Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

^^ What game were you not playing?

Pesky Splinter posted:

"FFXIII-3: The quest for more money", or "FFXIII-3: Milking the cash cow so hard, it makes powdered milk" or "FFXIII-3: MTCCSHIMPM" if that won't fit on a box.

The alternative is them taking about 10 years to develop the engine for the next game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Gaseous Snake posted:

I might have to give these guys more credit. The only things I recognized were Tidus and Auron's swords.

Warrior Yuna actually uses Tidus' animations. Laziness or intentional? I'm betting on both.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

I haven't seen any discussion on this, so here it is: http://finalfantasyviipc.com/en

FFVII to be re(-re-re-)released on PC, digital download only. Achievements (meh), Cloud Saves (ha ha), and Character Boosters (Seriously: "Find yourself stuck on a difficult section or lacking the funds to buy that vital Phoenix Down? With the Character Booster you can increase your HP, MP and Gil levels to their maximum, all with the simple click of a button, leaving you to enjoy your adventure." In a single player game???). I think I might finally get around to play VII to completion.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

I just started playing FFVI (the SNES version) for the first time ever, and I'm about two hours in, heading out of Southern Fortuna to Mt...Klot, was it? Anyway, I remember reading that evade, and a whole host of other things in the battle system, are massively broken in some way. Can someone elaborate? Any other beginner tips would be appreciated too.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Alright after having sunk my teeth deeper into VI (I'm after the opera scene) I feel like the game's really easy. Like really really easy. I only died once so far and that was when I only had one character. Several party members just have access to these huge fuckoff attacks that cost nothing at all and re perfectly spammable, like Edgar's tools and Sabin's blitzes. I just got the chainsaw which does better damage than anything else I can do. Opera Ultros died after he got one attack in. I assume it gets harder as these things are kind of obsoleted by the endgame?

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Figured I'd crosspost this here from the What Should I Know thread because a few more people who have actually played the game might read this thread. So:

I started FF 12 Zodiac Job Edition and am immediately paralyzed by choice on the class selection screen. Is it possible to screw yourself with stupid class choices (I assume all white mages is pretty hard but otherwise)? Is there a newbie trap class? Any other tips appreciated too.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Oh no, I bought FF7 on steam having never really played it before (I got out of midgar) and now I've fallen into a FF7 modding hole: http://forums.qhimm.com/index.php?topic=12008.0

I suspect what will actually happen is I'll spend roughly four hours setting this up, it won't work, I'll say gently caress it and play without mods, I'll get out of Midgar again and then I'll get bored and stop playing.

E: Oops, seems like I already found the best mods, no point in looking any further:

Amppelix fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Jul 4, 2013

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Well, there is the option that gets him, Tifa and Aeris into playboy bunny suits for the crossdressing scene...

Also, actually best thing about the mod tools so far: "Revive Aeris" is not only a checkbox, it's checked on by default.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Making FF6 even easier? I's already the easiest game in the world, where every fight you just use the MP-cost free attacks that do more damage than your spells and win. Sometimes heal.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

I've been playing FFVII (for the first time!) on PC now that it has proper music. It has a "cleaned up translation" and that is technically correct since they fixed various typos like the famous This Guy Are Sick. But would it have hurt them to look over it a little bit more? Because christ, it seems like in half of plot scenes there's at least one line that doesn't quite seem to mean anything in this context, or you have to think really hard "What did this mean before they mangled it?" to understand what people are saying. I mean, the grammar is correct and the speech is natural and everything so it's not like they ran it through a machine. It's just, I feel like I have to concentrate very hard every time speaking is happening or I'll lose the point of the conversation entirely.

So what I'm actually saying is, is there a cleaned up translation floating around somewhere? This game has so many fans, one has to exist.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Well, I actually found it (http://forums.qhimm.com/index.php?topic=11649.0) and, looking at the last pages, it seems like it'll be done literally any day now, as soon as the guy is satisfied with his last fixes. Of course, that might take a long time, these types are usually perfectionists.

Anyway, I was pretty on board with it, I'll take overly literal over hard to understand any day, but then I saw this

quote:

"I liked Barrett being like Mr. T, and so did others. "

I don't care. You aren't the original writer. And again, you can play the original game with all its mistakes to your heart's content.
I don't think I can live in a world where Barret isn't Mr. T.

