. FF
84. FF Tactics

Yes, you read that right. Their readership thinks all other FF games are better than Tactics, that 3 is better than 5, 8, 9, and 6, and that 6 is worse than all but the worst.

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

True, tactical RPGs were much, MUCH more common in Japan than the West until FFT made them kosher over here. Just on the SNES, you had Ogre Battle, Tactics Ogre, Bahamut Lagoon, Energy Breaker, FEDA, three Fire Emblem games, Front Mission, Der Langrisser, Monstania, two Majin Tensei games, Little Master, Dragon Knight 4, Dragon's Earth, and two Farland Saga games. In the US, you had Ogre Battle.

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

You guys realize those endless ports and rereleases usually aren't developed in-house, right?

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Speak for yourself, by the time I was done with FFX every one of my characters had a weapon with Break Damage Limit, One MP Cost, Triple Overdrive, and Evade & Counter, and an armor with Break HP Limit, Auto Haste, Auto Phoenix, and HP +30%. Then I erased the entire sphere grid and everyone had 255 in all base stats, 999 MP, and 68K HP base.

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Mordaedil posted:

I've wanted an action-RPG based on the class-system from FFV with the ability to change classes on the fly and equip sub-abilities for some time, but that'd be almost like a dream project that'd be extremely unlikely to see today.

Is this not basically what FFXI is? (minus the on-the-fly class change)

edit: nevermind, battle is menu-driven (barring shortcut keys which aren't really the same thing as press button get action)

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

YggiDee posted:

They made it, and called it Final Fantasy X-2, but everyone complained anyway.

Menu driven battle system != ARPG.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

I don't like having so many options that I can't reliably decide which one is going to be fun enough to compel me to continue playing the game.

The same applies to having a huge backlog of games and not being able to decide which one to play.