Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Saoshyant posted:

I'm amused people used to consider FFVIII's plot a trainwreck to the point that the Squall is dead and Rinoa is Ultimecia theories had to be created to explain the plot. And yet, nothing can save FFXIII. :toot:

FFXIII's plot is fully explained poo poo and FFVIII is under-explained poo poo. Most people prefer to not know the full extent of how crappy the story is then to have it covered from every single angle. Actually I take that back slightly because with FFXIII I just assumed everything was explained because I sure as hell wasn't going to read their in game encyclopedia just to make sure I had every possible nuance down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

VagueRant posted:

On a lighter and more nostalgic note: does the theory that everyone's favourite FF game was their first hold true?

Nope because not only did I hate FFIV as a child it took me playing it on 4 different systems as an adult before I finally willed myself past the no metal items dungeon (via very, very heavy savestate abuse and fastforwarding).

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Renoistic posted:

It was a great game but sold like crap. I've heard they're making a mint selling the various soundtracks, though (I've bought most of them myself).

I think they're talking about Drakkengard not Nier which is pretty much the opposite in every sense. The soundtrack is on purpose discordant and repetitive noise.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Azure_Horizon posted:

Instead of hiring Matsuno, they should just hire whoever wrote IX (Sakaguchi only had a hand in the first few stages).

Am I alone in thinking FFIX's plot takes a swift and brutal nosedive once the other world plot elements become woven in? I couldn't stand anything that happened in that game plotwise after the other planet soul swapping shenanigans. Final area was really nice though.

They should just fire all their writers and replace it with the short story author who wrote the thousand years of dreams for Lost Odyssey.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Mazed posted:

Well now. :aaa: That UI shows some promise. I may actually have to bother reading over the full breadth of changes, as I honestly would like to enjoy an FF in MMO-form if they can actually get their poo poo together. If they did allow for solo-style gameplay, that'd also be great, but group-play would be acceptable if, and only if, the classes were all balanced enough to where you weren't obligated to be min/maxed in every possible way (loving FFXI classes...)

I see they're getting the Miqo'te men in; are they planning on letting you play female Roegadyn and Highlanders, as well? The latter in particular, if they're ripped and badass-looking as the males are, I'd roll in an instant.

Though if they still kept the Highlanders only to males, I suppose there'd be a certain amusing irony in having an FF MMO with a MANLY MAN ONLY race.

Unlike FFXI, in FFXIV you can solo rather well. Its nowhere near as fast as grouping with other people of course, but its not like FFXI where it was basically impossible. Female Roegadyn are coming with 2.0, and if you sign up before 2.0 launches you will get a free character redesign/server transfer when 2.0 goes live.

As for classes the current metagame is absurdly broken by Black Mages. An optimal party is Warrior/White Mage/4 Black Mages with maybe a bard or additional white mage. This isn't to say other classes aren't functional, its just that Black Mage is that completely broken.

Well, gladiator/paladin is broken because it can't do its job and it can't do anything else either. This is probably why the paladin gets the skill Spirits Within and the default FF character for the class in screenshots is Delita Heiral.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Azure_Horizon posted:

Yeah FFIX's encounter rate is about the same if not as bad as FFVII's or VIII's. VIII has an absolutely absurd encounter rate, which can be subverted with Enc-None, thankfully.

Except for that Deep Sea Research Center puzzle. gently caress that poo poo.

Take Zell out of your party.

Enc-None is the greatest ability in any FF game ever and its why FFVIII is the best. You can turn off all of the garbage in the game and focus on the series best feature; its coherent, well thought out, and emotionally touching card game.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Yar The Pirate posted:

So since there was some discussion of FFXIV, would it be recommended to pick the game up? I've only played about 9 months of WoW and had a great time grouping up but hated all the waiting around in LFG if I wasn't in a guild. I also tried out EVE Online but got bored of all the sitting around when all I wanted to do was blow up spaceships, run missions, and scam pubbies with 100 other basement dwellers. Granted I wasn't a part of SA at the time and I still don't think I have a high enough post count or the mental capacity to understand EVE enough to enjoy it and get in the Goonswarm anyway.

My summers are particularly less exciting than the rest of the year so I have some extra time I normally wouldn't have. Not to mention I imagine there will be a bit of a wait for me to play Planetside 2 so I'm looking for something to hold me over.

