Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Making things limited use is pretty much always a recipe for players to avoid using something and then FFVIII made it even worse

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

The Art Style is good, the enemy palette swapping decision is bad even if the art for the base enemies is good

What Im saying is an FFX remake should add cutscene skip, redub all of Yunas lines, and make the pallete swap enemies more engaging.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Elephant Ambush posted:

Just dove off the deep end and started FF8 for the first time ever. I just beat Ifrit and I have no idea how the Junction system works at all despite reading everything in all the forced tutorials. Help.

Also I'm playing the Steam version with a PS4 controller. How do I enable the high speed mode? I can't find it anywhere.

Junctioning is massively simpler than the game makes it sound; it is take spell, slap onto stat see bonus. Different kind of spells raise different stats more or less; healing magic for instance raises your HP total much better than offensive magic for example.

Quetzacoatl, who you have, learns a skill called card synthesis* (and I think also item synthesis, maybe its called refine I cant recall but youll want both). Learn that asap. Card lets you turn cards into spells and item does the same thing for items. Tents for instence turn into stacks of curagas and you can then junction a shitload of them to health for cheap and be set on HP for most of if not the entire game.

Enemies level up to match you, and will unlock more and better spells you can draw but your level growth cant meaningfully outpace theres and you can get all those good spells refining and cards and items into magic loooooooooong before enemies start dropping them.

At this point you may notice that fighting things seems sort of pointless since between items you buy and cards you win you can power up your characters far stronger than leveling ever will. Good news, youll get an item shortly called magic lamp. Using it puts you in a bossfight and your reward for winning is a new GF who can learn the skill enc-none which turns off all random battles. Boom youve broken the games difficulty and are on pace to wreck the game until the final dungeon.

Other pro tips: many bosses have GFs on them. Always draw from bosses, you cant miss drawing but if you dont draw the gf off them you wont have another chance at the gf till end game.

Your magic stat determines how many casts you draw from foes. If you want to draw magic off people at a non galacial rate youll want to boost your magic stat. This is important for the above as well because bosses tend to carry more poweful magic than regular encounters so it can be a good source of spells (like double early on) and youll want the most for you buck.

Limit breaks are a function of HP current versus total. If you are in yellow health just keep backing out of your turn over and over as that makes the game check again if it will give you a limit break. You may note this is pathetically easy if you 3k total HP at level 6 where enemies take off 40-50 HP a hit at most

*Might be called card refine, been ages since I played it

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Before I give any advice, did you draw off the boss in dollet and take the GF it gives? If not youll want to redo the fight anyway

Edit: Heres the rest of the advice:

Every GF comes with so many skills including critical ones that control what stats they can junction stuff onto and what combat skills they give access to. When setting up your GFs you'll want to make sure that you've got the appropriate stat coverage although as you start drowning in GFs by mid game this will be less of an issue.

Without GFs equipped you can't do things like cast spells or draw so you want one GF on everyone at all times.

When you transfer GFs there is an option to transfer magic that pops up, most likely thats what you did and it results in all the magic spells on character 1 being moved to character 2. This is useful if you want to switch who is in your active party but not so useful when setting a character up for the first time. If you remove all GFs from someone though that magic flops off them entirely, so don't just remove all GFs when moving them around. Again, just make sure everybody has one GF at all times.

Don't rely on GF summon, and in fact you're best served not using that ability. While its pretty decent early game even in a low level run its usefullness tanks pretty hard and it leaves you stuck watching the cutscene which takes ages. It can, however, be useful to tank hits since your GF has a separate life-bar but this is going to be an edge case scenario you can ignore probably entirely.

At the end of the Dollet mission you will be chased. You can actually beat that boss but I recommend against doing it because a) you probably don't get the system well enough to do it as its not easy doing it blind b) the reward is miniscule and c) you miss out on what is probably the most remembered cutscene in the game

Barudak fucked around with this message at 14:31 on Mar 12, 2019

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Elephant Ambush posted:

Yes but I'm going to redo the fight anyway because I want to get this goofy system figured out before I stumble through the rest of the game.

It looks like every time you move an esper you have to do a bunch of explicit reconfigs on your peeps and that's annoying.

If its any consolation immediately following Dollet is when the game opens up that you can take your time to break it over your knee. As long as you can power through Dollet you have all the time you could ever want to get yourself set.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

seiferguy posted:

When you reach Galbadia Garden, you'll want to be an average level of 20-30 and fight Cerberus, who you can draw triple from. Triple is a fantastic stat raising spell earlier on in the game. You'll never need to use them either because summoning Cerberus does it for you.

Odin always has triple if he wants it early, and double from Cerberus is good enough even if he comes in at around level 10 on average to carry him to more rsources of triple. No need to raise level at all, in fact, its slightly harder.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Elephant Ambush posted:

OK so after reading a couple guides it looks like you always want to draw like crazy but never use any spells because that decreases the stat bonuses the drawn spells give?

That...... seems dumb. So you basically either attack or summon all the time? That seems boring.

And always use potions because healing spells are rare early on and they're good stat boosters?

And always boost your magic stat as high as possible at all times so that you can draw more?

If you want to destroy the games curve, yes. Like we mentioned, you basically never want to fight random battles and never use spells and you'll shatter the games difficulty. We're talking an hour or so of setup at the beginning and middle of the game will carry you through 90% of boss fights in one or two limit breaks.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Elephant Ambush posted:

And for Limit Breaks you just allow yourself to get hurt down to low HP and go ham?

