Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

That loving Sned posted:

Final Fantasy I, II and IV have full PSP remakes, which have higher resolution graphics, widescreen support and orchestrated soundtracks.

V and VI are ports of the PS1 games, and feature loading times and lower quality audio. I'd recommend the GBA version of V, and either the SNES or GBA version of VI.

VII, VIII and IX are completely unchanged from the PS1 versions, but the upscaling the Vita provides makes the pre-rendered backgrounds and FMVs look much better than on a TV. They are not in widescreen, though.

Final Fantasy Tactics has a PSP remake, but there are a lot of complaints about the slowdown caused by spells, which was intentionally added due to restrictions of the UMD drive. You can either play the PS1 version with the bad translation, or play the remake on a modded PSP and use a patch to remove the slowdown.

I'd argue for Final Fantasy Origins over the PSP version of Final Fantasy 1, but that comes from a long-standing dislike for the severe crippling of the game's difficulty the Dawn of Souls version of FF1- and all versions following it's lead- has done. Some of the extra stuff tries to fill the void (in the cheaty 'break the game' way FF Superbosses tend to do) but the main game itself is extremely easy to the point of dullness. FF Origins is basically the best port of 'classic' Final Fantasy 1, fixing most of the glitches and broken items/spells while keeping the gameplay intact. I guess it comes down to if you want more content and prettier graphics vs a much more balanced experience.

And yeah, Final Fantasy Tactics is kinda a tossup. Personally, I'd play through War of the Lions once for the better translation and presentation of the story, and then do any subsequent playthroughs on the PS1 Classics release, but if you don't want to buy the same game twice (or you didn't get one of the versions for free off Playstation Plus like I did) then I'd probably go War of the Lions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

That loving Sned posted:

Crisis Core's biggest problem for me was that you needed to scroll through all of your actions with the L and R buttons. I don't see why they couldn't have had X permanently be your attack button, and circle be whatever you have selected. Actually, that's pretty much what they did in KH: Birth By Sleep.

While I never completed hard mode, it was very enjoyable since every battle was potentially deadly. This was not helped at all by the game kicking you back to the title screen when you died, and cutscenes being unskippable. Having to wait over five minutes between each retry of a boss battle is really what put me off from completing it.

Actually, I had the opposite experience with Crisis Core- while I found normal to be really easy, Hard was kinda hard for the wrong reasons- it was mostly hard because healing was limited, enemies hit like trucks, and everything took forever to die, which basically turned the entire game to slowly chipping at enemies while it was safe and otherwise focusing on not getting hit. I don't think I would have minded so much with just the damage spike, but having a lot of fights drag way, way out because enemies are built like brick shithouses and having to play super-cautious because Zack was made out of tissue paper comparatively turned the whole game into a really boring slog because everything just started taking a forever to do.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

Aureon posted:

pretty sure it wasn't so in IV-psp.

Nah, healing was cheap enough in IV too. Mostly because White Mages had enough MP to basically spam the spell between tent points and when they started to get low enough to worry about potions WERE cheap enough to cover the distance.

I think the problem most people ran into in IV was that most gear upgrades weren't cheap, but most gear upgrades were also pointless because most of them were way too overpriced for very minor gains that would usually be obsoleted by stuff you'd find for free in the next dungeon. There are very few parts where buying more then a couple pieces of whatever a town is selling is worthwhile, and if you do that money for consumables should never be a concern.

The only Final Fantasy I can think of where staying at high health was ever an issue would be early in the original versions of FF1. A couple like 4 and 7 could occasionally trick you into thinking you need to spend money more on stuff besides consumables, but those two are also the guiltiest installments of making store-bought gear obsolete extremely quickly.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

Barudak posted:

You can buy high-potions and ethers like water in FF1 and in a game where you're not likely to have more than 500-600 HP by end game 150 HP of healing is really, really good. Not to mention in a lot of late game dungeons you can coast by just spamming healing helm over and over on your mages for free party wide 60ish HP. Granted, gently caress the ice cavern.

I said the original versions, not the easy-to-the-point-of-unplayable-boredom version that first showed up on the GBA. Where Heal Potions restored maybe 15-30 each and mages could only carry so many healing spells at once thanks to it's spell slot magic system. Healing Helms eased the healing burden later and eventually you had the gold to be rolling in Heal Potions despite how weak they were but I'd say probably through the Earth Cave preserving HP due to a lack of cheap, accessible healing was a major concern.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

Krad posted:

SE made their first mistake the moment they merged with Square.

Fixed that for you.

Enix had always been, up until that point, a successful company, with a big flagship (Dragon Quest, just the biggest game ever in Japan until Monster Hunter) and a lot of niche support. Then they scooped up their longtime rival Squaresoft from their disastrous expansion attempts since until just right around that point Square had much greater worldwide appeal and Enix so really wanted to finally make a stab at being a worldwide mainstream, and the Square name has just kinda become an albatross around their necks since with Final Fantasy XII, XIII, and ESPECIALLY XIV being hampered with massive delays and extremely high budgets, and a lot of Square's own niche franchises taking wrong turns or just being put on the shelf to die.

Meenwhile, Dragon Quest has finally made it to being a household name in places not-Japan, the Dragon Quest MMO is doing decently well in Japan (unlike a game which had to be remade from the ground up) and the addition of Eidos has done nothing but revitalize the company since many of it's current hits like the Tomb Raider games, Sleeping Dogs, and Hitman have been giving them the money they weren't getting from the Square branch of things. It's easy to see where the trouble in the merger is coming from, and I wouldn't blame it on Enix. Or Eidos.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

Head Hit Keyboard posted:

While it is easier I think this is a bit of a hyperbole. I'd say it's still harder than any of the post-NES FFs though it's more in line with those entries at the same time. Of course, if you habitually grind like you would in the original you'll plow through it like mad, but I get the feeling the difficulty reduction was meant to eliminate that necessity, and I'm personally thankful for it.

It's not hyperbole at all- unless you're doing the bonus dungeons FF1 DoS is easy to the point of tedium. There's no risk of getting chipped down in HP in DoS because of the greatly improved access to healing (both via White Magic and better healing items) and much more access to early-game screen clearing if you take a Red or Black Mage, and they didn't up the difficulty of the rest of the game to compensate for it. Since most of the challenge in FF1 classic came not from single hard fights but getting chipped down by several fights just hard enough to drain your limited resources, this basically murders any challenge FF1 had in it's sleep- as in you could probably beat the game in yours, barring Chaos himself.

On the flip side, some of the boss encounters in the bonus dungeons can be challenging, but they're also all over the place in terms of 'very difficult but fair' and 'complete bullshit unless directly countered' so your mileage may vary on that. Also the bonus dungeons outside bosses are still boring tedious dreck.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

The White Dragon posted:

Ozma's actually pretty easy if you do the friendly monster sidequest, but if you were unaware of the part where completing it makes him vulnerable to Darkness instead of absorbing it (like I was), your chances of success drop from like 90% to 5% just because he basically gets an extra round before dying.

I don't see how anyone could possibly enjoy Tactics Advance 1 without disabling laws. Even if folks defend them with "well you can just walk around for a few days and the laws will change," that's the worst workaround I've ever heard. Also don't mislead him telling him its story is anything more than "rear end in a top hat complains about escapism, is an rear end in a top hat."

... Unless this is a very cleverly-crafted April Fools joke :crossarms:

I always felt like the biggest problem was that laws could be avoided in FFTA. Like, you always hear some grumbles about Disgaea's Geopanel system, but most people eventually just consider it just another hurdle to jump. The fact that you had so much control over the laws system in FFTA, not to mention all the ways that laws like Dmg2 could be cheated, watered down the law system's presence enough that it was more annoying to deal with then challenging, and nothing pissed people off more then being really annoying to deal with but not actually having to be dealt with.

FFTA2 handles the whole system a lot better, though.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010
The main problem with FFXIII/2's storytelling is ironically because of the two pieces of the puzzle have very different priorities.

FFXIII is a character-driven game. There's a big, wide world and lots of lore buried in it but, well, that's exactly it- it's buried. The core plot of FFXIII is about six people who are put into a terrible situation where even the best possible outcome for them personally involves pretty much their death and their struggle to figure out what to do while trying to stay alive when every other major player on the field is trying to kill them or force them to finish their geas. The drama of the story comes from collision of the actions, reactions, ideals, and hopes of these six protagonists against first each other, then later those who are forcing on their grim quest. There's a lot going on behind the scenes, but most of that is tied to text entries buried under menus and only appear subtly, if at all, in the game proper. The world of FFXIII ultimately wasn't that important to it's plot (except maybe to explain the actual intentions of Orphan and Barthandelus although it wasn't that complex to figure out in the end) and it mostly served as eye candy and backdrop unless you really got hooked.

FFXIII-2, on the flip side, is entirely about the world and mythology of FFXIII. It weaves a long plot about the Gods and the consequence of their actions and the costs of changing fate. You revisit and explore the world multiple times, on multiple timelines, and are drawn in to how your actions are repairing what has since gone wrong. And while there's obviously an antagonist and heroes, they're almost the least important parts of the story except at the very, very end. It's an exercise less in storytelling and more in world-building, except it's a world which the original game almost went out of it's way to not care all that much about.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

NonzeroCircle posted:

So, I finally started playing FFVI, and I'm absolutely loving it, done Locke's chapter and am now plowing on with Sabin, currently on the ghost train. My question is, being level 14ish at the moment, I've done next to no grinding beyond occasionally wandering the wrong way on the world map and getting some random encounters, am I screwing myself here? I remember in FFX Seymour on Mt Gagazet absolutely pushing my poo poo in (even knowing how to beat him), I had so little health I had to spend an hour or two wandering round that mountain in order to survive any of his attacks, and when I did defeat him, it took a good 50 mins; Is there anything like this heading my way, or am I good just chilling my way through and enjoying the ride?

