Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

I'm really bummed there isn't an FFV update. FFIVCC on PSP is such a beautiful game, and FFV is one of my favorite in the whole series.

... it's also the only one I haven't beaten :eng99: I've gone through it three times, and all three times, I've lost my save file in one manner or another. The most recent attempt was FFV on the GBA, and I still have the game... but my I broke my DSLite and my DSXL doesn't play GBA games :saddowns:

And echoing all sentiments about recent FF games. I don't think its purely a matter of getting older, because I still love a lot of the older FF games (as in, played them in the last few years, still enjoyed them, not nostalgia speaking). And I'm not averse to newish jrpgs either (Tales of Vesperia was a great game). FF13/2 though? Yeuuuuch. FF13-3? Ugh. I'm actually somewhat interested in the FF14 reboot, but a subscription fee kills that entirely.

Nu-Square did give me Tactics Ogre, so I guess I can't hate them entirely, because goddamn I love some Matsuno games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

I really enjoyed 2. Some awesome music too. Game systems are a little wonky, but not that bad depending on version.

3... I couldn't tell you the first thing about it even after beating it, other than remembering the DS version was hideously ugly.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

SpitefulHammer posted:

Is FF12 worth playing? I don't tend to see it mentioned a lot as far as favorite FF's go.

Thinking of picking it up, but not sure. I loved all the FFT games, 6,7 and 9 - with 9 being my favorite; but I hate 8 and especially 10. So with that in mind, do you think I'd like 12?

I adore 12. It's hard to give you a comparison to other FFs though, because its kind of its own thing. If you like Matsuno's other games (Tactics Ogre, FFT, Vagrant Story, etc), you might be predisposed to like it more, simply because the story is his.

Speaking of the story, essentially you can lop off everything about Vaan in the beginning and the last 5-10% of the game and you have a coherent story focused on a bunch of non teenage characters. It feels like the other stuff was slapped on there in the interest of having a 'relatable teenage icon' and 'a classic final villain'.

Not that Vaan is horrible or anything, it's just funny that the story is all about Ashe, Basche, Balthier, empire, and various other happenings, not the wanderings of sky pirate wannabe boy.

The gameplay, as far as moment to moment stuff goes, is pretty easy. However, if you decide to tackle the (entirely optional) side job hunts, you will quickly find yourself thrown into fights that will kick your rear end until you figure out how to crack them. Hunting down and defeating all of the Espers and the various big game hunts was a ton of fun, and you can do as little or as much of it as you want.

I didn't have a problem with the basic combat though, because I've always found FF normal combat to be somewhere between 'easy' and 'really easy', so automating bunny bashing wasn't a negative to me - ymmv.

Also the game looks a hell of a lot like FF11 offline, which might be good or bad depending on your experiences there.

If you can swing it, and this is a bit of a pain in the rear end, tracking down the JP only International Zodiac Job edition and the fan patch/translation dealy and applying it to the english copy is well worth the hassle. It has some nice gameplay tweaks, classic specific job boards, and a speedup feature that owns.

One step more on the pain in the rear end scale, if you have a pc capable of it, playing it on PCSX2 emulated is amazing. I mean like Xenoblade levels of "Holy poo poo, how high res were these textures?".

For all that, I still enjoyed the vanilla playthrough on my PS2 just fine, but when I replayed it recently, I did all of the above and played it emulated, translated, and on my tv with a ps3 pad piped from my pc and loved it :v:

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

It guts me that they have such stunning talent and they managed to kill so much good will (and so many potentially good games).

Games like the Tactics Ogre rerelease give me some hope for the future. Hell, even Nomura (He Who I Hate) did good with Dissidia, which is an awesome fanservice game - letting their devs work to their strengths instead of meddling or letting people who have no business near mainline games would make me a lot happier.

But I guess if their japanese fans are satisfied with their recent direction, they don't care. Lightning returns. Ugh.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

I don't think there's any 'would' about it - the other characters are the main protagonists, Vaan is just your introduction to the world. Penelo is completely pointless.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

The GIG posted:

However, III gave us Onion Knight in Dissidia and he kicks so much rear end.