Here is the deal basically: The massive improvements to grouping (content search which will help auto-party you with people in your range) and about 60% of the content to do with that is coming in 2.0 which should launch septemberish.

That said, they are adding swaths of content to the game currently and will continue doing so to the release of 2.0. There are plenty of new goons on Sargantas who are starting all relatively recently and we're all more than happy to group up and do stuff. If you're interested the game+30 days free is 14 dollars direct download from SE and its occasionally on sale at amazon for about 8 bucks.

As far as actual gameplay goes, you level a lot faster than most other MMOs because you can switch classes/jobs at any time. They've added a lot of content intended to help you level faster and travel between places with relative ease. Due to jobs and classes having separate levels from each other unlike WoW or EVE a very large portion of unique content starts at level 30 out of 50.

Like FFXI, plot is fairly important to the game and with 2.0 the main questline, grand companies, and likely job questlines will be totally rewritten to reflect the coming cataclysm.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Mazed posted:

Is this an indication that there are story bits that any who play after 2.0 will never get to see, or are they at least leaving the 'important' bits in/giving it a polish?

As far as I can gleam from the letters from the current producer (who by the way is the reason FFXIV has become playable and looking to become a really good game and does an excellent job of listening, explaining his thoughts, and delivering on promises which every MMO needs to do) players post 2.0 will get the same story except their start point is post the impending cataclysm in the game. It will likely feature the same characters/main plots as the current storyline, it'll just be further along in the overarching tale.

For those of you curious about the Cataclysm thats impending, remember FFVII with meteor? The moon is about to slam into Eorzea the same way and there's no Aeris Gainsborough*.

*Aeris Gainsborough is, however, the screenshot name for Square Enix's White Mages.

Barudak fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Jun 10, 2012

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Gammatron 64 posted:

Basically, Hiromino Tanaka is like videogame cancer.

No joke, after 2.0 I'm totally ok with Naoki Yoshida being the producer of a single player game. The man seems to have a good grasp of what players find fun and how to put together a decent story. It doesn't hurt that he's also completely open about things that don't work and said on the record FFXIV was shamefully bad at launch.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Gammatron 64 posted:

(Oh yeah, I also played FFXI religiously for years.)

Sooner or later we all go back to our abuser.

<de-leveled>

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Gammatron 64 posted:

Horrendous FFXI poo poo

To add to this class balance was a joke and in a game where even using the best possible classes could still result in death which meant literal hours of grinding lost at higher levels this was horrible. For instance, for the majority of FFXI's lifespan if you played Dragoon you might as well have had leprosy and you were not getting a group invite, ever. Which meant you weren't leveling ever.

The game didn't have enemy levels, no no it was too good for that. You had to look at each enemy and the game would give you a text description of how tough the enemy looked. This was calculated off the difference between its level and your level (not your group level so good luck guessing there, rear end in a top hat), but the problem is even a 2-3 level variation in FFXI was enough to take a monster from beatable to death. On top of that, there was only about a 4 level swing in which you would gain XP. Good luck obsessively scanning each monster to find ones you can actually beat and receive XP from.

The game's system of subjobs meant that your primary job received all XP while your active subjob received none. Your subjob's maximum level was half of your main jobs current level. In a game where every absolute bit of strength had to be squeezed from the world you were constantly slingshotting between your main and your subjob so you got to see a lot of the same content over and over and over and over again. God help you if you chose a weak/unpopular class because nobody was going to help you with that poo poo.

Want to have subjobs, a main feature of the game? Well the quest unlocks at 18, but you sure as hell aren't getting it without a full group or solo at about 25 from a rare monster who doesn't always drop the item you need. Want to unlock the class you want to play as? Well the quest unlocks at 30 but the mobs are all 40-50. Don't have a group? Hey, go gently caress yourself.

Want to ride an airship? That'll be about 1 million gil in a game where 200k could buy really, really nice equipment. Don't have an airship pass? Hope you don't mind visiting the other cities ever. Start in a different city than your friends? Hope you don't mind not seeing them until the mid 30s when everyone relocates to Jueno. Want to teleport somewhere? Better pay the whitemage whatever he's asking for and pray to god he actually takes you where you want to go.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

jivjov posted:

Is there any good way to experience the story of FFXI without actually playing? Has anyone done a story-based Let's Play or something?

I don't think there is anybody crazy enough to sit through and level, record, and edit all of that content into a video or series of pictures. In addition to the main story-line which would with even a dedicated group take hours upon hours upon hours to do, each class has a unique storyline as well as other side-quests and activities.