Also, this quote from the translator is quite amazing:

quote:

People are born stupid, with an intolerance to change, and a tribal mentality. The less education and good parenting a person receives, the more stupid and closed minded they are likely to be. Upbringing, education and life experience combine to create the person you are. You are either someone who can think logically and offer objective opinions, or you are a person who can't (there are degrees of imagination, intellect, logic, stupidity, and intolerance of course). If this is offending you, then I am glad, because it is likely you are the exact type of person I am referring to in this section. We have strived to create the best localization of Final Fantasy VII we can within the boundaries of the original writers' wishes. This means that although you may like "Midgar Zolom", it is simply wrong and has to be corrected. If you are angry about this and other logical changes, I cannot help you. Our job isn't to pander to every fanboy's religious-like frenzy, it is to create something Hironobu Sakaguchi would be proud of.

I guess it takes a certain kind of person to be willing to do a retranslation of an RPG, and this is what we end up with.

Amppelix fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Nov 18, 2013

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Dr Pepper posted:

Whatever, it's going to be as bland and obnoxious as every other "retranslation."

This is undeniable, but you have to compare it against the already existing translation which is kind of terrible already. Like I said, if only they'd kept Barret's actually fun personality (in fact, he's the only character with a personality) I'd be all the way with this.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Let me complain about old games for a while.

FFVII. I'm in the final dungeon, I'm overpowered as gently caress. Everything dies to two hits from Cloud's sword. Even the fearsome-looking black dragon (it's a random encounter) goes down like a chump in a few more hits. After I've been trucking along nicely for a while, BAM, one of the dragons busts out Ultima. It does over 3k damage to all of my guys, which is A) more than my non-Cloud members have HP, and B) more damage than the goddamn Ultimate Weapon did with his ultima beam. I instantly lose, back to the start, gently caress you do it again.

What the gently caress is this, the return of WARMECH? There isn't even anything you can do about it besides having more levels/HP (because magic defense doesn't exist despite the game saying it does and you can't guard or cover it), and I'm already overleveled for the area. Of course now I'll just run from them, but christ. That caught me more than a little by surprise. I suppose that might have been the point, but in that case it was a really lovely point.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

The White Dragon posted:

If you wipe to an attack that does a piddly 3k in FF7, you are, by definition, not actually "overpowered as gently caress."

Well, my strategy is to pump Cloud full of HP and defense, and give him cover and counter. Then the others are just blobs of MP and magic atk. So cloud has almost 9000 HP and the rest have somewhat below 3000. I'm very overpowered as in I kill everything very easily, but everything apparently also kills me very easily.

I still think it's bullshit that this unremarkable dragon does more damage than an optional boss, though. Even if ultimate weapon isn't the hardest of hard.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

PunkBoy posted:

The port of VII on Steam is on sale for another hour, so is it worth picking up for $4? Or is it just as bad as the original PC release?

The sale's already over but let's state for the record that there's absolutely nothing wrong with it and it's probably the best version of the game because of high resolutions and the cheevos. It had super lovely music but they patched the good stuff in a while back and now it's all good.

E: It does require a Square account, however, which might bother some people.

E2: And of course it's also moddable. Pretty easily, too, if you care about that: http://forums.qhimm.com/index.php?topic=14405.0 You will need to do some forum digging though, because all mod creators are lazy as gently caress:

quote:

For instructions on unpacking and repacking the lgp files, please see the FAQ/Tutorial section [on the forums]--or do a search, our search function is precious, if it's working use it!

Amppelix fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Nov 30, 2013

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Awesome Welles posted:

God drat it, reading this thread made me want to go back and play VII but the Qhimm forums are down and I don't know where else to go to make the game not look like utter poo poo. Any ideas?

Browse the steam forums and guides, you might get lucky. There are a million pages of them, though, so some patience required.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Dross posted:

If you count only games developed in-house, TLR, FFXIII series, and Crystal Chronicles series for Wii are the only major SE titles released in the 7th generation for home consoles (not portables).

So yeah pretty bleak.

Now you reminded me of Crystal Chronicles: The Crystal Bearer :negative:

It's also known as:
  • The Action RPG With No Action
  • Stupid Minigames: The Game
  • Seriously Why Doesn't This Game Even Have An Attack Button
  • Why Aren't You A Multiplayer RPG Instead
  • The Story Is The Only Thing You Have Going For You And It Sucks

They failed to deliver on every single loving front. CC had cool and novel gameplay! CC had a pretty good, if minimalist story and amazing worldbuilding! And now there will never be sequels.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Dross posted:

That is actually a dealbreaker for me. I was mulling over the "Add to cart" button until I read that.

