Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

AzraelNewtype posted:

Well, I was chewing down phoenix downs like candy in the dungeon where you pick Ashe up, both before and after grabbing her. Also apparently machinist is a terrible idea just on its own merits, and Fran comes with a couple offensive spells that get no love with an Archer.

Here's the party I used my first time playing:

Vaan - Monk
Penelo - White Mage
Balthier - Hunter
Fran - Black Mage
Basch - Knight
Ashe - Samurai

I spent a lot of time carefully considering this party. Its a very good party throughout the game. I won't bother getting into specific game mechanics stuff but lemme try to convey why this party works so well.

Magic in IZJS is very good, both offensively and defensively. The White and Black mages are the best at both so that's a no brainer. The Monk and Hunter are the utility classes. The polearms Monks use will hit flying monsters, they have access to some useful healing spells and they can use the Wither and Expose techs which are debuffs that are excellent against bosses. The Hunter is there because they get all the remedy lores and because daggers are good weapons. The Knight and the Samurai are the main damage dealers. Knights get to use the most powerful weapons, and with the right espers can even get some useful healing magic. Samurais are great because katanas have been buffed a lot from vanilla. Ashe makes the best Samurai because the damage formula for katanas takes both strength and magic into account. Finally this party is very good as far as esper overlap goes. What I mean is that, generally, these classes aren't going to need to make use of the same espers to unlock important abilities (save maybe the Monk and Knight).

All that being said your party isn't awful and being as its your fist time through its not really that big a deal if you don't have the most optimal setup.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
I'd go so far as to say a better theory would be that everyone's first FF is never their favorite. Played 7 first but now my faves are 12, 9 and 6.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Super Ninja Fish posted:

Sell your 360 and get a PS2 with the money. The thread title is just a little joke. XIII is really the worst. 90% of the thread will agree on that. (Or they'll say it's second worst to FFVIII)

I think most people in this thread will agree that while 13 and 8 have their issues they are both better than 2.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
Personally I like 13 a little more than 10 but they're both a couple of my least favorites along with 2.

Pesky Splinter posted:

Yes, but II gets away with being terrible because of its age. VIII's plot is just a big confusing mess, and XIII is another big confusing mess which tried to be a movie pretending to be a game. And XIII was released in 09, by which time, you'd have thought that they'd know how to plot a story.

Problem with giving it pass because of age is that they made a perfectly good game right before it. 2 is awful in a lot of ways but mainly people hate it because of how much worse it was compared to 1. 8 and 13 at least had some redeeming qualities. I'm struggling to think of any for 2.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
I bet you like 10 don't you Pesky Splinter? Seems that everyone who really hated 13 inexplicably loved 10 as well.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Looper posted:

Hey, speaking of XII! I just ordered it for the low, low price of $6.59 and wondered if there's anything I need to know before getting into it (the vanilla version). I've always been planning on checking it out, as a friend of mine really likes it and thought I would too, so pretty much the only things I know about it are the PC's awful design and the Matsuno-setting. Goons seem to have a somewhat mixed opinion about it, but it was so cheap I just couldn't resist. My favorite FFs are IX and Tactics, if that influences anything. Any info is greatly appreciated! :)

Early on in the game you'll be tasked with visiting a wise man that lives in the sewers. Just outside his home will be a chest. Don't open it.

Later you'll find yourself sneaking into a palace. There are chests in there. Don't open them.

After being captured you'll find a stash that contains all the equipment that was taken from you. In this area are chests. Don't open them.

Finally you may find yourself walking along a beach and spotting a collection of chests arranged in an unusual fashion. Don't open these chests.

More general tips:

You want to be spending most of your LP on the top license board, specifically the bottom left section is where all the stat boosts and passive abilities are. Remember that if you don't have the spell or item that a license uses then there is no reason to take it until you do.

Don't worry about meticulously upgrading your equipment. You'll be short on money at first so just upgrade weapons and armor every other tier or so.

Magic isn't all that good in the vanilla version. Focus on getting the buff and healing spells but don't bother with attack magics or most debuffs. Better to just attack things.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
"History does not make for interesting stories or characters" - someone with bad opinions on both history and FF

Looper posted:

Is this something like the time-travel shenanigans with some of Chrono Trigger's chests? Will I know when to open them or should I just look it up later?

