Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

Schwartzcough posted:

On the other hand, you may end up with 3 thieves and a berserker.

Or three berserkers and a knight.

And still manage to finish it. That was ridiculously impressive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

Schwartzcough posted:

I guess the real question is: why were you doing Fork Tower with that group? For a lot of 4JF teams, there's really no point in getting more than 1 or 2 tablets, or doing Fork Tower.

Titan's Axe?

Also what Kryosiris said.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

Saigyouji posted:

On the note of gimmick runs, I just completed a solo Cecil run of FFIV DS. It was interesting, but not exactly something I would hasten to do again.

I'm slowly working on this myself, albeit for the GBA version. I'm only up to just before Baigan, but I'm curious how you managed to get past the Trap Doors in the Sealed Cavern. I don't recall any reflect items being available at that point, and I didn't think Cecil was fast enough to kill them before they killed him.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

Hit or miss Clitoris posted:

Freelancer inherits ALL positive stat gains and passive abilities of Mastered Classes, except obvious ones like Berserk, and one other that isn't coming to mind.

Necromancer's Undead is the only other innate class passive that a Freelancer doesn't get. Makes sense, because those two would kinda make the class worse rather than better.

E; Admittedly, by the time you get a Necromancer normally this is a non-issue but still.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Auron was a combination of seeing all the Memory Spheres and catching a bunch of monsters I think??

Just catching monsters (need the guy to make a total of 10 Area/Species Creations); the spheres give him more overdrives. So, it's another one that's tedious but not difficult.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

SpazmasterX posted:

Sidenote: Despite what you may think, Death is not ultimately the best weapon junction. Pain is. Plenty of stuff is immune to Death, but almost nothing is immune to Darkness, Silence, AND Poison.

This just makes me remember how sticking Meltdown in your Status-Atk slot doesn't make your attacks inflict Vit 0. The rest of the game is horribly unbalanced and easily broken, so why bother with that one little thing? :saddowns:

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

Dr Pepper posted:

And, you know, your anger and rage turning you into a horrible monster.

Only if you envied people who were still alive, for some reason. If you didn't, then being dead was a minor inconvenience at best. It sure as hell didn't bother the numerous people you encountered through the game who were really dead the whole time.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

So I'm at the end of my most recent FF8 playthrough and I still don't understand what the gently caress is up with Griever at the end.

Griever : 8 :: Necron : 9

He exists just to give you something extra to fight because Ultimecia on her own is the hugest pushover in a game full of giant pushovers (I think Scan gives you some silly in-universe explanation, but no one cares because who uses Scan anyway and also the plot is the least interesting thing in 8 to begin with). And then the fight just keeps going. And going. And going.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

Ah, right, yeah. Good point; that was a bad analogy, since I completely forgot that Necron was infinitely more relevant to the overall plot. I suppose I deserved that for not playing 9 in a while.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

Zombies' Downfall posted:

Holy poo poo, that's certainly not in any translation I've ever played. Is that the DS game, or did I just miss it in FF4A? Huh. Is Zeromus a separate hate-based entity that possessed Zemus the sorceror?

I think it's mostly in all versions of the game, though more implied than anything else. Basically: Golbez is Cecil's brother and their dad is a moonman who came to Earth because reasons. Their mom, meanwhile, was a regular Earth woman which makes Golbez and Cecil half-moonmen.

Golbez is bitter or angry about something or other because, uh, reasons. This makes him easily influenced by Zemus, because FuSoYa and the other moonmen crystals thought was a bit of a bastard so they sealed him away which made his hatred more powerful and lets him mind control people who are angry/jealous (see also: Kain, who is very jealous, because Cecil bones Rosa and he doesn't), but especially moonmen because reasons.

Being locked up, let Zemus' hate fester and turn into Zeromus who is more of a concept, than an actual person. He's hatred personified, kinda like all the Ancient Greek primordial gods, it makes it easy to forget that.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

ShadeofDante posted:

Like, it's not really obvious if it'd take place before the rise of Cocoon or after the fall?

Everywhere is chronologically after the fall. It's just that some are more after than others; ??? basically means in most cases that it's outside the normal flow of time, but in that case I think it means it'd be 4 digits rather than 3.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

Aureon posted:

So, the last image means that hp rec is really hard to come?

I think, judging from the pricing, that it means money will be hard to come by more than anything else.

Then again, this is Final Fantasy so that can't be right.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

A lot of them weren't that bad, merely tedious.

Then you had Kimahri's butterfly bullshit. Done it once, never doing it again.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

Slider posted:

I really don't think you need that high of luck, maybe like 100-150 and then a combination of evasion/accuracy(which are easier to grind than luck spheres).

With high enough luck (around 220), you can have 0 Accuracy and Evasion and still hit every time and dodge most things. Luck does the job of both of them combined, only it effectively does it better because of the way the hit rate is calculated. Having 150 luck and a high evasion/accuracy means you'll still get hit more than you think you should, and miss about a quarter of the time too.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

Krad posted:

SE made their first mistake the moment they merged with Enix.

Hey, this led to Dragon Quest VIII and IX existing and being awesome. This is perfectly okay. :colbert:

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

pretend to care posted:

We need a Tales thread :colbert:

We've had one for almost 5 years.

...Maybe it's time someone made a new one, actually. Huh.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

Galuf can still be a Mime/Gladiator/Oracle/Necromancer/Cannoneer even without sprites. He's just invisible in battle, and appears as a Freelancer in the menu.

The White Dragon posted:

If everyone's stuck as a Mime, all they'll have is Item and Mimic :eng99:

Mimes can equip Rods. :getin:

...Okay, yes, I know reaching Karnak will be painfully difficult/flatout impossible but still.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

Fungah! posted:

Feel like it'd be possible, just incredibly miserable. Siren would be the big brick wall, her gimmick would take a lot of finagling to get around. The good news is that once you're past her, Magissa/Forza shouldn't be too bad and Garula's a joke with the ice rod, so it's relatively smooth sailing to Karnak.

I think Siren and Magissa/Forza would be the other way around, really.

Siren'd be more than doable by hitting her with Potions in her Zombie form. Magissa/Forza would be a lot more slow and roundabout since they don't have anything you can take advantage of, unless you use the Frost Rod there... but then you're screwed come Garula. With decent equipment from Carwen, and the flail from the graveyard, it'd certainly be doable eventually. Just might take a while longer than usual.

E; Thinking on it now, the next boss that'd be difficult would be the Sandworm due to the way it moves around.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

Arrrthritis posted:

Indeed. Liam O'Brien plays a mean Kain. Also Cecil sounds very child-ish.

The only thing about the DS voice acting that I couldn't get over for a little while was how Edward was voiced by Viral Sam Riegel.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

Hoping that someone this year gets an even worse team than Trasson did: 1 Thief (or, hell, Monk for the particularly daring) and 3 Berserkers. :getin:

Lotus Aura fucked around with this message at 09:55 on May 9, 2013

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

RME posted:

So someone just found a new sidequest in Final Fantasy IX

Looking at the requirements in the video description, I'm not surprised that it wasn't found early on. Rather, I'm surprised that for all the people that have undoubtedly trawled through all the minutia in the code no one found it before now.

...And given the arcanely bullshit requirements, that's definitely an FF9 quest alright. What I don't get, is how you're actually meant to do it. Doesn't gaining access to Memoria shut you out of every town in the game by having their entrances blocked by Iifa Tree roots or something?

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

It can be paralysed, and becomes a lot less tedious if it runs out of MP. So use Dazers and Magic Hammer.

TehGherkin posted:

Also, in relation to Yuffie, if I screw up once ("Hey, I remember I have to choose the right dialogue choices, good thing there's a save point right the-gently caress you.") do I have to wait 'til I get to the next part of the world or whatever to encounter her again or can i just run around in the forest outside Junon?

You can fight her in the same forest until you get her if you want.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

ApplesandOranges posted:

In all fairness CPU is a pretty big overhaul from the original, especially since you have Fusoya over Kain in that battle.

This is not different. You had FuSoYa instead of Kain at that point in the non-DS versions too.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

That loving Sned posted:

I think VII has the most diverse cast of enemies, but I'm sure someone knows of a Final Fantasy games with more unique enemy sprites/models.

VIII has entirely unique models for every enemy, from what I remember. There's maybe 2 or 3 that are somewhat similar (Elnoyle and Elvoret being the most obvious), but that's about it.

e; IX has only a handful of recolours, made to differentiate between friendly and non-friendly enemies. Aside from that one mechanic, I'm pretty sure they're all unique as well but I don't remember IX anywhere near as well.

Lotus Aura fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Jun 9, 2013

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

Thievery posted:

Tetra Master was always my favourite [...] But I never really played Triple Triad - all the stuff about rules changing on continents and so on was too much to take in when I was 11.

I really don't know how you can like Tetra Master and think Triple Triad was too complicated. TT was simple; Tetra Master was unnecessarily convoluted and was also far, far too random in numerous ways.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

WeaponBoy posted:

Now, we just need a giant stuffed cat for the characters to shoot doom lasers from...

Giant cat godzilla is great, but I can't wait to drop the moon on a bunch of dudes.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

Mega64 posted:

FF5's probably the lightest main FF game simply because all the other games are just so drat dark.

I'm pretty sure it doesn't need to be compared to the others to be the most light-hearted in the series.

Of course, it's also the best for completely unrelated reasons though stuff like that helps too.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

bobtheconqueror posted:

Ok. I totally glossed over there being an overdiety that screwed with things in XIII, although the linked cutscene mentions the Maker and Her Providence.

Oh no, you didn't gloss over it. The entire loving game did. So much so that whole "Etro's where the eidolons came from" thing is... the exact opposite of what the main plot tells you. XIII is a lot of things but well written it most definitely isn't.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

That thing with the shield is impressive and all... but there's no chance you saw that in-cutscene when playing, was able to read it and knew exactly what it meant.

Winks posted:

Here's the applicable datalog:

Yeah, notice how I didn't mention those things. Because I never read them. Because you should never have to. That the game only points out Etro's involvement in them at all is precisely what I meant.

v Is it...? Well, that's a cool detail if true except the obvious flaw is that there's no way you can read that when actually playing. You still have to go out of your way to see it, know what's written and then make that comprehensible. If anything, that's even worse!

Lotus Aura fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Jun 19, 2013

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

Mazed posted:

Why are the playable characters all dudes? :v:

Usually FF is better about that.

I'm curious about where the 3 women in the party are too. I'd assume they just haven't been revealed yet for one reason or another, but I'm not sure if that's really the case. The 5 we have now seem like they would work just fine as is, so it stands out as being incredibly odd.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

Vadun posted:

Where does his show up? Is it part of the timber maniacs magazines? I don't recall ever seeing that before for some reason

On disc 3, near the start there's a bit where one of the Laguna sequences is him filming a movie with a gunblade. His stance there is identical to Seifer's. It's not really much of a stretch to presume that Seifer's modelling himself after Laguna in that movie, especially since it's even called The Sorceress' Knight.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

Fang being back is awesome, but I'm kinda curious as to what's up with Serah being both alive and evil.

Beating up Noel's gonna be so drat fun from the looks of things too, wow.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

CottonWolf posted:

I'd absolutely play a XIII spin off that was purely Sazh riding about rebuilding civilization on Pulse via haulage jobs and generally being awesome.

As much as I would prefer a spinoff about Sazh being awesome, I just don't trust Square enough to manage that without turning into into Dirge of Cerberus again. At least with Lightning as the main character there's still the hope that they know what they're doing, and so far they seem to be doing a good job with it.

Lotus Aura fucked around with this message at 13:52 on Jul 5, 2013

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

Just fighting them isn't that tough. It's that they also have an obscenely low catch rate, or whatever, is the main problem. Even with the boost, it still requires tons upon tons of fights to actually get them.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

Mega64 posted:

The Japanese/US versions apparently had a ATB bug that led to glitchy stuff like double-turns or skipped turns or something. I don't remember the details exactly, but the European version did have those bugs fixed, so that's the best one to get.

