Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

FFTA is good, it's just worse than FFT in every single way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

corn in the bible posted:

i liked that concentrate even worked with their instant-kill moves, meaning assassins could kill everyone instantly with no problems

And if the enemy happened to be immune to instant KO they could just Ultima it from like 8 tiles away with a bow.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Attitude Indicator posted:

i just tried ff14 for a couple of hours. i don't know what to say. I've never seen such a clusterfuck of a HUD in a game before, and i have no idea whats going on. is this standard for mmos?

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Kurtofan posted:

poo poo I didn't know about this! Dragon Quest is a big series though.

Too bad the music isn't that good.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Dubious posted:

Lightning Returns is probably the best Final Fantasy game in years.

I didn't realize that the state of Final Fantasy games was that dire.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Instead of Dragon quest the next Theatrhythm should be just Theatrhytm: All RPGs ever edition.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Just ignore all three.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

The Machine posted:

When are these loving tracks dropping, I need Vamo' Alla Flamenco in my life.

February 19th apparently.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Nuebot posted:

Kind of disappointed they only have two FMS songs for the nier music on the japanese site. But anyway, when will we get that? Nier is still one of my favorite games and I'll definitely buy that asap.

Well, I just bought and downloaded them right now. I'm from Europe so it might not be out in america yet.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Xavier434 posted:

I don't own one because mobile gaming doesn't suit me and I don't enjoy playing games on small screens like that. However, if they made a "super gameboy" version of the 3DS compatible with the Wii U then holy crap. I would easily throw down double what a 3DS costs now for something like that.

Edit: Or heck, there is no need to make it compatible with the Wii U like the Super Gameboy was with the SNES. Any tech that lets me play 3DS games on my big screen is all that I want.

The 3DS is 240p. You really don't want to watch those games on a big screen.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

mateo360 posted:

And yet the GBA Virtual console games are on the Wii U instead of the 3DS

At least those are all 2D. But yes, it's extremely stupid.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

morallyobjected posted:

It's also not even applicable to XIII, really. Sure, you can steamroll most of the trash mobs with auto-attack, but that's nothing new. There are plenty of other enemies and bosses that will wreck you if all you do is attack. You still need to heal, and applying buffs/debuffs makes those fights much more manageable.

If the trash is so trivial, why does it even exist?

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

CottonWolf posted:

That's exactly how I feel. If they're going the action route, I'd much rather they gave me something like a Devil May Cry with stats than whatever that system was.

There is not a single person at Square Enix who is capable of making a good character action game.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

DrNutt posted:

Widescreen was in the original because I remember using it with my PS2 hooked to my widescreen tv via component cables. That said, I want the same thing.

The XII widescreen support is actually pretty bad and you lose a bit from the top and bottom of your screen if you are using it. If you are using an emulator you can use an actual widescreen patch and it's much better.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Harrow posted:

Is that true of IZJS as well? I don't think I even knew there was a widescreen patch.

Yes.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

"Most ambitious rpg ever"

Sure, whatever you say.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

How Rude posted:

People have quit FFT because they thought the game was just Ramza and Delita vs. 6 different enemies, instead of hitting L1 or R1 at the formation screen.

I refuse to believe that there are people this stupid.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

There is a difference between making the mistake once/twice at the beginning and literally quitting the game over it.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Help Im Alive posted:

Stylus is probably the best control method I think but it's just personal preference

I've heard people that use buttons say they're kinda bad for the field songs though so maybe keep that in mind.

Using buttons in some parts of the field songs is kind of finicky at first. After you learn how to do it properly it works just as well as the stylus.

I personally use buttons because the stylus controls just didn't feel right for me. Both control schemes seem fine for all levels of play.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

The fact that the later bosses in Bravely default assumed that you were actually competent at the game was really refreshing. Almost all RPGs get far too easy if you do any optimization at all.

Andrast fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Mar 20, 2015

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Pureauthor posted:

When you start paying attention to the plot.

So never?

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

The only good Final Fantasy is Theatrhythm Curtain Call.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

ConanThe3rd posted:

That sounds like it's the best port then.

It sounds identical to the iOS version that was released years ago.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

John Quixote posted:

Thanks for all the feedback, guys. I had originally gotten 1.3 because I heard a lot of things in FFT were non-functional or bugged and it looked like the most complete patch. I'm relieved to hear my frustration is shared. At least I'm not far in the game at all - I'm going to either just play vanilla for my first playthrough or try the LFT mod because I like how it keeps the rebalances and some difficulty while seemingly streamlining it (depending on what's better). Thank you!

