Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene
Huge fan of IX and XIII-2, hate VIII and XII the most. With XIII-2 I'm a bit excited for where they're taking the series next.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

The White Dragon posted:

Nothing of importance or even interest happens. However, you do get a new SUPER BONUS CLASSIC FINAL FANTASY MONSTER in your party! Everyone is still dead. Remember to buy Final Fantasy 13-3!!!!!

I'm down. 13-2 was fantastic and I will gladly get a 13-3.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

Pesky Splinter posted:

"FFXIII-3: The quest for more money", or "FFXIII-3: Milking the cash cow so hard, it makes powdered milk" or "FFXIII-3: MTCCSHIMPM" if that won't fit on a box.

Or FF13-3: This game will be even more fun than the already fun 13-2.

:/

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

OatmealRaisin posted:

Hopefully FF13-3 takes out those pesky encounters. I mean, the game already plays itself, but it still makes me push A every 30 seconds? I just want to watch anime characters do anime things all anime day!

The game plays itself? So Noel and Serah just do things without you pressing any buttons? drat, when did we get an FF12-2?

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

Mrs. Badcrumble posted:

I wish we had instead of the FF13 games, tbqh.

I don't. I don't need more games that are sleep aids.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

Momomo posted:

FFXIII, for all the flack it gets, has significantly better Nomura designs than like any other game he's done. It's like he tried not being himself when making them.

Agreed. Like I've said quite a few times, Fang is one of my favorite FF designs ever.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

Mrs. Badcrumble posted:

I think the biggest problem with his designs is seeing them *animated* in 3D. Yes, I've seen the animated works based on his designs, but I still think it wouldn't look like a moving Amano painting unless you're one of those people who thinks that things like framing and composition aren't immensely loving important to Amano's art.

Amano's 1 minute video for his manga Deva Zan is what his art looks like in 3D and it completely shits all over Nomura bigtime. Still Square's best artist.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

This Jacket Is Me posted:

I'm watching beloved Mel Gibson classic movie What Women Want right now, and I'm noticing that the music playing as Gibson frantically searches for the suicide case sounds surprisingly like the music in FF13 when a character is going over his/her internal monologue during their allotted "character arc" scenes.

In a way, it really helps tie the emotions of the movie together. Can't believe I've never noticed that before.

FF13 had a lot of incredibly great music for character scenes and arcs. Definitely a great part about the soundtrack.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

NikkolasKing posted:

Every area in XIII bored me so much that they could have been playing selections from my favorite bands and I still wouldn't have noticed.

Except the Sunleth Waterscape. Beautiful area and wonderful song. Also I liked when Snow's Theme would play since I think it fit really well given all the action.

The tedious levels are probably why I primarily remember the battle themes and XIII definitely had several good ones.

I still prefer XII's soundtrack. I might be the only person on this forum who likes it but whatever. I can listen to the Boss Theme or To the Place of the Gods or Cerobi Steppe or Theme of the Empire or a ton of other tracks all day.

e:

That is the only song they've covered where I didn't much care for the original at all so their cover made it awesome.
XII's soundtrack is the definition of elevator music to me. I could not have been less impressed by a soundtrack than XII's. XIII restored my faith in FF music.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

Pesky Splinter posted:

I just wish X-2's music wasn't comprised of 30 second loops.

And it's a shame too, considering that some of the songs aren't too shabby, but they get absolutely no chance to develop.

While I don't love the whole of X-2's soundtrack, its version of Zanarkand Ruins is one of the best tracks in the series. Also, Eternity of Lightwaves.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

Winks posted:

I really like 13-2's soundtrack except for those. They are just awful. I've thought that maybe they sound better with the Japanese versions of the song, but I doubt it.

The one exception is crazy chocobo because of the 'what the hell is this' hilarity factor.

The metal songs in XIII-2 are pretty bad, Crazy Chocobo aside. The poppy vocal tracks are pretty great overall, though. Plains of Eternity is incredible.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

Nathilus posted:

To everyone who talked poo poo about Advent Children, gently caress you. It's flawed in various ways but the nonstop barrage of awesome characters, locations, and combat make it a one way ticket to nerdgasmville.

Here are some things that actually happen over the course of the movie: Tifa gets hurled at a wall and owns the loving landing, nearly destroying the back wall of Aeris' church. Cloud beats the poo poo out of Bahamut in mid-air after being boosted into the stratosphere by a gravity defying chain of his friends. Everyone smugly sits around on the airship while Cloud beats the crap out of Sephiroth by using the Six Paths of Pain. Cloud continually pulls other swords out of his sword :black101:. Reno and Rude walk around all over the place being awesome and getting their asses kicked. Rufus outshines anything he does in the games and pisses off the whiny wannabe Sephiroths by DODGING A loving BULLET and hurling himself off of a giant building with Jenova's core in hand.

