Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

Welp, finally finished XIII-2, and the ending is just as retarded as everyone said it was.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

Twitter is a very confusing place, but I managed to register. Will I have to wait until the 17th to get my team, cause I wanna go now?

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

Jesus Christ, you guys are fast. This challenge is going to take me months. Speaking of which, what's the time limit on this thing?
Also, I got Blue Mage. Could be worse I guess.

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

W.T. Fits posted:

You have until the end of August.

Thanks. Might be able to finish before that :-)

Currently Goblin Punching my way to victory.
Another question; When you get your second job can you set up your party however you like as long as you have at least one of each class? For eksample: Blue mage, blue mage, summoner, summoner?

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

I think Gilgabot likes me. Blue Mage/Summoner/Ninja/????

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

I like how completely ridiculous his stance looks when it's done by a more realistic looking model.

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

I like the symbolism of A Realm Reborn.

"Oh, so you absolutely hate our game, well, uh, let's blow it all to hell then and start over again, yeah?"

Also, are those Magitek suits from FF6 in that video?

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

Krad posted:

So, you know how SE will most probably never, ever release Type-0 in the west? Well, a group of translators said "gently caress it" and finally started working on it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H6NiBDBXlgU

Can someone give a reasonable explanation for this? Why is Square just sitting on a finished modern Final Fantasy and not doing anything with it? Is translating and distributing it so expensive that they don't think they can get their money back?
I know Final Fantasy's reputation isn't as great as it used to be, but they still sell well enough, I thought.

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

Meiteron posted:

It has a lot to do with Type-0 being a PSP title when the PSP is now effectively a dead system replaced wholesale by the Vita. I don't know for sure, but I suspect that they have decided the costs involved with localizing it and preparing for a NA release would be greater than whatever they'd get back by releasing it digitally on the Vita for a price point which would have to be below the average Vita game.

There was also talk about remaking the game to be a proper Vita title but apparently that has fallen through for similar reasons. So yes, it really is just a money issue. I'm still hoping they'll change their minds but I'll definitely settle for a fan translation lacking other options.

Ah, I see. Thanks for the info.
So they pretty much started making a game then took too long to get it out, before the console was dead, and now there's no place to put it.
In a roundabout way that makes the answer the one I was expecting all along: Square!

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

That loving Sned posted:

The battle system looks great. The sexy poses after each battle don't.

Yeah, it's actually really off-putting. You're basically just playing with Toriyama's* real doll now.

*Or whatever the writer guys name is.

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

I think it's kind of cool that Square-Enix told a story that only made sense to people with the special kind of autism that Azure Horizon has. Bold move.

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

The GIG posted:

A video with FFXHD's new music compared to the old music.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ym9WyzSQ2oo

Does anyone know if you can select witch soundtrack to use? That video didn't really sell me on the new remixes, especially if the approach they are using is "add more stuff so it sounds different" even if it fits the song or not.

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

Azure_Horizon posted:

ANYTHING improves the poo poo-tastic regular battle theme in FFX. And I see no problem with the remaster. Sounds ten times better than the original did.

poo poo-tastic is probably a bit strong, but FFX does have one of the weakest regular battle themes in the series. My problem isn't with this remaster, I was just hoping they were actually remastering the music and not remixing it, if you get what I mean.
Imagine buying a re-release of a classic album only to find out the guy in charge of the remastering added some dubstep to random songs. It might be cool, but you'd rather listen to the original. That's why I was wondering if you could choose soundtracks.

E:VVVVVV Well, because Square, I guess...

Attitude Indicator fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Aug 24, 2013

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

Wasn't the whole point of 13-2 to make her stay dead? And Caius succeded in that, right? That's why everything goes to poo poo at the end.

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

Butt Ghost posted:

Final Fantasy VII's gloom and doom plot always scared me away from playing it, but now it sounds beautiful.

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

Gologle posted:

I'm sorry, but the real bestest worst Final Fantasy OST in the series is Crisis Core. It's basically all remixes of the soundtrack of FF7 except for maybe two or three tracks, but its wonderful.

Nah, most of the tracks in CC are new. But it does have a great soundtrack yeah.

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

Gologle posted:

Really? Off the top of my head, you have (btw, one great thing about the soundtrack is that I believe they're all done with an actual orchestra. Either that or they got really close to imitating the sound) One Winged Angel, the world map theme, the battle theme, Nibelheim, and one other one that I recognize but don't remember where it is in FF7. I think it might be Wutai, but I'm not sure.

I think it's mostly actual instruments, but some tracks use a synth-replica. Anyway, here's a link to the OST http://finalfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Crisis_Core_-Final_Fantasy_VII-_Original_Soundtrack so you can take a look. Most of the remixed songs from FF7 were pretty well done too, except for the Turks theme, which is garbage.

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

Suaimhneas posted:

I just tried the Lightning Returns demo, and I have little idea what's going on with this combat. I feel like I'm switching roles just because I have to switch to something that has ATB to spend, rather than because that role would be useful against that enemy or in that situation. I'm not sure how there could be any reason to use one role over another when you can't use any role's abilities for more than a few seconds at a time anyway.

