Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

So I'm guessing there's no FF13-2 thread?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I missed two live triggers in FF13-2, can I redo the chapter somehow? ughhhhhhh

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Azure_Horizon posted:

You'll get the ability to redo chapters, and it's worth it.

I don't have to redo sidequests too do I? That would stink.

Also who the gently caress chose the music in this game? FF13 was really good in the music department but this is really bad.

at least it looks even better and runs at 1080p now

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

My tv reports 1080p from the game right now, so v:shobon:v

Also how the gently caress is Noel such a strong character when they hosed up everyone else.

I guess it's just another case of Sazh.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Azure_Horizon posted:

The only sidequests you'd have to redo are the ones with the Live Triggers you want to redo, but every sidequest with a Live Trigger that has a differing prize per attempt is easy.

Also, I think the music is some of the best in the series.

I think the music is really bad. Oh bossfight? *some numetal rap rock song comes on* TIME TO GET PUMPED UP FOR THIS AWESOME FI- oh it's over. K.

*some girl sings some indistinct song in the background that even after 20 hours you have no idea what she's saying*

But you're basically saying when you redo a level, you can redo every single thing? I suppose that's nice but as long as it doesn't reset my fragments or something I don't really care. What do you get by getting 160 fragments anyways?

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I've never completed any game but ff13, I could never get into the others that much.

It's really odd that I don't care about the grinding in DQ but in FF I have to trivialize the grinding out because it just distracts me from the story.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I absolutely loathed FF13 but against all odds I'm actually enjoying FF13-2 a lot. I actually want to see how it ends.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

How do I get Yomi to show up? I've tried changing the weather a bunch of times but Tipur only ever says "THANKS now I can sleep soundly"

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Azure_Horizon posted:

It appears during stormy weather but you need the quest opened up first.

I had to leave to the Crux and come back for the quest giver to even give me the quest.

Also:

Whoever designed these minigames in Oderba, and whoever decided that EVERY SINGLE ITERATION OF THIS ZONE HAVE MINIGAMES should be shot and quartered.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Pureauthor posted:

Yeah, the 'thanks for the money suckers' bit doesn't work so well with MMOs.

Not really. See: every failed mmo ever.

Except in the two cases they got picked up by a korean department.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

edit: Im' stupid, disregard.

GreenBuckanneer fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Nov 12, 2012

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Conduit for Sale! posted:

The silliness is what makes the game fun. It's such a weird game, but in all the best ways, unlike FF8 which was weird in all the worst ways.

I miss balls to the wall crazy JRPG plots. I was disappointed with Xenoblade's story because MonolithSoft made the king of insane JRPG plots in the Xenosaga series, but Xenoblade was fairly dull in comparison. Lots of good ideas but put together in a way that made it seem like nothing new.

I suppose I should finish my Xenogears replay...

I'm not. I want a JRPG with the maturity of The Witcher 2. I'm not 10 anymore I'm a grown rear end man.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Failboattootoot posted:

Have you played Nier?

Yup. Nier was loving amazing. More poo poo like that please.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

So I beat FF13-2.

The ending sucks.

I would have been okay about Serah dying, if the rest of the game remained the same. It would make a lot of sense given the theme prior to this. But no, you do everything then right at the last minute Big Evil comes out of nowhere and kills everything. What.

I was glad that Noel at least didn't die first because Noel was loving amazing. It didn't help he wore ACR armor the whole game.

This is what I was talking about wanting a "mature" jrpg, the subject and how things are approached but it still remains lighthearted. This is okay, I didn't mean to imply "gently caress yeah tits and rear end :black101:". I just don't want ff13 angsty goddamn loving poo poo. gently caress that garbage. I mean like I expect it from certain rpgs like Tales games, it's tales games, it's anime. But I want an rpg where the story can hit close to home and not sound like the themes out of a Linkin Park song.

Hope was better, he acted like an adult. It was great. Serah was kind of retarded (I feel like serah was supposed to be The Player)

What happened to Alyssa? Everyone forgot her but Hope said she was still around...

Was it implied that Lightning = Etro? or Serah? It's said that Etro always had a moogle by her side, and mog died when the goddess died.

