Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Great Big Bee!
Mar 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer
The name Valiant Saga sounds like a nod to Vagrant Story, which was also set in Ivalice.

EDIT: Hell the logo is almost exactly the same too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Great Big Bee!
Mar 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Well they did rebrand Agito-XIII, so it's not like there isn't precedent, and the reception for XIII was lukewarm enough that it might damage a game that is essentially entirely separate from it. Still, the video is pretty sketchy. I would like to see a Wii-U release though, it'd be one explanation for what they've been doing for all this time.

A Great Big Bee!
Mar 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I got Knight for my first job! I've only beaten FFV once before but this will be fun I think.

A Great Big Bee!
Mar 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Knight/Time Mage/Beastmaster/???

Hooray!

A Great Big Bee!
Mar 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Dr Pepper posted:

Gaia is actually a really handy skill to have.

Yeah, it's a great support ability for mages as it deals magic damage for no cost.

A Great Big Bee!
Mar 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer
My final team is Knight/Time Mage/Beastmaster/Dancer. Could have been worse I suppose!

A Great Big Bee!
Mar 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer
If a new FFVI game were to be made I want it to be a midquel set during the one year between the end of the world and Celes coming out of her coma. It'd be a classic side-scrolling beat-em-up starring Sabin following his adventures as he wrestles things in the post-apocalyptic wasteland. Maybe he hunts down the phantom train to finish it off, conveniently explaining its absence in the WoR.

A Great Big Bee! fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Jul 25, 2012

A Great Big Bee!
Mar 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Mister Roboto posted:

They're both like 1000 years old, at that point you hardly care.

Abstract embodiments given human form, so pretty much, yeah.

Also, from what I remember of Dissidia, they hate each other. ExDeath thinks her concept of the void is wrong or something, which is pretty stupid as she lives there and therefore would know better. She doesn't give a poo poo about anything and just wants everything destroyed. It's the perfect odd couple!

A Great Big Bee!
Mar 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Electromax posted:

I'd be sort of shocked if they announce an FF6 remake/sequel via a website announcement and not a trade show or something with more than 3 days' warning. Seems like that's one of the most beloved of the series with 4 and 7, so they would call as much attention to such an effort as they could. My money would be on a port or something. Which would be sort of unexciting, even with new features like GBA had.

That said, won't complain if they make a FF6-2 or something. They can't un-make the fun of the original, so why not give players a shot at revisiting the world in a new way?

I think I read once that FF6 isn't nearly as highly regarded in Japan as it is in the west, FF4 is the top dog over there. Hence why FF4 has received sequels, multiple remakes and ports to everything, while FF6 has only had a GBA enhanced-port.

A Great Big Bee!
Mar 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer
FF6 dressup game. Dress your favourite FF6 characters up as a black mage, fighter, and more!

A Great Big Bee!
Mar 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

"20 classic unlockable jobs"
"an in-game shop will offer 35 premium characters from a number of FF titles"

Hope you're willing to pay for the fact that they made a cloud sprite

Didn't they already have sprites of FF7 and FF8 characters from the PSX port of FF6?

A Great Big Bee!
Mar 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Can we divide this up? For normal battles Blinded by Light (I prefer the Dissidia version personally), for normal bosses the FF8 boss theme, for special boss theme Fight with Seymour, and for final boss theme Dancing Mad. And for theme that plays as the battle and field music while something important is happening, You Are Not Alone.

A Great Big Bee!
Mar 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Changed my mind. :colbert:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MC0hV3dea9g

A Great Big Bee!
Mar 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer

The White Dragon posted:

This would have the fun side effect of dreaming that you're Squall while driving back to Deling City and Laguna telling Kiros and Ward how dreamt that he was his son, and that his son was going to be a horrible shitbag.

And then Julia comes on to him and he's like "uh

no thanks" and runs out of the hotel room.

Yeah but Laguna's such a nice guy that he'd put it down to Squall having a bad week or something then nail Julia.

A Great Big Bee!
Mar 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Mazed posted:

And you'd be right. :buddy:

Though the real answer is, there's no best. Really looking forward to seeing what they do with all of these on the remastered version of the game.

So, they released a soundtrack for FFXIV 1.0 (the old and otherwise crappy version of the game) called "Before Meteor", with the majority of it being Uematsu, but they seriously need to do one with the new music they've added in A Realm Reborn, because it's fantastic. I can never stop gushing about how worthy everything in XIV:ARR is of the Final Fantasy name, far and beyond much of which has been put out in the past decade, and the music is no exception. In particular, I like this one, which has a flavor similar to Uematsu's Lost Odyssey work.

Sadly, they've been pretty adamant about taking down tracks posted to YouTube, so these links will probably be dead soon. But, we've got things like this area music, this other area music, this city music, and this unique boss music, complete with screamy vocals, and this other very notable boss music.

Steel Reason from FFXIV:ARR has really shot high into my favourite special boss themes list (video is some dude in a mask playing over the electric guitar bit).

A Great Big Bee!
Mar 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Al Baron posted:

Eh, just throw the extra vowel anyway.

No, you see it's all part of the upgrade. Before they were esper, now they're espier. In the remake they'll be espiest.

A Great Big Bee! fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Jan 15, 2014

A Great Big Bee!
Mar 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Evil Fluffy posted:

so in Bravely Default are you # of attacks tied to both class level and actual level? Going through the demo and at level 12 a new ninja character hits 3x (per hand) at most.

FF13's battle system evolved out from Last Remnant's.

I'm pretty sure (but not 100% certain) that your job level determines the maximum number of attacks you do, so at job level 5 you do 5 attacks, 10 you do 10, and so forth. Bear in mind that some of these attacks can miss so you may do fewer, depending on your accuracy.

A Great Big Bee!
Mar 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer
FFVIII - A ragtag team of give-'em-hell freelance commandos free an empire from a swole Sorceress. Also, a subplot involves the son of one of the man characters overcoming his crippling social disabilities to ask a girl out.

A Great Big Bee!
Mar 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Does anyone have any tips for Final Fantasy X-2 HD (International)? I've never played it before but I've heard that you can gently caress yourself over pretty badly, and that it's not worth trying to 100% it. Is there any stuff that's easily missed and are there ways to break the game?

A Great Big Bee!
Mar 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I find some of FFX's music doesn't stand up to repeat listens or is more atmospheric than a good tune. The standard battle theme is awful, and the only really good boss themes are Otherworld and Fight With Seymour. The best tracks are the field ones, Zanarkand, Fleeting Dream and Mt. Gagazet are all great and in fact get played on the BBC's classical music station.

A Great Big Bee!
Mar 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Tae posted:

get the gently caress out

it sounds like the type of battle theme a high school orchestra would come up with

A Great Big Bee!
Mar 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Am I crazy, or does your party leader's luck stat have an influence on how often your song gets picked in versus mode? I was playing with Yuffie as my party leader, and I seemed to get it four times out of five. It could just be coincidence, but her naturally high luck set me to wondering.

A Great Big Bee!
Mar 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer
If I come up against someone using Zack online, I choose The Price of Freedom as my next song in the hope I'll make them cry.

A Great Big Bee!
Mar 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Rudicron posted:

It's not just that, the long leg also has zipper teeth. At minimum, he's lost the middle section of the left leg, and the bottom section of the right.

drat Tidus, take better care of your clothes.

That said in Dissidia the short leg was torn off I think.

A Great Big Bee!
Mar 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer
FFXIV is the only MMO that I've played to the endgame because it's so remarkably good. I play it on and off, stopped during 2.3 and will probably pick it up again for a couple of months when the expansion comes out. It has the sheer richness you'd hope for from a mainline Final Fantasy, as well as an incredible localisation. And as mentioned, the music rocks too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vhr2mLhmdR4

It has very well thought out controller support and a scaleable UI so I can relax and play on my TV.

A Great Big Bee!
Mar 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer

MonsieurChoc posted:

She's the best character in the game (from a mechanical standpoint).

I mean, you could argue Aeristhsthstrh is better, but well, you know.

yuffie is also the best character in the game from every other standpoint

A Great Big Bee!
Mar 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer

HD DAD posted:

The thing about VII is that, ignoring everything else, it has an excellent sense of atmosphere. People remember the big events like Aerith and Meteor, but it's the tiny touches that make the game. Like the ever-so-slow fade in inside the train after the first bombing mission, Anxious Heart playing in the background, while everyone sulks. It's really cool how cinematic they tried to make the game with what limitations they had. My only concern is that they somehow can't replicate that sense of...whatever it is the original gave off.

it really nails the sense of imminent catastrophe that summoning of meteor causes, and all the different responses to it. imo the only game that outdoes it is persona 3 in the final acts

