Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ShadeofDante
Feb 17, 2007

speaking of minds! know what's on mine? murders.
I think the whole "defying fate" still is a major theme in XIII, but it wasn't the whole party that was able to do it.

At the end of the game, you destroyed Orphan, and Cocoon is falling, like Barty wanted. SO in the end, he wins right? No, Fang and Vanille stop Cocoon from crashing into Pulse so bam, they defied fate.

Winks posted:

The intent of the Pulse fal'cie is never really fleshed out beyond the two sides hate each other. The original intent of the Pulse fal'cie was to destroy Cocoon, but after losing the War of Transgression humans on pulse didn't have a sustainable population and died off. If their focus was simply to destroy Cocoon, they would have turned to crystal after killing Orphan and been destroyed with the rest of Cocoon.

I'm not going to disagree that it's poorly explained, but I think that at least the focus part is pretty clear.

Pretty sure in the Datalog they talk about the fact the Pulse fal'cie are fighting Cocoon because they didn't agree with Cocoon fal'cie's brilliant idea of how to call God back into the world (massacring the humans) or something similar to that.

Regardless, the execution of XIII's story is at best poo poo, and at worst incomprehensible. It really had some great ideas/themes but it executed every single one of them in the worst way possible.

ShadeofDante fucked around with this message at 17:22 on May 22, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShadeofDante
Feb 17, 2007

fount of knowledge posted:

I'm gonna go out and say what a lot of people are thinking: I liked the ultimate weapon challenges in Final Fantasy X. Yes, chocobo racing. Yes, butterflies too. gently caress YES, Blitzball.

I earned each and every one of those sigils, and in return I was given holy-poo poo-awesome weapons of destructive power. As it should be. :colbert:

Lightning dodging.

Everything else I can see the appeal or challenge. There is nothing rewarding about dodging 100 lightning bolts in a row. And I know there's going to be an achievement for that in the inevitable HD port of the game. :sigh:

ShadeofDante
Feb 17, 2007

Just signed up for this. Looks to be a lot of fun, and I haven't played FFV in years.

When they say you use #up to update, what exactly are you updating? Just general progress through the game?

ShadeofDante
Feb 17, 2007

Gaseous Snake posted:

I just beat XIII-2 and from what I heard the ending was pretty dark. I mean right now it's playing the song and it looks like everything's going to be a-okay

Edit: Oh poo poo

Edit2: Oh gently caress this isn't good.

I love how this is the exact thought process I went through during the ending.

I also haven't kept up with the DLC side of XIII-2 for a while. Went to look at all the possible DLC and it added up to roughly $45! :suicide:

Seriously, for all the stuff this game did right, who the gently caress paid nearly double for all the DLC which from what I hear didn't add much to the game itself~

ShadeofDante
Feb 17, 2007

Got Blue Mage myself... I hope my luck continues. Forgot how powerful Blue magic is in this game.

ShadeofDante
Feb 17, 2007

Breezed through Garula and the game so far.

Water class
Berserker.

:suicide:

ShadeofDante
Feb 17, 2007

So I'm running Blue/Beserker/Beast/??? so far.

I've never, not even ONCE touched Beastmaster. Any advice? Things to do/don't do?

ShadeofDante
Feb 17, 2007

I somehow stumbled upon the Doom Axe and it carried my Besrserker well into World 2.

Until that drat unread dragon mountain. This area was easily the biggest hiccup in time for my run. I'm 12 hours in currently and about to go see the Turtle Sage.

As a side note, this is making this game fun all over again.

ShadeofDante
Feb 17, 2007

A friend of mine is trying to get through the Pyramid right now but has classes Dancer, Geomancer, White Mage, Mystic Knight. Is there a way outside of hoping Gaia will kill both at once to make the fight possible for winning?

ShadeofDante
Feb 17, 2007

Well I hit the final wall.

My team of Blue/Berserk/Beast/Dragoon went relatively smoothly through the Void, skipped Necromorph because gently caress that, and then got my face stomped in hard by Neo Exdeath. His first form wasn't even a challenge, just able to keep everyone healed with White Wind while my Berserker/Dragoon do good damage.

But Ahgrest or whatever that move Neo Exdeath does... there's no real way to prepare for that outside of grinding isn't there? I'm sitting at L37 on everyone and felt that would've been fine for completing the challenge. :sigh:

ShadeofDante
Feb 17, 2007

Thanks to everyone for the obvious advice I forgot. Mighty Guard makes the last battle a struggle but overall a joke.

Butz supremacy. :smug:

This was a blast. The only real struggles I had were fighting Omniscient and NeoExdeath at the very end. Will be definitely doing hard mode next year.

