Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Soylent Heliotrope
Jan 27, 2009

"Which version should I play" info that I would like to submit into consideration for the OP:

FFV: If you want to play this game, be warned: the release available on the PSN is typically considered to be something of a subpar product. It suffers from significant load times that don't exist in other versions and a script that wasn't localized all that well. It's worth your while to seek out the GBA version, which works off of a much better-written translation.

FFVI: Similarly, the PSN version of 6 also has load time problems. Go for the original SNES version (also on the Wii Virtual Console) if you don't mind a few bugs or the GBA version if you don't mind decreased sound quality.

Dissidia: If you're going to play Dissidia, don't bother with the first Dissidia game unless you really really want to. 012 includes effectively everything from the first game, including the storyline content. In keeping with the whole fighting game thing, 012 is a Super Ultimate Dissidia Turbo Edition and not really a new game in its own right.

e: addendums:

FFIV: There is absolutely no consensus at all among FF nerds which of the many rereleases of this game is the best. Go hog wild.

FFXII: The people who have played it seem to think that the International Zodiac Job System is a significant improvement over the original. It hasn't been released outside of Japan, but a translation patch for that version exists. Play that one if you can.

Soylent Heliotrope fucked around with this message at 03:08 on May 15, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soylent Heliotrope
Jan 27, 2009

I just beat 6 again after not playing it for a couple years, and I actually completed all of the endgame sidequests for the first time. Most of the game was a lot more fun than I remembered, but part of this playthrough involved actually doing the Cultists' Tower without using the Moogle Charm to get around all the random encounters. That place is a horrible slog of a dungeon and I can't imagine who thought it would be fun to play. First off, there are no save points, even though the random battles are dangerous (enemies can cast Meteor and Quake on your party) and take forever if you decided to tackle the dungeon without Ultima. Second, its level design reeks of :effort:. Going through the same screen repeated over and over again- especially when you have to do the trek twice- is dull as hell and is exactly what soured me on 8. Third, restricting the player to only magic is uninteresting game design if it comes at a point in the game where all of your characters (and especially the mage-oriented ones) aren't going to have a lot of differences between their spell pools.

Really though I'm just frustrated that that dungeon took me an hour longer to beat than Kefka's Tower did. :smith:

Soylent Heliotrope
Jan 27, 2009

The Playstation translation is just full of profoundly stupid names for things. What kind of name for a final dungeon is "The N-Zone"?

Soylent Heliotrope
Jan 27, 2009

Well, I made it to the second world. I think that's more than enough for one sitting of this video game.

The twitter bot gave me White Mage/Berserker/Geomancer/Samurai (on normal mode. I was dreading getting Dancer for my earth job, because then my team would just be based around pointing my team at the enemy and hoping they randomly do good damage. Getting Samurai instead makes this a much more palatable challenge.

Sand Worm, Soul Cannon, and undead Archeoavis were all incredibly tedious affairs that I barely won, though. I can't imagine how horrible they might be for some of you folks who rolled bad hard mode teams.

e: if this all sounds familiar, I'm the Draino who's been chatting it up in the IRC channel

Soylent Heliotrope
Jan 27, 2009

Idioteque Dance posted:

I actually already had it and forgot to list it earlier, though everybody in my party has mastered Summoner so it's of almost no use whatsoever. Maybe if I end up with 0MP for everyone at some point towards the end, but even then I bet !Call would be almost as useful as a magic lamp.

Due to some of the obfuscated inner workings of FFV, there are a few things you can do with the Magic Lamp that you can't with summon magic. Most importantly, you can only get that True Edge instakill on part of Neo Exdeath with a lamp Odin. A summoned Odin will just use Gungnir (his other, non-instakill attack). :eng101: