Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

I'm gonna go out and say what a lot of people are thinking: I liked the ultimate weapon challenges in Final Fantasy X. Yes, chocobo racing. Yes, butterflies too. gently caress YES, Blitzball.

I earned each and every one of those sigils, and in return I was given holy-poo poo-awesome weapons of destructive power. As it should be. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

Schwartzcough posted:

Yes. :colbert: I've beaten FFT using only a single class for all four characters, and done so for most of the classes.

That's fine, and nobody's arguing that there is fun in that. I think his point was, would you tell a first-time Final Fantasy Tactics player to do it?

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

This Jacket Is Me posted:

They're just flimsy and one dimensional and not really interesting. The most compelling non-mainline story in the game is, what? Rikku's relation to Yuna? Lulu's childhood love? Khimari's, something? I dunno, they all kinda suck and I can't even fully remember them despite FF10 being my second best FF.

That leaves the mainline story to do all the work, and luckily it's a really good mainline story.

FF10 is sort of the exact opposite of FF13 when it comes to mainline/sides story focus. FF13's mainline is crap but it's character stories work really well, while FF10's character stories suck but it's mainline story makes up for it.

Wakka's character arc was pretty decent (or maybe I just remember it better than it was. v:v:v ).

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

I feel it's worth pointing out that at least part of the appeal of the story of FFXI is that it consists of events that surround your avatar player, the one you spend hours controlling, exploring with, and leveling up. If you don't have that pre-existing connection to the world, it loses some of its impact, I think.

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

I think by far my least favorite thing about Final Fantasy XI was equipment macros. Suddenly it's not enough to have just one set of equipment to be competent, but you need to quest/buy/craft several different pieces, just so you can switch between them IN-BATTLE for every ability. As a Black Mage, I remember having different sets for EVERY elemental spell, plus one for enfeebling magic and another for Dark magic.

Honestly I'm glad you can't change out equipment during battles in FFXIV.

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

So you guys have been going on about Berserkers in FFV for a while now, but I can't be the only one who's wondering (because I haven't played FFV)

What is so bad about berserkers?

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

I guess I'm just used to every Final Fantasy from VI -> XII, since "unit that automatically and singularly uses "Attack"" would be an entirely viable way to clear those games. :v:

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

Trasson posted:

The Saga of the Knight and Three Berserkers: Update the First

I'm rooting for you, man. There can't be too many people unlucky cursed special enough to roll up three berserkers, Risk or no. Here's hoping you can take it all the way.

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

Mill Village posted:

^^^^^^That's an interesting setup as well, but Black Magic seems so good that I feel like I need a Black Mage, or is that overkill?

I'm only 6 hours in, so its not that big of a deal if I start over. I think I'm going to go with this setup:

Vaan- Monk (Potential White Magic, Expose, and being able to hit flying enemies)
Balthier- Machinist (Item augments, Time Magic from Famfrit)
Fran- Black Mage
Basch- Knight
Ashe- Samurai
Penelo- White Mage

Why do you suggest Machinist over Hunter? Is it just because of the item augments?

Your job selection is not so big a deal that I'd suggest replaying 6-hours for something more "ideal". Your characters will all be more than competent enough.

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

Dissidia had this to say: "The weapon collecting, dimension hopping, self-proclaimed "legendary swordsman." Although possessing the body of a fiend, he holds a strong sense of loyalty and compassion."

I think his FF XII appearance was the best yet.

I can honestly say that as fun as Final Fantasy XII-International was, the Gilgamesh fight was probably the highlight of the entire game for me.

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

Harlock posted:

I want a whole game focused around Blue Magic as the battle mechanic. Make it so you can only remember so many enemy attacks or something.

Final Fantasy XI has Blue Mages that work something like that. Each skill is worth some amount of "points", and you can only equip so many points up to a cap that rises with your level(?).

Mind you, this information may be a few years out of date, and as I never played BLU, could be wrong entirely. But it seems familiar.

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

rodbeard posted:

I personally loved every final fantasy soundtrack except for FFX. I thought the voice acting was so bad I just muted my TV and listened to something else instead. Kid A by Radiohead will always be the soundtrack to FFX in my mind.

What does the voice acting have to do with the soundtrack? 90% of the music in that game plays while nobody's talking.

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

Idioteque Dance posted:

One thing I can really imagine wanting for the next game is having an interconnected and cohesive world with expansive environments, such as FFXII or Xenoblade, but with an old school FF world map feel to it between the various locales (thinking anything FFI - IX), but instead of being a freakish giant, you're at a more realistic scale and there's that vivid green grass, rivers, looming huge mountains and oceans around you, and all the features we know about including kickass music you never get bored of, even years later. You know, mixing old with new. I can't help but think of Xenoblade's Gaur Plains as an example, and to a lesser extent, Dragon's Dogma (I've only seen videos though, so may be off there).