A Great Big Bee!
Mar 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Box of Bunnies posted:

Fran and Balthier own

no they don't, they just seem like they do because they're in the same game as vaan and penelo

A Great Big Bee!
Mar 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer

gesundheit

A Great Big Bee!
Mar 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Excels posted:

this isn't true

also bobman if you download a save file of Dissidia 1 it puts all of the original cast at Lv100

it comes with the original dissidia story mode updated with all the features of duodecim so there isn't really a point in buying the original

A Great Big Bee!
Mar 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer

In Training posted:

That subset is the increasing rare breed of "gamers with a heart". God bless

more like gamers who eat farts

A Great Big Bee!
Mar 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer

ApplesandOranges posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2oVAGsOpQKI

Shantotto gets a move where she grows huge. Also she's creepy looking in 3D.

is the growing huge thing a reference to her crossover FATE in XIV or is there a precedent in XI of her going gigantic

A Great Big Bee!
Mar 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer
i heard there were some people talking poo poo about my wife, tifa

A Great Big Bee!
Mar 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer
hello here is one of my fave songs from ff7 that doesn't get a lot of mentions, listen and chill

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2_5zD7rhwPo

A Great Big Bee!
Mar 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Gologle posted:

Y'know how Sephiroth is not actually Jenova's kid, but Lucrecia's son mixed with Hojo spunk and has the egg injected with Jenova cells? Angeal had that happen to him, but Genesis was some other guy that later had the cells of Angeal's mom, who in turn was injected with Jenova cells, injected into him in the fetus. This fucks him up, I guess because it isn't straight from Jenova like Sephiroth and Angeal's birth was????? Anyway, eventually Genesis' DNA starts breaking down and he goes crazy trying to live, leading a revolution against Shinra and Sephiroth in particular, because like basically the whole world, he idolized Sephiroth but after learning that Sephiroth was basically perfect and Genesis was a failed experiment he hated him. Angeal, the first holder of the Buster Sword, is Genesis' best buddy forever and Zack's mentor and he defects with Genesis out of loyalty. Because Angeal went through the same process that made Sephy he's also perfect, but his blood won't mix with Genesis to stop his DNA from getting destroyed because ??????? So instead Angeal can make cool monster copies of himself, which you fight for a lot of the first half of Crisis Core until you kill Angeal. After that, which itself happens after you kick Genesis' rear end and knock him down a pit like Star Wars in a clear mirror of the fight with Sephiroth in FFVII's Nibelheim flashback, Genesis disappears off the face of the earth, later coming back in a retcon of the Nibelheim incident to introduce Sephy to his origins and to beg Sephy to give him some of his blood because Genesis is still breaking down. Sephiroth, having completely snapped by this time, refuses, and Genesis goes to die in a cave. Zack accidentally finds him in his hometown (I think he was led there by the last Angeal clone, but idk), and fights him because HONOR, PRIDE AS A SOLDIER, BLAAAAAHHH, and the final battle of Crisis Core is a clear parallel to the final battle with Sephiroth, except not taking place in the Lifestream, just some dank cavern in the middle of nowhere. Anyway, Genesis gets fixed by the Lifestream, specifically the personification of the Lifestream Minerva, who you can fight as a superboss and own with 50 some Costly Punches, as long as you have Break Damage Limit and a ton of money, because apparently the LOVELESS poem has some deep significance, idk? and he sits down to take a nap under a tree, but Deepground, the people from Dirge of Cerberus, kidnaps him and something something ????????

That's Genesis.

:yeah:

A Great Big Bee!
Mar 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Instant Grat posted:

imo you should check out the last paragraph in that screenshot

when you see it, you'll poo poo bricks

A Great Big Bee!
Mar 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer
thanks to the square enix exec who stole my thoughts and ported 6 and 9, the best final fantasies, to the pc

i mean you hosed up the 6 port but the thought was there

A Great Big Bee!
Mar 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer

corn in the bible posted:

ramza's opponent in dissidia should be marche

it should be that kid with the pizza blade and the clovers and the billion accessories, because i want to see how that translates to 3d

A Great Big Bee!
Mar 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer
my opinions on disney princess and final fantasy classes are thorough. please look forward to my thoroughly researched pdf detailing my decisions

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Great Big Bee!
Mar 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer
trying out the demo now, and having carbuncle communicate via texts and emojis is a pretty cool idea that will also likely enrage old people for no good reason