I could go on and on. Such a good movie. Then again my favorite movie ever is Big Trouble in Little China, so clearly I have a tolerance for good cheese.
This is pretty much exactly why Advent Children is so bad.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

Nathilus posted:

I don't know what to tell you man, you seem to be from some sort of negaverse where fun sucks.

Then how exactly am I having so much fun? It's a paradox.

XIII has a fantastic universe and mythology, but the writers don't know how to implement it right.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

Saoshyant posted:

Versus XIII may come out in 2015, but by then Nomura will want to use a new engine and port the game to the PS4, so 2017. Maybe.

I played both and I know which plot I liked and which one I didn't. Thank you. I'll take the monsters on the moon dropping in a funnel to Earth while Squall just whatevers the gently caress out of them, any day.

I wouldn't. FF8's plot is a thorough trainwreck without any redeeming qualities, and the ones that it might have (child soldiers, Squall/Seifer rivalry, etc.) are buried underneath huge mounds of poo poo. Even XIII's story is better, and it's not like it takes much.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

Level Slide posted:

Type-0 looks like it has that child soldier thing like early FF8. Does that also get buried under crystals, paradoxes, and Yeul?

It gets buried under zero character development and a really botched latter half of plot.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

Level Slide posted:

So it's Final Fantasy 8?

Now that I think about it... yeah! Yeah it is!

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

Schwartzcough posted:

Actually, that sounds like a common complaint of the middle span of Final Fantasies, anyway.
FF6- "World of Balance was great, but the World of Ruin is just unfocused wandering."
FF7- "Midgar was awesome, but then it turns into another generic JRPG world and more incoherent as the story goes on."
FF8- "The Child soldier thing was great, but then it all goes to poo poo after the assassination mission."
FF9- "The first two disks were great, but the last two were just bleh."

Eh, I dunno if it works for IX. The story's still really great in Disc 3 and you have moments like Bahamut v. Alexander and Trance Kuja to really spice the story up. That and Esto Gaza, my favorite FF town. Disc 4 has the greatness of Memoria, which is all it really needs. I think the only legitimate problem with IX's story is Necron.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

Epi Lepi posted:

FF8 kept its focus longer than that I think. I'd argue that it's pretty focused up until Edea stops being possessed by Ultimecia. Then things start getting really really screwy.

I dunno about that at all. The fact that Squall takes a near-fatal wound and then is magically better with no holes in his clothes or any sign of the wound is bizarre enough. Any cohesiveness in FF8 is only felt in Disc 1. Afterward, everything just kind of falls apart.

Azure_Horizon fucked around with this message at 22:17 on May 22, 2012

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

Tempo 119 posted:

That cutscene had battle physics is all. She did her limit break on him, and if I remember right someone literally casts Cure on him in prison to heal him up.

That's all that is ever mentioned about his wound. You're confusing scenes -- Selphie casts Cure on a wounded Moomba right after.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene
Except nowhere is it shown where he was healed, when it was done, who it was by, nothing. It's as if it never happened, and if we're supposed to imply that someone casted Cure on him then that's just dumb. It's a plothole in a game that has enough plotholes to fill a meteorite crater.

Azure_Horizon fucked around with this message at 23:27 on May 22, 2012

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

W.T. Fits posted:

And it shouldn't have to be if you can be assed to remember that magic healing exists and logical enough to extrapolate that conclusion on your own. I would rather have the game developers assume I'm smart enough to draw a simple logical conclusion than have them assume I'm dumb enough to need every minor plot detail explained away because otherwise "OH MY GOD THIS MAKES NO SENSE".

The game's pacing is already atrocious. Do you really need an extra five to ten minute scene of Edea monologuing as she or one of her goons casts Curaga on Squall before cuffing his unconscious rear end and dragging him off to prison?

It would take all of two seconds, which is how long it took for Selphie to heal a Moomba following the scene. It would have been better than Squall having a ridiculous dumb-sounding inner monologue about his wound... no wound... ?!!

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

W.T. Fits posted:

Or you could, you know, use your brain to figure out that someone must have healed him off camera. Maybe even use in-game evidence to support that it's possible for people to be healed by magic outside of combat. Like, say, by a two-second scene of Selphie using Cure to heal a Moomba.