Just take it from us that the Galka are probably one of the most depressing races of creature in FF lore and playing as one was depressing both story wise and mechanically.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Gammatron 64 posted:

It's surprising that I didn't like After Years given how much I love FF4, but I dunno... is it just me or does it feel a little slapped together a little haphazardly? Like, the sprites and menus are different resolutions and it looks bad.

After Years is terrible in plot and mechanics and it feels horribly, horribly slapped together. Assuming its cannon it also makes it so that everyone in FFVI died to the final boss of After Years and the final boss is terrible.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Gammatron 64 posted:

Wait, wait, wait. What? What?!

Also, since when are any numbered Final Fantasy games in the same universe?

The plot of the game is the big villain seeds worlds with crystals for evolution or something stupid and then comes back and harvests the crystals back and kills everybody on the planet. Given that he has the bosses from FFVI in his possession in associated crystals and the party doesn't get any information to the contrary the only assumption is that the villain has already returned to the planet of FFVI and killed everyone for evolution.

Evolution.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

voltron lion force posted:

I think most people in this thread will agree that while 13 and 8 have their issues they are both better than 2.

Final Fantasy II for the gameboy has rough edges but that's pretty harsh criticism for a game where you can eat monster parts to turn into different creatures and you kill the hindu heirarchy.

Oh you're talking about NES 2? Oh gently caress that then.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

DOUBLE CLICK HERE posted:

Guys, 8's pretty good. I liken it to 10: amazing mini-game, good graphics, fun to play, and has a terrible story. Oh poo poo, the thread title is true after all!

10 has the best Final Fantasy setting and some of the most poo poo-awful writing whenever Auron and Jecht aren't around. FFX supremacy.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

voltron lion force posted:

Problem with giving it pass because of age is that they made a perfectly good game right before it. 2 is awful in a lot of ways but mainly people hate it because of how much worse it was compared to 1. 8 and 13 at least had some redeeming qualities. I'm struggling to think of any for 2.

The main villain dies, goes to hell, and takes it over so he can come back as the final boss.

A final boss who is weak v toad.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

p.crestmont posted:

It is just different tastes; I loved XII and couldn't believe when I heard some people didn't. I was genuinely confused, like they couldn't have been playing the same game or something...

XII is terrible. The Zodiac version is actually very playable and fun. The difference is actually having all the drat gambits so I can just play the game instead of constantly checking shops and looking for gambits to do what I want.

It still doesn't solve how incredibly awful the late game dungeons are. Shame about that.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Looper posted:

Hey, speaking of XII! I just ordered it for the low, low price of $6.59 and wondered if there's anything I need to know before getting into it (the vanilla version). I've always been planning on checking it out, as a friend of mine really likes it and thought I would too, so pretty much the only things I know about it are the PC's awful design and the Matsuno-setting. Goons seem to have a somewhat mixed opinion about it, but it was so cheap I just couldn't resist. My favorite FFs are IX and Tactics, if that influences anything. Any info is greatly appreciated! :)

Walking restores MP and save points do to.

Quickenings should be aimed for ASAP for your main characters. Each quickening significantly increases your maximum MP gauge permanently but by purchasing the quickening on the license board you prevent any other character from buying it. Pick your favorite 3 and get them the easy ones.

Just look up the license board. There is no reason for the game to withhold that information from you and by being able to see the whole thing you'll be able to plan out your characters with far more ease.

Gambits are the game. Buy as many as you can always. Simple ones like heal when below x hp are good but setting up things like steal when enemy hp 100% or if not hasted haste are better.

Buffs are valuable as heck.

No character, despite what their starting gear tells you, is locked into a role. They can be anything and wield anything you want them to.

Look up hunts before doing them, the game gives you about zero inclination of how strong they will be and its very easy to think "oh this will be easy" and then get 2 shot.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Gammatron 64 posted:

When talking about crappy FF games, can we mention spinoffs? I wasn't a big fan of Crystal Chronicles. Gorgeous graphics and art design, but the gameplay was just kinda crappy and the game was boring. I'm sure it would probably be more fun multiplayer... but you had to have 4 GBAs and link cables to do it. And whenever I would suggest getting together and playing Crystal Chronicles with my friends, I got a resounding "gently caress no."

