Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
The Matrix port of FF5 is infuriating because they got rid of a lot of nice tricks for challenge runs. In particular, you can't really cheese Omniscient anymore because even at 0MP he can still cast Reset, and a couple other ways to deal with him (Mage Masher Silence proc, and possibly Berserking him) don't work either. There's something clever about using non-mages to take down the magic boss, but I guess we can't have that...!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mega64
May 23, 2008

MonsieurChoc posted:

I don't have a Switch so stop asking for every game to be ported to the Switch, it makes me feel excluded.

Don't blame us. Blame yourself or God.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

The only localizer I need is Google Translate.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Both English translations are garbage, still waiting for an Al Bhed translation.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

PS1 FFT sounds like English Tidus fake laughing, while PSP FFT sounds like Japanese Tidus fake laughing.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

FFT has a hundred ways to break it, just rotate your saves (so you don't have just one save in Riovanes at the end of Chapter 3) and you should be able to tackle anything with strategy and/or grinding. You really don't need to min-max FFT to beat it, by the end-game you're literally handed a one-man army who's still not in the top ten ways to break FFT apart.

TL posted:

Finished FFIX for the sixth time.

Still my favorite. What a great game.

:yeah:

Mega64
May 23, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5b-aNEW6HCg

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Jerry Cotton posted:

I haven't really played Final Fantasy X yet because I had such a hard time tolerating the pissbaby player character.

Turn your TV on.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Tidus is dreamy~

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Play FF10, then play FF7 during the cutscenes.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

mandatory lesbian posted:

I love you Steve but please stop telling me how ff8 is the greatest romance ever told

It is, though. Nothing even comes close to the love between Zell and the cafeteria hot dogs.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Selphie and Sabin would never get along.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

The main problem with the mechanic is it's too drawn out.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Triple Triad is the main game of FF8, the story and combat are the side content.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

FF16 should be that remake of Mystic Quest that someone made in RPG Maker and tried to sell a few years ago.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

What SE should really do is try to do crossover games with other franchises.

I would pay a lot of money for Final Fantasy Madden.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Tae posted:

They do this all the time.

I mean other than Disney, Dragon Quest, Mario, Smash Bros, NieR, Assassin’s Creed, Mass Effect, LittleBigPlanet, Everybody’s Golf, Tekken, Monster Hunter, and a dozen others I’m probably missing.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

FF16 should be about the Eidolons and what they do on their day off when they're not being summoned by various FF protags. They could have a chapter where they all go shopping and Ifrit tries to find a pair of pants that fit him or something. Maybe a spa day.

Also have Gilgamesh because why not.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

bentacos posted:

Stupid sexy Titan

The power of the earth is in his rear end.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

cock hero flux posted:

For setting, I honestly think FF15's direction was a perfectly valid path to take and they should probably go on in that vein. That game was tremendously mismanaged but a lot of the ideas it had were good.

The setting works great for 15, but the beauty of this dumb series is every entry has an entirely different setting that makes that game stand out. Whatever 16 ends up being, I want it to be its own thing beyond all the weird poo poo we’ve seen. Really old fantasy-style, major sci-fi elements, the set of a popular sitcom, whatever it is, just make it unique and bizarre and weird and wonderful like all the other games.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Jerry Cotton posted:

Final Fantasy 16: Ultros

I cannot argue with that.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Octopus Traveler.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Rirse posted:

I been playing through the Final Fantasy games of late, but want to go back to the first two again after not having beat them since the PS1 release. Problem is what the best version to play for these. I am leaning toward PS1 for FF1 since the GBA and on version were too easy. That said I am thinking the PSP version of 2.

Both those are fine. PS1 is probably the definitive version of FF1 since it’s the original with bug fixes and a new presentation without all the changes that make the GBA version easier.

As for FF2, the newer the version, the less tedious it gets, and the easier it gets to break the game in half. And FF2 is like FF8 in that if you’re playing for the gameplay, the fun is really in breaking things as ridiculously as possible.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

FF2 does have a weird appeal to it once you understand the nuances of its mechanics. Beating yourself up for HP is actually a trap, Agility and Evasion are god stats, and you want to have one frontliner and two pure mages starting mid-game. Never wear heavy armor unless your evasion can take the penalty hit. Toad and Osmose are god-tier spells.

Just all that will let you cheese the vast majority of encounters. If the game's pacing and the dungeon design weren't utter garbage it'd actually be close to a good game!

Mega64
May 23, 2008

If I controlled the destinies of man, I would replace FF13 with Final Fantasy Barry.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

It certainly didn’t end happily for Matsuno!

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I can't believe a Final Fantasy game would try to mimic Star Wars.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

good that means he can make new expanded universe stuff just for the remake.

I can't wait for Iscar Matthias to finally be canon.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Oxxidation posted:

people had some difficulty coming to terms with dirge of cerberus’ designs

If you enjoy bizarre JRPG fashions, it's one of the few things Dirge excels at.

It is almost Luso-levels absurd.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Final Fantasy 8 is what would happen if you named your game “Final Fantasy” and then decided to make seven sequels.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Vincent/Angst

Mega64
May 23, 2008

This is Final Fantasy, everything is wrong.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

They're all good

at being bad

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Every English FF4 release besides the SNES version and any direct ports of it (Wii Virtual Console) are based on the hard type, including the PS1, GBA, and PSP releases.

If you want a faithful translation go with the 3D remake, all the various 2D translations apparently have various issues, even the later ones.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

If someone wants to try to match the effort the OP put into their opening posts, be my guest.

Also let's wait until 99999 posts so we can hit the max damage limit.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I'd love to see Setzer's snake eyes.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

You're right, it's time I stop talking and start doing. I'm going to build a Colosseum!

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Most of the villains are good, really. Even Marche!

So which one is the worst villain? I'd go whichever you'd pick for FF3, Xande is a crybaby and Cloud of Darkness is a Necron that represents her game mostly because Xande sucks and there's not enough woman villains (in as far as Cloud of Darkness is a woman, it's a loving cloud of darkness).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mega64
May 23, 2008

FF2 was a great start to Square embracing insane stories. They kill off half the world, dungeons include Leviathan's stomach and a literal cyclone, you have a dragoon who tries to move in on his dead friend's family, Firion getting ambushed by pirates because he can't resist a free ride, Firion attempting to gently caress Hilda, Josef's entire worthless existence, Borghen being such comic relief that his zombie is a joke boss, going on a long detour to unlock a castle (which involved Josef getting killed) only to find the guy who could've unlocked it to begin with a few feet inside, finding and raising a wyvern egg solely to access a dungeon, Leon trying to become the new Emperor not by mind control but because he's just a massive dick and only joining you to spite the Emperor, and of course the Emperor getting killed off only to conquer hell and making you have to kill him again.

FF2 is gloriously stupid and the idiocy of its story deserves more love.