Yep. You dont even have to get hurt on purpose, just equip healing magic to health and your max HP increases but current HP is static.

If you want to ignore this advice and attempt to play this game like other JRPGs youre going to have a really rough time. In order to pace stat gains you have to grind out the abilities on GFs that give you additional stat gains on level up and never grind as doing otherwise means two things. The first is enemy stat growth and spell acquisition will make it so they outpace not only your base stats but even your junctioned stats starting around level 40-50 and if you go even farther, well max damage is 9999 with no way to break the cap so enjoy not being able to deal enough damage even with max stats to kill enemies in a reasonable timeframe.

Basically in FFVIII there are a half-dozen ways to break the games difficulty completely or one way to play on hard mode by just playing it like a normal JRPG and absolutely no middle ground

Barudak
May 7, 2007

A lot. Like going from drawing 1-3 to drawing mire than 20

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Tibeerius posted:

:suicide:
Was this called out somewhere in the tutorials and I just missed it?

I think, and dont quote me on this, they vaguely allude to it during the junction tutorial when they explain what each stat does by saying it "improves draw" but it never is mentioned again. It sure as hell doesnt indicate what the breakpoints are or how much more you can draw with high Mag versus low Mag.

It also effects how much you draw from the static draw points which means if you have high Mag that static draw of Ultima you get access to during disc 2 is absurdly broken. Why yes, Squall and Co should have 255 strength before disc 3

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Fister Roboto posted:

You can only draw 9 at most per turn, but yeah, magic is how you get to that.

Looks like its 9 in battle and 15 from draw points, so Im wrong and my memory is trash.

As mea culpa in the demo of FFVIII drawing takes longer because Square apparently wanted to make sure you really enjoyed that mechanic.

Barudak fucked around with this message at 10:24 on Mar 13, 2019

Barudak
May 7, 2007

For the card game rules if people say "hey lets use [new rule] in this region" just decline their challenge and after a few times they wont ask to use the new rule ever again. Do this a few times in each region and youll spread your preferred rules to that region, even people youve not talked to or played.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Elephant Ambush posted:

Thanks. I have Blind. I'm assuming that's its weakness?

Cool I will use it after redoing the train.

It gives you a GF, theres no reason to wait and that GF gives you encounter none.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Btw you can one hit kill the train boss in FFVIII through the use of a common item because basically every single FF game is legally obligated to have a boss you can chump with this trick.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Elephant Ambush posted:

What is the item?

And you mean fake mutant president right?

Yep. I cant believe Im spoilering this phoenix down

Barudak
May 7, 2007

MikeJF posted:

Yeah I haven't actually played Crisis Core but I've heard it's largely not that bad or as guilty of the dumbest poo poo in the FF7 extended canon?

Its really loving dumb, on par with the rest of the really stupid FFVII EU, its just the final playable segment of the game is probably the best integration of story and mechanics SE has ever mustered so people remember it super fondly for that.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

One of the characters talks in quotes from an in universe play called Loveless, based on that one poster in FFVII that is ripping of My Bloody Valentine (the band name appearing in the work too). It takes the "character talks in erudite fiction quotes" cliche and ramps it up to 11. That entire character to me is worse than the vast majority of dumb poo poo in say Before Crisis or Dirge of Cerberus.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Elephant Ambush posted:

So breaking FF8 is hilarious so far. I only fight bosses and they do no damage and I slurp 100 of everything out of them and then flatten them. The story, uh, exists, I guess. It's nice to be able to just coast through everything and see the story without huge gaps in between filled with grinding and poo poo.

Welcome to why people like FFVIII.

Oh at a certain point youll be tasked to find the "white fleet". You can only go to that area once, as part of the story and after that you can never return. Make sure to talk to people on the ship, I dont remember which it is, but there is a person (maybe a book been years) which is one of only two places in the game where the settings backstory occurs and the setting backstory rules.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Help Im Alive posted:

Am I the only one that likes fighting enemies in these games or something

That's like, half the game

Theyre fun to fight in 13, sometimes in 15. 12 was nice since its main quest has no difficulty so fighting was soothing but not very engaging.

11 was pure misery.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Theyre all good the worst games in the series, Brent

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Selphie is the games actual Manic Pixie Dream Girl though?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Elephant Ambush posted:

She doesn't fawn all over Squall so she really isn't in the traditional sense. MPDG is always the magical inspiration the dark brooding man needs to get past his issues. It's bad.

Selphie is just cute and fun and relatively care free.

I mean, my point is Rhinoa isnt that either and the MPDG is not for a brooding man, its for an authors self insert aka a dull, professional man. Of the actual character traits an MPDG posses, Selphie has them she just isnt the love interest.

Squall is also not brooding so much as a child soldier who lacks healthy emotional coping mechanisms due to being, you know, a child soldier.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

FactsAreUseless posted:

She's an RPG character, they're all capable of cutting down thousands of living things.

Unless its FFX where I dont think the party kills a single living thing.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Yeah the mobile phone graphics look like hot trash and people thinking they looked like trash apparently surprised SE.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I only ever used the regalia for its mandatory story uses and the achievement.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

In 10 the characters are interchangeable sans limits and in 12 vanilla even with limits.

The series is much more iterative than people think of it, with most design decisions being variations of previous systems rather than totally new stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

lobster22221 posted:

Just hit yourself while working out and holding a shield instead.

No no, the trick is missing yourself