Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Polite Tim
Sep 3, 2007
'insert witty Family Guy/ Futurama/ Simpsons/ Little fucking Britian etc quote here'
The Final Fantasy game I enjoyed the most was probably XII, followed closely by IX and then VI.

XII had this massive open world that felt lived in, a sense of scale that hasn't been replicated since (in the main series anyway). There was a lot to do in it, the battle system was completely removed from previous games but worked really well if you just wanted to give basic orders to your team and get on with exploring.

IX had an unusual fantasy setting with a lot of cool and dorky characters, it didn't take itself too seriously and it had an excellent skills/equipment system. The overworld, the last of it's type in an FF game, had a buzz about it, and was interesting looking. Chocobo Hot and Cold is loving amazing too.

VI just simply had a cool story, cool battle system, interesting techno-fantasy world and a tonne of optional content.

I also liked X-2 a hell of a lot.

Final Fantasy has a huge list of spin off games, of variable quality. I'm currently playing Bahamut Lagoon, which i'm enjoying so far even if it is a bit basic and the story is terrible. It's one of the few SRPGs i've played that has some form of environmental interaction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Polite Tim
Sep 3, 2007
'insert witty Family Guy/ Futurama/ Simpsons/ Little fucking Britian etc quote here'

Schwartzcough posted:

This man here objectively has the correct opinion, with a minor edit.

I liked V as well but X-2 had a nice amount of freedom from the start and a huge amount of optional content. Some flaws, mainly how easy it was to miss items and scenes. It had a lot of great designs, but ultimately most people were turned off by the initially horrible story and grating 'girlishness' of the game.

V was a solid, well paced game that was well balanced in difficulty, but it didn't capture me the way X-2

Polite Tim
Sep 3, 2007
Remind me, can a PS3 slim play PSOne games or not?

I have a PAL copy of FF Origins and a hankering for playing V without having to buy it again through the PSN

Polite Tim
Sep 3, 2007
All this talk of FFV has made me stop playing my expensive AAA game (dragon's dogma)and run the snes version of V again. I'm not doing a four job run just yet, since i never actually finished the game first time round. At the moment I'm en route to the earth crystal, just hit crescent island and my loadout is:

Thief-turned-Ninja Bartz
White Mage-turned-Time Mage Lenna
Knight-turned-Mystic Knight Galuf
Black Mage-turned-Caller Faris

Pretty much steamrolling fools left right and centre, only problem I had so far was when Bilbios killed everyone in the first thirty seconds of the fight because Lenna got Slowed, but other than that things are going smoothly.

Polite Tim
Sep 3, 2007

Berk Berkly posted:

VVVV Nope, once selected they are stuck on that Job-board. And you can only have one character on one job. It isn't quite as cool as previous Job systems to be honest. A lot less flexible but it does make you think about and specialize your party members or at least should.

So in a way it's more like FFIX but you initially choose which job which character gets. I can live with that. I'm doing a semi restrictive run on FFV where each character has a primary trait and only runs jobs with that trait, a la, agility= thief, ninja, archer etc. Though i've bollocksed it up a bit by having a black magic slinging archer...

It would be cool if an HD reissue of XII gave you a choice of licence boards, like the international version of X did with its basic and advanced sphere grids. I like the sound of restrictive play from a balance point of view, but also there's no reason why you can't just do that with the open licence board instead.

Polite Tim
Sep 3, 2007
People go on and on about Xenoblade being the greatest JRPG in a long time and yes it is a great game full of stunning vistas, good music, really cool little game mechanics that you wonder why they weren't in other games before.No one ever seems to mention the fact that the combat system is a ham-fisted cluster-gently caress at the best of times. Dear lord if there is one thing that is preventing me from playing the game it's that combat system.

Again, lots of great mechanics in it, especially the whole tactical deal with faceplate mechon and what not, but it's like i'm playing the game with a fishing rod and the bait is an angry koala bear.Xenoblade's world and quest system with something like FFXIII-2's combat system would indeed be the greatest game for me.

