Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

they way they handled ff15 ff16 will be entirely designed by internet survey forms.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

Sunning, my man, get the gently caress out of here with your actual good and informative posts. This is the thread for saying "actually FF is bad."

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

gigglefeimer posted:

You're absolutely right that the majority of people will play in the most boring, un-fun way possible. I think that you can't force people to have fun, it's ultimately up to the player.

It's a thin line between nudging players succesfully to play the game as intended and just pissing people of. The games that manage it does so without players noticing, and the one's who don't are the ones that are talked about. See FFTA, XCOM, DMC, etc.

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

Wait, DMC? What? How does that fit in to that lineup?

the ninja theory one with color coded enemies, so you'd have to switch up which weapons to use. It just came to mind but it might not be a great example.

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

I was thinking about specific instances where developers have designed things clumsily to force players to vary their gameplay and the result being that those players have balked at it and complained. The color coded enemies were just an example of an inellegant implementation of that.

As for DMC2, i don't really remember much about it except that the best thing to do in that game was usually just to stay away and shoot everything with pistols. So obviously they hosed it up in a different direction.

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

gigglefeimer posted:

Designing a game with a single intended way to play is very dangerous, because the intended way might not be very fun. The only hope you have then is that players will find fun ways to play your game that never occurred to you.

It's the other way around actually, discourage players from finding a way to make it unfun. Someone linked this video somewhere, it probably explains the idea better than I can.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7L8vAGGitr8&t=628s

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

The color coordination stuff is actually the least smart way to do it because it either (as DMC;dmc did) causes the game to boil down gameplay to be so simplistic that the only real reaction is "Am I holding the correct trigger while mashing out the same combo" or you add it on to an already robust system and it becomes mostly busywork that adds to apm and nothign else.

"least smart" was the original sub title for DmC, I believe.

E: also I was allready saying it was a bad design choice, just for the record.

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

Mega64 posted:

FF4 starts with you beating up some nerds, so it's the best one.

ff2 starts with you being the nerds who get beat up. it's probably a more relatable story.

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

Kingtheninja posted:

Is there a reason noct warp strikes in a random direction when I'm locked on a target? It's getting really annoying.

If i remember correctly tapping and holding the warp button gives different effects. Tap to attack targeted enemy, hold to warp to nearest warp point.

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

FF15 is a pretty bad game that I had a lot of fun playing for some reason.
But it's clear in every aspect that the game has been hastily cobbled together by low level employees who inherited a mess on a deadline.

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

Elentor posted:

So I've coded a Turn-based RPG that has fully functional combat, save and load, and a combat that supports all the standard Turn RPG features. I finished coding in the two base classes (Enforcer and Rogue) and I have a few other classes already fully fleshed out, some of this is stuff I've been iterating over for a while now.

A friend of mine joked about introducing Numerologists and making it about "just doing really, really hard math". One of the concepts I have is that there are regular classes and exotic classes, the latter being an excuse to introduce really weird mechanics without worrying about balance and they come with a huge disclaimer telling you that they're gameplay-altering challenges, and I thought about that and the notion of a Numerologist class as an exotic class that is entirely based on you going full nerd with a big warning about that.

One of the jokes is adding a Supernova-like skill, but you know all the weird calculus that appears during the Supernova animation? Well if you get them wrong the comet just misses and goes very far away :v:. Hope you're ready to solve the three-body problem!

Just make numerologist do the Countdown numbers game, and the target number is possible damage.

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

Bruceski posted:

You score a critical hit if it's numberwang.

gently caress it up and you get wangernumbed for huge debuffs.

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

Cavelcade posted:

Speaking of FFT, is it worth playing on mobile?

not if you can help it.

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

just for funsies, here's his directors credtis according to imdb for the past 15 years.

Director (18 credits)
2018 Final Fantasy VII Remake (Video Game) (announced) (lol)
2019 Kingdom Hearts III (Video Game) (completed) (not out yet)
2017 Kingdom Hearts HD 1.5 + 2.5 Remix (Video Game) (remaster)
2017 Kingdom Hearts HD 2.8 Final Chapter Prologue (Video Game) (no idea)
2016 Final Fantasy XV (Video Game) (original director) (yeah...)
2014 Kingdom Hearts HD 2.5 Remix (Video Game) (remaster)
2013 Kingdom Hearts HD 1.5 Remix (Video Game) (remaster)
2012 Kingudamu hâtsu 3D: Dorîmu doroppu disutansu (Video Game) (video game!)
2010 Kingdom Hearts Re:coded (Video Game) (remaster)
2010 Kingudamu hâtsu: Bâsu bai surîpu (Video Game) (?)
2009 Kingdom Hearts: 358/2 Days (Video Game) (video game!)
2007 Kingdom Hearts II: Final Mix+ (Video Game) (remaster)
2007 Kingdom Hearts Re: Chain of Memories (Video Game) (remaster)
2005 Kingdom Hearts II (Video Game) (video game!)
2005 Last Order: Final Fantasy VII (Video short) (supervising) (stuff, i guess)
2005 Fainaru fantajî sebun adobento chirudoren (?)
2004 Kingdom Hearts: Chain of Memories (Video Game) (video game!)

as far as i can tell, that's 4 new games since 2004. No idea if that's bad or not compared to industry standards and the other stuff.

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

Twat McTwatterson posted:

FFXII question:

I'm about 7 hours in, deep into the Barheim Passage after getting Basch into my party. Basch is only temporary right now, but Fran and Balthier are permanent.

My question is, are Fran and Balthier permanent enough to start spending gil on armor and weapon upgrades for them? Because Barheim passage has been kicking my rear end, and I am wondering if I should have bought a lot of gear off of the prisoner in the first area where Basch joins you.

As long as a party member doesn't have GUEST written next to their name, they're going to stick around forever.

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

Doom train is actually the dangers of meth.

Seymour and yuanlesca are actually good fights because they’re challenging and requires some thought beyond hit them with the strongest attack. The cutscenes can gently caress off, yeah.

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

Im glad someone is finally standing up for the mistreatment of the antagonist of final fantasy 8, the video game.

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

The main reason for getting FF12TZA is the wonderful job they did with the music. The whole ost recorded by an orchestra, plus new tracks. its wonderful.

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

Hold the block button when prompted, it’s not a timed thing.
Beyond that, don’t worry. It’s the easiest FF and i dont think there is anything missable.

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

I thought it was Spirits Within that rolled through SE like a katamary, sucking up all the money from those games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

the touch controlls for FFT are a pain. The game was not made for them, and they've not done anything to adapt the menues for them either.