Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

Ronnie posted:

I... I can't tell if you are joking, but I hope you are not. :ohdear:

it will never happen. this get's brought up from time to time for no reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Hope. Hope is the reason.

it's not physically possible because of missing source codes or something. and I don't think ff9 is very popular in japan. too costly, yadda yadda. give up. join the misery.

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

Shakugan posted:

I think making characters feel like real people rather than cardboard cutouts is a worthwhile thing to progress towards.

I think the key difference is that most games nowadays are written as if you are getting the entire scene of discussion that occurs. In many older games, and in Bravely Default, it's more like you're getting summaries of what was said. It's not about pointless padding, it's about getting the "full" scene, and just having this feeling that something is missing from the way dialogue used to be done in games.

you should try FF13. it has a million cutscenes with a million words, but nothing of any value is ever said. thats the full scene in jrpgs.

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

Mischitary posted:

The biggest stuff though is about the combat. The combat seems to be a lot less action-focused now. You cannot manually control any other characters except Noctis, and the combat focuses on two major buttons, one for offense and one for defense. The way it sounds is, that there is a system much like the Gambit system in FF12 where you can set up what your buddies will do in battle. You can also open up a menu to change your battle strategies in the middle of battle. It all seems to me like it's starting to more and more resemble a traditional role-playing game.

Square keeps wanting to make a game that looks and plays like DMC or some similar over-the-top action game, but don't know how. so they instead make a simulation of an action game. how wonderfully pointless.

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

Terper posted:

You're not very good at making this seem like a good idea, mr Tabata.

I know a lot of people said this about 12 and 13, but 15 does really seem like it'll play itself.

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

the impression I have from interviews and stuff is that the battle system is pretty much "press button to make character do cool attacks, press other button to not." I'm not getting hyped about the gameplay here guys.

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

the way they've talked about the combat system doesn't make it seem interesting. Some people have stated that it doesn't seem like a good combat system. Sorry for pooping on the unfinished video game you are so invested in.

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

Tae posted:

How can they say it's not a good combat system if literally no one has played it or shown it, that is the question no one is answering

indeed, how can someone possibly get an impression of something.

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

FF12 has a great OST. too bad you troglodytes can't appreciate it.

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Man FF12 was great. I remember one of my friends really not liking it, and then I watched him play and he had 0 gambits set up and was issuing commands individually to each guy. For the entire game. In wait mode (it pauses to give commands).

Maybe the one button approach is what we deserve.

GulagDolls posted:

I think you will press the x button, and the enemy mammoths will die regardless of whether you are in forest, desert, inside the car, etc. Then you can resume trip to the moon.

Sure, why not, i'd play it.

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

FF15 made room in developement hell when it graduated to worst game in the series.

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

NikkolasKing posted:

I still resent them for never doing a full cover of "The Legendary Beast."

The bridge in the Black Mages' Man with a Machine Gun is actually from The Legendary Beast. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b1eXcuDyidk&t=2m25s

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

AllisonByProxy posted:

Just wanted to clarify that I didn't steal it. It was given to me by our projectionist. He kept almost all of the trailers for his personal collection but didn't want that one. He would sometimes screen his mega reel of all his favorite trailers for his friends. And I don't work there anymore because it was a college job when I was 18. I'm now 32 and have a real job.

thank you, now I can finally sleep

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

kirbysuperstar posted:

Uhh..some sort of transparency AA or DOF issue? Either that or Lightning had a bad makeup day.

sazh is telling SE where they can shove their lazy port

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

i never knew there was such a large group of people with learning disabilities playing final fnatasy

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

Cake Attack posted:

if you couldn't already see the link between liking final fantasy and learning disabilities i don't know what to tell you

well i have a learning disability so...

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

Ragequit posted:

What's with the mega spoilers? The ending and a character death have been mentioned on this very page.

if you mean ff13 spoilers; it's a 5 year old bad videogame. chill.

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

HoboWithAShotgun posted:

How restrictive is 13 compared to 10? Because that was the last FF I played and I still enjoyed it despite the linear nature of it all. I remember most of the areas were basically walking in a line between point A to point B. Maybe with a short branching path that ends in a treasure chest containing 2 ethers.