Its a great game except one of your friends doesn't get to play. See somebody has to hold a magic chalice that keeps you alive in dungeons and that person cannot do anything but move and hold the magic chalice. ASYMMETRICAL GAMEPLAY!

FF GB games were a lot of fun but good lord did they not care about gameplay balance or coherent stories.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Miracon posted:

Maybe I'm in the minority, but I really enjoyed the Great Crystal and the Pharos. Then again, I'm also biased because XII International is my favorite FF.

You are in the minority. Those were awful, awful dungeons that international can't fix.

Looper posted:

Is this something like the time-travel shenanigans with some of Chrono Trigger's chests? Will I know when to open them or should I just look it up later?

No. In fact thats why we're telling you. Its a "gently caress you buy a guide" moment that everyone bitched about. By not opening those chests you guarantee that a later chest will contain the Zodiac Spear which is a very, very good weapon and that chest is much, much earlier in the game than just about any other end game equipment.

If you don't do this, your chance of getting a Zodiac Spear is like 1/256 from a random chest in the middle of nowhere.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

LoudLoudNoise posted:

FFXII has some incredibly beautiful areas + art direction so enjoy the polish that the game has in that regard. Additionally, the game features good (and some great) characters but has a fairly uninspired plot. Don't think about things too hard and enjoy the gameplay. It's like solving a puzzle rather than 'It plays the game for you!'.

Yeah the "it plays the game for you" thing is silly since you can not only manually control everything but a lot of boss fights can be expedited significantly through proper gambit setup and planning which is the core of the gameplay. Which is why playing the vanilla version is terrible because you don't have all the gambits.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Azure_Horizon posted:

People made the same argument for FFXIII and it didn't seem to convince anyone. Both make it a lot more difficult to manually control than just using what the system provides. Unfortunately, XII can be tuned to where you don't have to press anything, whereas XIII at least requires Paradigm Shifting all the time.

I would have had zero problems with paradigm shifting if it had been automated. Instead, 90% of the battle functions are optimized and streamlined except one and its not exactly a thrill a minute to do. That and the game's stubborness towards letting you actually use that system for like 20 hours sours most people, myself included.

"Ok, you've seen paradigms but we won't let you make your own for another 3 hours. Also, we took the scissors away and replaced them with safety scissors"

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Lilli posted:

Well everyone knows FF VI is the best one. :smug:

Maybe if you play Awful Fantasy. Vanilla VI is kinda boring and frankly pretty glitchy.

Now let me tell you about Final Fantasy Legends III, the one where the plot is that all of existence is a gameshow and the final boss is the producer of your TV series which he is trying to cancel.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Lilli posted:

It's funny, that was actually the second game I played with Final Fantasy in the title. I had FF4 on the SNES as a kid and I enjoyed it enough that I ended up buying that because I thought it was another final fantasy game.

They got you the same way the got me minus the enjoy FF4 part.

Oh FF Legends 1, the only time travel game I've ever played where attempting to work with a child-like understanding of causality can cause a game breaking bug which destroys time.

Barudak fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Jun 14, 2012

Barudak
May 7, 2007

RagnarokAngel posted:

Is it even possible to find Awful Fantasy anymore? Links on the original comedy goldmine article seem to be broken.

There should be a separate hosting site that still has it available if you search that name. At least it did about a year ago when I last checked. If it doesn't exist I'm sure somebody else has the files laying around who has hosting, its like a 2 mb file tops.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Gammatron 64 posted:

Sometimes I consider picking up some FF games on iOS. But Goddamn, are they overpriced. $8.99 for FFI and II each, $15.99 for III and Tactics. I never did beat III or Tactics, and maybe I could always play them during downtime at work, but I have a hard time justifying $16 for an iPhone game.

Don't buy FF Tactics for the iOS unless you like the same crippling slowdown problems that plagued the PSP release.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

A built in way to cheat? Oh Square Enix you shouldn't have.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

golden posted:

This thread inspired me to go back to PSN and download the only FF8 that I have never played all the way through, Final Fantasy 8.

I COULD play the game the way the developers intended, but I've heard time and time again that this is one of the most broken FF games if you do it right. I ask you, what's the way to break this game?

Don't level. Learn the skill which turns enemies into cards instead of killing them thus 100% AP gains but 0% XP gains. The second you get he magic lamp use it to fight Diablos(?) and then master his enc-none power. You no longer have random battles and the game's difficulty is locked into place. Now you have two choices, play collectible card games forever or actually trudge through the story. I recommend the collectible card game option personally.

If you decide you want to play the game you can cheat the exams to max out your money making power by just looking up the answers. Buy some tents with your new found wealth and convert them into curagas and junction to health then head to the beach by the garden and draw 99 waters and equip to strength. You are now more than powerful enough to coast through the next 3 disks un-opposed.

Should you need more power play card games and convert cards into powerful magic. Should you wish to have fun just play the card game and gently caress off with the main quest until you want to battle new card players. Make sure to never agree to play with people's local rules so that you prevent their horrible spread.

Barudak fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Jun 21, 2012

Barudak
May 7, 2007

TurnipFritter posted:

What was so bad about XIV again? I don't play MMORPGs, but I hear all the time (well, whenever the game gets brought up) about how this is the worst ever.

Imagine you built an MMO that had to undergo massive changes in order to be fixed to be fun over the course of period of 4 or 5 years. Then you release a new one that has all the exact same mistakes as its predecessor but even less content and a massive hike in graphical requirements.

There is a reason that Tanaka leaving is nothing but a good move for Square Enix.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

Also, you can take solace in the fact that Red Mage is awfully underappreciated, and regularly gets told to stand back and keep casting Refresh. Or heal. I loved playing the job solo to sub to better jobs, but I'd never party as RDM.

But that was literally the point of RDM? It was the guaranteed group class next to WHM so underappreciated is not the right word. If you were doing anything but refresh as RDM and instead tried attacking you weren't doing your job and were actively making the party wipe due to the way TP worked.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

I don't disagree, I just think it's a waste of a class they could have done more with. Reread your description of RDM then read what they said the job was:

Hey, they never implied you were good with any of those things just that you could. Much like you could play dragoon but you wouldn't be able to do it with other human beings because they would be having a race to mash kick from party.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

The White Dragon posted:

From rumors I've only heard, everyone loves max-level Red Mages.

You must have played at the exact transition point between the first 4 years or so where RDM was a defacto necessary part of any party and the last few years where anybody can level to max in a week or two without a party. Sorry your experience was so terrible but on the plus side, you didn't play FFXI long so good for you.

That said the reason RDM was so highly prized was refresh which makes you regen MP and in any PVP scenario stun/quick cast. You see, quick cast let you cast anything as though it had no refresh time. Stun let you stun someone. Combine the two and you lock a person in place and kill them while they can do absolutely nothing to stop you.

Barudak fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Jun 26, 2012

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Minrad posted:

Hey, FFT:A2 question: If I didn't like the first game but generally enjoy SRPGs and collect-a-thons like Disgaea/FFT, is it possible to enjoy this one?

A friend told me it looks and plays a lot better than the first and said it was worth a try. The biggest thing that irked me about the first is that he said the laws system is a lot less strict. I'm not totally convinced but it does actually look better and I've been trying to scratch that RPG itch with a lot of games I've already played before and failing, so can anyone recommend it?

Oh yeah, and does it have missables or a 100% system or anything? I've grown to dislike following a walkthrough to get obscure poo poo but I still have trouble playing through a game knowing in the back of my head that I'm missing items and characters left and right.

Laws no longer give you penalties for breaking them, you just don't get bonus rewards at the end of the battle. Bonus rewards which are basically 100% useless and ignorable.

As for the missables absolutely, positutely never, ever ever sell crafting ingredients if you do not know they come from a repeatable mission. You'd think getting white yarn would be easy but nope, you get one. If you want to unlock the associated item and sold your one tough poo poo. You could consider a guide to look up item combinations for the in game item manufacturing system or you could just kill everything with no regard or fear and just unlock whatever you have at the time. There isn't anything that you 100% must get to win from the auction house and going at a natural, impulsive and random rate will get you everything you need.

Other than that the game is staggeringly breakable. Its not really an effort to set up a magic caster who hits full screen every turn for 50%-75% of enemy health with whatever elemental damage you'd prefer. Nor is it hard to build a character immune to all melee attacks who 100% counters them with two weapons each of which can one-shot people.

The game has a lot of side quests and post game content that is fun and engaging and there's even some neat little epilogue style story content too. The bizarre gambling mini-game you have to participate in to get more territories never really makes sense or becomes fun and ugh it sucks and thank god its 100% optional.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Pesky Splinter posted:

While I can't comment on the translation (though everything seemed okay), the actual writing itself was really really lovely. Even for the usual JRPG standards.

"Moms are tough"

and then my brain went to slurry until around hour 18 when I was in a sweet rear end tower and I didn't know why.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Gammatron 64 posted:

How are you supposed to know they had a summon you had to draw?

This one at least was pretty much "draw from every boss" which was a good strategy anyway since they tended to have tons of powerful magic. Plus its not like you could fail drawing either and you got to see exactly what they had so you would just pop open the draw list, see if you wanted anything, then move on.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Portfolio posted:

I'm looking to play FFXII for the first time, and I was wondering, is it worth tracking down the Zodiac Job System version? It sounds like a pretty comprehensive overhaul of the system, but in a good way. From my understanding, it sounds like it makes it less like FFVIII's blank slates and more like FFIII/V's more rigid approach, which sounds a lot more appealing to me. (Not that junctions were bad — jobs are just more... I dunno, classic FF, I guess.) As someone who has never played the original, is it worth playing as-is, or should I go straight for the Zodiac version?

BONUS QUESTION: I haven't played any of the other Ivalice games — not even the original FF Tactics. Is there a particular order they are best played in? From what I understand, the connections are mostly just that they happen to take place in the same universe than anything like recurring characters (wasn't Vagrant Story originally supposed to be completely unconnected to FF and then just sort of shoehorned in later in development?).

FURTHER BONUS QUESTION: ...which reminds me, which version of FF Tactics should I play, having never played it before? I've heard that the PSX's translation is awful, but the PSP remake has slowdown issues. However, I also read that there's a fan patch that fixes said slowdown completely. Is that the case? If so, should I play the PSP version for my first time?

1) Zodiac version gives you rigidly till the end of the game defined classes. This is an improvement in the sense that it makes characters have true roles but its a bit of a jerk move because you can't preview classes. Thankfully guides exist.

2) Zodiac gives you all the gambits to start with. This is a godsend and how the stupid game should hvae been made. Despite not particularly liking getting locked into classes I'd recommend Zodiac over vanilla for this reason alone.

3) Play the PSP version patched.

4) No, the Ivalice stories are all basically disconnected by huge, huge regions or by massive spans of time. Other than sharing some rough geography and races there is no real overlap to speak of.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

AngryCaterpillar posted:

Or just that it turned out to be too different from XIII? :confused:

I've never played one of those dice games but I've wondered it was possible to play any of the FF games on paper.

There are numerous attempts at this available online such as Zodiac or the Returner Final Fantasy RPG. None of them are regarded as particularly good or balanced much like the individual classes themselves of Final Fantasy. There is no official SE RPG which is just as well because if FFXIV or FFXI is any indication the source book would be printed on salted razorblades.

You can definitely make simulcras of FF games if you really wanted to sit down and grind out the math or just using other systems you can tell their storie. A big issue will be that FF games, unlike table top, have a reliance on trash mobs, guided stories, and can rely on the poor player stuck as berserker not getting bored and wandering off 5 minutes into the session.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

Beat Final Fantasy IV yesterday. Really liked it, everything pretty much holds up except for the prevalence of random encounters and ambushes/back attacks. That stuff got annoying. It was pretty easy to, even for a FF game. But I hear that I got that "easy" version, and the DS game is the real challenge.

I'm interesting in trying The After Years, but I also see there's this Interlude thing too. I don't think I have ever heard anyone talk about it before, what is it?

Interlude is an additional even more worthless playable section that links FFIV and After Years more tightly together. If you know anything about After Years you know this is a tremendously bad idea even outside of how poo poo the whole thing is to play through.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Safari Disco Lion posted:

Since I've never played it before, how should I build my characters in FFXII? I remember reading a few pages back that the stuff on GameFAQs was garbage. This is the regular version, not the International people are always talking about as I have no way of playing it. Also, is there any way to reverse the camera controls? They're really, really awkward for me.

If you're playing non-international look at the completely filled out grid so you know where you're going. Characters are good at everything so pick 3 characters of your choice and make them unto gods via the passive bonuses lie +x HP or +x strength. There is no reason to unlock licenses for equipment or spells you don't have yet, wait until you actually posses those things to unlock them. Additionally, a quickening adds an entire extra bars worth of MP to your characters so picking your favorite 3 characters and getting them their 2 quickenings ASAP is a godsend.