Talk about pie in the sky though :smith:

Both of the MMORPGs fit this criteria. :c00lbutt:

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

^^ The main guy who pushed for stuff like that at the creative-level has been ousted, and replaced with someone actually competent. Who exactly is left for people to rage at over lovely things from launch that aren't around anymore?

You guys are also forgetting the obvious, in that 14 continues the 11 tradition of being Final Fantasy as gently caress. From moogles to chocobos, from white mages to dragoons, the game is full of many of the series' staples, and the general aesthetic was one of the biggest draws for me.

Too bad it took until a few months ago to actual come into its own as a decent game. :v: The new 2.0 relaunch looks very promising, though.

a crisp refreshing Moxie fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Sep 12, 2012

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

Trasson, the fact that you didn't get a callout in this year's image is a travesty.

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

You can work around the delay, though. When you're hovering over an action, press right on the dpad. You'll see a list of who's about to get their turn, and where your attack falls in line with that. Just make sure they aren't going to move out of range and BLAMMO. Otherwise, the AI has a nasty habit of making sure the spell you targeted them with will hit as many of your party members as possible.

Which is actually really funny, because with some playthroughs it feels like the only way I'm able to beat Dorter without grinding is turning my characters into jihad-style fire-bombs on the enemy.

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

Please tell me you suplexed the train.

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

Dr Pepper posted:

It's amazing how it still is a pretty great game then. :colbert:

If I found out that a group put out a trainer or patch that fixed some of TLR's "issues", I would run out and obtain a copy this very instant.

As it is, all the annoying poo poo eventually built up enough to put me off of finishing the game, which is a shame, because it really felt like it had the potential to be amazing.

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

Pasteurized Milk posted:

I'd say that by the end, he is the leader.

Pretty much as soon as the party goes off their "intended" path, he's the one leading the way.

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

The White Dragon posted:

It certainly is a stupidly long dungeon, but at least I didn't bother with it until I was at a sufficiently high level. At that point, there was no attrition left to be had and it was just "jeez I really hope I don't get another random encounter before I find the path to the next room."

I don't remember it sourly. I just remember it being really boring, and the high encounter rate didn't help that at all.

I thought this way, until THREE hours in without a save point, I get randomly ambushed by a group of monsters who proceed to use a Bad Breath-style attack, confusing all my guys (As well as other statuses? It's been a while, I don't remember). Next thing I know I'm staring at the Game Over screen without ever having pressed a button that entire fight.

I haven't turned the game back on since.

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

Azure_Horizon posted:

It's weird, because I used to like the card game too until I found out just how you're supposed to play and manipulate it and realized it was just as much RNG bullshit as FFIX's card game.

No card game, fictional or real, has ever been as much RNG bullshit as FFIX's card game.

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

Would The Last Remnant count as a JRPG? I just got it in the Steam bundle and though I played it once before at a friend's house, I never really got too far into it.

Basically what I'm asking is, is it worth a playthrough? Alternatively, anything must-know before I take the plunge?

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

Holy poo poo, he really did eat him.

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

Mega64 posted:

When it comes to their recent 2D releases, SE somehow manages to make things even uglier in most instances. Hell, look at Dimensions. At least the PSP version has a distinct look, even if it's a bit unsettling. But then I've never played the PSP version, so maybe the graphics work better on an actual handheld.

I played Dimensions on an Ipad and I thought it looked fine. For some reason, the early screenshots made it look much shittier than it actually does in action. v:shobon:v

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

Kyrosiris posted:

Granted, that only works on a PSP with CFW.

If you don't have one and you're trying to play WOTL you can...

Blame yourself or God. :smugdog:

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

Scher posted:

All this advice for FF3 makes me think that playing the NES version would have been a lot less frustrating. I figured a remake would have been a bit less archaic, but apparently they decided that they needed to make everything more "balanced".

I'm finally going to the water crystal dungeon, but ugh, this game. The fire crystal boss was stupid and I don't understand why bosses get to attack twice in one turn. Having a boss breath fire on my group and then kill my mage with a physical attack afterwards, despite him being at full health at the beginning of the turn, isn't challenging. It's just plain frustrating.

I can't speak for the NES version, but FF3DS is just flat-out a Bad Game. I don't even remember having fun for most of it (Mini Dungeon, ugh), and you can easily lose hours of progress in the last dungeon simply as a result of bad luck and bad game design.

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

bef posted:

So i'm on my first playthrough of XII on the Zodiac edition and i'm really enjoying it (loving loooove turbo mode). I read some previous posts and people mentioned the fights get a bit harder especially sidebosses later on. Problem is, since its Zodiac and (I being a dumbass because I thought there would be more characters) have a permanent setup of Knight/Breaker/WM/BM/Machinist/Archer. I pretty much have no supporting spellcasters, am I hosed for the fights later on?

I like how every main story boss fight starts and ends with me using Quickening though.