This is true

Personally I liked the PSX version of FF2, so whatever current version clones that one. The music is just amazing in places, and I had a good time playing through it. If the PSP version is as awesome as the FF4 remake, and has the good music, get that one.

FF3 can basically die in a fire though, I beat the DS version and I can't remember anything about it except 'that was kind of boring and annoying'. Also DS 3d graphics are a horrible eyesore. They dampen my enthusiasm for 4 Hats Of Light, which is an otherwise :3: game

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Suaimhneas posted:

You can't be bad at grinding! You either do it or you don't. Expecting to kill the final boss without having to grind isn't being bad at anything, it's just expecting the game to be reasonable. :v:

I really don't know that I ever learned this throughout my childhood. Like him, I think I just assumed that I was bad at games because I couldn't beat TMNT or Battletoads :v:

(still a possibility)

I'm sure there's a life lesson buried in there somewhere.

I do remember beating FF1 being completely awesome, and that was with that super cool Nintendo Power guide telling me how to do everything :v:

I somehow missed FF2/4 when it came out though, I didn't play it for the first time until like the year 2000. And I thought it was awesome! (still is really, I've been playing the PSP version on and off, which is great).

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

You can't really gently caress up classes, but keep in mind that you cannot change them later, and there's 6 party members/12 jobs or whatever, so look them over a bit and figure out who you want to take what ahead of time

It's pretty much the exact opposite of vanilla ff12, where you can make everyone everything :v:

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

The dino is there to teach you exactly what you learned - don't attack everything. A fair number of areas in the game have nasty poo poo that will faceplant you if you attack it too early in the game (hello elementals!).

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

The TO thread appears to have been archived, so I'll ask here:

I'm about to finish chapter 3 in TO on the lawful path. I just discovered that I can 'feed' one of my generics to one of my uniques by killing them off and then using a silver coin.

Are there any uniques that are suddenly going to get executed and removed from my party due to plot in C4? It'd suck to transfer all that xp over and then lose them permanently.

I'm currently working on transferring an Archer to Arycelle, and a Swordmaster to Hobyrim.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Ross posted:

So does everyone hate FF ATB?

I kind of like it but I seem to be in the very small minority there.

I hate it and I wish they'd have done something cooler with it all at the same time

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Ross posted:

Yeah with some small tweaks I think it could be really great, which is unfortunate.

A summary of SE's recent output in one line

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

And status effects have a long and glorious history of being either loving Useless or Assumed To Be Used (ie, the fight is tuned with the expectation that the mob will be slowed/poisoned/silenced/whatever).

Status effects in general can be used for some interesting gameplay effects, but in my experience, they're very often a pointless waste of time compared to just killing poo poo. This is almost always true for popcorn mobs, sometimes less so for boss fights.

There have been games that have used them well. Combining status effects with meaningful damage is always a big help, because choosing between dubiously useful status effects and raw damage is usually a no brainer.

I find that srpgs tend to be a better medium for them, given the length of battles (and even there a lot of the minor effects are pretty useless compared to, again, raw damage).

The better designed games let you use them to hit above your weight class and progress more quickly or smoothly.

Final Fantasy has never been a series I've considered to have important status effects, even though many of the games let you use them to cheese various encounters and bosses if you know the right combination.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

We need a jrpg with an evil mercantile group as a standin for an evil corporation. WE OWN ALL HORSE CART TRAFFIC HERE HEROES.

Also from all the games I've played, western games seem far more reluctant than eastern ones to touch on anything resembling the catholic church, for a variety of reasons. Though, ironically, they'll tackle it in a more 'realistic' manner, just usually not a fantasy one (see: Total War/Crusader Kings papacy silliness). Also most generic heaven/hell stuff is ultra, ultra hammy (Diablo, Painkiller, Dante's Inferno, Doom, et al).

I can't actually think of a game that's handled religion with any significant degree of intelligence. I'm sure there are some!

And Bayonetta gets props for the best western angels in a game :v:

victrix fucked around with this message at 08:53 on Jan 29, 2013

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Subscription fee :|

If it's really loving good, the final fantasy nerd in me will succumb for at least a month or two, but I just can't justify them anymore - too many awesome games are free, or free with pay stuff that doesn't bother me a whit.

I hope it is good though, FF14 was the biggest waste of animators, artists, musicians, and other creative talent I've seen in a long time :(

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

I wish someone could/would do a Let's Play of FFXI because I would like to see the story. I don't know if it would be possible.

I think you can find all of the plot scenes chronologically in some youtube playlists.

I actually did try the FF11-for-story thing about a year or two ago. It didn't go well. The game is more 'friendly' than it was once upon a time, but it was still an unfriendly slog.

And as is the case with all old mmos,the entire playerbase assumes you know everything, which made playing a real chore.

Ironically I never did go check for the whole story on youtube v:v:v

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

I think there's a music patch for it as well, though I don't know the details

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Eggie posted:

Right now, what I want most out of Final Fantasy is a coherent, decent story. There are a few reasons why the series has become such a laughing stock, but I think the stupid stories of FF13 and FF13-2 (and a few of the older games) have hurt general opinion of the franchise the most. Character design is another problem, but if a game has a good story I think people would overlook ridiculous character design (to a point).

I wonder what Joe Gamer thinks of FF13. Those cutscenes have to cause laughter and disc tossing within minutes for people without jrpg tolerance.

Voiced animated cutscenes have not been kind to jrpgs in general, they exposed all sorts of horrible stories and writing in a very unflattering manner. Combine with localization problems and... yeah.

I'm sure FF15 will be much better :downs:

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Ulio posted:

Started playing FFXII for the first time, so far the story looks interesting despite nothing being revealed. The combat is completely different from any other FF I've played, is this like XIII where you need to get 10 hours in before the combat becomes interesting?

Yes - it has a pretty slow start, but it picks up once you get your party filled out.

If you can, play it emulated - the textures are amazingly high res, which is totally lost on the PS2.

One lovely thing about the original version compared to the japan only zodiac job version is that the gambits that you need to do interesting stuff are gated - you don't get them all till later in the game. The ZJ version gives you them all right away.

Still, you don't actually need them for some time - as far as difficulty goes otherwise, normal combat is basically 'autoattack and win' in the same way that normal FF combat is usually 'press attack and win'.

This changes for all of the special fights - if you go out of your way to pursue elite hunts (or tackle monsters out of your league), you can and will need to figure out a specific strategy and execute it to win.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Does anyone here know how well FFTA 1/2 were received in Japan?

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

I finished FF3 and I can't remember a drat thing about it

Also DS 3d graphics are loving hideous. Like PS1 era eye gouging horror.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Seriously - in ZJ you must pick 6 classes out of 12, you cannot change them later, and all of their boards are different

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

For anyone who hasn't touched Dissidia, I'd recommend giving it a shot. I dislike Nomura design stuff in general, but it works really well for a fan service game like this.

And the game is loaded with fan service. Every item name, every character, the huge variety of music, the stages, everything.

On top of that, Duodecim includes the entire first Dissidia game, so buy that, not the first one!

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Depends on how well it sold, I haven't heard anything about it. I believe the people behind it are pretty busy with other FF stuff right now though.

And yes - every character in the game is full featured. Basically it's just a question of who you enjoy playing. A lot of characters change significantly when you unlock more of their moveset, so its worth playing them all for awhile until you get a better feel for how they actually function with unlocked + upgraded moves.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

The GIG posted:

I think the devs said they are done with Dissidia in that form. I would love to have another game that plays like Dissidia though.

