Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
I just beat it and the question of what orphan was never bothered me (a sleeping falcie whose job was basically to be a giant battery) but the question of why the gently caress they didn't just walk away instead of doing the opposite of what they were going to do all game is baffling. Also that whole thing with ragnarok becoming a crystal spiral.
If I adored XIII's gameplay, would I enjoy the sequel? I can tolerate a silly/bad story if the gameplay's fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Azure_Horizon posted:

The defying of fate occurs right at the very end of the game, with Ragnarok and the crystal pillar. That's why Vanille says we've "accomplished the impossible."

Destroying Orphan throws down the shackles the fal'Cie have had over humans, which is why XIII-2 is largely devoid of them.

The last bit was the only logical reason I saw. It's just that for the last 20 hours they said they weren't going to destroy Orphan - that they did end up saving Cocoon was an afterthought. It was just the sudden, unexplained change in their thought process that was so confusing.

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
Yeah, though they did save cocoon, there's no way they (except vanille and fang, I guess) knew that would have happened, unless the party knew something I didn't. It just didn't make any sense. Even though it would mean becoming Cie'th, it felt like everyone would have agreed to not kill Orphan and walk away. Except, again, Fang.

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Winks posted:

I don't think using Ragnarok to save Cocoon is really subverting anything. The Pulse falcie didn't want the Cocoon falcie to succeed in summoning Lindzei, but also wanted to destroy the Cocoon falcie. Assumably the war of transgression is fought before there's enough people on Cocoon for them to do so. After losing and time passes that's no longer true and they have to succeed through different means.

I don't know why people believe Robopope. Robopope is the archenemy of the Pulse falcie that made the party l'cie in the first place. Just assume everything he says is a lie except for stuff you can independantly verify.

Is this sequel stuff? The name Lindzei was never mentioned, as far as I know (I assume it's the "Maker") and the intentions of the Pulse falcie were never explained other than that they just... were.

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
Huh, and I thought I was paying good attention. Thanks.

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
I always thought the 100% ending was dumb anyway and like to pretend it ends with the standard good one.

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
If you're going to waste so much time JP farming why not just use the glitch?

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
Just ordered XIII-2. Figure if the battle system is as fun as it was in XIII, it's probably worth it.

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
I never really find much fun with postgame stuff anyway, so that's not much of a problem. Hopefully the pacing isn't too bad, but eh, worst case scenario that's $15 down the drain.

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Azure_Horizon posted:

I know, it's about as terrible as Final Fantasy VIII is.

What did you say to get it, anyway?

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
Yeah that's really loving weird.

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

RagnarokAngel posted:

When I call a company "evil" it's usually because they do something like employ third world slave labor or knowingly release shoddy products that could get someone injured or killed. Not "published a few games I personally didn't like".

Third world problems :rolleyes:

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
FF9 is cool but not exciting gameplay- or story-wise until after Dali, I think. And I always dread Gizamaluke's Grotto. It still has really neat setpieces up to that point, but the plot doesn't keep up with it to match.

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Cardboard Fox posted:

IX's introduction is still my favorite of any Final Fantasy. It has all the things I look forward to in a fantasy story intro:

1. Set up main characters. Check.
2. Show the antagonist and make him/her do something that makes them look like the antagonist. Check.
3. Show the main setting and theme of the game. Check
4. Have a series of interesting events that ends the introduction. Check.
5. Make the player interested in the next event(Evil Forest). Check.

Although, gameplay wise, I think all Final Fantasy games are slow when it comes to combat. Maybe because the internal combat mechanics are boring and in need of a massive amount of extra mechanics that present themselves at a later time to make them interesting.

Sorry, I misspoke: I think the opening is absolutely awesome (I spend so much time in that sword fight, oh my god), but after you get to the evil forest it slows down substantially, only picking up pace again after Dali. Dali, I think, even though there's the huge plot revelation, is still the absolute slowest and most boring area in the game.

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
The Dawn of Souls bonus dungeon was a great idea! Who doesn't want to play endgame-level enemies with guys that level 20 guy who died in the beginning of the story?

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

precision posted:

Eh, I think it's both. Yes, at the time it was pretty goddamn glorious and amazing. However, any time I go back and try to play it, I just get bored somewhere around the time you meet Red XIII. After the focused and tight plot of Midgar, I feel like the rest of the game is just... aimless. And not in the good way, like the World of Ruin in 6. Also gently caress the Golden Saucer segment, that is just so boring unless it's your first time through.

By contrast, I've replayed 9 a few times and I always have fun, it's almost front-to-back engaging and there's rarely a time when you're not experiencing a sense of wonder and fun.

After my first time, I found evil forest to dali to be a bit boring, and that one area with Ramuh, but other than that I 100% agree. It's probably my favorite FF.

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Electromax posted:

FFXIII Majora's Mask?

Better comparison might be Radiata Stories since that's a tri-Ace game with the same gimmick

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
You think stealing gives you mad items, just wait til you get to The Best Minigame.

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
You do but it's three matches.
Been playing through it with a friend for the past couple weeks and I'm remembering just how obnoxious the Mognet sidequest is (very). Chocobo totes makes up for it but seriously who thought up this moogle poo poo that falls apart if you miss one letter

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Azure_Horizon posted:

I like the Mognet sidequest because it emphasizes exploration and most of the letters are well-written/entertaining.

I distinctly remember that if you miss one or two of them, you're disqualified from the whole sidequest (because there are some moogles you can't reach again, iirc). Encouraging exploration is good, but permanently missable fairly large sidequests aren't. (Jumprope and Hippaul Racing are both tiny in comparison so it's not a big deal that they vanish, imo)

VVVVV

BEADS AND SASHES 4 LYFE

fronz fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Sep 6, 2012

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
By Luca, we can safely say that Seymour really doesn't give a poo poo about his mother, and Yuna knows her only through having a brief chat with her fayth. If the power comes from the bond, then there ain't gonna be much power there.

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
Quite the contrary, really. Game wasn't even moderately fun enough to make up for it, either.

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
I think To Zanarkand is probably one of the most memorable songs in the series (or maybe Hymn of the Fayth, on account of it's the most prominent loving song in the game and even has a plot point (though I can't even remember Garnet's song)), so I'm not surprised at all you'll find a million hits for FFX on youtube!

Also tri-Ace/tri-Crescendo are amazing and should do all the soundtracks

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JX9rme2ZU18

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
XIII's soundtrack is actually really good, I think, that song is just so hilariously out of place I'll remember it more than any of the rest.
Yet I still whistle it when playing XIII-2 :(

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
XIII-2 is absolutely the better game of the two. It does have some issues (some of the fragments are absolutely tedious to get, holy poo poo Academia 4XX; it's possible to overlevel by doing areas higher-level than you fairly early, or just fighting every single encounter all the time), but these issues pale in comparison to XIII's. I like it a lot, and I'm working on getting all the fragments now.

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
Is it possible to buy the DLC on PC or something because my PS3 has no net til next week

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Cardboard Fox posted:

I have to wonder if this may ever happen with IX. Like, one day I decide to replay it and I notice a severe flaw that I hadn't noticed.

No worries, FFIX is flawless :smug:

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

ImpAtom posted:

Card game is pretty boring and lacks any of the tangible benefits of FFVIII's. :colbert:

I CAN'T HEAR YOU LA LA LA LA

I thought the card game was kinda fun. It didn't take me long to figure out, and I didn't start playing until my cards were actually reasonable, but I had a decent amount of fun with it (even if it was pretty self-contained).

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
The main advantage of playing the Dawn of Souls version of FF2 is so that you can play it without having to spend any effort thinking about the mechanics. Just hit stuff until it dies and maybe level up Toad a bunch.

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
Can y'all shut the gently caress up about actual anime and just argue about our anime video games instead

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
I don't think there's ever been a tri-Ace game I've been apathetic about. I absolutely loved it (the 3 VPs, radiata stories, SO2, XIII-2 if that counts) or hated it (everything else I think)

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
Alternatively don't play IV in any form because that game blows.

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
If you play it make sure you never grind and you don't quest to areas that are clearly over your level (because you might level up too much there). You kind of have to intentionally keep your level down to keep a challenge. I did, and I had a lot of fun.

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
That city and that rear end in a top hat dinosaur outside the first city are the only parts of that game I actually remember

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Griever posted:

I'm playing through XIII-2 at the moment and I am loving it so far, but I've yet to see the supposedly terrible ending. It's just so much better than XIII in every way that it almost (only almost) redeems XIII in my eyes. Just don't take it too seriously and try to enjoy the vastly improved combat system and monster mechanics.
I kinda bought most of the DLC despite originally being annoyed that it wasn't in the game by default. I justified it by waiting for the game to drop in price and using the savings to basically pay squeenix directly.
Who doesn't love Gilgamesh? Wrong people, that's who.

The ending owns, and might have been the best part of the game :colbert:

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
Yeah, about 400 Academia is when I realized I was starting to steamroll everything, and also when I started avoiding all enemy encounters for the next area or so. Made Academia 600 a BITCH (loving behemoths) but the difficulty was reasonable.
Honestly, it's possible to overlevel in every RPG, but it's just way too easy in XIII-2. If they'd had monsters give you less XP the game probably would have been fine.

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
How are battles in XIII slow of all things?
Taejin's Tower is one of the hardest areas if you didn't spend your time doing those hunt areas to level up. I was underleveled for it, unlike the rest of the game.

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
No, if you leveled a monster with nothing but Potent poo poo it would end up better no matter what your focus was.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
Noctis pulls in 19th despite not actually, like, existing. Onion Knight makes list while being less of a character than Noctis.