You are absolutely fine, any buff that's worth it can be acquired in item form anyway.

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

That loving Sned posted:

8 is only easy if you understand the vastly different levelling system. Instead of killing enemies and levelling up, you want to absorb magic spells, and equip them to your stats. Enemies scale at a faster rate than you, so you want to gain as few levels as possible. Each character can be given a Guardian Force, which is a summon which also determines which stats can be boosted with magic, so you want to level those up instead.

I can't be the only kid who went through that game not giving a poo poo about the level scaling, right? As long as you junction decent magics to your stats (Triple Triad may have had a hand in this, I admit, but I never transmuted something I didn't have extras of anyway) you'll blow through enemies even if they're buffed by being level-boosted.

Even playing it completely straight (No No-encounters/running from every battle, no exploiting limit breaks, no transmuting character cards into super-powerful magics, etc.) I would call 8 pretty easy.

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

Endorph posted:

Actually Neku in general is basically Squall's character arc done competently.

Doesn't stop people bitching endlessly about playing as some "angsty emo anime kid".

For the record I agree entirely with your statement.

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

Really? I find a lot of the early fights tend to come down to the wire simply due to the limited job/gear selection and the fact that the game loves taking away one of your party slots in favor of Delita/Algus.

Then again, I have a strong aversion to using either of them (So they usually stay level 2), and once you unlock Monk the difficulty is all downhill from there.

a crisp refreshing Moxie fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Mar 5, 2013

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

Your wife won a $300 prize but decided to ask for a $50 one instead? :crossarms:

a crisp refreshing Moxie fucked around with this message at 07:10 on Mar 5, 2013

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

DACK FAYDEN posted:

I know they made everything easier and raised the cap to 99... did they also kill what little charm the game actually had?

I guess that depends on if you consider "play a melee class; idle in a city looking for a party for six hours", and "die on your way back from an exp party; lose several hours' worth of progress" to have been part of FFXI's "charm". If so then yes, the game definitely lost it. :v:

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

A lot of the Fire Emblems I've played also fall into that trap of including Orlandus in their game. The random stat allotment can mitigate that somewhat (or just as likely break the balance even more hilariously), but using certain characters *cough* practically breaks the game for you.

a crisp refreshing Moxie fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Mar 20, 2013

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

For some reason, Guy will almost immediately come to mind for me since he was the only swordmaster I've seen break 100% chance to crit without my even trying to do it. That being said, you guys are right that there are way better characters, and the fact that certain lords like Hector or Ike can clear entire maps by themselves proves the point way better than Guy.

vv I've played 6 too so I might be mixing Guy up with someone else, although really the difference between 94 and 100 crit is mostly academic.

a crisp refreshing Moxie fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Mar 20, 2013

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

As much as I love this news, I'm a little sad that now I can't recommend FF:Dimensions to any of my friends who ask, because why would I do that when I could suggest they play FFV instead? :v:

VVV A fair point, but if I didn't want to spend $40 and had to choose one or the other to play I know which one I'd be going with.

a crisp refreshing Moxie fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Mar 20, 2013

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

Krad posted:

Their second mistake was when they stopped making quirky japanese rpg's for consoles, you know, the product that differentiated them from other companies and what people in the west liked about them.

The problem is that the push for "AWESUM GRAFIX" on consoles hits JRPGs particularly hard, since they have to code massive sprawling games on those engines compared to something like FIFA or Forza. When SE sells millions of copies of a particular game and it's a financial loss, something is wrong in that equation. Trying to forgo that time and moneysink by cutting down on your graphics budget can be a huge gamble if people don't buy your final product.

It's really no surprise so many good JRPGs in the past decade have shifted to portables where their development is markedly cheaper.

Edit: Way beaten by OwlofCreamCheese. Guess that's what I get for browsing on an iPad.

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

I maintain that with the exception of a couple of badly thought out laws ("No harm x" laws in general can go gently caress themselves), I liked that laws forced me to alter my playstyle from map to map instead of relying on the same five overpowered techniques. Plus, there's always AntiLaws if you're feeling lazy.

FFTA2 definitely improved on the system, though.

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

SpazmasterX posted:

The people that made the game don't understand how to play it.

For all the love I have for Final Fantasy 9, the experience of going from Triple Triad to Tetra Master was heartbreaking.

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

DACK FAYDEN posted:

For those of you who don't know about this system, it's far more ridiculous than that. To get a perfect score, even before you started grinding, you had to make sure that each of your 100 cards had a different pattern of arrows on it!

Granted, there are 256 possible, including "no arrows" which did actually spawn on cards... but man.

Oh whoa, sudden memory. In my last playthrough of FF9, getting a zero-arrow card was precisely the thing that made me throw up my hands and go "gently caress this poo poo" to Tetra Master.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

Also it's entirely possible to get through the game mashing directional buttons and solely focusing on Neku. ESPECIALLY once you get Joshua.