Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Speaking of the Fiesta, they've almost reached their goal of raising $2k, and there's still two whole months to go. That's pretty great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

ImpAtom posted:

FFXIII doesn't have good writing to begin with but everything I've seen from FFXIII's translation appears overly-literal and stilted. It's 'translated' but with no effort made beyond that, so things that really should have been altered or clarified or cleaned up are not. It's like it was translated by a robot. It also appears to have been voiced directed by a robot whose job was "mimic the Japanese direction exactly" which is the stupidest possible voice direction in the history of mankind.

It can't be helped.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Happy Blue Cow posted:

I seriously had no idea when "taken back, uncrystalled, forced to be leader (Primarch, instead of Barty)" was ever explained or showcased :negative:

Well see if you read around a little and seek out some of the subtler clues it all makes perfect sense! A masterpiece of its time.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Ugato posted:

There are a few that don't carry over actually. Two-handed from Knight doesn't, while the Dual Wield ability does from Ninja. MP/HP +X% doesn't carry over, etc.

The ones that carry over are the ones that come with the class with 0 AP. That's why Two Handed doesn't carry over, because a brand new knight doesn't get it. Dual Wield does because a brand new ninja has it.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

The summons in FF8 are no more hidden than unique equipment that you can steal in other games. The chests in FF12 are kind of lovely but the Zodiac Spear is just like the Excalibur II in FF9, sure it's the best weapon in the game but it's far from a necessity.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

FF12 definitely had instances where you could get weapons you shouldn't have yet, Zodiac Spear being the most famous example. You could try some hunts at low levels too, I got the Gilgamesh equipment earlier than you're supposed to but it took some effort.

Yeah, if you have a guide to help you out, you can easily break the game early on. Before you even get party members beyond Vaan, you can:

-Grab a rod (33 power) from a random chest with a very good chance of spawning.
-Repeatedly kill a rare undead mob with phoenix downs for easy levels.
-Steal a gladius (45 power, wind element) from another easy rare mob.
-Kill werewolves (you know, the big mean guys that you're not supposed to be able to kill at all) for more levels and a kotetsu (50 power)
-Get to level 30 before you pick up more party members, making the rest of your party level 31 and 32.

By the time you have a full party you're supposed to be level ~15 and have weapons slightly weaker than the rod you picked up at the start. And then once you're done with Raithwall you can go grab the Zodiac Spear and the game is over.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Mill Village posted:

The Gambit system lets you control literally everything, so I've never understood that argument.

B-b-b-but the GAME PLAYS ITSELF! This is totally different from mashing X until the random encounter is over! :negative:

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Well personally I don't think it automates enough. I'd like to be able to get really creative and fully program my party's behavior. Throw some nested for loops in there or something.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Pablo Gigante posted:

I finished the FFV4JF last week and I was amazed how low my party's levels were at the end of the game - between 30-35. Probably the lowest I've beaten an FF game at (besides FFVIII but that's a whole other level of breakable).

That's pretty standard for FF5, even a normal playthrough. Higher levels give you marginally lower returns in the form of damage output, since it just increases your multiplier and it should already be pretty high when you reach the 30s. Besides, in a normal run you have chemists that can boost your level as high as you want.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

IZJS is cool, but to play it you either need to know Japanese, or get your hands on both an English and Japanese copy AND have a good enough computer to run a PS2 emulator.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

They also for whatever reason tried to make every class roughly equal, while in the original game all but two classes were explicitly meant to be obsolete at some point. Which is just dumb, there's way too many classes for them to all be worth the same, and it's pointless because there's no way to carry over abilities like in FF5.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Idioteque Dance posted:

At the Interdimensional Rift now and my party's levels are higher than the people who've completed the game (at 38-39 now), so I'm banking on this whole final part not being too difficult... what are the suggested levels for the two optional bosses?

Levels aren't important at all. What matters is mastering certain classes and knowing how to combine abilities for synergy. A freelancer that has mastered ninja, spellblade, and ranger can one-shot Omega, for example.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

You know what would be rad? If Square ripped off Steam and made a multiplayer class-based first person hack-n-slasher. If that was Final Fantasy XV, I'd play the hell out of it.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Mega64 posted:

It's also pretty awesome in FF4, I learned recently. Your character will attack much more quickly thanks to not being as restricted by the game's wonky ATB, and their attack power gets a nice boost as well.

Of course, it's usually overkill anyway, but it can come in handy (and makes the Avenger sword one of the better weapons in the game due to its auto-Berserk).

It's also great in FF2 where it's just a flat damage boost. Arguably the best spell in the game, but FF2 is kind of a special case. It's also awesome in FF6 becaue Umaro :black101:

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Tolth posted:

Ok, having never given FFV a chance I figured I'd take a shot at the fiesta. Unfortunately my first two jobs ended up as White Mage and Time Mage. Does anyone have any suggestions on making it to the fire crystal, because right now my damage is pretty terrible and short of some serious grinding I ain't sure how to bridge the gap.

Yeah if you've never played FFV before, you probably shouldn't do a fiesta run first. Mostly because a) a fiesta run requires pretty intimate knowledge of the game and its mechanics and how to get around your limitations and b) most of the fun comes from combining class abilities into pure brokenness.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I went with the six classes from FF1 - knight, monk, white mage, black mage, red mage, and thief (hunter). So far I haven't had any issues, but I guess I'll be missing out on haste. Oh well.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Here's something odd I just noticed in FFTactics. The picture for Riovanes Castle:

is the bridge Pont Neuf that leads into downtown Toulouse, France:

which is where I grew up. Quelle coincidence.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

The bridge, the form of the bridge, and the cathedral in the background.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

You'll get Penelo back in your party permanently after a few dungeons, and you'll never really need more than potions until then. Also, Fran can cast Cure no matter what her class is.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Yeah, basically any character that started out with ablities in the vanilla game can use those abilities no matter their class in IZJS. So Van can always steal, Balthier can always use the first two guns, etc.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Pollyanna posted:

Doesn't Throw work off your magic stat? I have it on Chemist Lenna to take advantage of her magic, but maybe that doesn't make sense.

And yes, I am really glad to have Thief Faris. Genji Gear, here I come :dance:

Doesn't Mug mean I lose out on Mix or other abilities? Or does it eventually replace Steal?

Mug is its own ability, meaning if you equip it on a thief, he'll have both Steal and Mug. It's really not worth it because 99% of the time you DON'T want to do damage to what you're stealing from.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Ozma is the best super-boss in the series, because instead of being a massive pile of HP with a few mildly threatening attacks, it will absolutely gently caress you over from the get go for all the reasons already listed. FF9 is truly the best :allears:

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Ozma only has about 60k HP in a game where almost every character can do 9999 damage though.

Zidane, Quina and Freya have guaranteed attacks that can do 9999, and Vivi, Steiner, Dagger (and Eiko?) unlock very strong attacks that usually do 9999.

Yeah, exactly. The challenge is getting an opportunity to get those attacks in.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

The White Dragon posted:

Still, I dunno how folks can do that level one challenge against Ozma. That poo poo must be poo poo, I can't imagine attempting that fight without Auto-Reflect and Auto-Life.

There's a pretty good guide for it on gamefaqs. Low level isn't really an issue because most attacks (like meteor) would kill you anyway, and others can be easily mitigated or avoided. One attack, Flare Star, is actually level based so it does less damage. And you can obviously do 9999 damage with three characters anyway, and speed isn't an issue due to Ozma's gimmick.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Pollyanna posted:

Man it sucks that I can only equip like three of the holy weapons near the endgame. :smith:

I can't use Excalibur or Masamune. I wanted to use them, dammit. How come MK can't equip them!?

They don't need to since they can already equip the best weapon in the game.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Care to give a brief overview of how he made them bad and how they improved when he left? I've never played either game.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I named her Dirk :v:

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

When he starts charging up Gigaflare, he's vulnerable to instant death attacks.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Stoat posted:

I have a big flight coming up and I'm planning to invest in either FF3 or Tactics for the iPad to keep me busy. I can't really decide which, though. I liked Tactics Advance and Advance 2, but I'm a sucker for old Final Fantasy games, and I've never played 3 (as it's the Japanese 3 not 6)

Anyone have any info that might sway me in one direction? Are the ports good?

I think you'll get the most fun out of Tactics. It even has a good story, too.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

It's hard to screw yourself over with job choices. They might not be optimal, but pretty much any six will give you the tools you need to make it through the game.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Idioteque Dance posted:

I started FFXII IZJS using PCSX2, and holy crap this game in 1080p. It is an unbelievable difference.

I've chosen Monk, Black Mage, White Mage and Breaker so far (and Uhlan for Penelo but she doesn't appear on the job board now). Is Brawler (ie. powerup for unarmed license) worth sticking with for the Monk, and ignoring the licenses for poles?

Get both. Poles are good because they can hit flying enemies, and their damage is reduced by magic defense unlike normal weapons.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Correct. You could also equip an ability to always use the extended animation.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

There's a mod on romhacking.net that improves the sound quality, if that's your thing.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I'm glad I bought the PC version off a friend years ago, since it sounds like this is the exact same version but with some low-effort achievements and no CDs. The PC version, though, I can mod to hell and back with CD-quality music and high resolution graphics.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

He's just stretching his quads dude. Gotta stay limber.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

My favorite thing to do in FFT is to stick an AOE spell on one of my units and have him run into a crowd of enemies as a suicide bomber. Sometimes I even see the AI (which is surprisingly clever) do this.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Another thing that surprisingly nobody has mentioned is the zodiac system. Zodiac compatibility will make or break the game for you. Signs with good compatibility (four months apart) get a 25% bonus to damage and hit rates (which affect positive status spells like haste too) against each other. Signs with bad compatibility (three months apart) get a 25% penalty against each other. Signs with best/worst compatibility (six months apart, and opposite/same sex respectively) get a 50% bonus/penalty, respectively, against each other. Having three units with mutually good compatibility (like scorpio-pisces-cancer) will make the game a lot easier for you.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

flyboi posted:

It was mostly a test, I just grabbed the first model pack I could find. I ended up throwing it all out and finding an old copy of the original FF7 pc so I could load all the mods into it. The difference in quality is night and day and honestly I would not purchase the re-release. It's total garbage.

This is how FF7 *can* look and sound on pc:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8e18Ay2kJE4

Oh Jesus the sound effects are terrible.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

It might be cliche, but I'd play a buddy cop game featuring Lightning and Sazh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Square-Enix Presents Motomu Toriyama's Katzroy, Shut Up and Jam: Gaiden, Chapter 1 of the Dajh Katzroy SaGa