Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Its funny because thats not the bad part. Thats just the stupid, stupid part.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

p.crestmont posted:

Final Fantasies were actually Football and Racing games all along :shrug:

Makes sense, Cloud is just an overpaid star WR from a podunk little town who got cut from his team due to cap space and has gone a little bit nuts trying to get even despite still having strong feelings for his original coach.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Boten Anna posted:

I wonder what would happen if they used Unreal in a mainline FF game and focused their efforts mainly on making a good game instead of mainly on making some overblown piece of poo poo engine that can only render corridors that they try to shoehorn into an MMO :allears:

You'll get Chocobo Racing 2 and you will like it.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Hit or miss Clitoris posted:

I'm replaying Final Fantasy VII, and I just found out that you can do the Fort Condor battle more than once. Turns out that playing the game as an adult and actually trying at that mini game, it is really fun. So I downloaded the demo for Crystal Defenders after someone told me it is very similar to it. Turns out they were exageratting, but I still thought the first map was kinda fun. I'm thinking of downloading it, but after looking it up on the Final Fantasy Wikia that every different version of it is vaguely different. Has anyone played this thing? Is it worth buying, and what is the definitive version? I have a PS3 and Wii and was leaning towards the PS3 version.

Skip it. Its a tower defense game where despite promising a lot of variety there really isn't and you'll get bored by the gameplay after finishing the first map. Plus nothing like having no appreciable goals and every 20 wave gauntlet rewarding you with nothing but a "cleared" sign. Had the game stayed true to FFTA/Job system and customization it'd be a must buy but sadly, skip.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Raphus C posted:

I have seen a SE game on my Android, Chaos Rings, along with FF1 and FF3. Are these decent games and worth the purchase?

Chaos Rings is a complete push-over of a game where you can beat 90% of all battles with just slamming the attack button as hard as you can and where while it features 4 separate questlines you carry over stat-breaking equipment and repeat 100% of content while the story circles a drain that Star Trek would be ashamed to be involved with.

FF3 is still the updated version of FF3 aka the "gently caress you if you want to beat this" version. Not bad but be prepared for the game to destroy you and then make you lose an hour+ of progress.

FF1 is FF1 but slightly souped like the PSP version was. If you're nostalgic or never played it its not a horrible choice.

Edit: And I know its not Final Fantasy but you mentioned Chaos Rings so I'll mention the Chrono Trigger port that just dropped has had its resolution smeared and text-boxes redone by someone who apparently does not care. It does include the DS additions to the game which while extra content are tedious, pointless, and badly made.

Barudak fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Dec 5, 2012

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Twelve by Pies posted:

Okay, ignoring that Tactics is near the bottom and X is on the top, III over V? VIII over IX? I just don't get it. :psyduck:

Well in III you just upgrade jobs so you never have to think about things and VIII has the better cardgame over IX so QED.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

NikkolasKing posted:

Maybe a lot of Japanese women are the 'oh but I can change him!" types. Squall, Seifer and Laguna are all in desperate need of a woman to fix them.

Thank goodness its so easy with the Junction System.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

ConanThe3rd posted:

And by "Easy" you mean "Hopelessly complex and arbitrary"

Much like a real man. FFVIII: The Ultimate Dating Simulator.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

zerox147o posted:

Comes up in this thread every 50 pages or so, but Lost Odyssey was amazing.

The in game story is fairly bland and generic except the end of disc 1 and Seth but the thousand years of dreams were amazing. Coincidentally, one of these things were written by an actual writer and the other wasn't. You can read them all online and I think everyone should, especially the story of the mixed race couple.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

The White Dragon posted:

I hate myself for this, but then again, who doesn't like FF5 jobs? Is Dimensions worth the $20 they're selling it for? Time isn't really a factor, just basic enjoyment. Can I skip or speed through any dumb rear end story bits while rockin' the job classes? I've never actually played a phone game before, how are the controls?

