Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

The main reason to have a thief is to run away easily. Considering how dangerous random encounters can be and your very limited resources, grinding outside of dungeons and making a mad dash to the boss isn't a bad idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Squall is a cool dude who is quiet and reserved because literally everyone around him is a moron. Even in his dreams.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

13 doesn't have limit breaks, unless you mean the unique abilities every character gets, which are extremely good.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Zvahl posted:

In so far as Lightning's was astonishingly good at its job and the rest of them I can't even remember the name of other than Death

Lightning's, Sazh's, and Hope's all add a huge amount to the chain gauge on staggered enemies, with Sazh's being the best at +170%. Fang's and Snow's just do a fuckton of damage at the cost of ending the stagger, so they're not quite as good.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Dr Pepper posted:

I mean eventually you're going to run out of stagger so they make a good finisher.

True, but since you can only use those moves with your active party leader, there's an opportunity cost involved. I'd take fast chain buildup over a lot of damage any day.

13-2 fixed this problem by letting you switch party leaders in battle, but they made those ultimate moves one-use only.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

The actual bad thing about the animations is that ATBs keep filling during them which can lead to some weird behavior and consequences, like speed not actually doing anything.

You can really see how that led to them overhauling the system in FF10.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

There's a bunch of things I have to do, but I spent my time making this instead.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Elephant Ambush posted:

FF13-2 sucks primarily because there are only 2 playable characters.

The other reasons are because those characters both suck and are boring and also because they tried to address the complaint of "there are no towns" in the worst and most boring way possible and also they tried to cram in a lovely moogle mascot and also the music is terrible.

Everything about this post is wrong. Just flat out incorrect.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

The White Dragon posted:

furthermore ff3 has weapon proficiency exp that determines both damage and number of hits, so if you ever switch weapon types on a character, they'll be completely crippled

knightswords are separate from swords and darkswords, naturally

I know for a fact this isn't true for the original version and I'm pretty certain it isn't for the DS one either. Are you sure you're not thinking of another game?

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

The White Dragon posted:

it's called Melee Proficiency

code:
For attacks other than Archery and Harps, the calculation is as follows:

Number of Hits = 1 + Agility / 7 + JobLV / 14 + (Melee Proficiency. - 1) / 7 -
                 Wt. of Equipment / 6

- This is calculated once per hand.
- Maximum hits is 16 per hand, but actually it works like damage; The number of
  hits can go beyond 16 per hand. However, you will only see 16 (one hand) or
  32 (both hands) on screen.

For Archery attacks:

Number of hits = 1 + Agility / 9 + JobLV / 14 + (Sum of both Melee Prof. - 2)
                 / 14

For Harp attacks:

Number of hits = 1 + Agility / 6 + JobLV / 22 + (Sum of both Melee Prof. - 2)
                 / 14
code:
 For every 33 attacks your melee proficiency will increase by +1. (each arm
 levels up separately)  For bows and harps, they level up at the same time.

OK based on a google search it looks like this was a DS only thing? And also it's completely hidden from the player? What the gently caress SE :psyduck:

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I think you can outrange the archer if you stick your units on the far right side of the map. Let Delita and Argath deal with him. The mages a lot more dangerous, if any of them know thunder they can really gently caress you up (lightning gets a boost during thunderstorms).

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Barudak posted:

A lot. Like going from drawing 1-3 to drawing mire than 20

You can only draw 9 at most per turn, but yeah, magic is how you get to that.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Elephant Ambush posted:

LOL this train sequence is stupid as hell and for some reason all my junctions got undone between the save point and the president boss fight so welp doing it all over again. :downs:

When should I use this lamp?

Use it right now or you're a coward.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

jokes posted:

Why in the world is Ivalice supposed to be pronounced "Ee-va-lees" that is truly absurd to me.

Because in most languages, i is usually pronounced like ee. English is weird.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Fun fact: Squall is short of Pasquall.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

...! posted:

That... actually doesn't look as bad as people say. I'm a little surprised that they didn't switch Terra's hair to blonde, though, since that's the canonical color. They made it green on the SNES/GBA because otherwise it would have been a bit difficult to tell her apart from Celes. You'd think that with today's hardware they wouldn't have that problem anymore.

I think the character sprites is what turns people off the most. Like all the male characters have angry eyebrows and their chests puffed out for no good reason. Seriously, just check out the rack on Setzer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

It really is scary to think about an idiot clown becoming the most powerful man in the world.