I think its a pretty impressive achievement actually - the combat is remarkably deep for what amounts to a 3d action fighting game, and on the PSP no less. It does give me some hope that they have a clue when it comes to the action rpg turn that FF seems to be taking.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

The GIG posted:

I'd love to see what they could do with a Dissidia game on a home console.

The lifelong chant of monster hunter players everywhere

Given Kingdom Hearts and Type 0, I don't think we've seen the last of Dissidia. Doubly so since I think one of the studio heads was quoted as saying something along the lines of 'we'd be dumb to ignore the popularity of action rpgs'. I sort of wonder if he was referencing Dark Souls to some extent.

I don't know how I feel about that, but I guess we'll find out when FF15 is shown :v:

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Just reset your PSP clock, you can have bonus day 100% of the time

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Has a goon ever done an LP of Romancing Saga: Minstrel Song?

Off all of Kawazu's crazy bullshit, that game was the closest to being comprehensible, on account of having a good UI, translation, localization, etc. Plus some really great music and fun combat.

Naturally, the quest/world/character system was utterly insane.

I played through it with three of the characters a long time ago, but I never saw quite a bit of content (at least one of the other endings, three or more super bosses, plus who knows what else).

This brought on by stumbling across the hilarity of an Unlimited Saga tutorial video series on youtube.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Zombies' Downfall posted:

I bought it new shortly after it came out and have played it for a grand total of 2 hours.

A summary of Kawazu game experiences.

I confess to not understanding why the japanese love his games. They consistently sell well.

I enjoyed Romancing Saga probably from a mix of some nostalgia for the PS1 RS titles (first one was incomprehensible, wildly so, second one was beautiful and terrible to play) and the fact that I actually liked the combat.

And some awesome music and battles. The last boss was actually one of the tougher rpg battles I've ever completed, he actually killed me several times before I cracked it (I'm 99% certain this is due to a lack of understanding of some game system or another :v:)

But yeah, pick the wrong character and the beginning will be too hard, too slow, or too boring.

Romancing Saga is downright pedestrian in comparison to Unlimited Saga though.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Saga games are annoying because they present intriguing worlds and interesting gameplay mechanics

... at first glance

Then you try to actually play them and nothing makes any loving sense and the only people who understand them are nerd savants writing five hundred page faqs

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Aureon posted:

xbox version sucked, but pc version is up there with square's best works, even if the plot is even worse than usual.

I picked up the PC version during xmas sale for a few bucks - I played it a bit, but it was, as ever, confusing.

The little reading I did indicated that you can screw yourself over by fighting too much/too little, crafting/not crafting weapons for teammates who will automatically upgrade badly and gently caress you over, I don't know.

I gave up and went back to playing other poo poo, I'll try it again at some point :v:

I sort of admire Square's dedication to bringing Kawazu's crazy bullshit over here, after so many lukewarm receptions... that dude must have some serious pull inside the company.

I know they sell well in japan, but it seems weird that they'd pay the expense of full localization for something like that and not, I don't know, FF12 IZJS or something.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

We need to set up a Kawazu challenge week.

Everyone plays one of Saga Frontier 1 or 2, Unlimited Saga, Romancing Saga: Minstrel Song, or The Last Remnant.

Winner is the last one still playing in a month or so :v:

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

I've finished all those games. :smith:

I'm not sure if I should shake your hand or pat you on the back

I finished RS and enjoyed it, beat maybe one story in SF1, maybe, didn't finish SF2, US uh yeah, and haven't played TLR really yet.

I did beat FFL2 a long time ago and thought it was pretty awesome at the time :v:

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

drat shame too, PSP is/was miles better than the Nintendo alternatives on a technical level, but it was fighting an uphill battle the whole way. Name recognition, price, fragility, memory card prices, UMDs, and the social factor - in japan, local wifi is a huge and common thing (look at all the loving streetpass games on the DS that were near useless im america), so stuff like Monster Hunter is enormous over there, but has no traction over here, simply due to population density issues.