But what's worse than that is I have difficulty caring enough to try to figure it out. I don't care about any of these characters, the story is nonsense. Not even Fang and Sazh coming back is making me interested in this, which is just sad because I loved those two.

Maybe I'll watch an LP or something. Can we have more news about 15 now?

Same here. Your comments about the battle system are spot on, and there is nothing else there that I like at all. The music is meh, the plot is a goddamn mess, the character design is unappealing, the dialog is embarrasing. Ugh. Pass.

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

This will probably surprise no one, but FF15 and KH3 won't be out this year.
http://www.siliconera.com/2014/01/31/square-enix-responds-final-fantasy-xv-kingdom-hearts-iii-rumor-says-dates-placeholders/

Attitude Indicator fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Feb 1, 2014

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

Great Lakes Log posted:

That's horribly sad

No. It's amazingly hilarious. Imagine what this guy was thinking during those weeks, imagine when his SO or friends asked him how work was going, imagine what happened when someone found out. Just imagine this dude sitting there for weeks in a dingy office, in a void of missinformation, Brazil style, modeling a loving video game rock.

You could make a screenplay out of that.

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

The problems with MMO's (or just maybe FF11, it's the only one I've ever tried) is that you can't play and enjoy the game the way you want. You have to play it exactly like a million nerds figured out it should be played five years ago, or else you'll just be standing outside a town whacking rabbits forever and ever.

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

Vil posted:

The millions of nerds know it better, both from time and obsession, than Joe Newbie does. My question is what would give Joe Newbie the impression that he would know better than the millions of obsessive nerds?

That's not say that Joe should be ostracized for experimenting, but it's highly unlikely that Joe's going to come up with anything new. If he wants to experiment to discover stuff for himself, cool. Sometimes that'll backfire on him if he picks a particularly ineffective combo and runs across someone with very little tact or restraint.

If he'd rather skip the social shakiness and blend in, then he can, well, blend in and go with the established methods. It's not like he's in any way obligated to reinvent the wheel. And if he wants to try, he should do it with the awareness that he's reinventing the wheel while surrounded by a ton of people who already know how wheels work, and so he shouldn't be terribly surprised when he hears "dude, try the round design, winkwink" or "lol wtf are you doing with that POS triangular wheel you noob".

I'm really not seeing the issue here, outside of Joe maybe having unrealistic expectations about jumping straight from ignorant to innovator without first catching up on common knowledge.

I'm sure this is all wonderful and correct but it still doesn't make it fun.

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

I haven't played LR, and probably won't unless it gets dirt cheap, but I'm wondering about the time mechanic. Does it actually add anything to the game at all? The only things I've heard about it is that's either annoying or a non issue since it can easily be negated. Seems like it doesn't really have a purpose at all.

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

Tidus looks high as gently caress in the HD version of FF10.

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

Bregor posted:

I've been scouring this thread's last 80 or so pages for FFX pointers so I don't mess anything up before I start HD.

Is anyone here capable of just playing through a game and enjoying it? People study less for their exams than what you people do for FFX.

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

NikkolasKing posted:

I...still don't really get it. I mean, the words make sense in both langauges, but the context and the "why" are what perplex me. I don't see any reason for Ultimecia to be saying all this.

There is no "why." Someone tought it would sound good so they shoved it in there. It would make a lot more sense and be kinda sad if the Ultimecia = Rinoa thing was real, but welp...

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

I think some of the Arena battles require slightly different tactics, but yeah, it's a samey grind the rest of the way. Like most FFs.

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

I don't know why, but I'm worried FF15s battle system will be like KH2 where you mash X to win battle, sometimes press triangle for short cutscene.

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

Final Fantasy was good least worse from 5 to 10. The rest is rear end.

E: Well, worser, I guess.

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

There's usually a reason why people doent want to play a game, say if it has a dumb game design for one

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Yeah I could barely find any of it, it really didn't catch on like Black Mages did.

I guess there's a limit to how many times people are interested in hearing Uematsu throw some electric guitar on the same songs he made 20 years ago

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

Pureauthor posted:

How long until FFXV becomes the new DNF?

DNF took what? 11 years? So 3 more years i guess

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

I'd like to work at Squeenix. it seems chill.
make a game. Sure, whatever. Right after this nap.

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

I never got all the praise for the battle system in X-2, it is just a messier version of the standard ATB stuff. X had a vastly superiour battle system, shame they did not try to improve on it in later games.

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

A Yuel that loved to explode!

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

Sin is probably one of the coolest thing in the whole series.

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

Endorph posted:

Hey guys, I heard Square Enix set a time-delay bomb in every copy of Chrono Trigger with the detonation time set to twenty years after its release! The combined force will be that of eleven nuclear bombs, wiping out all life as we know it! What the gently caress, square?

Square just keeps loving up. This is getting ridiculous.

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

you press triangle on the row you want to move or something.

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

Sagnid posted:

Thanks for the advice. I still have hopes that they will just port the game too the PC.

you're quite the optimist then, im still not convinced it'll ever come out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

my marriage was shorter than FF15s development.