Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

It's not like you lose much progress if the RNG screws with you and a random encounter focus fires on your leader right away.

And if it keeps happening you might be too low-leveled or you're not being smart enough with your paradigms.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Controlling 3 characters at once in FFXIII's combat system sounds like a nightmare, there's just too much going on at once.

Also you can give your FFXIII party members general strategies that you change mid-combat; they're called Paradigms.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

penguinmambo posted:

Lightning is weird in that I'm surprised they haven't tried to cuten her up yet. It's still sort of novel to have a jrpg protagonist lady who is sorta serious and surly without her entire characterization being like that (basically the detached 'cool beauty' type Japanese schoolgirls like). I think that affects a lot in how people read Lightning. If Lightning was a dude we'd just see her a "sorta detached JRPG protagonist dude'. But because she manages that as a lady, which we dont see in games, people (especially teenagers) read her as this extremely capable and unflappable badass.

I wonder how much of people reading Lightning as a capable badass woman has to do with her having zero romantic stuff going on(in FFXII at least, haven't touched the sequel yet). With how often the important women in JRPGs(including FFs) end up playing second fiddle to their own romantic interests it was kind of refreshing to have a lead female protagonist have a story that doesn't eventually involve her hooking up with a guy.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Belzac posted:

I don't really see this all that much in FF to be honest. You could say Rosa falls into this because her defining factor is how much she means to Cecil but Leina/Faris and Terra/Celes don't really play out very cliched. You can make a case for Dagger, Yuna, and Aeris but all of them stand apart from their male love interest for a majority of their screen time and it's more on the male character to play up the love part.

gently caress Rinoa though.

Well, I can't talk too much about Dagger since I'm only now playing through FF9, but there was kind of a trend starting with FF7 where the leading lady seems like she'd be more important within the context of the world(either because she's the last of her race or daughter of the last guy to stop Sin) but then the leading man who seemed like just some guy ended up being just as, or even more important than her. It's not so much a 'defining factor' thing as much as a 'who's in the spotlight' thing. I haven't played far enough to know for sure, but I'm assuming Zidane's gonna end up a similar story.

This isn't really a criticism of FF or anything, just a trend that's gotten kinda stale and I like that FFXIII didn't keep it up.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Baalfrog posted:

Unlike Tidus, Auron has character, he has a proper goal in the game and during the game he is a center of a major plot twist. He is the best thing in the game drat it. What is wrong with people who think Tidus is better than him :/?

Tidus has all three of those things, though??? I mean if you don't like his character, fine whatever, but 'old grizzled samurai' isn't that much more of a character than 'fish-out-of-water goofball'.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Shaezerus posted:

Zeta Gundam as all hell up in this Final Fantasy.

I think I'd be able to forgive that outfit if it meant she gets a plane Paradigm down the line.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Modern JRPGs have broken me to the point that that last one looks wrong to my brain. It just doesn't parse right, it looks too plausible to worn in real life for Lightning.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

The GIG posted:

The few things I'll give 13 is that it's battle system worked really well when the solution the the battle you were in wasn't "Get three COM's, slam face on auto-battle until win music plays",

But why would you do that boring way of playing when you can win fights faster and more efficiently by actually playing the game in front of you?

At the very least go one COM two RAV to autobattle faceslam so it doesn't take an eternity to fill up that bar.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

I thought the final boss was fine(if a little long); if you managed to put up with some of the annoying fights in the endgame dungeons I don't see why the final boss would be a pain.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Lord help me, this is actually sounding kind of interesting.

Of course, it could totally fall apart in execution but at least it sounds like some neat ideas so far.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Donnor posted:

I believe all songs are unlocked by earning a certain amount of Rhythmia, which is just earned by playing songs on any difficulty and any mode.

Yeah, the only difference is that higher difficulties give you more Rhythmia. So it'll take you longer than someone moving onto the higher difficulties as they unlock them but it's not out and out impossible or anything.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

ConanThe3rd posted:

Oh yeah, what's your favorite tune? Generic Orchestra bit #1, #2, really crappy battle music with all the empowerment of Margaret Thatcher in a cold shower or the really loving annoying pop song? I just can't choose!

I mean at least FF8 had Man with the Machine Gun.

On the other hand...

(Blinded By Light is also really good yeah, it's way more listenable as an individual track than most other standard FF battle songs)

Brother Entropy fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Jan 13, 2013

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

NikkolasKing posted:

I've heard Chrono Cross' soundtrack was even better than Xenogears'. That's some very high praise and I need to see if it's true one of these days.

Chrono Cross is worth playing just for how goddamn good it looks and sounds. The story is kind of nonsense even if you're okay with what they did to connect it to Chrono Trigger but it's really aesthetically pleasing nonsense.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Schwartzcough posted:

The music was great, the visuals were awesome, and the battle system really isn't as bad as many make it out to be. The story was a bit of a mess, though...

My god, it's proto-FF13.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Trasson posted:

This is how your magic power doesn't get gimped when you're a Knight with !Black (Mostly. Lower levels of magic eg !Black Level 3 have a correspondingly lower base Magic).