13 is more restrictive. you can never backtrack and revisit previous areas for example.

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

Nihilarian posted:

OK, good. Does make me wonder how she grew her hair so long, though.

her dead boyfriends dad was a doom whale, i wouldnt worry too much about the small details of yunas life

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

ya, its also the worst game in the series

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

Endorph posted:

I like the dude on the right's design.

proto-type Auron i think

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

Spiritus Nox posted:

Can I get any more context?

final fantasy sequel.

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

NikkolasKing posted:

The millennia-spanning super-civilization of Centra which was wiped out 80 years before the start of FFVIII has been all but forgotten by pretty much everyone in the game.

It's amazing.

i'm a big nerd and looked at the ff wiki:

he game gives conflicting information on when exactly Centra was destroyed by the Lunar Cry. The Information section in the menu says 80 years, but an NPC called Operator in Lunar Base says it happened over a hundred years ago. The Final Fantasy VIII Ultimania also places the event at having happened over a hundred years ago. The Lunar Cry annihilated the entire Centra civilization and wiped it from the world map. The only structures left standing were the Centra Ruins and the building that would become Edea's orphanage.

vvvvv gently caress if i know. I'm not going to defend ff8.

Attitude Indicator fucked around with this message at 14:55 on Oct 29, 2014

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

Vandal Hearts for the ps1 is good, fairly similar to FFT.

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

Aurain posted:

How can any game with a resemblance to Final Fantasy be good?

kirbysuperstar posted:

Especially if you skeletons that gush fire-hose pressure geysers of blood.

but seriously, it doesn't have as much customization as FFt but tactics are more important, having the highground, where to position your characters, which caracthere fights which enemy, different goals to winning a battle. it's good poo poo.

Attitude Indicator fucked around with this message at 08:57 on Nov 14, 2014

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

Evil Fluffy posted:

I thought Vandal Hearts had random battles, and that it was Vagrant Story that didn't?

no random battles in vandal hearts. there are like 6 extra battles or something, but they\re really hard to find without a guide.

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

mario, that fucker.

E: oh, wait, western. nevermind.

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

fronz posted:

Are you really trying to convince someone he won't like a game you haven't even played? Really?

it's cool. i've played it, I can confirm it's a bad video game.

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

MrAristocrates posted:

People elsewhere are really getting upset about the voice acting and I don't get it at all. It's fine.

yeah, it\s just fine. nothing to get excited about either way.

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

isn't releasing a half-dead niche franchise on the vita the same as throwing money down the toilet?

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

Himuro posted:

Sweet mother of baby Jesus that XV trailer got me excited about a video game. Square Enix you're not allowed to do that.

yeah, im a 30 year old man that's actually getting pretty hyped about a final fantasy. How embarrassing.

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

The Taint Reaper posted:

Half the cast is female.

It is a foolish mistake to assume the entire party shall only be 4 members.

haven't square confirmed only one playable character and the other three are support AIs?

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

ff12 had some hosed up summons. like the guy with a cross driven through his head that would just split apart when he attacked or the screaming lady fused to the skeleton guys arm.

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

MarquiseMindfang posted:

There was [...] in 13, too, but it sucked

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

FF13 is a mediocre bideo game, but a really bad final fantasy game.

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

i just tried ff14 for a couple of hours. i don't know what to say. I've never seen such a clusterfuck of a HUD in a game before, and i have no idea whats going on. is this standard for mmos?

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

morallyobjected posted:

I had never played an MMO before I did the free trial of FFXIV, and it seemed intelligible to me.

i understand most of it. its just ugly. and the map is bad.

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

Levantine posted:

It seemed really basic and straightforward to me. Were you playing the PC version or the PS3/4?

ps4 free trial. i guess it might be easer to deal with if you have a proper mouse.

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

how much of this mess do you need to pay attention to?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

during the past week i've somehow managed to batter my way through the walls of menus and clutter on FF14 and found the game behind there, and, it's not to bad. Figured i'd see if i could make it through the main story. I'm almost level 20 now, so i'll have to upgrade from the free trial.
how does this work on the ps4? do i have to buy the priced game from the store? can't seem to find anywhere to "upgrade" on the version i have downloaded.
do I have to download more poo poo again?