I own it and I can safely say its... eh. If you want what feels like a B team Square product circa 1995 this is definitely it. The jobs are more limited than FF5 as you get 8 core jobs and then each of your two parties have 5 unique jobs. This means of course, that the dark party is for every role except white mage strictly better. Additionally, the game's plot does nothing with the two party conceit and characters are woefully underdeveloped and the whole story is 4 almost meaningless vignettes that just sort of turns into an endgame.

The actual real bad part though is that your level and job levels are separate but you have a limited number of job levels you can spend before post game content. What this results in is that you'll experience frustration when you find out that certain classes are nigh on useless or that you should have stopped leveling the class long ago as you got the last useful stuff out of it. There are abilities called "f-abilities" which are unlocked by having certain moves equipped on the same character from two classes and using the associated moves. Do it enough times and you get the f-ability which afterwords is permanently equipped on that party member regardless of job.

If you have certain f-abilities (great wall, hastega, phantom rush) and the class skills dual-cast and dual wield the already easy difficulty gets pushed off the highrope and hit with a chair while the ref looks the other way.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

ProfessorProf posted:

Got Dimensions the other day. Mirroring other people's comments on it - a fun SNES-style RPG romp if you ignore the story, which is easy to do.

How accurate is the word that I should be focusing each character on a single class, though? The rate that I'm getting JP far exceeds the rate that I'm gaining job levels, and it seems like it would make every class beyond the initial few you get useless, which sucks. I want a dragoon!

The only tried and true ones are the following. Firstly, somebody should be taking white mage from 0-20 in both parties. Everyone should take Red Mage to 3 ASAP though, as that gives you +20% HP which is invaluable until the end game. Ignore summoner its worthless as until end game you lack the other teams summons and by endgame you can poo poo out damage and healing that makes summoner cry with Seer/Arcanist. Don't bother with a black mage in your warriors of light party, they get access to neither the upgraded form nor the actual good endgame spells making them a bit of a waste.

The optimal progression for warriors of darkness is Monk 17, Dancer 20 as this gives you the f-ability Phantom Rush (Trance+Dropkick) aka I would like to win the game now. For warriors of light get a warrior to 15 and Paladin to 6(?) for the f-ability Mighty Wall (guard+battle cry) which gives the whole party shell, protect, and attack up. Bard 14+White Mage with haste nets you Hastega so consider bard a second career for your designated white mage.

You'll get more JP as you go but by end game you'll really only be able to have about 2 or 3 jobs totally mastered with some leeway for one or two others to 10. Higher levels in jobs really, really slows down the rate you get levels so as long as you're beelining a single class you'll stop outpacing your JP acquisition rate.

Barudak fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Jan 27, 2013

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Evil Fluffy posted:

Mastering Ranger gives a multi-attack that you'll get much faster than going monk/dancer, giving you more time to master ninja and other jobs (Phantom Rush is stronger though).

It does but it requires 2 slots to equip when you go through leveling other things and you should easily be about 10 levels into monk by the time you actually have access to ranger. Its less JP overall and in the long run F-Ability>Job ability

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Twelve by Pies posted:

Libra actually being useful is another thing most longtime FF players probably wouldn't expect as Libra traditionally only gives you HP/MP info, sometimes elemental weaknesses, but almost never status vulnerabilities. And that's not even counting the FF games where bosses are straight up "immune" to Libra.

Final Fantasy Dimensions is really bad about this as Libra tells you HP and elemental resistances/weaknesses if applicable. Except for boss fights where it will never tell you the HP so you'll only get to see what its resistances are but not status effects. Which for the vast majority of bosses especially in the endgame is none. So you waste a turn getting to see "HP: ????/????|No Weaknesses"

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Ross posted:

Kefka becomes a god in FF6 and you kill him.

You simultaneously kill yourself, your nemesis, and the creator of all human life in FFVII.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

What else would it be?

The most dangerous game.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Dr Pepper posted:

The main issue is that LP was very easy to get. So it was easy to fill out the entire licence board without any grinding at all.

Topped with it being the best way to get huge chunks of HP, Quickenings, and other base stat bonuses it's rather crazy not to heavily invest in similar license grid distributions.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

ProfessorProf posted:

The final dungeon was brutal, but the final boss was surprisingly easy. With proper use of secondary healing abilities (Chakra, Dualcast+Curative Strike, Restorative Pill, Alchemy), Sarah was often free to just spam Holy on it. It had a lot of HP, probably over 100k, and some very powerful attacks, but it didn't chain them together relentlessly the way some earlier bosses did. The impact of the whole sequence was lessened a bit due to how stupid it looked, and also how I still can't remember who the hell Elgo was.

Is there any ridiculous postgame content for me to tackle next, or is that about it?

Your spoiler character is the guy from the prologue with the heroes of light. I only remembered who he was because the characters make a big deal that they know him even if the reveal is non-sensical, has no dramatic impact, and comes like 5 seconds before the final boss fight therefore having no impact on the story.

All thats left to you in postgame content are 3 bosses who level up when beat them dropping Moogle Coins (yay), armor upgrades (eh?) and super weapons (why?). It feels like a preperatory section for some ridiculous endgame content that doesn't exist. In case you missed it you can go back for summons or fight the blade dancer or super squirrel. Its really odd the game ends where it does because you'll likely not even have mastered more than 2 or 3 jobs and there is nothing to do but grind if you want to get the rest of them for no reason.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Shaezerus posted:

Dancers are, uh. I'm not too sure how to make them a good option, all told. See all my griping about Thieves above, lower their physical stats even further with a reasonable boost to MP/INT/MND (better MP than Red Mages, in fact :psyduck:) and that's Dancer. Saber Dance might be useful? I don't even know.

The only reason to level Dancer is to get Phantom Rush. The hidden dances are ok but basically they're cure waltz spamming machine until you get Phantom Rush when they then go into the closet never to come out again.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Shaezerus posted:

Even then Phantom Rush is outdone by Dual Wield Spreadshot against a single target. I dunno...

Phantom Rush is nice because its an F-Ability, which is totally irrelevant for the most part because there is not a drat thing in the game challenging enough to require a setup different than ninja/ranger. Much like if you waste your time to fully power up Jobless you still have a worthless class and ran out of content about 6 Jobs ago.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Dross posted:

Okay seriously, does every single area in Final Fantasy Dimensions need a common enemy that blinds, poisons, and/or confuses people all the time? It's bad enough that I need to grind this much, can't you at least let it be mindless?

Not ever section. I found it was easiest to progress the story until you fight enemies that can't do that, grind on them, and then sprint past the next section of irritating encounters. In the First section of the final dungeon you have two themed towers. One is a horrible slog filled with dangerous and annoying foes who cast all sorts of elements on you and the other one is a walk in the park where you can grind on foes like no tomorrow with both giving roughly equivalent AP.

Reminds me: Dimensions 4 Fiends are terrible. And the 3 Ultra-Fiends are introduced so late and have so little character they might as well not exist. The fact you have to fight all of them 2 times each is another nail in the interesting boss design coffin.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Schwartzcough posted:

No, it still doesn't make sense, because he literally says "this always happens," indicating that he has choked and failed to shoot his target multiple times, making him the world's shittiest sniper.

Man, I hate the entire FF8 cast so much.

Maybe he's referring to the Kompressed timeline that is now looping quicker and quicker and knows that whenever he gets to this part of the timeline he can't bring himself to shoot. Maybe Irvine is the actual protagonist of FFVIII?

No, because thats stupider than the actual plot somehow.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Final Fantasy VIII's characterization makes FFVII's look Shakespearian in comparison

I don't remember the part in Shakespeare where it turns out the protagonist is an amalgamation of a space alien, a dead guy, and another dead guy.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Levantine posted:

I'm about to get started on Dimensions - any tips or suggestions starting out?