Or, they could, you know, just have had a scene where Squall gets cured or not have him mention the wound at all with him just waking up to find himself imprisoned.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

Saoshyant posted:

Yeah, if my last memory was of me being pierced by a magic popcicle and bleed to death in front of Rinoa, when I would next wake up I wouldn't even wonder what the hell happened and why there is no longer a hole in my chest. Makes sense.

It would fit well with everything else FF8 fails to explain about anything.

The point is that it comes off as a dumb scene. Like someone else pointed out, if Squall can't even figure out how he got healed, then why should we infer anything?

If Squall had said, "My wound... no wound... must have been a Cure spell..." then the whole scene would work. Instead, it just leaves a huge hole in what happened.

Azure_Horizon fucked around with this message at 01:06 on May 23, 2012

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

W.T. Fits posted:

Because then your laziness just makes you come across as being stupider than Squall. He didn't think of it because it wasn't important. You're deliberately choosing not to think of it because he didn't.

Because a character in-game should be able to recognize some semblance of the universe's logic, ESPECIALLY when another character proceeds to Cure someone else five minutes later. It's outright non-explanation, much like most of the rest of FF8. It's the point where the game just has things happening and refuses to actually explain any of it, besides "oh poo poo that was cool!"

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

Valigarmanda posted:

Discussion over.

In other news: I think I preferred Tritoch over Valigarmanda for the name of that Esper. What the hell is a Valigarmanda anyway? However, I do like that he was subtly hinted at existing in FFXIII-2.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

Valigarmanda posted:

Did you pronounce it Try-toch or Tri-tock or tree-tock? I've heard so many different ways!

Try-toch and tri-tock have the same pronunciation. :) But that one.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

Himuro posted:

Jesus Christ, I looked at my subscriptions and noticed, hey! Over 100+ posts! Maybe there's some news on a new FF game, because after all, E3 is in a few weeks!

And then I clicked the read latest posts button.

Haha. In short, I agree with WTFits. FF8 is a game that repeatedly uses a specific storytelling technique where they don't explain basic poo poo because they expect the player to be on the ball. It's painfully obvious that is how Squall is alive. He was needed for interrogation, what does Edea gain from his death? Nothing. Maybe they could have added a "Maybe they healed me? But for what?" after the "no wound?" line, maybe not. But the logic is already there and merits zero questioning beyond petty fan discussion.

I find it interesting how a lot of FF8's detractors complain about the story and storytelling but then end up being mad that certain things aren't specifically said, but are heavily implied and need the game to guide them to understand what's going on , like in any every other Final Fantasy. Isn't it ironic that their favorite entry to hate on for its story is also the one Final Fantasy - besides 12, of course :allears: - that does gives its audience enough credit to figure out what's going on without explaining and hand holding them through each and every detail?
This definitely explains why nothing past Disc 1 makes any sense, of course.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

Epi Lepi posted:

Again, I call bullshit, the game makes fine sense up until Ultimecia comes out of nowhere and you're like "Wait what? Edea's not the main villain??" I think that's on the third disc, but maybe its on the second. Yeah the story falls apart like every Final Fantasy game, but you gotta be pretty thick to not be able to follow the game immediately after Disc 1.

1. The Orphanage bit makes no sense, not that it's a particularly important plot point. It throws in the bit of Guardian Forces causing amnesia for a completely unexplained reason ("it just does" is not an explanation).

2. Ellone transporting Squall physically through time when previously all she could do was send a person's consciousness

3. Anything involving Squall and Rinoa's relationship makes no sense whatsoever.

4. Ultimecia and witch succession are a complete asspull.

5. Adel, despite the Laguna flashback, has 5 minutes of no reason for being in the story at all.

Unfortunately, these bits are central to the storyline and why nothing past Disc 1 makes sense.

Azure_Horizon fucked around with this message at 21:45 on May 24, 2012

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

Epi Lepi posted:

I'm just saying there's a bunch of stuff in between the end of Disc 1 and Esther, which is when all of that stuff takes place, with the exception of the Orphanage/Amnesia reveal. Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't it mentioned prior to then that GFs can mess with people's memories? I feel like there was some mention of that in Balamb at some point.

It's mentioned once in the study terminal in the beginning of the game, but it's never explained why or how (except that, for some reason, it tampers with the section of memory in the brain), since it directly conflicts with the idea of Junctioning (since that apparently has no negative effects, and what if I simply played FF8 using no GFs?).

It's magic amnesia, plain and simple, and it's superbly contrived.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

Schwartzcough posted:

At the very least, the missile base is meaningless because, despite setting the "Error ratio" on the missiles to max (why is that even an option?), they STILL would've nuked the Garden if it hadn't moved. As a matter of fact, if you hadn't messed with the error ratio at all, Garden would've been safer because all the missiles would've hit where Garden WAS instead of exploding all around it as it flew off. Maybe it was such a close call because the missiles had evil Sauron eyes for some stupid reason.

FF8 really is a mess. Watching the latest LP really lets you pick out how almost every scene introduces several plot holes, or things that can theoretically be explained but only if the explanation is that everyone is monumentally retarded. It's pretty clear that no one on the writing staff really took a hard, critical look at the script after it was written and asked, "does this make sense?"

Edit:

On the other hand, FFX. gently caress all the ultimate weapon nonsense in that game.

When I was playing the game, I had totally forgotten how absolutely stupid the Missile Base sequence was. I mean, wow. Just... wow. There was zero point to ever going there. The funny part was that even though we hosed with the error ratio, Trabia still got bombed and that part always makes me giggle.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

Tempo 119 posted:

The guy writing it though, no offense, but I'm pretty sure FF8 killed his dog or something. What other impression could you possibly get through that kind of lens?

I stated upfront that I think FF8 is a good game, with a fuckton of flaws and the worst story in the series.

If you think that somehow altered the quality of the LP, then you're wrong. I went in-depth in pretty much everything the game has to offer, regardless of my stance.

And many, many others agreed with me on my overall view of the game.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

Himuro posted:

Fellow Final Fantasy XII fans:

Fake or not fake?

Sounds exactly like Fortress, which was canceled.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

Pesky Splinter posted:

Goddamn, Cid is filthy. No wonder Edea left him for a while. :v:

Doesn't the rewrite also having all the women trying to jump Squall's, ahem, Thay's bones every other page?

Which would be a bit more appropriate for kids of their age, especially considering Squall has some sort of appeal to two of them anyway, despite having zero personality and being a complete loving douchebag.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

NikkolasKing posted:

Just because you're a teenager and perpetually horny doesn't mean you actually want to gently caress everyone near you. Garnet was sixteen and even when she acknowledged her feelings for Zidane she didn't try to screw him.

So no, I don't think it's more appropriate for people trying to save the world to start humping each other. That would make the story even worse. Hell, it even sounds like Buffy Season 7 and you can't get much worse than that.

And this age talk here and in the FFXLP thread has made me realize something. People whine about characters being too young or whatever in JRPGs but I never really noticed or cared. For instance, I had to look up Ashe's and Cecil's ages. They were 19 and 20 respectively. Some might say this is unrealistically young and even if we ignore how stupid the realism argument is, both of them ere amazingly mature and sophisticated for their ages.

So let them be 19, 20 or 12 for all I care. I don't see what the big deal is.

Anything would make the FF8 characters act more appropriately their age. Anything. The developers knew jack loving all how teenagers actually act. The only character they even bothered to get right was Zell.

Azure_Horizon fucked around with this message at 23:55 on May 28, 2012

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene
Women are painted in an incredibly superficial manner a lot of the time in the series. Ritz is probably one of the worst ones, though.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

Krad posted:

I thought it was okay considering everyone would pick on her if she stopped dying her hair (and she had to do it every morning for some reason). :(

She's ashamed because her hair is naturally white; I mean that's pretty cool, but because white is associated with age, and such...

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UVX0OUO9ptU

Oh Square, you are still gods of visual design.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

Himuro posted:

A bunch of mages are being attacked by guerrillas with guns. Somehow the guerrillas have a serum that can make wolves gigantic and hulking, with spikes bursting from their backs. Then a giant magical beast breaks free and saves our fair maiden!

These elements aren't random at ALL - no sir!

Who cares? It looks cool and could make for a good game if they explain what's going on. It's not difficult to see that it's a magic vs. technology war -- the insurgents have chemicals that can genetically gently caress with animals as well as carry modern weaponry, the mages have magic that can electrify and summon beasts.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

Himuro posted:

It's pretty hard to get excited when everything this company has showed us ends up going down in flames or delayed to the point where the popular sentiment is one of apathy. It looks neat, but honestly, who really cares? At least coming from Square-Enix of all companies?

Because it's a sign of possible things to come and you're just superbly cynical?

There's really no pleasing any FF fans it seems. Anywhere. With anything.

VVVV Exactly. FFXIII-2 was a fantastic game and I continue to look forward to what they come out with.

Azure_Horizon fucked around with this message at 09:40 on Jun 6, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

Schwartzcough posted:

Kinda like FF8, your favoritest FF?

We're talking about games that make actual sense here.

Also, Drakengard II's OST is better than the first and is one of my favorite soundtracks ever.