Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

FFX-2 was really hard the first time I played it because I didn't do a single optional mission. I didn't realize "Hot!" meant a place was story related, I thought the other places were empty. By the end I could barely do the random encounters and every bossfight turned into me having to summon the limit break dressphere things. Rikku's could debuff defense while buffing attack I think so after stacking both of those to max she could do decent damage, and when she died I'd switch to Yunas. I entirely missed Paine's. I missed a lot of the good jobs doing this, my party was SEVERELY underleveled, and I had crap equipment so I couldn't make up for it. I actually had to make use of Chaining outside of the limit breaks because my damage was really bad without it.

That's absolutely exactly what I did, same special dresspheres too. I ended up having to grind a while in the final area to get past the final boss. Hmm, I never did get round to replaying it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

Eggie posted:

Final Fantasy Network claims that Takehiro Ando (the producer of Square-Enix's mobile/social gaming division) said that Square-Enix will be shifting away from social gaming.

A NeoGAF member translated one of Ando's posts from a Famitsu App:

I like the part where Knights of the Crystals was a new development in the world of social gaming and not a clone of Mafia Wars or any one of a dozen other pre-existing Zynga games.

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

I don't think I'll ever forget checking up on something for the LP and discovering they'd translated the deeply complex 'haa, haa, haa' as 'wah. wah. wah.' making the heavily-breathing character seem like she was crying for no reason at all.

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

Evil Fluffy posted:

Does it get any better after your first encounter with those phantom things? I pretty much punched a hole in my wall due to the bullshit of that first (multiple wave) encounter and how completely loving cheesy the enemies were in combat and got rid of the game. Thankfully it was rented through gamefly so I hadn't actually wasted money buying it.

That's like two-thirds or more of the way through the game so no, it doesn't change significantly after that point. Though you don't even see those enemies again for quite a while anyway.

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

pandaK posted:

I distinctly remember getting that Protect Ring 10 years ago when I first played the game :psyduck:

Well, all they say is 'nobody's have written about this sidequest on the internet before' which isn't exactly 'nobody's ever done it'. I hadn't heard it was in the Ultimania all along before, it'd surprise me if this is literally the first time someone translated that page.

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

Dragonatrix posted:

Yep. It also completely wrecks Natus and Flux, because the HP threshold for attack changes doesn't trigger from poison damage, so they never actually become possible threats. :v:

That was how I even got past Flux, I was totally stuck (aside from a bunch of grinding, I guess) and looked up a guide, and that was the first thing it said to do.

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

DACK FAYDEN posted:

I will bury your everything. Your tombstone will read "Your everything."

Anyone have the screenshot of that line? I honestly thought it was photoshopped the first time I saw it.

Some of those fine WA2 translations

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

Occupation posted:

God loving drat that lightning dlc was hard as balls

I just played that today, considering the Sentinel role is pretty much invincibility Ravager is the only mode he can hurt you in if you're paying attention. Now, I just have to do better than 20 minutes...

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

Instant Grat posted:

You get points towards levels even if you lose - the whole thing is easily beatable at level 5/6, since by that point you don't really need to use Knight for his Ravager phase.

Yeah, I found that out when I didn't block his 25k damage attack at level 1 and got 14 points out of it. But yeah, I just need to summon up the energy to give it another run through.

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

Occupation posted:

You have to five star the first fight to access the second, which is where the dlcs difficulty shines

Ah, right, I assumed there was something hidden behind 5 stars, but I was hoping it was a reward. Looking forward to it already.

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

ApplesandOranges posted:

It seems to be pretty rare and stops appearing after a certain point, which is sad because it is gold.

Wasn't there a thing where all those quotes stop happening after a certain point in the game? Did they fix that? (assuming it was unintentional, I forget)

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

Torquemadras posted:

Also gently caress you, SE, for putting a huge-rear end cutscene before a boss with an unannounced one-hit party kill move.

More like two huge-rear end cutscenes, if you didn't go back out to the save point after she gives you the big 'choose your guardian' speech on the stairs.

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

Rei_ posted:

those huge accordion-looking robot fuckers in Taejin's Tower where if you aren't keeping the thing silenced/pained he'll just continuously call in more reinforcements.

It literally didn't occur to me that that would be a 'spell', I just focussed on killing him while attempting to not be killed by the Hoplites or whatever. It's not like they spawn in infinitely, there's only 3 or maybe 4 of them at any given moment.

Rei_ posted:

Like did everyone else just spend the entire game in tricasting? It felt like the game goes to great lengths starting with Chapter 11 to have you buffing and debuffing a lot.

I didn't step outside of COM and RAV if I didn't have to, yeah, didn't feel worth the effort. Maybe I was "overlevelled" for chapters 12/13 because I did a bunch of Cie'th stone missions before moving on.

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

Himuro posted:

For reference, this is virtually the only Japanese version footage of FF8 on youtube. :qq: Even searching for Final Fantasy VIII Japanese gameplay renders me with a search suggestion of Final Fantasy XIII Japanese version instead. Whyyyyyyyy?! :negative: I'll have to try niconico instead.

http://www.nicovideo.jp/mylist/36217893 is recent and pretty complete, just as a quick recommendation

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

The iPad version is explicitly named "for iPad" so I imagine you have to buy the iPhone version if you really want to play it on there.

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

Szurumbur posted:

Regarding Lightning Returns, I know that running out of time triggers NG+, but does everything carry over? Garbs, stats, items etc.? My very slowly going first playthrough is mostly to goof around and maybe complete the game, but I'm counting on NG+ for being powered up and know my way around the game.

I also know that Sidequests you had already done give you lesser rewards on NG+, but are they marked as already done, or do you have to remember them? Also, how do they work in regards to completion/Platinum? Do you have to complete the number of sidequests eventually, or in one playthrough?

Yeah, basically everything carries over except for quest completion and key items. All main quests and sidequests reset to incomplete. I don't think any of the trophies require you to do all of the sidequests, though you're going to need to do most of them in the same playthrough to unlock the extra day.

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

Final Fantasy IX Comes to PC and Smartphones!

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

I guess they're on at least some of the original assets, because some of them are looking a bit rough now they're perfectly emulator-sharp.

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

There's a few things which drop powerful attacks occasionally that you need, or at least are better off with, Sentinel, but it's not common.

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

Mr. Fortitude posted:

Hell, I've seen it in LPs of what is generally considered to be good games where the LPer points out some flaws but still clearly enjoys the game yet the thread act like the game is the worst piece of poo poo to ever exist because of these flaws and nobody should check the game out for themselves. And then there's the LPs where the LPer has a negative opinion on a game that's generally considered good and thinks the game sucks and then everyone in the thread flocks to that opinion like sheep (like the Bayonetta 2 LP).

She didn't think it was bad either, though?

quote:

I think Bayonetta 2 is a pretty good game, but by no means does it surpass its predecessor.

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

Die Sexmonster! posted:

I’m alright with forgetting the PSX ports

The loading times on these weren't nearly as bad I was expecting considering how much people talk about it. Chrono Trigger though, that was as bad as I was expecting.

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

Elentor posted:

Unless you really like breaking a game apart like I and very few other people do, testing every single stat is neither meaningful gameplay nor meaningful use of time.

This is the real reason I use Nihalaoparsthfrchtf remedies in FF12, it's not that I hate casting individual debuffs but it's a waste of time going through them one at a time to find out which ones (might) work.

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

EvilTaytoMan posted:

Also imagine getting stuck on say the Yunalesca fight and having to rewatch the same 10 minute cutscene every time you lose.

After the second time I lost I remembered to back out of the room where she talks to you for 5 minutes and then leaves to the nearest save point so I didn't have to watch both of those cutscenes again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

The White Dragon posted:

the achievement page also perplexingly takes up 1mb when the game save itself only uses like 72kb

Getting ahead of the achievements curve again, it also included a low-res monochrome screenshot of the moment you got it (in a small rectangular radius around the player)

e: it probably wasn't much lower res than the game itself actually, but the monochrome makes it look worse

Polsy fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Jan 28, 2019