Grinding is pretty much never a requirement in FFVI as long as you're willing to abuse your stronger party members (early) and magic (later). There's two major difficulty spikes that can catch a lot of people off guard (The end of the World of Balance being the major one) but for the most part VI is not that hard of a game even in normal play and it offers even less resistance if you just abuse stuff like tools, blitzes, and magic. Forget if you invest the time and research into Gau, who you can use to single-handedly bust the game over your knee pretty much as soon as you get him and only gets better as the game progresses.

The biggest challenge is probably that the World of Ruin is fairly non-linear, and it's not terribly kind about it. It lets you basically go anywhere and try to do anything after the initial sequence but there's a LOT of stuff your party won't be equipped to handle out of the box and even following the game's hint trail tends to shunt you into bad places quickly if you don't stray a little. Don't be afraid to bail on something and come back later if you poke your head in and stuff starts wrecking your poo poo.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

Endorph posted:

There's no real 'bad' characters, gameplay-wise, in FFIX. But then I haven't really used Amarant in my 5+ times playing the game, so maybe he sucks.

Nah. I'd say the only characters who aren't particularly good in IX are Garent/Dagger (who is less 'bad' and more that Eiko is a straight, superior replacement for her in almost every aspect) and maybe Vivi really late in the game (when Steiner gets weapons and swordskills that make him great for damage even without Vivi and other physical guys start hitting as hard as Vivi does with his magic.) Quina and Freya take some effort to be useful, though, but are probably two of the most powerful characters in the game if you're willing to track down the Blue Magic/kill some dragons.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010
The GBA versions are all weird in their own way, although I understand the PAL version comes the 'closest'. That said, the GBA-version extra dungeons kinda really suck, so the main reason to play that over the PSP version is access to everyone for the final dungeon. Otherwise I'd say the PSP version is probably the best.

FF4 DS is... different. Like, not bad different, but it's a lot more grueling and feels something like an RPG styled puzzle game in parts- a lot of bosses can't be ham-fisted and have to be 'solved' to progress. While I can appreciate some of the difficulty spike (FF4 is among the easiest entries in the series bar a couple of random difficulty spikes at the Tower of Babil and the final dungeon) some of it feels just like they made half the random encounters capable of wiping your party just to make sure you're packing enough resources when you walk in to go guns blazing and murder them faster.

Also has several obtuse poorly explained mechanics added to it that turn some aspects (particularly the Augment system) into an FAQ-or-bust scenario.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

Evil Fluffy posted:

Welcome to the balancing rollercoaster that is FF4 DS/iOS. Don't worry, Leviathan will set you straight.

If Lugae doesn't do it first.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

Evil Sagan posted:

So FFXIV has gotten me a fair bit nostalgic. I keep on thinking I'm done with Final Fantasy (I regret that I took the time to beat XIII) but drat if the music and the various aesthetic callbacks don't speak to me. I just realized that I've never actually beaten the original Final Fantasy, and I feel a need to correct that. I saw some recent discussion about the pros and cons of the various releases, but not a lot of talk about the iOS version. How's that one? My iPhone is on hand more than any other system, handheld or otherwise, I've ever owned and it would be nice to play on there... if it isn't total crap.

IMO, the best version is the FF Origins version on PS1. It did a lot of quality of life and bugfixes to the original game but didn't change any of the non-bugged mechanics. It is still FF1 so it still is a bit of a slog about things (especially healing pre Heal Staff/Helm) but later versions of the game have shown that making healing easy removes 98% of the challenge from FF1 (the remaining 2% being large packs of pertrifyng/paralyzing enemies and instant death abusers)

Yeah, FF iOS is based off the PSP/GBA release, which made a lot of changes that basically removed most of the challenge of the core game. The bonus dungeons offer more challenge but by doing them you completely remove any chance of the core game being anything but auto-pilot to Chaos- literally just hours of padded filler. If you just want a quick nostalgia trip it's good. But it is a poor FF1 experience.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010
V definitely strikes me as the hardest mainline Final Fantasy going in raw, yeah. The game is designed for you to use the job system, and I give it props for that. The fact that it's almost the easiest Final Fantasy if you abuse all your tools is pretty comedic too (not to mention a sign of just how overpowered a couple commands like Mix are.) Outside of that, the only other ones I'd probably note of having any real difficulty going in- barring the DS ports of FF3 and FF4 which were intentionally hard-moded- are probably X and, to a lesser degree, X-2. IV has it's moments but outside of a couple dick moves like damage floors telling you to come back when you've grinded more levels it's a really, really easy game until you hit the Moon and then suddenly goes out of it's way to be as much of an colossal douchebag as possible with what little time is left.

