Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
They kinda did, it was on the PSP and it was called Dissidia. Not quite the same thing but you get to play as Sephiroth which I think is why people played Ehrgeiz to begin with

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Considering how much music is a factor in enjoying older JRPGs, a musical isn't the most far-fetched idea I've ever heard. Nowadays this is a ridiculous idea because the only thing of any quality in animated musicals happened in the 90s.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Gotta show off them 'pits

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
When I was a kid I got to the end of FF8, but it took forever because all I did was use summons over and and over and over. The junction system is explained in the beginning of FF8 but if you're a kid who just got a new Final Fantasy game you probably skipped all the tutorials because you've played the previous games and didn't need tutorials. I know the draw/junction system is liked by a lot of people, but it's not something you can just intuitively figure out unless it's explained to you.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Why is everyone assuming that the person looking for a starter RPG is trying to find one for an infant? Also you can't beat Pokemon with just the starter and nothing else because you need HMs to progress. Although there is nobody alive that is so stupid that they never caught any Pokemon ever because they couldn't figure it out

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

ImpAtom posted:

I tutor at schools sometimes and have tutored at a school when a new Pokemon game came out. There were in fact kids who had trouble catching Pokemon for a variety of reasons even after tutorials.

Now that I think about it, I think it had a lot to do with the fact that I was also watching the anime at the time, as was every other kid. It really drummed into your mind that you had to catch 'em all.

Also Pidgeys and Rattatas are strong as poo poo when they evolve. Nothing wrong with them. Hyper Fang is strong as hell.

SolidSnakesBandana fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Sep 18, 2013

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Why is it that nobody ever uses Kimahri? I was the same way, I never used that fucker once.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
This may surprise you but the story is why the majority of Final Fantasy fans play these games. If you ask any nostalgia-fueled gamer about past Final Fantasy games they usually cite the story as being their favorite part. I just can't imagine anyone that puts up with these games because they just loving LOVE the battle system.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

ImpAtom posted:

Man, I would never have said I played a FF just for the story. Even the older FF games I like are games I like because of characters more than the story. I grew up with PC games so maybe that colors it for me, but I would never have played a Final Fantasy just for its story.

We may have different definitions here but I consider the characters to be part of the story.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
What self-respecting Final Fantasy fan (or human being) would argue against the inclusion of an overworld?

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

ImpAtom posted:

I don't really get the big appeal of overworlds honestly. There are a couple of games where they've been done somewhat well but the vast majority of them are large boring and effectively linear empty fields which only serve to extend the time between areas with actual content. After you get an airship they open up a little but not a tremendous amount. I don't dislike them when they're not badly designed but I don't really feel their absence if they're gone.

One thing I miss about overworlds is sometimes you can find cool secret areas on them if you look around. I'm trying to imagine if a game like FF6 or FF7 would be better or worse without an overworld and I can't help but conclude that it's worse. Picking locations from a menu just takes me out of the game a little bit, if that makes sense. I feel it fails to properly convey distance on a journey.

Oddly enough I totally forgot that FFX didn't have an overworld until someone here mentioned it. It wasn't until FFXII that it was noticeably missing.

SolidSnakesBandana fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Sep 25, 2013

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

The Ninth Layer posted:

Who would you guys recommend for a long-term party? Seems like the only thing differentiating characters in FF7 is their limits. Right now I'm rolling with Cloud, Barret and Tifa.

The characters you like the best, really. They're all pretty kickass.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

This would be confusing coming from anyone other than the thread's biggest FF XIII apologist. Never stop.

Sorry, everyone loved the gently caress out of Chrono Cross when it came out. It got universally awesome scores across the board. You of all people, who believes FF7 is the best Final Fantasy, should understand that.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
I really think you need to put yourself in the mindset of a person playing the game when it was just released. Final Fantasy 8 might not hold up today, but at the time it was released it was just a visual marvel. Everyone was too busy looking at the awesome graphics to give a gently caress about any lackluster gameplay. Same with Chrono Cross, really. That and the goddamn amazing soundtrack (for CC, not FF8).

SolidSnakesBandana fucked around with this message at 06:41 on Sep 27, 2013

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Captain Mog posted:

Here's the English trailer for "Bravely Default". Looks pretty awesome. I love the cutesy art style and the FFV-esque battle/job system already. The voice acting leaves much to be desired, but eh, that's just par for the course for SE. I'm much more excited about this than I am about Lightning Returns, to be honest. It's kind of like a love letter to 90's FF.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pP4thJzT-8Y

Why does this trailer begin with what appears to be an underage topless girl?

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Art style maybe, but she's clearly putting on the dress during the trailer. Starts off with no sleeves, ends with two sleeves.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
I always thought Gau was the worst character. Cyan rules.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
I wasn't joking. Every time I played through FF6 I shelved Gau immediately and dreaded the part where you meet him. I hate any character whose sole gimmick is Blue Magic. I also dislike Quina in FF9

SolidSnakesBandana fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Oct 10, 2013

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Defiance Industries posted:

I would understand if you zeroed on Sabin as the best since he's super-easy to use and doesn't fall off until you start getting the really broken endgame stuff, but... Cyan? Really? Even as a kid I could tell he was terrible.

I didn't say Cyan was the best. I just found Gau to be an insufferable comic relief. Different strokes. My favorite party was whichever one had Sabin and Edgar in it. 6 had a lot of badass characters, the only ones I flat out never used were Mog and Gau

SolidSnakesBandana fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Oct 10, 2013

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Regalingualius posted:

"Run, run, or you'll be well-done!"