I looked at what was required for Shinryu and Omega and kinda think the only real strategy I can use on those two would be 'grind to a high level and buy really specific gear/rings'. So I doubt I'll be doing that.

On a side note, don't use VBA on the Wii. It was definitely playable but oh so choppy.

ShadeofDante
Feb 17, 2007

So after winning using a Beastmaster for the first time I'm curious, does Berserk (status ailment) cause special weapons to proc abilities more often? The fire whip went from activating Firaga every four turns or so to working every time, on top of the whip itself hitting for nearly the same damage as the spell.

Basically what I'm saying is Beastmaster owns and should show up in any future job based FF game.

ShadeofDante
Feb 17, 2007

Himuro posted:

Play X-2.

I'm actually in the middle of an X playthrough, and was planning on hopping on X-2 because I 1)can't remember anything about X-2 other than not Tidus and not Yuna or something 2) I hardly used any of the dress spheres and I'm really craving another good job FF game.

ShadeofDante
Feb 17, 2007

:aaaaa:

And I learn something new for my next playthrough...

As far as trying to fight Shinryu or Omega, Shin is the easier of the two right? What general tips could someone give on how to tackle them? I know I could just level up to 60-70 to just plow through them but is there any strategy to beating them at lower levels?

ShadeofDante
Feb 17, 2007

Sex_Ferguson posted:

So I've 100% FFXIII-2, pretty much. I've acquired all of the fragments, got both ultimate weapons, and got the secret endings. Is the DLC worth it? I mean, the extra bosses of XIII-2 appealed to me because I enjoy the battle system enough to want harder fights to put my mind into it more, but after Yomi and the extra Caius fights everything else feels a bit climactic and I want something more challenging. Also, Serendipity sort of soured me on mini-games in general so that's a part in hoping the Sazh DLC is good too.

Will the extra coliseum fights and Sazh DLC be worth investing my money in or should I just wait and hope XIII-3 is more challenging?

Most of the extra coliseum fights are more difficult than any of the bosses in the game. Lightning/Amodor aren't too difficult, but everything else has some pretty insane difficulty.

In particular Ultros/Chupon and Gilgamesh I hear are the most difficult. No clue on the Snow DLC fight though.

ShadeofDante
Feb 17, 2007

The only FF game I felt had Blue Magic as an actually useful class for the amount of hassle you need to get the spells was FFV. Seriously, after my FJF run this year, I have a new found appreciation for Blue Magic in V. It basically can do everything that White/Black can do (other than the ultimate spells) and for less MP or in the case of Mighty Guard/White Wind, better than the alternatives.

ShadeofDante
Feb 17, 2007

I seriously am hoping for a FFXIII-3 announcement in the next few hours or so.

But knowing how much I actually enjoyed 2 and given SE's track record, 3 will end up being a Japanese only novel or something.

ShadeofDante
Feb 17, 2007

So... Lightning is similar to Cloud because... Nomura can't design new clothings for his characters?

I'm not really sure how I feel about this LIGHTNING RETURNS crap. During that reveal presentation, lines like "The black and white colors of this world represent darkness and light." just screamed :hurr: I guess I was pleasantly surprised by XIII-2 going in blind so maybe I'll try the same thing here? Also, it sounds like I need to get the DLC if I want to see how Lightning RETURNS hundreds of year later in a completely different area we haven't seen yet or whatever is going on.

ShadeofDante
Feb 17, 2007

Started replaying IX because of others doing so in this thread. I got through Evil Forest, stealing from all the bosses. Holy poo poo this gets you items early on. Too bad it takes upwards of ten tries to successfully steal most of the time.

Still love this game though. Only really played it once at launch, so I don't really remember a whole lot about it other than I enjoyed it.

ShadeofDante
Feb 17, 2007

Francois Kofko posted:

You think stealing gives you mad items, just wait til you get to The Best Minigame.

Oh I loved Chocobo Hot & Cold. I never fought Ozma though, which is my goal this time through.

ShadeofDante
Feb 17, 2007

Bongo Bill posted:

The trend for that began even in the late-SNES days with a bunch of more off-beat titles which mostly never made it out of Japan, like Bahamut Lagoon, Live A Live, Treasure of the Rudras....

You're missing Seiken Densetsu 3 (Secret of Mana... 2?) which instead we got... Evermore. Evermore is an okay game, but compared to what we would have got, it's just depressing.

FFIX is a lot more fun than I remember. I'm at Lindblum now and drat does that city feel alive. I'm trying to decide on a party involving characters I hardly touched the first time I played it. I'm guessing Zidane (he's mandatory right?), Freya, Quina, and... Eiko? Maybe Vivi? My standard team of Zidane, Steiner, Dagger, and Amarant got me through the game pretty smooth last time.