The secret ending, what was that? Was Caius still alive? Was Yeul? I feel like there was something more to Yeul that wasn't touched on.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

I assume you're aware that Final Fantasy XIII-3 is already announced.

Yes, and I hope to god it fixes the timeline that FF13-2 ended with because it stinks by itself.

Also the combat sounds like a Tales game which I am a-okay with.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Griever posted:

I'm playing through XIII-2 at the moment and I am loving it so far, but I've yet to see the supposedly terrible ending. It's just so much better than XIII in every way that it almost (only almost) redeems XIII in my eyes. Just don't take it too seriously and try to enjoy the vastly improved combat system and monster mechanics.
I kinda bought most of the DLC despite originally being annoyed that it wasn't in the game by default. I justified it by waiting for the game to drop in price and using the savings to basically pay squeenix directly.
Who doesn't love Gilgamesh? Wrong people, that's who.

I was like you, then the ending happened.

Speaking of which, I just saw Chapter 0 of FF13, you know, the prologue thing? It's pretty good. I am majorly bummed that they only did the voice work on the first of FIVE parts. I don't feel like reading lately and I love the voice acting for this series.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Winks posted:

At least the ending let's us have another game :unsmith:

I feel like 13-3 wont come out till 2015 when the PS4 is out :(

I hope it comes out soon, I need more of this story. I never thought I'd say that.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Krad posted:

This is why everyone should get all the coliseum DLC battles and beat them without a guide. The're all pretty awesome, especially good ol' Gilgamesh.

Gilgamesh hits like a truck and he's a goddamn dick.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Why is it that every endgame level in FF recently has to have behemoths all over the place? It's just padding, it isn't fun after a few times.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

WendigoJohnson posted:

It doesn't matter what their written age is, it's the fact that they LOOK like literal children.

Yeah man, all asians look 12 years old! /sarcasm

1st AD posted:

I really enjoyed playing Xenogears until it became a 10 hour infodump, but the first Xenosaga is a really confusing and frankly upsetting game to play. A bunch of random poo poo happens and it seems to only appeal to massive anime fans or people who were dumb enough to think that it'd be as fun as Xenogears (like me).

Did the series get any better?

I love xenosaga but frankly, if you don't like :techno: and/or Old Star Trek episodes (as I do) you'll probably hate it. I however love scifi technobabble and soak that up like a sponge (hate poo poo like firefly venomously)

Regardless, 1 is decent but clunky. In terms of story and combat it's better than most rpgs imo. Skip II. namco is loving retarded and was like "well we didn't sell #1 in europe, lets sell it there with #2 but the sales were poor because we were trying to compete at the same time as FFX came out, so that means we gotta make it more ACTIONY!" Then sales of II were poor so they said gently caress it to europe again and tried going back to being more like #1 which they should have goddamn done in the first place. Also at this point they gave up. It was supposed to be six games, not 3. That being said, #3 is the best Xenosaga by far in terms of combat, though the story suffers from them having to shove it all in one game.

NikkolasKing posted:

Well everyone always complains that JRPG protagonists are too young. Ziggy is over a 100, chaos is some ridiculous age, Jin was in his thirties, I think Jr. was something like around late 20s and then you had Shion who was early 20s. Only MOMo was really young.
SPOILERS, Chaos is literally Jesus Christ and Jr looked the way he did because of genetic engineering, Ziggy died and was put back together. Momo is also genetically engineered to look like his dead daughter (probably forever), and Kos-Mos and Shion are Mary Magdalene and that other woman reincarnated.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

As someone who played only Xenosaga 2 I still have no idea how this happens and I don't want to know

2 is really awful. It has an "okay" story but the combat is horrendous.

The mech combat in 3 is pretty fun/badass and there's nothing much I can compare to it in the jrpg front.

As for the characters, the director really really loves gnosticism. It's a cool premise for games if you ask me.

Anyways I just wanted to respond to that post a few pages back but couldn't at the time. :shobon:

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

TurnipFritter posted:

Isn't it actually dumber like chaos isn't Jesus but his presence is what lets Jesus perform miracles?

