Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

What happened, Squaresoft :(

All the people who made good games were run off in favor of dudes like Toriyama and Nomura?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

ApplesandOranges posted:

Now, I couldn't remember most of FF7's music, does that make me not a FF fan? And I could hum FF9's battle theme and overworld theme (the latter's just Melodies of Life). And FF9 had some great music. Rose of May, Dark Messenger, Not Alone, Ukelele de Chocobo... and of all the voiced pieces, Melodies of Life was by far the best.

But I think it's purely subjective - some people just gravitate to some games' soundtrack more than others, especially if they prefer a game more. And Nomura did more pieces for FF9 than any other game, which must say something.

The only song I can remember from FF7 is Aeris' song, because it's pretty much a remixed, recut FF6 opera.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Sex_Ferguson posted:

I'd like to think we all realized FFXIII wasn't taking itself THAT SERIOUSLY when the baby chocobo popped out of Sazh's afro.

And then we realized that wasn't going to last when they gave "YOUR NAME IS HOPE YOU GIVE US HOPE" speeches with totally straight faces.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

ImpAtom posted:

gently caress no, it's still a stupid scene in the Japanese version, but "well, make it foreign" isn't really a solution because that is what they did in the first place.

Japan has a thing for names. I mean, let's be honest here. Ever author has a thing for names. That's why we unironically have popular fantasy series with characters named Draco Malfoy. (spoiler alert: dude is an rear end in a top hat.) Japanese media, or at least certain forms of it, have an even bigger thing for cheesy-rear end name stuff. That is why we got a protagonist named Cloud Strife battling a guy named Sephiroth. It's why the love interests in FFX are effectively named Sun and Moon and battle a monster called Sin.

Almost every form of media has name symbolism. Why FFXIII's is stupid is that they literally have two characters sit around and discuss the symbolism behind their names in the stupidest and most hamfisted way possible. No amount of foreigning the names would change that because it's a bad scene at heart.

The difference between the Sin thing and Lightning and Hope's speeches about the symbolism of their names is that naming a big monster "Sin" is explained in a way that makes it part of the setting. It's not named "Sin" for no reason, it's named "Sin" because the theocratic government that controls the world teach that the monster is a supernatural punishment for the misdeeds of their predecessors. It's like a modern serial killer, sorta. They would get names like the Boston Strangler because they were evocative of what they did. Near as I recall, Sin got the name from victims who needed a name for it.

FF names are usually hamfisted, but Sin is one of the few times they've made it work. For it to be equivalent to that incredible poo poo scene from 13, rather than it being something that you hear as part of the religious teachings in the world, Sin would have to yell "I AM SIN BECAUSE I AM GOING TO PUNISH YOU FOR BAD THINGS YOU HAVE DONE" when he comes by to smash boats or whatever it was he did.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

The name Sin does work because he's a monster, but also because it's the name given by its victims. Wakka yelling "he's Sin because of our sins!" was hamhanded, but the name itself works in the way that serial killer names work. The Ice Truck Killer murdered dudes and hid bodies in an ice truck. Hope was named that from birth, like his parents knew he'd one day need to be in a lot of lovely metaphors.

If you want a stupid name, you have to earn it and get it from someone else, is I guess what I'm saying.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

I named her "shiv." I wanted her to act hard, yo, like she'd done time.

Defiance Industries fucked around with this message at 08:26 on Sep 12, 2012

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

WeaponBoy posted:

Let's not even get into the stupid poo poo you could name Amarant. All I'll say is that I was 16 when it came out.

I named him Lips. EarthBound isn't the only one who can do musical references.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Shaezerus posted:

Let me guess, you quit in 2005 after four months because you couldn't find parties in the jungles. :allears:

You'd almost think sitting in one spot and pulling single mobs for hours wasn't fun or something.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Is there still 10000 DPS classes and like two viable tanks and healers? And do you still have to wait around asking for groups before you can go out and grind mobs to level because there's no actual questing content? Cause that's what was really wrong with the game.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

So tanks are broken now and the game is still about forced grouping just to level, then? And this is after it was "fixed?"

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

FF9 battle mechanics people:

Was this the FF where Haste was useless? I'm not sure but I gave Zidane Auto-Haste and sure his bar fills faster but everyone's bar stays full for so long before they act that it might as well not matter. It's a lot of ability stones too.

Also I just stole Holy Lance from Ark and can't wait until I finish the next dungeon and can use Freya again. I should have left her in Desert Palace, the lance is stronger than any weapon at that point and you can equip Holy boosting equipment for her in most slots by that point, it should be really strong and would be way better than my currently 4 mage party.

Edit: Not to mention it's pretty easy to get her Dragon Crest to do 9999 as soon as I get an airship

Auto-Haste works but you have to game the system to use it. FF9's got this problem where all the attack animations are way too long and so at the end of the game when speeds are the highest, your attacks get more and more backed up, because not only do turns take less time, but attacks are more and more ornate. What you have to do to make Auto-Haste work like it's supposed to is never put in a command while another animation is playing. The ATB bars stop when you are selecting a target, and no other time, so you select Fight or whatever, then waiting for all the lensflares and stuff from the boss' attack to finish before you hit X again.

It's not very good design but it's the only way to keep the game's combat from getting really weird at the end.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

I just remember when I realized limit breaks could be gained by pressing circle. That's all I had to do to win.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Himuro posted:

When you're level 100 limit breaks didn't help much when you were under stocked in powerful magic because the enemies had so much more hp and defense.

I quit using magic to attack after the training mission because I noticed doing so made my stats go down. Shortly thereafter I found that I could get limits by mashing O. So I plowed through the entire game refining magic to max out my junctions and then just wear while I used shot and renzukuwhatever over and over. I don't know anyone who didn't use either this strategy or summoning and relegated magic to just equipment their first time.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Also a wizard casts a spell on Rosa and Rydia to make them reflect whatever the author's sexual fetishes are.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Isn't X's first boss that thing that Meg Ryan and Rikku fight underwater?

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Momomo posted:

12's first boss was that fire horse, which taught you... gently caress if I know.

"If you meet a version of an animal that is on fire it wants to kill you."

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

RagnarokAngel posted:

Probably because it was really just a gimmick and people were figuring that out by now. The ATB system never really again demands that kind of attention and entering commands as soon as your turn comes up never really works any better or worse than a "traditional" turn based system.

Well, it gets a lot worse once attack animations get long enough (see: FF9). Once Square decided they needed spells with lensflares and poo poo they needed to get past ATB.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

There's good stealing to be had in FFVI in the Magitek factory, if I recall. Also the floating continent. Most of the bosses in Kefka's Tower have good loot too I think? But when you get him back in the WiR his job becomes swinging the Valiant Knife, which is probably the game's most broken weapon, as many times as he can.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

It takes a series of hard turns. You'll know when you get there. At the beginning it is more of a standard "plucky underdogs fight evil empire" story but stick with it. Stuff changes.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

ImpAtom posted:

Dragon Quest games are wonderful adventure games. They are, almost universally, about exploring the world and seeing what lies around every corner. Grinding in them is rarely necessary and they just tend to be delightful trips through amusing worlds. They have pretty generic characters but the characters just serve as guides for the world.

Aren't they still doing that invisible enemy poo poo? Cause that's inexcusable these days.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Blade grasp is literally broken. It's only supposed to stop melee attacks but instead it effectively subtracts your brave score from the hit from almost all incoming physicals. Even stuff like arrows and jump attacks suddenly have a 3% maximum chance to hit. It makes it almost impossible to lose a large chunk of battles in the game.

Kyrosiris posted:

I don't understand people's issues with them, though.

They're an obnoxious time sink governed by RNG? If the enemies are visible, trying to avoid enemies is something you try to accomplish through running and whatnot. Invisible encounters were a consequence of hardware that hung around way too long.

Defiance Industries fucked around with this message at 06:39 on Sep 20, 2012

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Dr Pepper posted:

Why is it "inexcusable"?

Dungeons in which fights are unavoidable without difficulty (The run command can fail) constantly draining your resources is a perfectly legitimate way to do a game

I understand why they worked then, because of hardware limitations. With modern systems you can give the player another actual interaction with the game, rather than the RNG deciding it with random distracting interruptions. There are better ways to make the player enter combat than to make it totally independent of them. Would treasure be as good if it was just something that randomly appeared every X steps?

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

It was called yell. ...My brother and I ran around the yard yelling for longer than I am proud of.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Dr Pepper posted:

The entire point is that the player can't control when combat happens. They have to just press on, using more resources, or retreat.

You can do that without making it totally arbitrary, which is where the utter laziness of it comes from. Chrono Trigger did it by having enemies do things like ambush you or come out of hiding places, and in EarthBound enemies are faster than you in almost all cases. The player can't CONTROL when you fight, but they can INFLUENCE it.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Adopting something that people did 15 years ago in some of the best RPGs ever is only an innovation if you are reheating Dragon Quest.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Who needs healing when you only field Orlandu and just drain health like a bearded Dracula?

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Isn't that the version that was remade with the mechanics designed for people with autism?

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

That's what I said.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

swamp waste posted:

WHOA this is a good article. The design & mechanical analysis are solid and I really like the discussion of Kefka & the narrative "goal"--

I think it spends too long breaking down the character stats when they practically start off by saying "with this huge cast they designed it so you could pretty much use whoever you want," but the stuff about narrative structure and leitmotifs and who gets how much dialogue was interesting.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Aisar posted:

Eventually SE dev released a video of themselves killing it to prove it could be done. The immediate impact was figuring out how to deal with the regen. It involved doing a thing with the boss you killed before AV spawned that was hella obtuse and would have never been figured out. You could either get the regen down to manageable or negate it.