This is why everyone should own a Logitech gamepad, they allow you to switch the inputs of the d-pad and stick between each other. <it has saved me lots ad lots of annoyance.

You could also just play with the keyboard.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Tempo 119 posted:

They said it was going to be like that at first, but then for whatever reason they added in a ton of loopholes so you can actually see everything in one run.

This is probably because they realized that The Average Consumer does not play games twice, let alone even more. Although I wonder if any average consumer would even buy the game.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

W.T. Fits posted:

An old guy tells you to save the world, so you go on an adventure and kill monsters while kick-rear end rock music plays in the background and then you destroy the evil king by healing him to death.

I would have no idea what this is but the kick-rear end rock music immediately identified it as Mystic Quest. I love it.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

I just saw this interesting comparison between the Japanese and English version of Squall's dialogue in FFVIII (it's from August so it might have been already posted though)

http://fyeahffviii.tumblr.com/post/72672083380/squall-whatever-leonhart

It seems like the translation made Squall into even more of an rear end in a top hat than he already was for no good reason.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Mister Adequate posted:

PS Sade is right, the game is riddled with flaws and I can't help but love it anyway.
There is nothing wrong with liking games! However

Mister Adequate posted:

Meanwhile IX is a far, far better put together game in just about every respect and I couldn't give less of a poo poo about it. :shrug:
This! How can you be so wrong?

There is nothing in FFIX that is not worth giving a poo poo about :colbert:

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

The current PC port of 7 is fine except the midi music and you know basically nothing about PC gaming or emulation if you think we'll be emulating the last gen console anytime soon.

They actually patched in the proper music a while ago so the PC port is now unquestionably the best version of FFVII.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

fronz posted:

The only FF games I remember most of the locations of are 9 and 10. I don't really know why they stuck with me more than others, but they did

That's no big mystery, 9 and 10 just happen to have extremely fantastic visual designs.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Mischitary posted:

One of the best designs in the series, I think. I really like it. I like how it incorporates some elements of Tidus's design.

I think it's got a good base but way too much poo poo (surprise surprise). Basically, remove the half-dress and the super weird ponytail and it's good. Maybe add some other more sensible garment on the lower body if you don't want just the short shorts. Also, the cleavage window with the symbol is kind of stupid. But, you will notice there is only one belt, which even has a pouch on it, and no zippers!

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

Who compared it to Dark Souls? Because they're kind of dumb, it literally is nothing like Dark Souls.

There is seriously no comparison to be made between Dark Souls and Final Fantasy XV beyond "they are both video games that come from Japan where you have swords." They do not play anything like each other in any way, shape or form. They do not have similar design philosophies. They do not have similar level structure. They don't have similar combat system. There is no point of comparison to be made.

I know people like to compare everything to Dark Souls but there isn't a comparison to be made here even in the loosest sense of the words. It seriously has more in common with third-person shooters than it does Dark Souls.

You stay at bonfires to save and level up :v:

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

Her most recent stuff isn't nearly as catchy to me, but SMRPG was just really good.

What do you mean by most recent? Like, how recent? I have a lot of love for the soundtracks of the latest Mario & Luigi (2013) and Kingdom Hearts 3D (2012. Also admittedly has other composers on it but her stuff is good too). Plus, she has some excellent remixes in Smash 4.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

I'm a bit late on this now, but... you can't listen to something like this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xr-60Rnsp0A

And say that Shimomura's been putting out boring/samey stuff lately. The Kingdom Hearts boss fight themes do all sound the same (with so much high-speed violin) but I'm pretty sure that's just how Nomura wants them to be. Plus, they're all remixes of each other anyway.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

What the heck, whose idea was it to give you Rikku over 10 hours into FFX at literally the same power level she had in the intro? This sure is encouraging me to try the new character out.

Obviously training everyone in FFX is almost free and it won't be a problem, but that sure deflated my excitement about having new party member fast. I understand not autoleveling her, because customization's the whole point of the sphere grid, but couldn't she come with like 20 free levels?

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Well, while we're on the subject, should I look up Mixes, or can I just mess with it and expect results?