ShadeofDante
Feb 17, 2007

As far as FFIX chat goes I just completed disc 1, and I still maintain that Chocobo hot and cold is one of the best mini games on the franchise. You don't need to even touch it but if you do you get so many more items, and useful ones at that. Not to mention powering up Choco as you learn new abilities is so :3:

Also, for whoever said Gizmaluke is too difficult, just literally make sure you make The Ogre for Zidane at the synthesis shop. He will do stupid amounts of damage at this point in the game solo, let alone your other party members.

The only real negatives so far are the obvious "battles move way too loving slow", and buffs are worthless unless an item gives you it, because I swear protect and shell only last two turns. Unless the duration is based on the caster, in which case Quina makes Mighty Guard horrible in this game.

ShadeofDante
Feb 17, 2007

X and XIII-2 are two of my favorite soundtracks currently, but that's because I was a horrible loser and listened to I-IX on loop through high school. Even the arguably "worst" game in the series (II) still has a few memorable songs in it.

X had the right balance of awesome themes and chill background themes. Someday The Dream Will End is one of the most memorable themes, just the haunting melody and the fact is the only thing that plays including during battles kinda hits hard at the finality of the game. (Funny that XIII tried the same thing with Oerba and Dust to Dust or whatever that song was called and kinda succeeded)

But seriously, Besaid Island's theme in X is one of the best relaxing songs in the series. Could listen to that poo poo for hours.

ShadeofDante
Feb 17, 2007

Stoat posted:

Chrono Trigger / Cross and Final Fantasy are all good and well, but the best RPG soundtrack of the last few years is NieR's. This is a good example although the entire thing is solid.

Don't listen to this person, this is actually the worst song in the soundtrack because you'll hear it for half of the game while you're out in fields.

The soundtrack is great overall, but that song just... grates on me due to hearing it constantly.

ShadeofDante
Feb 17, 2007

CarpiliusCoralinus posted:

Have you guys heard the battle themes from Dimensions because you should hear the battle themes from Dimensions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8cFQaGksuHg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PaW9wJwO1_0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UDsg4fHA4ZY

It's like they took all the battle themes from other FF games and tried cramming them together to make it full of "nostalgia". :allears:

ShadeofDante
Feb 17, 2007

I still remember the first time beating Cecil's trial and getting him to become a Paladin. That poo poo will stick with me forever, something so... trivial now felt so amazing as a kid, like I completed something amazing.

Granted I also used to die constantly to Scarmiglione because on FF2 as a kid I never figured out he was weak to Fire as undead or some poo poo. I really don't know how I thought that game was difficult.

Now FFIV DS on the other hand is entirely too difficult. I appreciate challenge but I got to the Lunar Surface on the DS and gave up because having random encounters that can wipe you in 2 hits happening every four steps or so sucks.

ShadeofDante
Feb 17, 2007

kater posted:

So all of FFXIII-TWO's DLC is on sale, is that stuff worth paying money for? I haven't actually played it yet but I liked the first game's brand of glittery nonsense so much I doubt I'll mind whatever problems people freaked out over.

Depends what you want really. Sazh adds a new card game and an easy way to get tokens for Serendipity, but all of them don't seem to add a whole lot of actual story/content. From what I hear the rest add some tough battles and no real depth to the characters that you couldn't get from the main game.

But get the Gilgamesh fight for nothing else but the boss music. So good.

ShadeofDante
Feb 17, 2007

So I'm getting around to playing The After Years finally on the complete PSP collection, and it's... not as bad as I expected? I mean, it's not great by any means but at least the new sprites in the PSP package at least all look really well done and unified.

Although Interlude was the most :effort: thing I've seen put out by SE recently.

ShadeofDante
Feb 17, 2007

Pureauthor posted:

I hear in Japanese his name 'The Darkness of Eternity' so I guess he's more of a conceptual thing like Death itself or whatever.

Which sounds like a throwback to FFIII's final boss, both in name and in terms of "strange powerful evil that appears out of nowhere to challenge the party".

ShadeofDante
Feb 17, 2007

Krad posted:

So, I'm playing FFXIII-2 for the first time and I just got through chapter 4. Now, my question is: who the hell thought it'd be a good idea to copy Chrono Cross' plot? :psyduck:

Chrono Cross WISHES it had a plot like XIII-2. :smug:

But seriously, I enjoyed XIII-2 a hell of a lot more than I did with CC. Maybe because the plot doesn't take itself as seriously until the very end when some horrible hosed up poo poo happens. I mean, I still have to respect SE for killing off the main character and basically admitting "welp, despite your efforts you've still failed." Kinda refreshing in a genre where HAPPY END seems to be the norm.