At least, as long as you're not being stingy. I had a friend who was having an ungodly time with the middle of FFIV and when I watched him play it was 98% him being unwilling to cast spells with Rydia or Rosa except for Rosa's cure spells and bosses or ever use single-shot items that weren't potions. When I tried to tell him that he would have a far, far easier time if he wasn't treating 2/5ths of his team as dead weight, he insisted that should he ever so much as touch Virus or Slow in a fight, he would not have enough MP should this next boss actually require it. He continued with this logic even when I watched him Game Over multiple times in the Sealed Cave, as I pointed out that it's the fight that KILLS YOU that you need it for, even if it doesn't have cool boss music to go with it. :eng99: Tents and Ethers exist and are buyable for a reason, you stubborn rear end.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

1st AD posted:

I'm not sure if it's harder (barely remember the SNES one), but it's still pretty grindy because I feel like the encounter rate is about as high as FF3 DS, so just spergin' out over treasures will make you overpowered.

I just beat Asura and Leviathan, super easy to manage AND I somehow hosed up and forgot to Reflect Asura. My DPS at this point is just too high.

FF4 DS is a lot like the original version in that most of the challenge doesn't come from the bosses (barring rear end in a top hat gimmick fights like Lugae and CPU9999) but from the fact that there is the odd random encounter that will kick you hard in the junk, like 4 enemies with Blaze or 3 magic-resistant heavy hitters at once. Original just made those few and far between until basically the end. DS... Not so much.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

The White Dragon posted:

I had to try to see a limit break, but this basically means you don't suck at the game.

Funnily enough, those "FF6 LIMIT BREAK COMPILATION" videos aren't even complete since they only show World of Ruin skills. I've gotten some low-level limit breaks in the WoB and they are absolutely not the ones shown in the WoR videos, so it might even be related to your level and your equipment.

It also doesn't help that the only characters in FF6 who really have a use for the Attack command are Locke and Setzer thanks to having nothing really better to do innately and having broken weapon setups that ignore usual Genji Glove/Offering penalties. Nobody else ever has an excuse to be hitting that top option in the combat menu because they got something better to do. (Or if they're cool dudes with pointy spears, have turned it into Jump instead.) I think those two have the only limits I've ever seen, simply because even thirteen year old me figured out right quick there's no reason for even guys who are theoretically good at mashing attack like Sabin and Cyan to ever do so when I can just Aura Bolt/Dispatch instead.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

Endorph posted:

Is Umaro really meant to be a joke, though? He's competent enough to not really be 'funny' but awful enough to not be worth using. Not to mention you can have joke characters that are still usable.

Umaro isn't unusable- with the Snow Muffler he's pretty much nigh-unkillable and his damage with his Bone Club and his unique accessories is really high for the early parts of the World of Ruin- but the problem is that Magic is what breaks FF6 and the few characters that are notable physical powerhouses have the ability to negate enemy defenses (Locke) get around the penalties from the Offering to attack repeatedly at high power (Setzer) or Wind Slash Shenanigans (Cyan, Gau in the earliest versions of the game). Without any of those, anyone stuck relying on Attacking repeatedly for damage would eventually fall off and Umaro was no exception.

That said, Square loves the Berserker concept but just doesn't care enough to put in the time to make one that isn't bad. They tried with Umaro by giving him mountains of free stats but running and swinging at things was about the worst way to get stuff done in FF6 regardless of how stacked you were at it.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Well now that they don't have to rebuild FF14 for a third time and hide their losses on games that performed well, their sales expectations should be reasonable.

Final Fantasy in general has kinda been an albatross around S-E's neck this last generation- the absurd development costs of 13 and Crystal Tools, on top of the necessity of moving manpower to an All Hands on Deck fix to 14 has pretty much choked off a lot of life from Square-Enix this last generation. How hopefully with Crystal Tools done and available and 14 being a solid game now (if probably never going to be worth the amount of money and lost opportunities Square had to deal with to get it to it's current point) Square-Enix can just get back to making games instead of missing most of a generation choking on hubris and folly.

Of course, it wouldn't be Square if they didn't find some new disastrous way to nearly ruin the company now that they're getting back out into the clear. I wonder what they'll do in five-six years time to put themselves right back into the same spot yet again.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

morallyobjected posted:

Thanks for the responses, guys. I'm actually kind of enjoying it so far, but it's nothing I'd really want to continue paying money for. I have no idea what the good classes are, but I'm an archer just because I've always been in love with the bow and arrow as a weapon, and it seems to be working out okay.

None of the classes really stand out too far above the others in terms of roles. If you're an anti-social goony goon you might want to be an Arcanist or Marauder (from what I understand, they're the most survivable/powerful classes when alone) but everything can do the solo content since even the Conjurer gets abilities and cross-class skills that let them manage the single person stuff and the higher classes are close enough in power and diverse enough even within the same role that many teams look to have multiple different classes in each role for the large party content (like having both a White Mage for general party healing and buffing and a Scholar to specifically protect the lead tank with shield-heals while having some solid debuffs

ilifinicus posted:

Took me about 35 hours to get from being a lowbie to having killed the final endgame content in FFXIV as a Black Mage. I don't think I can complete any Final Fantasy in that time :shobon:

fake edit: this was on an alt character, I already knew the entire game through and through and just raced for the finish line to be able to sub in for a raid group one weekend.