Just play vanilla.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

What is the best way to play FF5 and FF6 these days?

I have access to all of the relevant consoles (and phones if the ports are good). I'm also fine with playing them on an emulator.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

NikkolasKing posted:

It should be noted the guy crawled all the way from Zanarkand to the bottom of Mt. Gagazet while dying in order to find someone who could look after Yuna.

Wow, Auron got really lucky that he didn't run into any random encounters.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Saoshyant posted:

I have eight hours left to decide if I want to preorder Type-0 on Steam or not. I have not played any version of this game before even though it caught my eye way back on the PSP. I also know the story is a huge mess, though not the details because I didn't want to spoiler myself. So it's a good time for someone to convince me not to buy this thing 'cause I'm listening. On the good side it's 22€ with bonus Dota 2 items I can probably flip to lower up the price even more. On the other, I don't see anyone clamoring for it anywhere.

It's bad.

Okay it's not bad, it's mediocre. Buy it when it's $5 or less on a Steam sale.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

In Training posted:

What benefit is there that subtitles can't provide

What benefit is there to keeping the original language if you can't understand it?

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Tonfa posted:

As a non-native english speaker being surrounded by dubbed media in my childhood years would have sucked because you don't learn anything from it

Having subtitles in British/American TV shows definitely helped me learn English.

I also drove my parents up the wall by constantly asking for translation in games like Ocarina of Time where I needed to find out where to go.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

sitchelin posted:

I spent a good 4 hours dodging lightning bolts and catching butterflies. gently caress FFX's celestial weapons. I hate myself.

Have you thought about not getting the celestial weapons?

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Endorph posted:

i dont like final fantasy tactics

Opinion invalidated

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

In Training posted:

Not to dredge this up again, but I'm just curious, about Solid Snake jumping on rockets. I don't remember that

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j9mQKZMOzLs

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Malek Deneith posted:

Is the android version of FFT worth buying? I was considering it because I don't want to deal with PSP version slowdowns and can't get the PS1Classics because who cares about releasing it in europe, right? But I heard some stuff about android version not having Genji equipment and more importantly making an online licence check each time it's run and that's rather discouraging.

If you have homebrew on your PSP (or Vita) you can patch the slowdown away. The PSP emulator on PC is also really good these days if that floats your boat.

Otherwise, the iOS/Android port of FFT is about as good as FFT on a touch screen can be.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

The White Dragon posted:

The cheapo way to cheese (almost) any boss in FF10 is grind up your Overdrives on every Aeon you have and then just loving unload. Or does that form of Seymour have one of those spells that kills them as soon as you summon them?

You can still summon the aeon and use its overdrive before Seymour has a chance to instantly kill it.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

I really didn't like how the stats of each character in FFTA (and FFTA2) don't change when you change their job and are only based on the growths of the job the you leveled the character in. That meant that if you leveled a character in a job with bad growths (that the game doesn't tell you), you will just gimp your character for no reason. In the original FFT you could easily change people jobs around since their stats were mostly based on their current job.

Not that it mattered in any way since game has no challenge whatsoever at any point.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Epi Lepi posted:

I hated 9 and 8 is still one of my favorites. I have never played any of the SNES final fantasies and I wonder how much that might have affected my dislike of the game. Mostly I thought it was ugly and tedious and Vivi was the only character I actually liked.

8 has an awesome semi futuristic setting and the plot is almost excellent but conveyed poorly. 8 is the game that actually needs and deserves a remake,there's a lot of potential in it that wasn't executed well.

No.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Erg posted:

I mean the point of perma death and auto saving was that you just lived with the hand that got dealt to you

I don't know anybody who doesn't just reset when they lose a character in fire emblem unless they are doing a specific ironman run or something.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

Why not play on Casual then? (or whatever the 'no-permadeath' mode is, I forget.)

The risk of having to reset still affects how you play. With no permadeath you can suicide units into enemies to kill them. Even if you reset after deaths, you still need to be careful during the actual gameplay.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

TheHeadSage posted:

The second Alexander boss song is awesome as well. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sWTT7Y6KM00

Can't wait to hear the music in Alexander: Midas in 3.2

It's a crime that we never got more FF14 music as Curtain Call DLC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

You get Bravely Default early though!

I want Fire Emblem, not Bravely default.

(I'm still going to buy Bravely Second though)