Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Man trying to get 100% in X-2 is like the most stressful thing ever. There are so many little things you can miss that'll screw you out of like 0.1%. I'm glad I never tried it back on PS2 because there's no way I could've done it without a guide.

I've kinda run into a roadblock at the end of Via Infinito though. This is the first time I've ever reached the end and Trema/Paragon are wrecking me. I looked around a little online and it seems like in the original version just about everyone beat all the difficult bosses in this game using that Cat Nip/Trigger Happy exploit that isn't possible anymore.

X-2's optional endgame stuff is interesting though. It's a neat change of pace from X where you can eventually be doing 99,999 with every attack if you're willing to waste enough time on the sphere grid/monster arena. I guess X-2 feels better balanced (Mega Tonberries are terrible though, I have no idea what they were thinking)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Szurumbur posted:

I love the simple trophy descriptions, they hide the difficulty so well. "Defeat Trema" or "Complete Shinra's Bestiary"? Oh boy, let me get right on that!

Also if I'm not mistaken FF X-2 completion percentage comes from all scenes, and some are mutually exclusive (such as the decision on the sphere), and the overall % one can potentially gain is higher than a hundred - so if you are very close to 100% just do whatever you can, start the NG+ and do something differently. There are also different outcomes to Mt. Gagazet and Guadosalam conflicts, so you can gain some additional percentages from there, and you'd be able to skip cutscenes, too.

Also don't skip the "Fahrenheit flies through the air" cutscenes, they add percentages too!

Oh well that's good to know. I have a feeling I'm going to end up with 99% because my % stopped matching up with the walkthrough in chapter 4 even though I was following it exactly. The only explanation I can think of is that I didn't have the Calm Lands publicity thing at max level yet and the guy in the guide probably did. I beat Trema so trophy wise all I need to do now is the bestiary, Gunner's Gauntlet, 99 chain and then defeat Vegnagun.

I also have to do Last Mission which is something I didn't even know existed until I got the game, so I dunno how that'll go

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

So I put like 65 hours into X-2 getting all the trophies and...

Luckily it sounds like getting 100% on a NG+ is pretty simple so it's not all bad I guess? I'll probably play this Last Mission thing first.

Dragonatrix posted:

Did you remember to sleep in the Fahrenheit's cabin/inn/place once every chapter?

Because I sure as hell didn't. And that's the only thing that screwed me out of it! :v:

Yeah I remembered to do that. It's crazy how many little things you can miss, I wish I knew what it was in my game.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Silver Striker posted:

I just remembered I've yet to play through FFX/2 HD. How much would a reasonable 100% run take me? (Killing all optional bosses, etc) I'm down for a good chunk of time, but I don't want to stare into the maw of madness. I'd also be using a guide for X-2, for the aforementioned reason.

I got all the trophies in both games and the amount of time it took to complete the sphere grid/monster arena stuff in X is crazy. I reached the point where you can go fight the final boss in like 55 hours but I had 90 something hours on my file by the time I got all the trophies. X-2 took something like 70 plus 10-15 for Last Mission.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I always liked this screenshot from the iOS version of V

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Mak0rz posted:

Ugh. I just hit my first "This really needs to be changed" gripe about FFIX: Unleashed. The Zidane vs. Amarant fight. The only way to keep up with the damage dealt to you is with an Auto-Potion + Hi-Potion combination, and then it just becomes an endurance game where the only measure of "endurance" is how many Hi-Potions you have in stock.

It took two Trances (five Scoop Arts)*, FORTY Hi-Potions, and countless attacks in between to finally take him down. I wish I timed it. :shepicide:

* EDIT: I did not have High Tide equipped.

That sounds really bad but are there things like this for the other PS1 FF games? I thought it was just VI that has a billion romhacks but it'd be cool to play a harder version of VIII

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

NikkolasKing posted:

http://www.insanedifficulty.com/board/index.php?/topic/2922-final-fantasy-viii-requiem-v121/

I invested about 120 hours into this and that's only the actual game tally, not including my numerous deaths and times I had to retry certain things.

Ironically my least favorite FF is now the one I spent the most time on and I owe it all to this mod making the gameplay actually challenging and interesting. I never bothered with Triple Triad in vanilla, I never even came close to learning about the Refining system in any real detail, but here I had to make use of both of them to survive.

And I loved it.

If you do play it, here are some tips from an older post I made on it:

You won't need all those Holy Wars against Ultimecia but it be smart to have at least 10 of them, maybe 20. Altogether, the four forms have about 2,000.000 HP and took me about an hour-and-a-half to beat. Well, on my successful run - it took me about 10 or so attempts before I beat her. I gotta tell you. hearing this exact moment of "The Extreme" right as the message popped up "Draw Apocalypse" was unbelievably awesome and tense. After an hour of boss fights I knew that meant I was so close...so close...to victory. It just so happens I lost that attempt but I beat her next time.
I forget my exact party set-up for beating her...I'd recommend Quistis though because her Level 3 Acid is the only easy way to inflict Vit 0 and you will totally want that to speed up the final boss fights.

Of course I've talked to enough people on here to know a lot of them hate the idea thing. It's very likely you will too. But I loved it. It redeemed FFVIII to me. I'd do an LP of it if I was actually funny or smart and my computer didn't suck so horribly.

Thanks for this, it sounds pretty cool. I'll have to check it out

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Szurumbur posted:

So what is the theoretical minimum amount of towers/which towers one should calibrate in order to get the Dressphere (or is that tied to Episode Complete/Mascot?)?

I'm fairly sure you don't need to do that minigame at all. I got all the trophies in X-2 and totally ignored it

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I was hoping there'd be an HD version of XII but maybe it wouldn't be such a smart move for Square Enix since everyone apparently hates it

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

The way to win is to play the theme on Tifa's piano in FFVII

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Gologle posted:

Robin Williams is dead, yo! Irvine managed to assassinate somebody after all!

Poor Headmaster Cid :(

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I hope he just keeps going until all the characters are gone and he is Cloud

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

There is a 100% chance he will be voiced by Troy Baker

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

NikkolasKing posted:

I guess he's kinda drifted into "the mainstream" if you will while the others are at best only famous in anime circles, but what about Tara Strong (Rikku)? She has been in everything ever. I looked up her Wikipedia page once and realized with a great shock I've been hearing her in things my entire life without realizing it.

Laura Bailey (Serrah in the XIII games) is another one of those voice actors that's in everything

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

NikkolasKing posted:

X Cid never did anything dickish as far as I can recall. He just wanted to keep his niece alive.

Yeah but then in X-2 he turns Zanarkand Ruins into a tourist attraction

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Brother Entropy posted:

Trash mob fights took so long because you played it ridiculously safe and used paradigms that barely do any damage. Medics should only come out when you need them and Sentinels honestly aren't required at all until post-game poo poo.

Yeah this is true. I beat all the story stuff without using any Sentinel paradigms and it was really only some of the later C'ieth Stone missions where using it became necessary. The Sab/Syn paradigms are really good but using them against random enemies is just a huge waste of time.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

AnotherGamer posted:

I never had much in the way of stylus instincts to begin with so switching over to buttons isn't really much of an issue. In addition to less ambiguous slide trigger detection, I also don't have to worry about slowly veering offcenter from the screen during parts with a lot of slide triggers and suddenly being unable to slide far enough in the direction the game wants me to.

Are you talking about the arrows? I dunno how you could run out of space, you literally just need to do a tiny flick in the right direction

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

AnotherGamer posted:

Well basically, I forget to move my hand back to the middle of the lower screen, and since tapping and holding work fine at any point of the screen, I don't notice it until too late. Furthermore, "tiny" flicks are never sufficient and I often fail to get them to register even with ridiculously exaggerated motions.

When I first got Theatrhythm I was having a lot of trouble with the arrows and it felt super inconsistent. After a while I realised it was because my motions were too big and when I started doing smaller flicks I had no problems with them anymore. (And I definitely don't need to stay in the center of the screen) If you check out this video, this is similar to how I do it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BeIgbcebdIA

But if you're doing that too then I'm not sure. It does seem like a lot of people are more comfortable with the button controls in the sequel so I guess the touchscreen controls just aren't for everyone.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I love that they're literally just driving around in a car and not hoverbikes or a mechanical chocobo or something

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Krad posted:

Look at all these Final Fantasies getting all this attention. When is it going to be VIII/IX/XII's turn? They also deserve some remakes, you know. :smith:

XII HD with that job system thing only Japan got seems like kind of a no brainer

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Looking through the songs they picked for FFXIV I was kind of disappointed that the song that plays during some FATEs didn't make it in

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IQGUA8juwxQ

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Does the level of your party matter at all online? I've only played one game online but his party was like 60 levels higher than mine. I couldn't tell if it mattered or not though because he was really bad

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Electric Phantasm posted:

Speaking of Lightning Returns I hope adornments return and you can put on more than one.

This is the power of next gen

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I played XII for around 80 hours but I can only remember like 3 songs

VIII was always my favourite FF soundtrack and I think Theatrhythm confirms it because its selection owns and I can't wait for Balamb Garden DLC

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I hope there is more DLC than what's in the JP version because I was hoping for that ridiculous boss theme from XIII-2

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UDPV_2_brck

Paradigm Shift also from XIII-2 would be cool too

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Can someone please tell me how to pronounce Seifer because that always bugged me. When I played Dissidia I realised I was probably saying it wrong because I was already messing up Ultimecia (and teedus)

It's See-fer right

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Necron looks cool as hell which is really all that matters for an RPG final boss

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I never finished Lightning Returns because I was abusing the time stop thing too much and finished the main quests and most of the side quests with like 5 days left and I didn't wanna fast forward through the rest of the days for some reason that I don't remember

I like the battle system a lot though and it's got a good soundtrack

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah the best part of that LP was when the guy who made the romhack posted in the thread and called himself a 'chocobrony'

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I think there was a guy who grinded to level 99 in the mako reactor at the start of FFVII which is almost more impressive to me than the low level challenge runs even though you could probably speed it up a lot with emulators

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I like Snow because Troy Baker's voice is cool

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I know a lot of people don't like FFXIII but man it looks so good

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I haven't played XIII in years but I remember thinking it was pretty much the best looking game I had ever played

Until Lightning Returns came along at least:

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Tae posted:

I am like 4 1/2 hours into it, and I cannot understand how a normal human being could understand the story if they didn't read every single codex about the world because they assume you know the very history of what a Cie is. Combined with the most ADD scenery writing that jumps back and forth for the worst mood whiplash ever, I don't know how people compared this to FFX.

On the other hand, Snow sounds a lot better in Japanese when he sounds like a typical shounen jokester than gruff, manly Troy Baker trying to do the lines.

Troy Baker Snow is good

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P7dOOy8kBJY

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I like the Ultimecia fight a lot except for the gimmick where you start with random party members because I only have 3 characters junctioned with good magic

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Cake Attack posted:

the soundtrack is pretty good.

also catchy, ~step into the rainbow~

The worst part is that while the battle theme is really good it's like a minute of build up which isn't great for a battle theme

Lightning Returns has a remix that starts off with the part after all the build up

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SqoeVm5fZuQ

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

So at this point MH4 is Monster Hunter x Metroid x Animal Crossing x Final Fantasy

what is happening

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

It'd be weird to play Lightning Returns without a time limit. Yeah they were probably too generous with it but I thought it was fun managing your time to get a bunch of poo poo done every day

I never actually beat the game though because I think I had like everything done by day 7 and wasn't sure what to do for the remaining days. I know you can skip time at inns or whatever but I was worried I might be underleveled if I skipped like 5 days

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Varance posted:

Or they can just keep milking FFXIV while developing FFXV-2 and Noctis Returns.

I got an email like a week ago about a new update for FFXI, it's crazy that they're still making money from that game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Tidus is ok but his outfit is probably one of the worst in the series. What were they even thinking