Yeah, I'm not quite at 50 yet but I've only played my Arcanist for around 30-35 hours and I'm pretty much on the final stretch of story missions. That also includes time spend dicking around doing nothing waiting for friends/duty finder queues and leveling three classes up to ~20ish on top of my Arcanist class. This is not an alt character, either.

FFXIV, if you want it to be, is the fastest, briskest, best-paced Final Fantasy in two console generations. It's kinda funny like that. I'm not gonna defend the gameplay against those who hate MMO gameplay (It's still bascially 1) Pick a role in the holy trinity, 2) Learn you general-situation button-mashing pattern, 3) Learn your emergency-situation button mashing pattern, just with nuance and flavor if you're willing to dig deeper) but it's actually pretty short for a Final Fantasy game if you just push story and single player as much of it as possible.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

The White Dragon posted:

IV was my first Final Fantasy game, so I enjoy it purely out of nostalgia.

Either way, I wouldn't necessarily discount FF1. It's still pretty fun in a basic sort of way and it scratches that "I wanna play a game where I fight poo poo and me buying a copper sword is basically a major plot point" itch like the first twenty minutes of a Dragon Quest game, except that's the entire game.

FFI is genuinely a pretty decent game but it's got a lot of bad versions. The NES version is famously buggy and broken and the GBA and beyond versions are just badly balanced as they shoehorned in stuff FFI wasn't made to contain (like the virtually unlimited healing the MP system allowed) and became a boring cakewalk that rob FFI of most of the reason to actually play it.

The FF Origins version of FFI, IMO, is simply the best way to play the game. It's still got it's flaws, but it's basically the NES version with prettier sprites and all the bugs hammered out and it's actually a pretty decent game once, y'know, half the spell lists work, weapon elements acquire correctly, the Master stops being a direct downgrade to the Black Belt, and what have you.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

commy gun posted:

I really like the game. All the guy had to do was wear some pants.

Nah. Fashion tastes aside he does the cartoony cackles and exaggerated taunts too often. I get what they were going for but I don't think the personality served the character well.

That was Kuja's bag- the world was his stage and he was the hammiest actor of them all. It was all about him, he knew it, and he owned it. The dude practically minced and menaced his way through most of FF9, before he just kinda lost his poo poo near the end.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

Ytlaya posted:

Hahaha, I just got to that part in my playthrough of X-2. I like how the game doesn't take itself seriously, especially after how drastically different the tone of the first game was.

How does XIII-2 compare with XIII? I've played through something like half of XIII, and while I think it's a good game it seems like it's lacking that "something" that would get me to continue playing it. I actually really like the gameplay and don't even mind the characters, but it's just lacking in...personality, I guess. Even though it was my third playthrough, I was still able to get through all of FFX-HD in just a couple weeks.

XIII-2 is pretty much the polar opposite of FF XIII in terms of structure- very wide open, very lacking in any kind of useful information and guidance. It'll give you enough direction to help you intuit your way through the main storyline eventually, but it gets the same completionist warning FFX-2 gets- bring a guide or prepare to weep. If you hated FFXIII because it was on rails, boy do I have good news for you...

The monster capturing/battling mechanic is cool to mess with but does manage to rob the combat system of some of it's strategic depth (because they design most of the non-postgame fights around you having a wild card third spot and as such even a decent monster will make the game very easy until the very end) and the plot and characters are both major steps down from FFXIII- the main story just kinda meanders around and is very slow to lead anywhere (for a very spoiler-filled reason, but it still feels terrible while going through it,) the new characters are pretty very unlikable, and of the returning cast the only one that doesn't poo poo the bed is Hope.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

Use them often. Generally even one or two buffs/debuffs before swapping will be much more effective than just killing something straight. Buffs are more useful for trash mobs except for big beefy ones who generally are worth debuffing.

You don't need to pile on every buff. The game will generally pick a good one for a situation (The En(x) spells if something is weak to an element or soon) and once you've got a buff or two you're fine. Piling on debuffs is only really necessary for bosses or big beefy enemies.

Generally if you have any fight that you're not ending relatively quickly a buff will probably cut your combat time by a third or more.

One extra point-

Use Libra liberally on new enemies.

The AI will eventually 'learn' enemy weaknesses and strengths over a few encounters, but Libra costs 1 TP, which you'll get back in 3-5 fights, and instantly clues the AI in to enemy resistances, weaknesses, and primary things of note (IE, this is a physical attacker) and prioritize buffs, debuffs, and attacks that actually matter (IE, against physical attackers they'll cast Protect before Shell, use Pain to nullify some of their attacks, and not waste time with Fog, since that only inhibits spellcasting.) 90% of the complaints I hear about FFXIII's combat system is that the AI will spend time occasionally on pointless stupid moves that do nothing that you know better then to use, and one cast of Libra or especially the use of a Librascope and that pretty much goes right away and most people forget Libra's even a thing in the game.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

TARDISman posted:

Tactics and maybe the original version of FF1? It's been about 7-8 years since I played the NES FF1 so my memory's a bit fuzzy.