Don't let that put anyone off playing the game, it really is a cool game, it's just that there are a lot of frustrating fights where the retarded camera and stupid controls get in the way of making it fun.

My two cents

EDIT: I know this is the final fantasy thread so i should say something final fantasyish: If what I gather from the Lightning Returns promo is correct, is this basically an open world RPG cross breed of FFX and Majora's mask? Because that sounds pretty cool. Wonder how the story is going to tie in though

Polite Tim
Sep 3, 2007

Sex_Ferguson posted:

It really sounds like they're making a straight up action rpg like it seems they've been trying to do for a while. It sounds like it could be fun though, can't wait to see some footage.

I'm really excited to see how this pans out. I enjoyed FFXIII although I can accept that it was somewhat lacking in the content department, FFXIII-2 was a big improvement but again, quite streamlined. They've mentioned two cities and two larger rural areas, hopefully this time the cities actually feel like they're inhabited by actual people.

Three games spring to mind based on what they've said so far:

Alpha Protocol (can finish the game in a short space of time, but offers replayability)

Majora's mask (obviously)

Metroidvania (the potential for gaining new abilities and exploring further old areas)

I'm cautiously optimistic, but I will probably be buying this

Polite Tim
Sep 3, 2007

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Oh yeah when I beat Ozma way back in PS1 days I did the friendly monsters quest, wouldn't have won otherwise as I think Ozma ended up killing itself with Doomsday. I did pretty much everything other than Treasure Hunter/Card stuff, I think I got every Chocograph and had Zidane/Vivi/Steiner/Dagger all hitting for 9999 which was tedious as poo poo.

I think Steiner just needed to get Shock to do it which is a chocobo reward, Vivi just needed Flare and Reflectx2, but Zidane needed to grind up thievery and for Dagger you needed to grind up I think Rubies so that Bahamut would become stronger.

This time I'm trying to use a completely different party from the first 4 you get. I was thinking Freya who has a very easy 9999, maybe Quina for his spells but his frog drop 9999 is too boring to level up so I'll see how Limit Glove does, and I wanted Eiko but as far as I know she can't reliably do 9999 right?

I am obsessively checking every moogle. It's dumb, sometimes if you deliver a letter you still have to check mognet again for them to give you their own letter. I don't even remember what the reward was.

supersoft I believe

Polite Tim
Sep 3, 2007

Azure_Horizon posted:

I just think the fancifully epic music combined with Vivi going loving berserk, Zidane barely hanging onto Vivi after he expended on all of his power, and Black Waltz #3 loving his own poo poo up makes it the best movie in an FF game to me. When I played it for the first time, I knew the game would be my favorite of the series and nothing would ever, ever, ever top it.

Lets just agree that FF9 had excellent FMVs. Really the whole game was fantastic. I know people aren't all that fond of the other continents due to the lack of big cities, but I really liked the whole package. Yes, including hippo racing and jumprope. The whole atmosphere and design of the game is wholly charming and likeable, and as much as I enjoy the later Final Fantasy games, I think 9 was the last truly great game in the series.

The soundtracks to the PSOne era games were really memorable too, I can't remember any music from XIII-2 even though I played it only three months ago. apart from Crazy Chocobo, of course

Polite Tim
Sep 3, 2007

Defiance Industries posted:

I named her "shiv." I wanted her to act hard, yo, like she'd done time.

I called her Shiv too! Seemed appropriate given the lack of sharp weapons in her roster :banjo:

It's a shame we can't go back to the pre-VA days of RPGs where you can name people. In games where you have generic units you still can, of course. Or even just have it so the players are referred to as a nickname but you can choose their actual name.

Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne even had the option of giving your characters a forename and surname

Polite Tim
Sep 3, 2007

The White Dragon posted:

They totally had last names. Seymour Guado, Kimahri Ronso. Yuna

Human :colbert:

I always assumed Braska was the family name, though it was weird that none of the human characters seemed to have surnames. I mean, the game had an entirely made up (and academically stupid) language based on symbol replacement, but no surnames?