You'll never need to open them and they don't contain anything useful anyways. But by not opening them you'll be allowed to collect one of the best weapons in the game eventually. Its one of SE's most blatant "gently caress you completionists" moments.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

The White Dragon posted:

See and now you're just purposefully misconstruing my meaning.

Ha I did do that but dammit don't talk poo poo on 12 :colbert:

I think that all that pseudo-historical stuff that Matsuno does makes for a really interesting RPG but it doesn't seem to go over well with FF fans since the series is almost always focused squarely on the characters. It worked a lot better in Tactics I guess.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
Its especially funny when you think about how stupid we sound arguing about the relative worth of one lovely JRPG storyline vs another.

"Psh FF13 was garbage. Now FF7, that there is a masterpiece."

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

golden posted:

This thread inspired me to go back to PSN and download the only FF8 that I have never played all the way through, Final Fantasy 8.

I COULD play the game the way the developers intended, but I've heard time and time again that this is one of the most broken FF games if you do it right. I ask you, what's the way to break this game?

There are really so many ways to do it that you may as well just check out an FAQ. But since its your first time I wouldn't bother. Everyone needs to experience that time where they overleveled their party, don't understand how to junction, have no magic to junction anyways and gets their poo poo pushed in by some random forest enemy.

Here are a couple tips off the top of my head though:

-Get Card Mod and use it. Carding enemies/playing Triple Triad is the easiest way to get good magic, which in turn is the easiest way to break the game.
-Get the refining abilities.
-Keep your levels low. Enemies stay at your level so there isn't much of a reason to level up if you don't have to (Carding enemies means that you don't get an EXP)
-Don't worry about upgrading weapons until later.
-In the first town you can find a vendor that sells tents. You can buy a bunch of tents an refine them into a bunch of high level healing spells. You can then junction these to your characters vitality and you'll have enough HP to last you the whole game.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Metajo posted:

Are any of the numerous "rebalance" or Game+ patches on FFHacktics worth it for a second playthrough of FFT?

FFT+ and LFT are both really good. 1.3 is too hard to be much fun IMO.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
Question about the PSP version of FFT: the slow down fix is a fan patch right? Does that mean that I need custom firmware on my PSP to apply it?

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
It actually really does matter for a couple reasons. For one you can't ever change jobs. For two each class has has a pretty specific set of abilities so its easy to build an unbalanced party. Finally jobs have secondary abilities that can be unlocked using Espers, but only one job can use a specific Esper. Meaning that if you make a team that overlaps a lot in this way you'll have to make some tough decisions later on regarding what abilities you want to sacrifice.

That being said like 90% of the games content can be completed with literally any party but some things to keep in mind are:

-Monks, Breakers and Uhlans have powerful debuffs that are very good against some of the harder bosses. Monks and Uhlans can also attack flying enemies with their polearms/spears.

-Magic is buffed a lot in IZJS. White, Black and Red mages are all good, but Time mages I don't think are as useful.

-Having at least one party member with all the Remedy lores is very useful. The jobs that do are Archers, Hunters and Machinists.

-Knights and Samurai have the highest DPS potential at least in my experience so I'd take at least one.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

In the Zodiac version does one job get all 3 of those buffs?

No actually IIRC each one of those is on a different job. Haste on Time mage, Berserk on Red mage and Brave on White mage, although you can substitute Bacchus Wines for the berserk status. A cool thing I like about the IZJS is that most of the good spells you won't find in shops, you'll have to grab them outta chests. Brave and Faith are a couple I remember being a nice consolation prize for checking out the Necrohol early (the Zodiac spear isn't there anymore).

MMF Freeway fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Jul 3, 2012

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Schwartzcough posted:

You mean the mode you unlock for beating all 100 levels of Trial Mode or whatever it is? I'll admit I never got around to doing that, but yeah, weak mode has all characters locked at level 1 (or maybe starting levels, so 1/2/2/3/3/3 or something). I imagine that would indeed be really freaking hard.