FF1 technically had no damage cap, but the hardiest enemy had only around 2000 hp and I don't think there was a way to one shot him without some kind of Game Genie antics (a level 50ish Master buffed with Temper might be able to, not positive.). I don't think even in the PSX remake with all it's buff spells working like Fast/Haste and Int actually worked to buff magic damage could a character even get anywhere near 9999.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

The White Dragon posted:

Nah, Temper didn't work in the original FF1. Master 50 did a little over 1k damage, but you're right: you pretty much can't outright one-shot him. Maybe if you used Haste instead and landed a crit?

INTELLIGENCE UP :downs:

Nah, was only making a guess. Never got anyone near 50 in FF1 because of how grossly pointless it was- gear trumps levels like woah. But maybe that is because of how much just did not work. Like buffs. And intelligence. And the Master class change.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

Rirse posted:

So you are saying you want her to voice the character like Palutena from Kid Icarus Uprising?

I know you're probably being sarcastic here but i would kill for dialog half as fun and well delivered as KI:U's greek chorus banter to appear in more games.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

Twelve by Pies posted:

Just know that if you skip to KHII without finishing CoM there's going to be some plot points in II that aren't going to be explained at all because they expect you to have played and beaten CoM to know the entire story. I never played CoM and while I was never completely confused, there was a whole lot of "Wait what the hell are they talking about, when did this happen?"

Organization XIII is just a gigantic walking plot tumor that just kills all the fun of running around as a boy with Donald and Goofy fighting silly puppet people who got their hearts jacked. They are the single biggest problem in a series full of big problems and they're a great reason just to loving skip the hell out of Chain of Memories so you don't have to try and decipher their own special brand of bullshit. (And unlike Xehanort's pile of convoluted bullshit that infests BBS, the two non-KH2 games focused around Orgy XIII's aren't that great anyways.)

Like, I like the first part of KH2, where the Heartless are again the main bad guys and you're basically just going from place to place resolving Disney plots. But the back half of that game where you gotta revisit everywhere because Organization XIII finally decided to do something besides wear dark robes and glower at people who actually had feelings (despite the fact that two and a half games have been devoted to Orgy XIII's emotional dysfunction now) is just a massive black hole of un-fun.

It's pretty sad when Peg Leg Pete, almost by himself carries his half of the game better then these a half dozen of these fuckwits.

Mr. Locke fucked around with this message at 07:31 on Mar 27, 2015

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Emulation on a touch screen is awful. At least the ios ports make an effort to let you control it on a touch screen.

The iOS ports play just fine (and in the case of FF6 plays better then any other version that's available on a portable format) and that's the big thing goons keep forgetting. If you don't like the iOS aesthetics, sure, but they're contemporary of the best-playing versions of 5 and 6 in every other way and if you want to just play Final Fantasy they play very good Final Fantasy.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010
Not hard to figure out what happened. FfT-0 hits and it's a meh port of a meh game and there's that FFXV demo and that's cool I guess and whoops Bloodborne's out catch you later shitlords.

Meanwhile, everyone without a next gen system gets a free to pay game that looks not terrible, so thats where the convo goes. Maybe i'll give it a try if the grind isn't as bad as PaD's or something.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

Eej posted:

I hope whoever they pull from FF7 is a cool character like Aeris/th or Cait Sith but I'm pretty sure aside from Cloud and Sephiroth the top contenders would be Vincent since he starred in his own lovely game and the walking blob of breasts that is Tifa who is still inexplicably popular.

Good news, Tifa's already in Dissidia, so you're already half-correct!

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

Help Im Alive posted:

I never played V, is it really that good

If you like RPG mechanics, it's probably as good as Final Fantasy has ever done it. X-2 is probably as close as they've ever gotten to matching it in depth and genuine challenge. That said, without outside knowledge V can be one of the hardest games in the series, so be forewarned if you're gonna try to make your first playthrough of it a Fiesta challenge run. (If you are going to do it completely and utterly blind, I would not make the first run of it a Fiesta challenge. Keep an FAQ bookmarked for when you get completely stumped.)

If you like your RPGs for plot and characterization... eeeeeeeeh.... hmmmmmmmmmmm... no. Galuf is a cool dude who does cool things and you're getting Gilgamesh in his natural habitat if you've run across him in other FF titles, but for the most part FFV endures because of it's gameplay.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

corn in the bible posted:

shes basically a stone-cold bitch in 13-3 and its a huge improvement

To be fair, I think Lightning was supposed to always be a stone cold bitch. It's just that the first FF13 does a bad job establishing that because Lightning is first getting purged, then not getting purged but trying to rescue her sister, then fails to rescue her sister, then get's L'Cie'd. And the person who she turns to and unloads it all on is Snow, who just spent the last two hours earning the verbal beatdown he's getting. The only hint at all you get that she might be a colder person is her whole 'those who can't keep up get left behind' act with her pretty much repeatedly almost-ditching Sazh in the beginning then actually ditching him and Vanille when things have already gone so far south it's coming back up north around the other side. Which is both a totally plausible attitude to have in her current situation and gets retracted almost immediately for Hope, a character whom she and almost nobody else has actual sympathy for at this point.