God, I've been playing this game for almost a decade and for some reason I always just innately assumed that magic WOULD be gimped if you were using it with a physical class(except like, Mystic Knight). This'll probably make my next run more interesting.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

What I remember of that arc it was less 'yeah go kill Snow!' and more 'poo poo or get off the pot'. Hope had alot of anger towards Snow for his part in Hope's mom dying but he wasn't actually doing anything to resolve that, he was just stewing in his anger instead of moving on or focusing on the present problems at hamd. Lightning pushing him into taking action was more 'Will you really want to kill him when the opportunity is actually in your hands?'

It's been awhile since I played it though so my memory might be giving things too much credit.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

A piece of advice I'd give to someone going into XIII would be to pay attention to all the information the game gives(yes, introducing all the gameplay concepts takes way too long but knowing how stuff like stagger works is critical to being any decent at the game) and to remember that the game is pretty experimental for a JRPG and the things you don't usually see in JRPGs are done for a reason that will probably help you get into the mindset the game wants you to be playing in. Stuff like bringing you back to full HP after every fight or removing MP entirely or scoring/timing you after every single encounter and giving better rewards for higher scores all push you towards playing as efficiently and aggressively as possible without having to worry about resource conservation from fight to fight.

edit: also no matter how much you think the story is alright it will absolutely fall apart in the last act of the game so be prepared for that even if you do like the characters

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Snow was great because he was a Shonen Hero that neither any of the cast or the story wanted to put up with.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

It's getting really hard to tell whether people's complaints about 13 are serious or not.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Yohan Kebab posted:

Me too. FFX's story at least made some sense, the characters weren't poorly designed generic anime, the battle system is great, and it doesn't have a world map yet isn't completely linear.

I'll give you story but FFX was exactly as linear as XIII for 80% of the game and are we really so far gone that we're going to look at Lulu or Tidus' design and not call them poorly designed?

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

The dumb thing that bugs me about Bravely Default is the camera angle of the battle screen. Like, it's really clearly supposed to be evoking the classic '4 guys in a row on left side, enemies on the right side' deal but it just feels weirdly cramped and doesn't look right. Obviously not a dealbreaker since it's such a minor thing but it still gnaws at me when I play it.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

I don't remember him being in X or X-2 either, it does feel like it was more recently that they started consistently putting Gilgamesh in remakes and optional bossfights and the like.

But yeah one thing S-E's never stopped being decent at is keeping references to past games from becoming too obnoxious. You'll get your Cids or your Biggs/Wedges in the main story but the game won't nudge your shoulder and go 'hey here's something only us TRUE FF fans will understand wink wink'.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Gilgamesh Stumbles Through The Void would make a pretty sick roguelike now that I think about it.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Rei_ posted:

I picked up FF13 on a lark from a drug store cheapo bin, figuring it had been long enough that I could have my own opinions on it and like... It's good? Like sure, weapon upgrades looks tedious as hell, the crystarium may as well just be a flat job-based progression system and the and battle system is sort of hard to follow... But I really like all of these characters? Sazh is wonderful, Lightning's a LOT more interesting than I hoped, Hope's deal actually kind of makes sense? Like when you think about it rationally? Snow is an idiot and people are right to hate him? Like... Idk, i'm really enjoying it. It's also gorgeous and the music is great.

Like, mechanically it's overproduced and underdeveloped. But it's a really good character-driven story.

Do yourself a favor and take the time to understand what makes the battle system enjoyable(it's going ham with staggers and trying to beat fights as fast as you can, gently caress medics unless you're about to die) because the last third of the game has an absolute mess of a plot so it's only really enjoyable if you're liking the combat.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Lighting is actually really cool and popular as hell in Japan so pushing her is one of the smarter things SE has done recently. You don't have to like her but pretending to be speaking for The Fanbase by calling her awful and forced is kinda silly.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Isn't SE's 'focus' on mobile gaming mostly just re-porting the usual suspects(FF1-6, FFT, maybe a Chrono Trigger)? I'm not sure what's wrong with that, those are probably super small projects that make decent bank not taking much manpower or budget away from the Real Games.

I'll get worried when Bravely Third or DQXI gets announced for mobile.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

That only furthers my point that they're cheaply-made cashgrabs and won't be replacing console/handheld games anytime soon. :colbert:

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

bloodychill posted:

No one called bullshit on this so I'm doing it. Yeah, maybe Lightning is popular in Japan but not in other territories and yet, when it came to Final Fantasy, all the other territories only got more Lightning and SE actually declined to localize Bravely Default themselves. They've even declined to bring over some smart phone IP's as well. SE has been doing a pretty terrible job with their IPs outside Japan for a long while now.

ARR and recognizing BD's success have been a huge wake-up call to them and they've admitted as much. Hopefully they start making better calls. Chasing down the Type-0 translators with lawyers is probably not a good idea considering at this point, the ball is in SE's court to actually convince their western fanbase that they give a poo poo about them.