Polite Tim
Sep 3, 2007

Bongo Bill posted:

Not 2, not 7, and 1 only if you're interested in a historical curiosity, so primitive as to be virtually unrelated to the series in its modern incarnation (which crystallized with 3). All of the others are excellent, and have very little to recommend them as preferable to any other as an entry point.

There's a thread for this, in which that question comes up often. You can get better opinions there.

I played Dragon Warrior 1 fairly recently, and while it's primitive, it's actually quite nice to play. You only have one party member and the world is quite small, but it means you can bash through it in about 5-6 hours

Sometimes all you want is a nice, short, no BS JRPG you can complete easily without having to commit a huge amount of time to.

Having said that: I still vastly prefer the more recent iterations in terms of content. I've played 4 and 9 on the DS and 8 on PS2 and they were all great.

4 especially has an interesting chapter based story where you play as different characters/parties for the majority of the game then all finally meet up in the final chapter to kick evil's arse.

9 Is a great game for customisation and giving you an open world almost from the word go, but it has this problem of petering out towards the end because of how the questing system works. Plus some of the quests have the Yakuza 3 problem of not really telling you how to complete them in any way, so that's a bit annoying.

8 was my first Dragon Quest game, and it's really good, great visuals, massive open world, good characters, great sense of humour. Never completed it, but I got a good 30-40 odd hours out of the first half alone, so it's good value for money.

EDIT: Forgot this was the FF thread AGAIN. I've been really into the FFXI soundtrack recently, and was thinking of getting it off of the PSN, does anyone know of any glitches or problems with the PSN version or is it just the PSone version in its entirity?

Polite Tim
Sep 3, 2007

computerdude37 posted:

Do people consider FFVIII a bad game? I haven't seen it in any website's "top X FF games". I'm currently on disk 2 and I'm really enjoying myself a lot.

Considering I might like a "bad" game, what would be the next in the series that would blow my mind?

You mean as a perceived 'bad game'? X-2, though most people here would agree that x-2 is the tits, it just has a retarded story. Or maybe FFIII DS, that's a pretty horrible game

Polite Tim
Sep 3, 2007

Pesky Splinter posted:

That's the thing; it's presented as him being horribly hosed up. The player is certainly not meant to supportive of that. Or the blatent misogyny. And there's the fact that he's the antagonist.

Ah, Star Ocean 4, I was introduced to that cutscene in the XIII thread. Jesus loving christ. :shepicide:
I don't know if it's the way she says it or what, but that scene makes my flesh crawl.

Just like to point out, that particular scene is entirely optional, I played through Star Ocean til the bitter end and never had the pleasure of experiencing it

If only the same were true of 'Mom's are tough' in FFXIII

Polite Tim
Sep 3, 2007

That loving Sned posted:

Could you please explain the game's plot, without referencing the Final Fantasy Wiki?

I'd like to hear how it would be summarised by someone who isn't Azure Horizon, who's clearly read the entire datalogue and Ultimatim guides, so can handwave every bullshit plot point from something you'd never experience in the game.

I'd like to give it a try:

Etro did a bad thing which caused a knock on effect allowing a nihilistic thespian to travel back in time, absorb Etro and spend the rest of the game trying to stop Noel and Sera from saving the world. When he dies, Etro dies and all of existence comes to a standstill. Noel and Sera are told explicitly beforehand by Lightning that if Etro dies things get really bad, and also that the heart of Chaos is the life essence of etro, yet they fight and kill Caius anyway. It's retarded hero syndrome all over again like in XIII. Also Sazh gambles or something.

Polite Tim
Sep 3, 2007

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I absolutely loathed FF13 but against all odds I'm actually enjoying FF13-2 a lot. I actually want to see how it ends.

You'll either enjoy the ending or be incredibly hosed off with it. But you get to go back and do other endings afterwards and some of them are awesome Timecop Snow

Polite Tim
Sep 3, 2007
Its depressing that this is a profitable business model for many people. I don't really have a problem with IAPs as such, as it's basically DLC, but this model of pay for the game, then pay to continue playing along with, and i'll emphasize this: randomized premium loving content, this seems like an incredible insult to fans who have stuck by the company even as it's started to suck.

If they spend less time with these games, porting FFIV to 100 billion consoles and making new game engines from scratch every five minutes we'd probably have versus XIII by now

Polite Tim
Sep 3, 2007

Endorph posted:

I seriously doubt they pulled a single guy off Versus XIII to do this or any of the FF4 ports.

I don't doubt that, and I can see why they they do these things because it's probably more profitable for them than the £40 AAA games they make, (especially since I imagine fewer people are buying AAA games brand new due to smaller disposable incomes) but it smacks of lazy design and they are still using resources they could delegate to the Versus XIII team.

Polite Tim
Sep 3, 2007
The only problem with Lightning per se is that she's not Sazh.

But Sazh was never leading man material and Lightning is probably the best Female FF character since probably Beatrix in FFXI

Still waiting on Sazh's gambling adventures through space and time part two though

Polite Tim
Sep 3, 2007

Mega64 posted:

See, they should be putting Chronobind on iOS instead of these drat blatant money-sinks.

Hell, they could make a good bit of money putting some of their more popular minigames like Triple Triad or Blitzball on mobile devices and charging a couple bucks for them.

You can get an unlicensed free version of triple triad on android, it's still in beta and has very little in the way of content but it helps pass the time a little

Polite Tim
Sep 3, 2007
Just a quick query, I've noticed the distinct lack of Final Fantasy Tactics on the UK PSN, is there a reason for this or is it just because it was never originally released over here?

Polite Tim
Sep 3, 2007

Bongo Bill posted:

If Final Fantasy Dimensions was Final Fantasy V 2, then Bravely Default is Final Fantasy V Solid.

By that definition the story is going to get hella complicated by Bravely Default IV: Blades of the Patriots

Polite Tim
Sep 3, 2007

Brasseye posted:

Cool, I wondered why people were still alive after however long it had been. So all this Chaos stuff started showing up after the death goddess was killed? Honestly I'm just glad everyone has stopped saying l'cie and fal'cie all the drat time.

:v:

And instead say Paradox every other word...

Polite Tim
Sep 3, 2007
Quick FFXHD question. On the start screen of the UK disc version it has seperate options for X-2 and X-2 Last Mission. Which one should I be going for?

Polite Tim
Sep 3, 2007
I just jumped on the Lightning Returns bandwagon, I'm enjoying the gameplay, especially the control and pace of the battle system and the general majoras mask feel of it. Holy titty loving christ the story is bad though. I enjoyed the mess that was the first two games, but square enix really outdid themselves in the high stakes bad dialogue game. I'm only a few hours in but already I hate every single character and the whole 'come on people bask in the loving light of almighty god, I'm the saviour but I'm only doing this to bring my sister back from the dead' is downright insulting.

I guess I shouldn't have played it right after FFX HD. Which is loving amazing by the way, everyone should play it.

Polite Tim
Sep 3, 2007

Schwartzcough posted:

You should definitely check it out. The demo isn't even all that great, but the game itself is a lot of fun. But it takes a while for some people to really get into it, so some advice:
1. Don't sweat the time limit. Really. For some reason, several of the first missions you're introduced to give you very little guidance on what you're supposed to do or where to find things, and this makes people panic about the time they're losing. But this becomes less common as you find more quests, and you should really have more than enough time to do all the main quests and most or all of the subquests. Just use the Chronostasis ability to freeze time whenever you're in areas with monsters (killing them restores your EP you use for Chronostasis).

2. Don't just hang out in the first city. Go out and start exploring the other 3 main regions. The starting city is probably the most boring and visually unappealing, and there's no real reason to try and do all the quests there first. The game is really non-linear, so just go wherever and start doing quests, shopping for new outfits, and killing the local wildlife for new skills.

I can heartily recommend it from a game play perspective now that I've gotten over the horrible first few hours of story line. The combat is really fun, and the pace of the game vis a vis the time limit is pretty good. Despite the time limit it feels like a much more chilled out game compared to the previous two. Once you get past the first day you can just chronostasis everywhere and do everything with enough time to go get an ice cream or something.