What I'm saying is that FF13's storytelling had problems. Flashback scenes basically establish both Serah and Snow as really, really hesitant to do anything to get on Lightning's bad side and her foul temperament being a known quantity to the pair but even then she doesn't really ever 'earn' it on screen.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

Gammatron 64 posted:

Well, when you put it that way in that Lightning loving loathes everyone else in the party, I think I actually relate to her pretty well, then.

Except for Sazh. He's good.

She hates everyone.

Except Hope.

Hope.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

NikkolasKing posted:

So with Fallout 3 and New Vegas done I need something to do while I wait for my Xbox 360 and games to get here.

I thought about replaying FFVIII but then decided that self-induced torture was not the correct way to deal with boredom.

Then I remembered I have the Final Fantasy IV DS Version that I guess can't be called the DS Version anymore because I bought it off Steam. I got it way back when it first was available yet for some reason I never got around to playing it.

I loved FFIV Advance but I hear this is pretty much a completely different game compared to any other version of FFIV. Any gameplay advice or tips?

Don't be afraid to hand out lovely augments to characters who are going to leave the party to get better augments. For more info on this, don't be afraid to FAQ stuff for this game because gently caress FFIV has a serious aversion to actually explaining how poo poo works.

Once you get to the Magnetic Cave, start treating every random encounter like it's a game over waiting to happen. Do not be stingy, do not be conservative- use spells, use items, do not be afraid to run back to save points to use tents and poo poo. Murder the hell out of anything that lives and breathes and isn't standing on your side of the field as fast as humanly possible, or prepare to be punished severely. The Tower of Zot in particular is the game entering rear end in a top hat mode and it never leaves it. Never.

gently caress Flamehounds. The run option exists for a reason.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

Boten Anna posted:

XIV is a bit easier to define, as finishing the main story quests is about on par with finishing a single player Final Fantasy game, though we'll see how much Heavensward expands on that.

I'm actually curious where Heavenward picks up because while i loved the main story and early aftergame of FFXIV the later after game reminded me why i usually hate MMO raid content. I might grab Heavensward if it packs more content like the main body of the game and less like Titan Extreme or 3rd Coil.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Just a headsup you gotta clear the MS quests in all pre-Heavensward patches before you can start the ones in Heavensward since they're continuing right where they left off where poo poo got nuts. Like, they way the story has unfolded there's no way they couldn't continue from it. poo poo goes down.

Guess I'm still done with XIV then. No regrets, I enjoyed the first sixty or so hours I spent with the game. MMO raid boss minor error into party wipe festival dickery bosses are just not the hill I want to die on. Repeatedly.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

NikkolasKing posted:

I think XIII has already "bounced back." This is the game I heard people saying (this was probably a myth) that it had record numbers of people returning it to Gamestop or whatever after buying it. You couldn't say the word Hope or Snow without ten billion posts making GBS threads on them.

Nowadays, it's sold half-a-million copies on Steam, long after its "infamy" was well known and no one was under any illusions about it. It's also rated 7/10 on Steam which is infuriating because it is beating XIII-2's 6/10. Grrr.

The game was mediocre and people have accepted that fact by and large now they no longer have to be edgy and hip and poo poo on it when they probably didn't even play it.

XIII-2 is a hot mess of a game. Say what you want about XIII, it was built around a concept (an on-the-run story) and most of what people didn't like about the game (the lack of towns, the linearity, how long it took to get the full skill grid) stemmed from adhering to that narrative to a laser focus for good and for ill. XIII-2 was a 'oh hey, look at all these things you said you wanted, they're back' but the game does absolutely nothing to actually make them fit into the game and none of it actually works. XIII-2 has a baffling and obtuse structure because there's so little purpose behind anything in the game- if XIII was too lean, XIII-2 is way too fatty and has too much to cut away to find what's actually worth it. Tack on how much worse the combat system was utilized in XIII-2 compared to the much more focused XIII (Due to, y'know, linearity and greater control over what the player had available at any given time) and XIII-2 is just so much more poorly designed of a game then XIII is, and the only reason to like it more is because you want a more traditional and open-structured JRPG experience instead of The Novelization of Final Fantasy XIII (plus chapter 11).

aka preference.

Mr. Locke fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Sep 19, 2016

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

NikkolasKing posted:

Now I think FFVIII is indisputably the worst numbered FF game but I will give credit where it is due. Quistis has a couple completely optional scenes that are kind of interesting and give her character some relevance on Disk 3. You have to take her into space and you have to have her in your party when you visit the orphanage at the end of Disk 3. She has scenes where she rethinks her feelings towards Squall and how she's changed and all sort of stuff. It's not amazing but, gently caress, you take what you can get and I at least appreciate the fact they made some effort.