There is a grand total of 1 tough boss fight in the game. It is the chapter closer for when you get the Dancer. Do not ever use her to do anything, just keep passing her turn so that the second her special prompt is necessary you can do it. Failing to do so will result in a very, very fast party wipe unless you are supremely over leveled for that area.

You aren't going to earn enough JP in the maingame and there is no real incentive to do anything postgame to master more than 2 or 3 jobs. Therefore pick a specialty (physical attacks, magic) and stick with it for each character.

Everyone should take Red Mage to level 3, it gives you the single most useful job ability for 90% of the game.

Other than that the game is incredibly easy so using gamebreaking skills or set ups or whatever is totally meaningless.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

So I'm at the end of my most recent FF8 playthrough and I still don't understand what the gently caress is up with Griever at the end. Like, was it always the ultimate GF or does Squall's Imaginary Friend eventually become a real boy/GF in the future where Ultimacia is from?

I have an answer to all of your questions vis a vi Griever and the entire rest of the game's mess of a plot: Time Kompression.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Schwartzcough posted:

You see it's because Squall is dead so

If I had the power of Time Kompression I would use it to prevent "An Occurrence at Owl Creek Bridge" from ever being written.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Hopefully this means they release on US Android on time instead of an arbitrary 1 month delay.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Raphus C posted:

Do Apple have exclusivity clauses with these types of games? I would have thought that Android, being a mixed bag of system specs, would involve a little more work on behalf of SE, and I doubt SE want to spend even more $ rushing the port to android. Most people who care are going to buy the game, be it a week or a month later than the IOS version.

I want 4,5 & 6. I never played those games to the end and having them sooner would be nicer.

No no, its not something logical like that.

SE has a custom Android store in Japan. That store has a 1 month exclusivity world-wide despite the fact that in the US you can not use the SE Japan Android store and in Japan you can not get SE products via the the US google play store. So in effect, SE has an arbitrary 1 month delay for all android products after the launch in Japan.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Dross posted:

Take one character from each party (I suggest Alba and Dusk) and make them Red Mages as soon as you get the ability to have jobs, and do not change them until they master it, and then change them into something else and never make anyone a Red Mage ever again.

When post game comes your red-mage mastered character in the light party should become a Seer and your dark member should become a Magus. With this you rain death on the endgame foes. Without it you, uh, rain death on the endgame foes.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Fingers McLongDong posted:

Ok thanks, I've already had both mages get to lvl3 with red mage anyways so I'll make one continue to level it. Does a master red mage get doublecadt like in ff5? Having someone do doublecast -quick/meteor/meteor/meteor/meteor/meteor was hilarious by the end of ff5.

Yes, that is the level 20 reward for Red Mage. The game is really, really easy though so even without it you can ransack the final boss and most of the optional bosses. Dimensions really suffers from having no real post-game content to speak of and I'm honestly surprised they didn't add a whole new chapter of nothing but post-game stuff as an add on.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Great end game tip in Dimensions: set the three party members you are not using to white mage/seer and use them to heal your party after fights.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

MarsDragon posted:

I hate how this always happens to Red Mages, though it's kind of inevitable with having White/Black Mages as classes.

At least Red Mages get to have the best fashion sense out of all mages.

They added the spellblade series of powers to Red Mage in Dimensions and they aren't terrible but they come way, way too late to really care all that much about them.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Krad posted:

Possible. They were probably going to reveal it at the PS4 conference and then decided not to at the very last minute.

This sucks, though. I was not planning on getting a PS4 any time soon, but if Versus actually exists and comes out for it, well. So much for my money.

If it plays anything like most super-long delayed games play you'll probably want to hold off. I mean the last "gameplay" footage we saw is like a year+ old right?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Mr. Locke posted:

The only Final Fantasy I can think of where staying at high health was ever an issue would be early in the original versions of FF1.

You can buy high-potions and ethers like water in FF1 and in a game where you're not likely to have more than 500-600 HP by end game 150 HP of healing is really, really good. Not to mention in a lot of late game dungeons you can coast by just spamming healing helm over and over on your mages for free party wide 60ish HP. Granted, gently caress the ice cavern.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Fingers McLongDong posted:

Are there any fusion abilities that are considered must-haves in ff:d? I'm now in the paladin chapter and still mostly having my characters finish out their original classss before changing them but they're almost done with those. I haven't stumbled on many f abilities as a result.

The best one is Phantom Dancer which annoyingly requires a level 20 Dancer and a level 17 Monk (Trance+Dropkick). You could alternately level someone to twenty in Archer to get a slightly better similar ability but that one requires two ability slots so your choice. After that you have Hastega (haste+bards haste) and for paladin chapter Warrior 15 and Paladin 9(?) (War Cry+Paladin's Defense Move) gives you a party wide shell, protect, and attack up.

None of these, however, are must haves and you can thoroughly ruin the games day without these abilities. With these even the optional bosses and superbosses will be mince pudding. Especially if you have dualcast on your mages.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

ShadeofDante posted:

So based on the sales of FF:D and the fact it seems generally well received, anyone else hope that team is allowed to make more spin off FF games?

I still haven't beat the game but it really does capture a lot of what made the older FF games so classic.

I certainly wouldn't mind another outing from them. I'd vastly prefer if it wasn't originally split up into little chapters because the games pacing suffers tremendously from it.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Ragequit posted:

I must suck at getting Fusions in Dimensions - I have one: Magic Bomb.

Without a guide you're not likely to get most of them. About half of them require the summoner class + something else and the other ones require really high level skills and abilities that you would probably never keep on the same character much less use them often enough to have them trgger.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Ragequit posted:

You're right - I finally just took a glance at a list, and they are all high level skills, some from classes I don't even have yet. No rush I guess.

The only stuff you should be shooting for that you can start in the early game that's good for endgame is picking one person in each color party to take RDM to max level then converting to that party's color-coded mage and taking all your dark non mage party members to monk 17 to get the head start on Phantom Dancer.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Evil Fluffy posted:

FF1 Dawn of Souls is extremely easy, yeah. They did tone down some things like Black Belts getting level * 2 attack and level = defense when using no armor though. Basically they made black belts stop being Goku. The White Mage in my game has more HP than my Black Belt actually.

The redone formula means a black belt no longer can one shot Chaos and using an unboosted flare does about 400 of Chaos's 20k HP. Attack boost spells work now, though, so your Black Belt can get buffed for a turn or two and suddenly they're right back to dropping 2k-4k damage a swing.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Douche Bag posted:

Finally getting around to playing Tactics. Great game. I haven't cared about a FF story in a long time but this one sucked me in.

Consider FFXII if you haven't then, they're pretty similar in the political intrigue->magical god poo poo transition. Plus they're theoretically the same world even if there is so little overlap its almost fraud to say they're connected.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Elec posted:

8 and later may all have their equally vocal supporters and detractors but 2 is the only one I feel can be properly called a bad game, at least by my judgement. (I have not played 8 or 10 onward yet, so I may regret this statement later?)

2 is just really really bad mechanically and its on the NES so there is no way the "plot" is really going to carry it. Its the first of the "story" FF games as opposed to FFI's "Hey guys lets run my DnD campaign" but its still barely there and sure as poo poo won't make you care. Even cheating the mechanics suck and I doubt anyone would recommend someone play it except to say they have.

8 is bad because the mechanics, while interesting, were not balanced at all and results in a completely free-form difficulty curve entirely based on your knowledge; literally so in the case of the money generation mechanic. The plot then goes out of its way to show you some interesting thoughts and ideas as side-stories and then kinda dump all over it with confusing and poorly thought out main story. "Eyes on Me" also sucks a ton. The only reason to remember it fondly is its by far the most inventive of the mainline games and Triple Triad is amazing.

10 is a good game. Titus can be a whiny dude but the actual story, characters, and world are really interesting and will definitely carry you through a pretty by-the-numbers game.