Trial mode is no joke either (well at least the later stages) and clearing it takes a seriously beefed up party. Being low level would be a challenge but characters get most of their stats from equips and the license board anyways so I don't think it would be too bad until the end game hunts/espers.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Miracon posted:

Telekinesis does random damage between 1 and your max

Are you sure you're not thinking of Dark Matter? I thought that the telekinesis damage formula was based off the attack power of your weapon and the level of the enemy. I've certainly never noticed it doing extremely random damage.

@Mill Village: Your party is actually pretty drat good. I prefer Hunter over Machinist if only because I think knives are better than guns but its still a really good party.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
Vaan has really good strength and magic stats so he makes a good hybrid class like a Monk that's going to be hitting poo poo as well as throwing out heals.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
The art style is atrocious. The characters are like soulless dolls doing the :stare: face.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
I think because the Holy rod combined with Basch's high strength allows for a lot of damage from a class that's normally pure support.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

TurnipFritter posted:

That seems like an awful lot of effort for what amounts to a novelty effect. Would White Mage Basch with a Holy Rod be dealing significantly more damage than, say, Basch in any actual physical-based class? Because "At the end of the game you can use White Mage Basch the same way you could have been using him the whole game if you had chosen Knight" isn't a very compelling argument and I can't imagine this idea really catching on.

I agree it seems like more trouble than its worth since you're playing a gimped job for most of the game. But what you end up with is like a Knight with a stronger leaning towards magic, which isn't a bad thing at all. If you combine it with say a Monk and Red mage there will still be plenty of heals to go around anyways. It's certainly a gimmick but one that I think has real viability and is actually kind of clever too.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
Well my suggestion would be to not do a fiesta run your first time playing. I haven't done one myself but from what I hear sometimes grinding it just necessary for progressing.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
Well taking both the Machinist and Archer in the same party isn't ideal. Also Balthier and Fran make the worst Machinist and Archer due to their unique attack animations taking longer but you certainly haven't screwed yourself. I'd take a couple mages and a strong attacker and you should be fine.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
What I hate most about 5 is when Cara comes into the party and her sprite is 3/4 perspective and jesus christ it makes me so mad FACE FORWARD YOU LITTLE BRAT! Also I hate the GBA translation of her name.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Safari Disco Lion posted:

Since I've never played it before, how should I build my characters in FFXII? I remember reading a few pages back that the stuff on GameFAQs was garbage. This is the regular version, not the International people are always talking about as I have no way of playing it. Also, is there any way to reverse the camera controls? They're really, really awkward for me.
Focus most of your LP in the top license board. Specifically the bottom left area is where the passive abilities and stats bonuses are. Try to only take equipment and spell/technick licenses when you actually have the items or abilities to make use of them. One thing to note is that your characters will have a very small mana pool until you unlock some quickening licenses. Its worth it to designate a character to be the mage and have them rush to unlock one or two quickenings (probably best to go through the spell license area in the upper part of the top board). Also there is never a time where you are forced to use a specific party so you can safely focus on leveling your three favorite party members and leave the rest as a backup team.

All the characters have slightly different stat growths so if you feel like optimizing their roles:

Vaan: Good STR, MAG and SPD
Balthier: Best SPD good STR
Basch: Best STR and good VIT
Ashe: Good STR and MAG
Penelo: Best MAG
Fran: Worst everything

The differences are pretty minimal though so I'd just use whoever you like best.

This is also worth knowing if its your first time:

voltron lion force posted:

Early on in the game you'll be tasked with visiting a wise man that lives in the sewers. Just outside his home will be a chest. Don't open it.

Later you'll find yourself sneaking into a palace. There are chests in there. Don't open them.

After being captured you'll find a stash that contains all the equipment that was taken from you. In this area are chests. Don't open them.

Finally you may find yourself walking along a beach and spotting a collection of chests arranged in an unusual fashion. Don't open these chests.

MMF Freeway fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Aug 1, 2012

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Leovinus posted:

Is the Zodiac Spear stuff in vanilla FFXII the same in International Zodiac Job System? I ask because I can't seem to see a chest outside Dalan's house and I wonder if they removed all that.

No actually. Not only are the chests safe to open in IZJS, they also moved the spear itself to a place that isn't nearly as easy to get to.

E: Or maybe they removed them altogether... can't recall exactly. I'm pretty sure the ones on the beach are still there.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Leovinus posted:

Great! Thanks.

I actually love the Job system from what I've seen so far, although twelve different jobs seems a bit much seeing as how I'll only be using three characters at once. There's no mixing and matching, right?

Unlike the vanilla version its actually ideal to keep all your characters properly leveled and make use of them.

MrAristocrates posted:

How is everyone here playing IZJS? Import?

Import, rip, apply english patch, emulate or SwapMagic.

MMF Freeway fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Aug 2, 2012

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
hmm quote is not edit.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Leovinus posted:

Hmm. So in general I'm going to have to switch characters in and out and do twice as much grinding to keep them all competent?

You'll find that, especially in the early/mid game, your party will gain more power from licenses and equipment rather than levels. The license boards are smaller in IZJS so you'll get stat boosting licenses earlier and everyone gains LP regardless of if they're in the active party. By just playing normally, and switching characters around to keep the levels even, you won't have to do a lot of grinding until the end game stuff.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Schwartzcough posted:

What? Almost everything you said here is wrong. At the very least, spears, bows, guns, crossbows, handbombs, poles, and rods can all hit flying monsters. Really, the only job that should have trouble hitting flyers is Knight.

I found knots of rust useful for classes that can't hit flying enemies easily. They do random damage based on the character's HP and you end up finding a ton of them anyways.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
I feel like you need a strong attacker. Ashe makes a great Samurai and a decent Knight.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
It is the definitive version I would say. If you can, absolutely play it over the original.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Cyberbob posted:

Playing through FF XII Intl. version at the moment. I've only got the first Esper so far, but are they always this useless?

They're even more useless in the vanilla version since you can't change their gambits or control them directly. The end game summons are actually pretty good but by the time you get them you've pretty much exhausted the list of things worth using them on.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
The similarities between the two are pretty stark. I was surprised when 13 came out and everyone was complaining about corridors and poo poo when 10 has a very similar structure. Railroaded most of the game, then a token big open plains area, then back on the corridor train. I think people will defend 10 by saying that the story kind of explained why they were always moving forward down a path, but I don't think its a good enough excuse. 13 had a reason too (they were running away or something) but doesn't change the fact that its not very interesting design. Two of my least favorite FFs for sure.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
Judging from whats been posted it seems like loving around with an emulator is preferable to loving with Digital River's download client.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
What you mean the thread about watching videos of people making fun of a game is full of people making fun of said game?! And you're taking it too seriously?! Well I never.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Himuro posted:

I feel the same way and got the same experience.

I never got any of this with Earthbound. The appeal of Earthbound seems to be steeped in its absurdist setting that guns to be whacky for the sake of being whacky instead of actually saying anything memorable or important. Earthbound is rpg junk food.

And that battle system? Ugh.

You. You are ugh.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Cardboard Fox posted:

Well I liked Chrono Cross. :colbert:

I like Chrono Cross, but when I played I couldn't help but think of the squandered potential. So many of the game's problems could have been avoided if they hadn't stuck to the "big cast" gimmick. Still, one of the best soundtracks ever.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
If they had a smaller playable cast they could have focused on making duel/triple techs worth a drat and the main tedium of the elements system (switching them among party members) would have been lessened. The party members could have actually interacted with the story instead of just going in your pokedex only popping out to say some generic line with an accent filtered on. Ah what could have been :sigh:

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Ross posted:

Haven't seen much FF Dimensions chat in this thread. What do folks think of it? I'm about halfway through Chapter 2 now and really like it. Something with the character sprites is a bit off (lack of animation?) but I'd put it on par with FF5 just about in terms of fun and quality. Compared to 4 and 6 the story isn't as good and the characters aren't as memorable but I suppose that's to be expected from a port of a cell phone game.

I think the consensus was that it wasn't a very good deal for $30. Its looks ok to me but I don't have a device that can play it so I can't really say.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
Last time I played I really didn't feel like doing any of that poo poo so I just taught him magic and leveled his MP. Still didn't use him much.