Ignore the cutscenes, make the story your own. My lightning Returns is about a former Turk who got kicked out of the organisation for being too sarcastic and now devotes her time and energy to wiping out indigenous species and going SHOPPING!!!

EDIT: I'm aware I ribbed the poo poo out of the game barely a few days ago, but the storyline got a lot more bearable once Hope stopped preaching at me about Bhunalveze every five seconds and actually just helped me with my quest. 'Hi I'm hope, I was an annoying kid who became a pretty tolerable adult and I live in a world where noone ages. Apart from me, i'm a kid again. Don't know why, but now you get to enjoy the worst of both worlds with me!!' - Great idea Squenix

Polite Tim fucked around with this message at 09:43 on Apr 8, 2014

Polite Tim
Sep 3, 2007

Orgia Carnaval posted:

I finally got around to finishing Lightning Returns and that final series of cutscenes was everything I wanted it to be. Robo God was a really dumb boss though and not nearly as fun as Barty or Caius.

I really wanted more Caius action in LR, he was by and far the best character in the series. The game could have had robo-god pitting caius against lightning for some reason and then five hundred bahamuts turn up for the bahamut drinks social and all hell breaks loose. And after the dust has settled, Lightning goes to france for a nice chateau holiday as in the post credits cutscene and everything worked out for the best

It's funny, considering how insultingly dumb parts of the story were, it was a strangely satisfying conclusion to the series, and the whole sequence where you help to heal the angel of valhalla back to full health then it turns out to be Odin all along was quite endearing to me.

Polite Tim
Sep 3, 2007

Mr. Fortitude posted:

The XIII games got better with each installment I think.
Though XIII-2 fixed a lot of problems with XIII only to introduce completely new problems in the process which has been mentioned before on this page. LR was actually really fun, stupid story aside so it's not been a total wash.

Lightning Returns was a really fun game but none of the entries in the XIII trilogy actually felt like a proper Final Fantasy game, and I know the series as a whole is known for experimenting with formulas, but 13 and 13-2 felt more like, dare I say it, a high budget Compile Heart JRPG and Lightning Returns felt very similar to Nier in its tone and style. I'm hoping XV returns the series to its psone/PS2 heyday. Recent trailers garner a lot more confidence in the final product being great whereas the trailers for XIII were kind of massively underwhelming

Polite Tim
Sep 3, 2007

Facepalm Ranger posted:

Is FF14:ARR worth playing on PS3 with a keyboard? Amazon UK has it for under £5

I played it for about a month last summer and I had a great time. There were a few load in issues for quests and NPCs, mainly in the main city areas, but for the most part I never had an issue with it. I did mainly focus on the crafting and gathering side of things, which is chill as gently caress. The cross bar set up for controllers actually works really well, and with a little planning you can set yourself up with all the one button macros you need

Obviously the PS4 and PC versions look better and are better optimised, but the ps3 version is a decent port and worth your time.

Polite Tim
Sep 3, 2007

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

All 3 13 games are coming to steam by Spring was what SE's press release said. And do check out LR, it's actually a fun game to play.

LR is like a pisspoor rip off of Majora's Mask that is actually still quite good in spite of all its downfalls, and I think it has the best combat system out of the three

Polite Tim
Sep 3, 2007

EmmyOk posted:

Gameplay and story would definitely change if Square tried to remake VII from scratch. Please register a Square_Enix account to use Omnislash.

The Cloud jacuzzi gangbang scene wouldn't have the same pathos if it were fully voiced 1080p

Hell maybe they're just waiting for the 20th anniversary of FF7 to announce an iOS and Android remake of 7

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Polite Tim
Sep 3, 2007

Tae posted:

The negative to Bravely Default is that getting the true ending involves replaying the 4 crystal dungeons (not as tedious as it sounds because you can turn off random encounters) like...5 times I think?

Also you can just make a mad dash to the crystal rather than having to do the dungeon all over again. The repetitive nature of the last third of the game may have been a poor design choice, but all the cool little touches in the game make it less painful. Also, considering that bosses give quite a lot of exp and AP, it's basically a way to grind out levels.