There's also another bug in that all the post-game weapons count as armour for elemental/status benefits. So, stuff like the Piggy Stick inflicting Pig doesn't work; instead, it grants immunity to Pig. That was also fixed in the EU version, but US and JP v1.1 had the EU fixes as well.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

ApplesandOranges posted:

The only card that's absolutely amazing for the time you get it and needs more than an hour of playing TT would be Gilgamesh for the Holy Wars, off the top of my head.

Even then, it's not worth the hassle because you only get 10. Meanwhile, you can go and grab Laguna's card and that mods to 100 Heroes.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

Oxxidation posted:

The rest of the game was an unremarkable mongrel mish-mash, and its sequel was even worse.

Yeah, seriously. I wanna know what version of XIII everyone else seems to have played where the music didn't suck, because the one I played only had 3 tracks that are even memorable and one of those was memorable for how poo poo it was (that one being The Vile Peaks). Meanwhile, Blinded by Light is only memorable due to sheer repetition and it getting pounded in your skull ad infinitum. Well, the first few seconds are at least. Sunleth Waterscape is pretty much the same but due to being repeated across three games instead of just two. I'd say that's the only one that even qualifies as being "good" but I'm not sure if that's because I really think so or due to some kind of musical version of Stockholm Syndrome.

And since I had to actively look up the name of the Vile Peaks one, I learned in the process that apparently the OST is four discs long. I wasn't aware XIII had enough music for two discs, never mind four.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

Honey Badger posted:

I feel like we played totally different games or something. The regional rules were kind of cool on their own, but at the end of the game when you are trying to play people in the Ragnarok or go challenge the Queen of Cards, it is not even remotely fun. "Oh, how about we play with Random, Elemental, No Open, Direct, and Plus Combos!" Yeah gently caress that. It just turned into a jumble of the worst possible rules unless you went out of your way to spread the good ones and eliminate the bad ones.

That's because the Queen ignores all the rules as they are and uses whichever ones she wants, which is all the bad ones and Elemental. The CC Club on Ragnarok just use the same rules as various areas, so if you're getting the bad ones there then, yeah, that's really your fault but at least you can spread and eliminate on Ragnarok. But by then, it's a non-issue and the only CC Club person worth playing is Diamond and even that's just to regain otherwise unique stuff you modded. Disc 4 Triple Triad is pretty much just there for grinding junction abilities, and it doesn't even hide it.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

Dross posted:

If you get Jecht Shot from the cutscene right before that I don't see how you can possibly lose.

You get one shot with it, in the second half of the game. If Tidus got enough EXP to level up to be able to use it (more likely than not, but it's possible he won't hit level 3). Even then you're on a stricter time limit than usual because partway through, Wakka gets subbed in. The Jecht Shot doesn't make it guaranteed, it just makes it possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

Schwartzcough posted:

All the little branches are small and it's pretty obvious you should grab those before moving on down the line, so there's not any real "decision points." Everyone's Tidus is going to be exactly the same until the end.

You can still have deviations within those intended roles though, so, no, everyone's Tidus is not necessarily going to be exactly the same. If I don't want my Tidus to learn, say, Flee because it's completely useless, then he doesn't have to. If I don't want an absolutely worthless +1 to Accuracy or Evasion then I can skip it. There is still some choice in what you get and when with the Sphere Grid; I can skip Haste(ga) if I really want, then decide later that, no, that was a dumb idea and can pick it up later or carry on without it anyway.

e; Even then, you have all those spheres that either teach you abilities someone else has learned, or let you warp around to other spaces someone occupies or to nodes activated. Even with the standard Sphere Grid, there's plenty of possible permutations possible just from bouncing around as/when you please. You can rigidly adhere to getting Tidus all of "his" abilities when they come up, yes, but the choice is there to do other things as well.

Lotus Aura fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Jul 18, 2013