Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Distant Chicken
Aug 15, 2007
VIII has always been one of my favorites. It's just so easy to break into a million pieces in all the best ways.

I also like X, don't care for IX, and have all kinds of other bad opinions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Distant Chicken
Aug 15, 2007

Soylent Heliotrope posted:

"Which version should I play" info that I would like to submit into consideration for the OP:

FFX: The International version is the way to go. There's all kinds of neat (impossible) optional fights and a second Sphere Grid to make multiple playthroughs interesting. It wasn't released outside of Japan, but they used the English voice acting (may or may not be a good thing) and the first option you get upon starting a new game lets you switch all the text to English.

Is the HD remake going to be based on the International version? If so I guess it'd be worth it to wait and get that when it comes out.

Distant Chicken
Aug 15, 2007

Epi Lepi posted:

What was different in the international version of VII?

Possibly related, I remember reading ages ago that there was a book or something about the final fantasy series that talked about how the world of VII and the world of X are related somehow, like one is the past of the other. Anyone know anything about that, or am I making poo poo up?

In X-2 there's a character named Shinra who talks about travelling to another planet and harnessing its energy or somesuch.

Distant Chicken
Aug 15, 2007
Oh yeah, Crisis Core! That was a pretty not terrible game. Except for Gackt.

Distant Chicken
Aug 15, 2007
Hopefully FF13-3 takes out those pesky encounters. I mean, the game already plays itself, but it still makes me push A every 30 seconds? I just want to watch anime characters do anime things all anime day!

Distant Chicken
Aug 15, 2007

Pesky Splinter posted:

FFXIII doesn't want to be played, it wants you to watch it and be enveloped in its story. Whether you as the player like it or not.

That's pretty much what I was getting at. I feel like FF13 didn't really want to be a game rather than a big budget CGI movie, and they really bring it home by making the first option in the menu "Auto-Battle." Then again, Earthbound had auto-fight.

Look, I already said I have all kinds of bad opinions about Final Fantasy :v:

Distant Chicken
Aug 15, 2007

Harlock posted:

SE finished in the black for the last fiscal year thanks to Deus Ex and FFX13-2, so get ready for FF13-3.

Can we get DXHR2 while we're at it?

Distant Chicken
Aug 15, 2007
Nomura was at his best in the PS1 era when technology limitations stopped him from adding details upon details to his characters. Also, according to rumor he has a weird sense of humor. I've heard that the fur lining on Squall's jacket in particular was added just to make the CG team's life hell.

Distant Chicken
Aug 15, 2007
I don't remember any of the antagonists in XIII. I remember the one boss battle that was stupidly hard. Also there was one you fought in the midgame and again at the very end, and it was almost the same exact fight both times. I couldn't tell you either of these enemies' names or what they looked like.

Distant Chicken
Aug 15, 2007
Man, I loved Versus Books. Blew Prima and Nintendo guides right out of the water.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Distant Chicken
Aug 15, 2007

Mak0rz posted:

Vincent seems like your token goth emoboy and I don't really like him, so I can't really say much.

Like him or hate him, Vincent's character archetype is "Goth Vampire" and his design communicates that really well. I love FFVII's character design.