Similarly, is there any way (in game) for me to find out what can be stolen from everything and where the good poo poo is you'd never see without being extremely lucky or grinding steals forever? Well, assuming the game has rare steals, but what FF doesn't.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

So like, is anyone ever gonna ask Rikku what she was doing piloting a giant killer robot, or why she wants to come with on the pilgrimage, or what the heck she's been doing the last few weeks and what the deal with the Al Bhed is, or in fact anything at all about her? No? In fact everyone's going to accept her like she was always there because the writers couldn't think of a better way to do it? Yup, thought so.

I'm sure this plot point will come up later when someone finally gets curious about her at an arbitrary point in the story where it is convenient.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

NonzeroCircle posted:

It all gets revealed and does kinda make sense (in the way that anything in FF "makes sense"), the Al Bhed are misunderstood, not evil.

Of course they aren't evil, how could they give me a heavy-handed racism aesop otherwise?

I'm just annoyed at the way in which nobody in the story seems to care, at all. This (that is, characters joining the party in completely nonsensical circumstances where it only seems to happen because the party had to gather somehow) is a pretty common trope and I always dislike it whenever it reads its head.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

If you read carefully, you'll see I have no problem with Rikku or her mysterious motivations. What I do have a problem with is how, after we establish that she was antagonising us just a minute ago, the very next scene is her joining us and then we go on our merry way and nobody brings it up ever again. Where was the part where Tidus grills her about that? Where is anyone doubting her for even a second? Why is nobody interested in finding out what on earth she was actually doing with Yuna? Etc. That scene just makes no sense. They could have just left out the part where we find out she was actually with the other Al Bhed kidnappers and everything would have been fine, too.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Was that underwater zombie dragon I just fought supposed to have a big ol' action setpiece where you escape from it? The huge amounts of empty tunnel suggests there was.

Cause uhh, don't make your boss undead if you want to do that. Maybe they were counting on people not bringing a sensor or scan with them?

I'm now done with Bevelle. Is this about the halfway point of the game? It sure feels that way, although I'm approaching the ultimate abilities on the grid a lot faster than I thought.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Wow, that Zanarkand dream plot point was really unceremoniously dumped onto you there. No foreshadowing, no nothing. Just "oh hey Tidus it's me, the plot kid. Here's the plot". I knew about it beforehand but I wonder how that must have felt if I didn't.

Makes me feel like they either had bigger plans that failed to come through, or this was a really late addition in development.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

So uh, at what point in FFX is it appropriate for me to begin sidequesting? I tried doing stuff after getting the airship but I keep running into the dark Aeons who just deal all nines to everyone at the moment (and most of them break the damage limit while doing so just to insult me), so that's not happening. Is this like the Tales games where I'm supposed to march up to the final boss only to then very pointedly not fight it, and instead leave to do stuff? It does seem like most of the bonus content will be harder than anything on the main path so that would make sense.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Yeah, you can really tell how tacked on the Dark Aeons are. I was extremely confused when visiting Mushroom Rock Road, and suddenly these three weird monsters just kinda show up with no dialogue, engage me in battle and proceed to destroy me to tiny little pieces literally before I can even make a move.

And I was afraid of the case being that the only real answer to the big bosses is to grind grind grind. Oh well, I'm not averse to grinding and the PC version does have the very handy 4x speed option so I think I'll get around to it.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

The game showers you with so much money that I see little reason to pay less than like 500 gil to him on any summon. Also, the chances only increase every time you double your money so if you want to be really efficient you can look up the breakpoints and pay only in those. I think they were powers of 2, so 256 will be better than anything from 128-255, and so on.

voltcatfish posted:

Also gently caress trying to max out the entire sphere grid with everyone. It took me roughly 200 hours of grinding it for me to realize I wasn't having fun, and then I just beat the game

Yikes, that's a large amount of hours. Were you using the method all the guides recommend?

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Baal posted:

Yojimbo can't dismiss himself for giving him a meager amount of money right

Yes, if you choose the pay option and pay nothing. He also hates that way more than anything else you can do, it reduces your compatibility like a lot.

I'm getting all this from here by the way http://www.gamefaqs.com/ps3/643146-final-fantasy-x-x-2-hd-remaster/faqs/69037?page=13#section479

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Tired Moritz posted:

I guess that leak was true. Also is Legend of Mana a good game?

It's fun to play until you get stuck because you have literally no idea what to do, where the main quest is, or actually, what even is the main quest.

Basically, guides required, unless you're satisfied just messing around and perhaps never even seeing the final boss/credits, and definitely not seeing a big part of the quests.