ShadeofDante
Feb 17, 2007

I'm actually blown away by the fact I never thought twice about the XIII Cid CGI scenes. Like, at that point in the game when Cid is the new Space Pope or whatever I kinda just went along for the ride and stopped questioning things I guess.

That really IS the epitome of horrible direction for the XIII project. And I guess that's more telling about the entire development process for that matter too. :v:

ShadeofDante
Feb 17, 2007

Armor-Piercing posted:

For a good chunk of the game you can hit this cap just by not avoiding enemies as you progress through each area, too. Then you beat the boss and get a small chunk of points to spend on the newly unlocked sections. There's no point in grinding until towards the end of the game.

This isn't really true at all. If you find an early farmable spot (Hope's House for example has infinite respawning enemies in an easy loop that you can just mash Auto-Battle and win) you'll have a ton of CP. Yeah you get capped each Chapter/section but then you're always ahead of the curve so when it opens up, you can instantly cap again, and so on. Basically, it puts you pretty far ahead when the whole thing unlocks towards the end of the game/post-game.

ShadeofDante
Feb 17, 2007

Hit or miss Clitoris posted:

I'm replaying Final Fantasy VII, and I just found out that you can do the Fort Condor battle more than once. Turns out that playing the game as an adult and actually trying at that mini game, it is really fun. So I downloaded the demo for Crystal Defenders after someone told me it is very similar to it. Turns out they were exageratting, but I still thought the first map was kinda fun. I'm thinking of downloading it, but after looking it up on the Final Fantasy Wikia that every different version of it is vaguely different. Has anyone played this thing? Is it worth buying, and what is the definitive version? I have a PS3 and Wii and was leaning towards the PS3 version.

As others have said, skip it. I 100% cleared it on XBLA but it was not fun at the end. Sure, in the beginning it was fun experimenting with strategies, but by the time you're on A2 and A3 your strategies become the same on every stage and it just becomes a slog.

Also is Dimensions ever coming to Android over in the states or will it just one day appear on here long after I've cared about playing it?

ShadeofDante
Feb 17, 2007

I'm chiming in to say I loved X (probably my favorite of the series?) and enjoyed XIII-2. I didn't really hate X-2 or XIII but neither wowed me the way the former two did.

I do think that X is overall the best of the bunch though. Seems hard to argue with it considering the characters were pretty much universally more interesting than XIII's cast.

ShadeofDante
Feb 17, 2007

Spermando posted:

Tacky as gently caress, but still better than whatever the hell she was wearing last time we saw her.

It's almost endearing to see Nomura struggle to find outside influences, by which I mean he just looks at games that are popular and takes... quarter styles? Half styles? I don't even know what the gently caress is going on with her arms here.

ShadeofDante
Feb 17, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

Blinded By Light is one of the best battle themes the series has had, sorry. Even if I hated the rest of FFXIII's soundtrack, that one is by and above one of my favorite FF songs ever.

And to continue the tradition I still feel like Paradigm Shift is another really catchy main battle theme in XIII-2.
Actually Last Hunter is pretty drat good too once it gets to the violin section.

Personally I think the more electronic inspired tracks from XIII-2 are more catchy than XIII's OST but I understand that it's also a pretty big departure for the series in terms of musical direction too.

ShadeofDante
Feb 17, 2007

I'm actually really surprised by how much I'm enjoying Dimensions. I thought it'd be something I'd pick up and play for a bit in short bursts but I ended up playing about three hours straight after buying it. Story/Characters are pretty meh so far but the battle/job system is a blast.

ShadeofDante
Feb 17, 2007

I really don't see why people hate auto-battle. For non boss fights it makes pointless grinding into a non-issue. You'd be mashing "Attack" ad naseum anyway to get to the boss battles in any other FF game.

Oh, and I forget, apparently setting your teams up, timing your paradigm shifts, switching paradigms at the right times is "brainless mashing attack". :confused:

XIII has a lot of flaws but the battle system really isn't any of them.

ShadeofDante
Feb 17, 2007

Hearing all this XI talk makes me really wish I could have got into that game more in the past. It's really the only FF game I have no intention of ever trying again which is a shame since the story sounds ridiculous (and awesome).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShadeofDante
Feb 17, 2007

Armor-Piercing posted:

With people asking about FF3 lately, would there be any interest in doing a four job fiesta like what is done regularly with FF5? Because I would seriously entertain the idea of playing through the PSP or DS version with a Scholar and Evoker in my party, especially if it would convince more people to try the remake.

From everything I've heard about III, it just sounds like it'd be a more frustrating/grind filled fiesta. V is really something special, showing that you can beat the game with almost any team.