Then SE released Alexander for summoners, which could make everybody in a party immune for a long rear end time, and people started to zerg AV down while immune. SE decided to just say gently caress it at that point and didn't try to "fix" it. I think it was a little bit after Alexander zerging was fashionable that people confirmed how to lock AV's 2hrs. Turns out, if you have a member of your party use the corresponding 2hr whenever AV 2hrs right after he uses it, it locks that 2hr. Also, it turns out there's a pattern to his 2hr usage. I don't know if anybody has ever bothered to legitimately kill him, since Alexander zerging him is so, so much easier.

Every story I hear about FF11 sounds like some variety of MMO horror story.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Fungah! posted:

That's because of selection bias. The bullshit nightmare fuel stuff makes for better stories than the fun content does so you hear about it more. There was actual enjoyable content in the game.

"Nightmare fuel" is selling it a little high. Whenever people tell me about the "fun content" it always sounds eye-rollingly pre-WoW, Asian MMO fodder with a terrible UI and lots of auto attack that makes me wonder who approved the design docs.

This thing with the unkillable boss is just the pinnacle of that mindset, that's all.

Defiance Industries fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Sep 21, 2012

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Aisar posted:

FFXI has way more in common with Everquest than with any other Asian MMO save FF14 perhaps. I guess that's pre-WoW, but it's certainly nothing like any other Asian MMO I've played.

The classic Asian MMO is basically just an even less fun version of EQ anyway so yeah.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

The stats Espers boost are pretty significant in terms of power but the game is really easy so you can probably miss them and still handle your poo poo. They're more for when you really want to trash the game by doing poo poo like Locke + Valiant Knife shenanigans or have Celes deal Max damage with Ice 1.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Like weird bugs/glitches? There's a few that are pretty cool. But you said no spoilers.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

I think that "closed" is a bit strong. There's a lot of room for plot expansion if they so wanted to. It's just that a lot of it (like the pre-War of the Magi industrial society alluded to in the opening crawl) don't get explored because they were under some pretty tight size constraints.

Defiance Industries fucked around with this message at 07:19 on Sep 27, 2012

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Dr Pepper posted:

I still wonder if they care about the American market much.

They want it (because Japan alone can't support AAA current gen games with its market alone) but they don't understand it. If they were smart they'd ask Cavia. Nier was one of the few Japanese games lately that understood localization has to be more than a new language.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

penguinmambo posted:

One heavily abused thing I notice (and apparently this is endemic of their anime scene as well) is a lot of game designers sometimes bank way too heavily on a character's "Star Power"/moe/appealability/whatever, regardless of whatever context we get in the actual game. Even if the story is a clusterfuck, the expectation is fans will still eat it up. Tailoring making that means when it falls short, it falls hard, because tastes can be really different.

I can't really recall the last time Square came out with a solid memorable lead where it really felt like they had done it on purpose or even seem understand how they did it after the fact (Cloud with his bizzare retreatment, Squall's overselling in his original game, Lightning's weird cameo-life in her own franchise)

Do any of the old FFs have this "writer is way too in love with the character" thing going on? I see Cecil's name being thrown a lot.

Kind of FF4, but that's not nearly to the extent of, say, FF8, where they intentionally de-emphasized most of the PCs rather than risk "distracting" the player from Squall and Rinoa. There's still significant character moments for, most notably, Rydia, Kain and Edge in there. The guy who wrote FF4:TAY was clearly gaybones for Cecil, though, since so many of the characters spend time telling you how great he is with nary a mention of anyone else. Seems to me the Japanese audience almost requires a main character to fixate upon.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Mister Roboto posted:

Terra inexplicably becomes the ONLY PERSON who can save the party at the end of FF6 with her newfound powers of unlimited flight, Star Wars precognition, and apparently a magical innate compass.

Even then, it wasn't only her. It's not like she picked up everyone and poo poo, she was like a pilot boat in a harbor. Setzer still had to be able to fly them out.

Defiance Industries fucked around with this message at 10:21 on Sep 28, 2012

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

"Be the plot MacGuffin" was usually Terra's section of main character activities anyway. She got "mysterious plot powers" stuff, Locke got the "protect people" bit, Celes got the "strong ties to the evil enemy army." That, and the three of them pass back and forth the "who knows the least about a place, so that it might best be explained to them?" ball.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

I'd play the original version ten times out of ten with FF6. They messed up the sound and added load times in exchange for three or four ugly CGI videos.