And ya know, Rinoa's character didn't really "develop." It started to but it was sidelined. Remember she had that whole complicated relationship with her father? And her mother dying when she was young? And being with Seifer in the past? Eh, gently caress all that poo poo. All she needs is her broody bishounen boyfriend to get over everything. I guess she and her father just went on hating each other forever. She doesn't need to overcome her issues or stop mis-blaming him and attempt some reconciliation. All she needs to do is be Squall's love interest.

That's because FFVIII prostrates itself in front of the player to show you how 'ineffective' of a loner Squall is, but despite that he's a chick magnet super soldier with literally the hopes of the world on his shoulders. At the same time it tries to tell you how bad being like Squall is, they just can't get over how cool they think they've made him. Almost everybody else in the cast suffers due to this because they tend to come down with a terrible case of 'Not Being Squall' and stop being important as anything but the occasional vehicle to move the plot (because Squall himself generally doesn't) somewhere around disc 2.

NikkolasKing posted:

I don't disagree with you at all. XIII is decisively better than XIII-2 in terms of plot and characters. Its structure and pacing can be very problematic at times but it still beats the wild, disjointed mess that is XIII-2's narrative where you can accidentally lock yourself out of the main quest by using a Wild Artefact on a wrong Gate.

But there is, at least to me, an appeal in the madness. I love to liken XIII-2 to X-2 because they follow very similar "sequel philosophies." First game was very linear, first game was very serious, so let's have a sequel full of non-linear insanity. They threw everything they could think of at XIII-2 and that includes the absolutely infuriating bullshit clock puzzles or quiz games and other assorted junk that I hate. But it's such a huge pile of junk that it's entertaining to me. You got heavy metal chocobos, you got Serah yelling at Hope through time and space to defeat a boss, you got a moogle you can regularly abuse to collect treasure.... Why are there dialogue options? Idon't loving know but it sure is fun to have Serah say the cat is her only family or to become a chipmunk while fangirling over Snow. That's what it comes down to. The critic of XIII-2 might ask "why." The fan will just follow the developers' lead and shrug because there is no answer. There is no why.

You can't even call this "ironic appeal" because XIII-2 is a deliciously self-aware game most of the time. You cannot play a game about throwing moogles and out-punning people and think "oh yes, they intended this to be high art." That has it sown appeal to me. XIII was really up its own rear end all the way through and even if you like the story (which I didn't) or the characters (which I did) it doesn't hurt to just loosen up once in a while. I really think XIII might be the single most comedy-free FF to date. Even compared to the very dark and bleak X, XIII is pretty much all serious all the time. XIII-2 meanwhile takes the piss out of itself a lot.

And to top it all off, I love Caius. He's the real hero of the game anyway. He's a definite plus in XIII vs. XIII-2. XIII had terrible villains that it didn't focus on or develop enough.

Yeah, FXIII-2 is definitely trying harder to be likable- I mentioned earlier that XIII was super tightly designed around it's narrative, and it turns out that the narrative is a very basic story choked to death by some of the worst science fiction writing to grace a AAA-level game (someone at SE clearly loved how Mass Effect handled world-building, but didn't understand all the things ME1 did to make it work besides just drop background information not important in the moment into a codex) led by four completely unlikable, completely unrelatable fuckups and Sahz and Fang. With those things really bringing the thing everything else FFXIII was designed around down it's easy to see why, especially initially, a lot of people heaped contempt onto FFXIII. FFXIII-2, at least, tries a lot harder to be likable, even if it's often at it's own expense, but it resonates better with people who are, y'know, kinda mad that Final Fantasy XIII was the only core FF title they got last generation.

Mr. Locke fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Sep 20, 2016

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

To be fair she's an independent and mature as gently caress 6-year-old, she's been living on her own with just moogles for the last few years

e: The further I look into this the funnier it gets. Every time I think "aha, a playable adult woman" she turns out to be a loving teenager

Meliadoul is 18, somehow

e2: How old is Minfilia from XIV? The scions aren't exactly playable but she strikes me as older than 22. Y'shtola and Yda are both fairly young-looking.

IIRC, Minfilia is in her late 20s. Most of the other Scions of the Seventh Dawn who were around since the start of Realm Reborn are implied to be at least in their 30s, barring maybe Yda. The only member in general who's probably grossly overachieving for their age is Alphinaud. Y'know, being the more-or-less leader of the Scions as of the end of patch 3.4 at the tender young age of effing sixteen. Unless Yugiri is secretly like a nineteen year old master shinobi or something.

Mr. Locke fucked around with this message at 11:01 on Oct 16, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

Fingers McLongDong posted:

With a few story-relevant exceptions, I tend to just insert my own ages onto characters unless it's relevant. As I got older it became hard to suspend the belief of ages for some of the things characters have to do and how they act.

Give me an RPG with 30+ year olds.

To be fair, silly ages pretty big thing with Japanese video games in general. Jill Valentine is ex-Delta Force and part of an elite police organization at the age of 24. Julia Chang is a leading ecosystem biogenetic scientist and martial artist at 20. Miles Edgeworth became a government prosecutor also at age 20. Silly things like college educations, training time, and pre-law internships are all apparently very optional and unnecessary.