If I'm ever in a situation where I can't curse but I feel like saying "son of a bitch" I instead say "son of a submariner"

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Nihilarian posted:

I lost the fight against shirtless Sephiroth.

... Or so I say. The disc was scratched so it froze. I turned off the playstation and watched the ending on YouTube.

:hfive: disc scratch buddy. My FFX disc froze during the last loving battle. I took my memory card over to my friend's house and beat it there though.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Has there ever been a JRPG sequel that was significantly similar to its predecessor? All the ones I can think of make drastic changes to the plot and battle systems, when what everyone really wants out of popular JRPG sequels is more of the same.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
So how well utilized is the soundtrack in FF13? One of the main reasons I enjoy FF7 is its wonderful soundtrack. In fact, if it was muted I would probably wouldn't care for it much at all.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
I'm not sure if people in Final Fantasy have any concept of skimpy clothing.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Also chocobuckle is lame.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Kalenn Istarion posted:

Here's a stick of dynamite, I like the idea of the lotr movies but they're one of the most reliable ways for me to fall asleep. Soooooo loooooooonng

How to watch the Lord of the Rings movies:

1) Get all three extended editions.
2) Pretend it's a season of a TV show called Lord of the Rings.
3) Watch in hour long intervals.

Still shorter than a season of Game of Thrones.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Madmarker posted:

Probably that weird group of people that thought they were reincarnations of Jenova and whatnot.

Here we go: http://www.demon-sushi.com/warning/mee.html

I read that whole thing. Wow.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

maou shoujo posted:

Of course there is. This is why the term "otaku" exists, it was invented for mocking shut-in nerds who use stilted, excessively formal grammar. It's very closely analogous to the english term "neckbeard" in describing social ineptitude. Just remember that next time you see a japanophile person describing themselves as such.

I've seen people use Otaku as a badge of pride, but never Neckbeard.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Man what happened in 2008?

Ah, here we go: Crisis Core: Final Fantasy VII. North American release date: March 24, 2008

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Is it worth waiting to play FFX the HD version at some point, or will a PCSX2 gussied up with a version containing the Expert Sphere grid be enough? I played through FFX at release so its not new.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Mega64 posted:

Has anyone tried out the FF6 Randomizer yet? Wondering what it's like and how balanced it is since I probably won't get around to trying it anytime soon.

Diggin this patch note:

Bug fixes:
vVI - Psycho Cyan. Cyan, under certain circumstances would counter-attack his own attacks, which will eventually kill all enemies on the field.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Butt Ghost posted:

I was under the impression the Sqaull's Dead Theory was based on the spooky Squall with the hole for a face.

I was convinced when they were showing clips of him getting impaled in the ending. I think it's a decent theory.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

morallyobjected posted:

I do that on early disc one just to cheese some things, sometimes. But there's really nothing that you can't beat easily even without broken junctions by the time you get Card Mod, Card, and the ability to mod items into magic. I dunno why people praise the materia system so much in VII. It's honestly like my least favourite skill system.

I liked the idea of leveling up spells as items. It allowed for some actual customization. Youcould use whatever party members you liked best. Plus as far as I am concerned its the only game that made "blue" magic worth a drat. I loved the enemy skill materia and I hate every single character in FF that uses blue magic.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Schwartzcough posted:

Have you even played FFV?

Also, how could you hate Strago, Quistis, Quina, AND Khimari? They range from "ignorable" to "pretty OK."

Quistis uses blue magic? How do I not remember that at all? All the rest though, yeah, garbage.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Levantine posted:

I played the game like a regular Final Fantasy RPG and had no trouble whatsoever, and the game remained challenging (in parts) for the entire experience. I only played the card game, I never refined the cards. It's not a bad game because another play-style is more optimal. It's a bad game because it's a Final Fantasy.

I played it like a regular Final Fantasy game as well. I used GFs over and over and over again because in previous games summons were the strongest attacks you could do. This was The Wrong Way.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Fungah! posted:

It's worth noting that the atma drop rate was ~1% last I heard, so "more than doubled" doesn't mean a whole lot~

That's not how percentages work. Over twice as much is still over twice as much.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

bloodychill posted:

I'm asking out of genuine curiosity - which previous FF's reused assets? The only things I can think of are the tile sets from the early games.

The most offensive re-used asset imaginable: ideas

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Endorph posted:

FF7's translation is bad. Stilted, awkward, a lot of the characters lack a real 'voice', grammatical errors and translation errors.

You can understand it, and play the game, and there are even a few moments where it's good ("This train we're on ain't got no brakes!") but there's still tons of room for improvement.

Who cares, they say poo poo and drat. when I was a kid I loved Barrett because he had such a foul mouth and growing up I was never allowed to say those things. Even if I read it aloud, I would replace it with "darn" or something. Then Cid came along and :aaa:

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Yes children are dumb and will eat poo poo. This is known. It doesn't make a bad translation good.

I seriously doubt a different translation would affect my opinion of the games story even slightly. It's like the nitpickiest of nitpicks. It implies that if the localization team added in a few more american in-jokes, the plot would seem different somehow. Like filet mignon for your eyes I guess? "Phew, they fixed the 43 grammatical errors on disc 1, finally I can play this the way it was meant to be played!!!!!"

SolidSnakesBandana fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Oct 29, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Every time Cid was on screen it was a joy. No problems with that guy's translation at least.