No, his old name was Yeshua, which is what jews would call Jesus of Nazareth. So yeah, he's Jesus Christ. It was the power of Anima that allowed him to work his magic. It was also because of Anima's power that the crusades happened in the first place.

GreenBuckanneer fucked around with this message at 07:56 on Dec 27, 2012

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Cityinthesea posted:

I disliked 13 but I really did like 13-2, I thought it was great.

Me too!

13-2, for a sequel to the world's worst final fantasy game actually does a lot of things right that 13 did wrong.

It's no Xenoblade, but this is pretty much what I thought of 13-2

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I suppose I'm weird that I enjoyed the story. Then again, I eat up technobabble and "lore" things. I suppose "setting things right" just hits the right kind of OCD itch for me.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Oxxidation posted:

It's literally the case in FFXIII. The ending is the result of the Maker, which has never established any concrete presence in the game up to this point, waving its hand and fixing all the bad problems. It's probably the clearest example of a deus ex machina in the last decade. That is classical deus ex machina right there.

I'd say the mass effect 3 ending is exactly the same in this regard.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

That loving Sned posted:

For the star of an entire trilogy, Lightning hasn't had anything close to what you'd call character development. Does the game even explain how she keeps getting these jobs like Time Goddess, or Grim Reaper, when in the first game she was just a normal soldier?

I can imaging Square releasing Final Fantasy VII-2, where Cloud is the janitor of time, wearing a gimp suit, or X-3 where Wakka becomes president of Spira, and dressed in assless chaps.

In ff13-2 they say how she got her "job"

When the god intervened, chaos sweeped her away and she ended up in valhalla. She saw the god's chair and went "holy gently caress" and prayed in front of it wanting to help and the goddess granted her weird powers.

Then nothing happens other than exposition by serah.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

The only thing I don't like about it is they don't use the aoe skills enough. Even setting it to multiple doesn't do it enough because it doesn't bother unless there's like over 3 enemies. It's overkill but its fun to oneshot groups

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Azure_Horizon posted:

The reason he wants to prevent Noel and Serah's time fuckery is based on its central conceit: that affecting the future affects the past. Time in the Fabula Nova Crystallis universe works both backwards and forwards -- all events affect all other events, from the past, to the present, to the future. Instead of real-world physics, which would state that future time alteration would have no effect on events prior, due to the way the Invisible and Visible worlds interact with one another, time has its own doppler effect that ripples back in on itself.

RE: Time

I actually really like this concept and think it should be used more often. We think of time as a straight line, or multiple straight lines intersecting with each other ala string theory. However, what if time was in fact, a loop, a big mobius strip?

The complexity you could reach would be fun.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

ProfessorProf posted:

No Blitzball run!

Why would you ever want to play blitzball.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Winks posted:

Not really?

And I'm sure the paradigm shift ATB thing was mentioned in a tutorial like that because otherwise I wouldn't have known.

See the thing is, lots of people just go "YEAH OKAY I CAN FIGURE IT OUT THANKS"

Then get all mad when they do something wrong.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

victrix posted:

13-2 was an abomination. I'm not even going to spend the words to describe all the reasons it was awful.

victrix posted:

Ironically I went in to 13 expecting to tolerate it at best and came out enjoying it on the other end. 13-2 was the opposite experience.

Uhm, all the reasons the combat sucked in 13 were mostly fixed in 13-2, at least the bad parts anyways. The reasons were stated by other posters pretty succinctly.

victrix posted:

I did rush through and still had a stupidly, mindlessly easy time.
Welcome to most rpgs I guess??

Head Hit Keyboard posted:

If oyu actually have to take 10 minutes to kill normal enemies in 13 you're doing something wrong.

Except for Long Gui.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Whenever I rebuy my ps3 i'm likely going to get ff13-3 even though it looks like it took two steps back for every step forward ff13-2 took

also because it's the only final fantasy games I've ever beaten.

Played FF7 till the train graveyard before I put it down and never went back.
Then years later tried again. Made it to the boss.
Years later tried again on steam and used a bunch of mods so it didn't look like poo poo. Made it to the first savepoint.

Ugh. I wish the older games didn't feel like pulling teeth.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Infinity Gaia posted:

What I meant by different outfits is something I read in Split Infinity's FAQ (I couldn't find an item for a certain quest no matter how hard I looked), that says after like, hang on lemme just copy paste it:

Note: if you fight Noel on Day 7 or later, he will be called Noel Kreiss+. His outfit is different, he has higher stats and drops a different weapon upon defeat.

Apparently that is in fact a thing.

I scrolled over this like an idiot.

Is Noel seriously an enemy you have to fight, and is it just a temporary thing in terms of the story, because Noel was the best goddamn thing to happen to this trilogy.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Fight Club Sandwich posted:

that's correct; 13 does away with all the "fluff" like towns, NPCs, minigames, etc. Another common complaint was that the battle system was too difficult (for an ff game) and that there was no way to break the game and become stupid powerful.

13-2 was the exact opposite and included all the non-linearity and JRPG fluff that gamers blasted 13 for lacking, and was also a terrible game, go figure.

Uh. You're welcome to your opinion, but it's also the wrong opinion. Everything about FF13-2 was a step up on ff13.
- Less annoying characters
- characters that used to be annoying aren't anymore
- noel.
- noel's voice actor
- story is interesting, then again scifi technobabble = :gizz:
- combat is still really boring and terrible but it's fast, and it's easy to overlevel everything and just one shot things, which is good because the least amount of time spent in combat, the happier I am.
- minigames are okay.
- arena thing was okay, i don't really care for arenas.

Tempo 119 posted:

The bundle pack is $17 for everything except the assassin/N7 outfits and the useless preorder weapons.

So it's basically an EA game then. Or an Activision game. The outfits do nothing except look nice iirc (and they actually worked in cutscenes, which I liked), the rest could be missed with no real loss.

Really the biggest problem is the story trying to be more clever than it is because of the writer, the linearity of level design, the characters being weak (again because of the writer), the whole "well, we want a turn based rpg but we also don't want it to be real time, lets do this and ignore that people have designed RTwP games in the west (because the west doesn't exist)". I had another thing but I've gone and forgotten.

Pesky Splinter posted:

*Cutscene Starts*
"We've got to keep running!"
"Yeah!"
*Fight*
*Cutscene Starts*
"Yeah!"
*Fight*
*Cutscene Starts*
"Yeah!"
*Fight*

Ad fractum discus. :shepface:

XIII-2 is better in this regard, and judging from what's been said about Lightning Returns, that's also looking to better in that area also.

The worst, the worst poo poo was when you watched a long cutscene, they gave control back to you, your character is in a new place now. You move your character forward (the only direction available) not even 2 feet and suddenly you're in another big cutscene. Really, what was even the point of giving me control if you're just going to take it away again? It's like one big cocktease.

GreenBuckanneer fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Feb 10, 2014

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Great Lakes Log posted:

People are also forgetting that XIII-2 is a game with graded QTEs where meaningless numbers get bigger the better you time button presses. It's such a stupid, dumb game.

But the QTEs aren't like "you fail, do the whole thing over"

The first qte you do if you do them right, it takes a ton of damage off the boss. But the game itself is so easy it doesn't matter if you hit them or not.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Capsaicin posted:

I'm playing 13-2 right now. I just finished the first time area. Am I good to just go through whatever gate? I'm not sure I follow how I'm supposed to go through the story. :confused:

Also, I'll never get tired of the song that just yells out "TIME AND SPACE" over and over.

poo poo. Now I have to relisten to the soundtrack which was awesome.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

My favorite tracks from ff13-2 are probably: (no real order, mostly the most iconic)

Knight of the goddess
Paradox
Run
Noel's Theme
The Song Written in Time
Ruined Hometown
Plains of Eternity
Crazy Chocobo (for the horrible attempt at melodic/thrash death metal)
The Last Travel (amazing)

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4CtEQ3GYCao

Ironically this is like 15? hours in the game.

They just slip little nuggets of story in the game as it goes on.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

dreffen posted:

That seems unfair. I didn't like Mystic Quest!

What's Mystic Quest? Sounds Mystic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Are any of the FF games on android worth bothering with?