Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DeathBySpoon
Dec 17, 2007

I got myself a paper clip!
So I'm a few battles into FFT on the PSP and this is my first time playing it. Am I supposed to be rehiring my party after almost every battle, or am I just really bad at this? Ramza and the story characters are pretty much the only ones who survive each battle, with the hired squires just acting as meat shields. I just finished the battle in the woods after ditching castle guard duty- am I setting myself up for failure in the late game, or is that how early battles tend to go? Any other tips are greatly appreciated, although I already read the before I play entry on it. Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeathBySpoon
Dec 17, 2007

Welp, I'm an idiot- I was having trouble with the game because I didn't know I could push Triangle on the stat screen to change jobs / abilities / etc. Thanks everyone for the advice, I started over and I'm doing much much better this time.

DeathBySpoon
Dec 17, 2007

TurnipFritter posted:

Don't feel bad, the first time I played I didn't realize you could select other units to dispatch by pressing L/R on the pre-battle formation screen.

I actually quit the game as a kid because of this. I tried so hard to beat that first battle with just Ramza :(

DeathBySpoon
Dec 17, 2007

Been playing FF9 for the first time, and I just got to the second disc with exactly 8 hours on the clock. Am I misremembering the other PS1 Final Fantasy games from playing them as a kid, or was the first disc way shorter on 9? I would have been done in a lot less than 8 hours if I hadn't done any grinding to beat the boss in the cave with the bells or caught all those drat frogs. I just feel like I'm still in the intro, while I remember 7 and 8 seemed to have been pretty far into the plot by the time disc 1 was up.

DeathBySpoon
Dec 17, 2007

Maybe it's just because the end of disc 1 is so much more memorable in 7 and 8. FF7 has Aries dying and FF8 has the assassination, both of which seemed like the plot was really starting to get going. FF9 introduced a dude in a codpiece after the easiest battle I've had so far.

Anyways, about disc 2- so now I'm in control of my other set of characters, except the last time I used them my party was about level 6. So now, after spending a few hours at the end of disc 1 getting my party up to 14, I'm back at level 6 with these other characters and the monster levels seem to assume I'd be a lot higher. Did I mess up how I build my party or something, or is this back and forth how it usually plays out? It's frustrating being way back to such a low level just because the game took characters away from my party. Its weird, because in the dungeon (the one in Treno), most battles end with just one person alive and almost no HP, while in the overworld I one-hit enemies and get like 10 exp. Does the game get better about this? I enjoy the characters and worldbuilding a lot so far, but this section is really getting frustrating.

DeathBySpoon
Dec 17, 2007

The White Dragon posted:

You... turn into an abominable fusion of Shiki, Neku, Joshua, and Skateboard Zell? Or is this just Nomura being completely unable to craft original characters again?

Pretty sure that's what Shiki actually looks like- it's said ingame that her appearance is that of her best friend because she idolized her so much.

DeathBySpoon
Dec 17, 2007

TWEWY: I was mostly going off the stuffed animal, but I don't know either way

In regards to FF9 leveling, should I give any attention at all to Marcus or is he going to leave my party with whatever gear I give him?

DeathBySpoon
Dec 17, 2007

NikkolasKing posted:

Mazed at the very least will know what I'm talking about but who would have ever thought Allen would be the perfect voice for Kefka.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GUNLwlenkh0&t=74s

Teddie Kefka is the best Dissidia character.

I actually agree about FF9's music not being as memorable, though- I'm playing through it RIGHT NOW, at about 30 hours in on Disc 3, and I couldn't remember the boss theme at all. I usually pay a lot of attention to game music, too. Its good music, it just doesn't stand out to me the same way as something like The Landing, Force Your Way, or Terra's Theme. Also, this is the best ATE in FF9 because of the music:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9IwDkM5uDSs&t=8s

DeathBySpoon
Dec 17, 2007

I gave up on Tactics most of the way through Chapter 2 because it felt like the story was all happening elsewhere and I had to take notes to figure out what on earth was going on. I don't remember names well, especially when I have no faces or images to associate them with, so I felt like I jumped into a medieval soap opera halfway through season 2. I enjoyed A2 a lot more because I felt like I wasn't missing anything by ignoring the story. With Tactics, it seemed like a bunch of cool stuff was happening, but it was impossible to follow because the story had so many different offscreen NPCs doing stuff that you never saw, all of which were important to the plot. Also the battles are incredibly slow. I really liked the general mechanics of it all, it just didn't give me any reason to keep going.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeathBySpoon
Dec 17, 2007

Does anyone have a link to a good explanation of XIII's ending? I plan on moving on to XIII-2 and LR soon, but I'm pretty confused about everything past the first fight of the final sequence.