Where did I say they weren't making mistakes with their IPs? I just said 'more Lightning' has been one of their good steps because the Japanese fans showed that they liked Lightning, even if goons don't.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

bloodychill posted:

What I'm saying is that "more Lightning" in the west is equivalent to continuing to fumble their IPs. It is extremely fair for western fans to point at FF13 and its sequels and say "don't ever loving do that again to us" especially when lovely sequel sales numbers and stats in brand loyalty back them up.

So what, they just shouldn't have released the 13 sequels in the west at all? Would that have somehow been less of a fumble? Making more games with that engine + those assets seemed like kind of a no-brainer to help re-coup how much money 13 must've costed to make.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Well I mean, my original post that started this was in response to someone complaining that SE forced a bad character like Lightning on the fanbase for an entire generation or whatever so this is kind of a different discussion entirely. I feel like the sunk costs fallacy doesn't apply too heavily in this case because of the nature of re-using assets but I'm not feeling it strongly enough that I'll argue against the points you're raising.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Evil Fluffy posted:

People should only get worried if SE pushes Melfina from FF14. God what an annoying gently caress of a character. :gonk:

They put Y'shotla in Curtain Call for FF14's rep over Minfilla, I wouldn't be too worried if I was you.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Rei_ posted:

Once you sort of figure out to open each fight as SEN/SYN/MED and then transition into SEN/SAB/MED and then just unleash hell the second Imperil lands on poo poo, it got pretty simplistic but even then really banal trash mob fights took way too loving long. Every single fight in the game takes way too long, and the game tended to throw monsters at you that were just ridiculously time-consuming to fight effectively, even when you should be more than well-equipped to fight them.

Trash mob fights took so long because you played it ridiculously safe and used paradigms that barely do any damage. Medics should only come out when you need them and Sentinels honestly aren't required at all until post-game poo poo. One thing about FFXIII that it didn't really communicate well is that stuff like 'no MP or long-term resource management' and 'no Game Over screen if you lose a fight' skews the game towards random encounters being less about beating them in general and much more about beating them as quickly and efficiently as you can(it even grades you after each fight!).

Besides that though, I pretty much agree with your assessment. It's a clusterfuck in alot of ways but somehow I enjoyed it more than I hated it.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

DrPaper posted:

I too judge games solely on the genders of my party members and whether or not they include token representations of my gender

oh wait no I dont because im not an idiot

Please explain to me what's ridiculous about wanting women party members in a Final Fantasy game, something that's such a low bar to meet that basically every other Final Fantasy game that's ever been released has managed to do it.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

DrPaper posted:

judging an entire games content based on the gender of your party members is pretty triviliazing of that gender

id rather have well written characters of any race or gender, than someone shoved in to fill a quota

the last 3 games were very female focused, I dont see why having a focus on a group of guy friends on a road trip for the next one, which is a unique perspective to take the series needs to have a female shoved into it just because. Im not against such a character appearing, but decrying the game because of it is pretty stupid. I dont feel excluded because there's no female party member. I'd feel more upset if there was a token stereotypical girl thrown in for no reason, or as a love interest for these traveling bros to fight over.

That's just me, not sure how you males feel about it though.

Why are the only two options 'no women' and 'a token woman shoved in to fill a quota', though? Final Fantasy games have been overall pretty good about having female characters as interesting and well-characterized as the men in the same games and I don't think it's unreasonable to be disappointed that a new one would be lacking that.

Like, unless XV ends up being about maleness as a theme(which could be interesting but seems unlikely) I don't see how 'guy friends on a road trip' would be a more unique perspective than 'friends on a road trip'.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Tae posted:

Why is it unlikely? And are you seriously asking if there's a difference between having 1 girl there and having all of them being guys? Because it's a big difference.

I'm asking if the choice to have all the playable characters be dudes will actually mean something unique about the story itself or if it could've easily been a good mix of men and women like every other Final Fantasy is and they just chose not to for some reason.

...of course that's not exactly a question any of us can answer right now, so shrug, I'll just drop it for now. :v:

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

ThePhenomenalBaby posted:

I wanna run over a tonberry

Gonna need to grind some tire HP so that knife doesn't pop a flat.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Apparently FF14 is super heavy on the crossover throwback stuff too, down to bosses being literally "Gilgamesh from FF5 with the FF5 music playing", and being able to get mounts like Magitek Armor from FF6.

It's honestly not that heavy on it, that's just the stuff FF fans are naturally gonna gravitate towards talking about. They've struck a good balance between very obviously being a Final Fantasy game but without being in your face and constantly nudging your shoulder about 'hey, recognize THIS reference?'.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

LR had a less stupid-looking final boss.

I haven't seen LR's final boss but I know in my heart it looks less stupid.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

neongrey posted:

Did he finish it? The thread sort of went to poo poo, understandably, after the hack creator felt the need to inform everyone that he jerks it to cartoon horses.

Yup. iirc, the guy eventually did a patch that was just the mechanics changes but left the script intact. Still wouldn't recommend it to someone playing for the first time, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Iscar is at least one step more effort than changing the name of the protagonist's brother(-in-arms) who betrays him from Cain to Kain. :v: