Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
To start us off- I've heard it mention in a few places that oftentimes one's favorite Final Fantasy is the first one they ever played. How many of you are guilty of this? FF6 was the first one I played and it remains one of my favorite games of all time, so I've fallen into that trap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Himuro posted:

I wish FFCC had online. The game would be a top-tier FF it did.

I'll go on record as saying that Crystal Chronicles (at least the first entry) was ahead of its time, moreso than any other game I can think of. Excellent concept and design but Nintendo failed to realize that not everyone who owned a Gamecube also owned a GBA, much less the cable to connect the two. I went through that entire game in single-player and played some co-op with the one person I knew who also had the GC-GBA cable, but hell if I was ever going to find two more people with that cable.

I don't know if the Wii Crystal Chronicles had a similar setup with each player using a DS for a controller but if not then shame on Nintendo. And when Nintendo announced the Wii U a revival of CC was one of the first things I thought of (though it invites the whole "how many tablets per console" debate that I don't want to bring here)

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Amppelix posted:

Don't let the most momentous news of the year pass you by: Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles (the first one) is getting remastered for ps4 and switch
https://twitter.com/FinalFantasy/status/1039106212145586176
I can't believe how long this took to happen but also yesss this game owns and now it has online

I've been saying for years that this game was ahead of its time, now I get to put that to the test.

I hope they fix it so that you can have the different village jobs at max level without having to run several different characters through 10+ years of levels or whatever, the big bummer for me in single-player was getting locked out of a bunch of endgame equipment because I only had one player character maxed out.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
I had the player's guide and I seem to recall that for the top-level equipment you need a max-level Alchemist to give you the blueprints for the best weapon and armor, and then a max-level merchant to sell you the materials to craft them. Maybe I read that all wrong back then though.

Also yes, the race-specific super weapons were extremely dope.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Confession time: I haven't played any numbered Final Fantasies past VI. Guess I'm buying a Switch sooner or later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Cleretic posted:

I'd hope that a second S-E rep would have more of a Nintendo connection. Noctis hasn't even been on a Nintendo console yet, so I really hope it's not him (also I hate him and all his unlikeable friends that never shut up but that's different).

When Sakurai was first theorizing potential FF Smash characters, he was throwing around Bartz, Terra and for some reason FuSoYa, all good picks from the SNES era that have stood the test of time. That'd be the vein I'd expect, because nearly every Smash Ultimate newcomer has been someone who's been desired by fans for ages. If you want to go even further back, I think a classic FFI Black Mage would be a strong choice.

If you want to extend beyond FF, then the obvious choice is Dragon Quest, but I unfortunately don't know enough about it to think hard on that. The protagonist from Secret of Mana would be a decent pick as well, maybe taking cues from Ness and borrowing techniques from his party. My hope for a second S-E rep would be Crono, though, who I think is a pretty good chance.

Sora for Smash you cowards