The damage from that and the PS3 missteps really hammered the Vita, and that's even more of a shame because that is a monster of a system for a stupidly cheap price, even accounting for the dumb sony memory stick prices.

So yeah, the PSP market over here is definitely a factor, you can bet their accountants were looking at the cost vs returns.

But given that it's a final fantasy game, it will eventually get some sort of translation I'm sure - the fact that you can literally buy an american FF12, a japanese FF12 ZJ and meld the two with a crazy iso patch and then play it on your ps2 or an emulator is ridiculous and awesome.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

So the japanese version of level scaling is what you're saying :v:

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

I think the internet, as much as any game design changes, have made rpgs and single player games in general a lot easier.

That isn't to say they're all *hard* necessarily, just that they're hilariously easy if you're aware of various ways to break the game ahead of time.

Difficulty through obscurity isn't really great design anyway (hello again Kawazu!), so its probably for the best really.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Kyrosiris posted:

Source: FFV algorithm guide, section 10.15 (Dragoon commands)

Why did this make me laugh

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Vermain posted:

It can't be worse than the gigantic FAQ (which I'm pretty sure is still on GameFAQs) that contains every single combat algorithm for Breath of Fire 2, a game not exactly notable for the expansiveness of its combat.

There are systems faqs for the Saga games, I checked recently with all the Kawazu chatter. They're enormous, detailed, and in some cases, include fan translated material from the japanese ultimania guides.

One of the ones for Saga Frontier was a deconstruction of the game code. It was also from within the last few years, and I'm pretty sure that game came out in the late 90s.

Never underestimate Square fans!

Also since I was considering tackling that Kawazu challenge idea, I went and looked up some videos on youtube. The playthrough videos I found? Made by the same guy who did the tutorial videos for the game. What was he doing in the random video I picked? Running the game in an emulator so he could spam savestates to farm money and rare spells. (This was an upgrade from the tutorial videos where he explained some concept involving using two memory cards to swap quicksaves or something to do the same thing, only much, much slower).

Note that I have nothing against cheating, it's the hilarious inefficiency of it that cracked me up - if you're going to cheat, cheat! Don't waste hours of your (and your viewers) time with stupid save state abuse, just hack the drat thing!

Game looks pretty drat unappealing though, I gotta say. I dug out my copy and it, much like FF12 looks pretty loving nice in an emulator (nice high res sprites), but the actual gameplay...

edit: I also have no idea where my copies of SF1/2 are. I'm not actually sure I still own SF2, I found it really offputting. I do have Last Remnant on Steam. Why do I own all of Kawazu's games :eng99:

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Mana is a horrible series propped up by nostalgia, great music, and charming graphics.

I say this as someone who played all of SoM coop years ago and personally love Legend of Mana.

They're janky as gently caress, the gameplay is crappy, and with a few exceptions, most of the series is pretty lovely. The last few games in particular were just awful.

Had they somehow infused a game like LoM with some smooth 2d combat and made the absurdly complex subsystems relevant somehow, it could have been incredible, but that never happened.

The creators output at his new studio after he left Square doesn't say anything impressive either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

FF12 is very close to my favorite FF - it would unequivocally be my favorite with a few tweaks. Though I suppose it's more accurate to say it's one of my favorite games simply because its another Matsuno piece, and I adore all of his games (How I wish Ashley Riot was in FFT: WotL, but we'll probably never see another Vagrant Story. I can be happy with Tactics Ogre PSP at least :unsmith:)

It's very much an aberration when compared alongside the rest of the mainline series, and I can definitely see a lot of reasons why people wouldn't like it.

That said, playing it emulated with IZJS patched is a real serious treat. It looks beautiful, you have instant speedup at your fingertips for boring grinding, classes are defined, and that just leaves either plowing the main story in high res, or tackling all the tough optional content at your leisure. Either way a good time.

And god drat but I love me some Smith and company translations. It's verbal honey for me. Another thing I know some people don't like, but tough, I'll love my language and you can love whatever it is you love about FF13, you weirdo :colbert: